I Forgot Thanksgiving Is This Week

DrGravitas

I completely forgot Thanksgiving is this week and have already bought myself food for the whole week! I always go to my parents' for Thanksgiving. Now I'll have to freeze some of this week's food instead. X(

This exactly why I have maxed out my earned vacation and sick days. I start working, get stuck in a routine, and I just lose track of the world. One day In going to wake up and realize I've worked my whole life away.

:( sucks man. My mom has this tradition of making turkey loaf (which tastes as bad as it sounds) since we were poor for so long, and now that we actually can afford to buy real food we dont really know how. So we kind of just ignore thanksgiving or make steak or something. Holidays are weirder now that I'm an adult and can choose how to celebrate. I hope you and your family have a good holiday though.

• Like 1

:( sucks man. My mom has this tradition of making turkey loaf (which tastes as bad as it sounds) since we were poor for so long, and now that we actually can afford to buy real food we dont really know how. So we kind of just ignore thanksgiving or make steak or something. Holidays are weirder now that I'm an adult and can choose how to celebrate. I hope you and your family have a good holiday though.

More people abandoning turkey! Great stuff. My family usually makes chicken and steak for Christmas now, because why eat dry turkey and brussel sprouts? Don't eat them the other 364 days of the year.

I'm pretty glad thanksgiving isn't a thing here, holiday season is already plenty bad for your guts, I can't even fathom the state of one's liver if another meal is added.

For christmas here turkey is the traditional kind of meal... and well I've never eaten any ^^  I've had all sorts of meals for christmas: chicken, chopped steak and fries, trout, sushi once, pizza etc...  and now well... I won't go to my family for holiday season, I don't wanna. I'm no christian, so I don't see why I should celebrate the birth of the messiah of a religion I don't care about. I don't want to suffer through a dinner with my mom and sister, especially now that the first knows I'm gay. I'll have much more joy staying with my friends away from my family, not caring about what day we are on and all the Coca-Cola mascots around me.

Plus I'm gonna get fucking wasted with my friends for new year's ^w^

This exactly why I have maxed out my earned vacation and sick days. I start working, get stuck in a routine, and I just lose track of the world. One day In going to wake up and realize I've worked my whole life away.

This was exactly me, especially for the last five or six years as I moved into management. I would never take time off and continually ended up with a full vacation/sick bank at the end of the year, then had to roll the maximum time allowed by policy while losing the rest (and getting reprimanded by HR for it). I always had some reason or rationale that ranged from "we have a major project deliverable" to "one of my employees needs the time off to be with their family, so I'll just work through the holiday season and cover for them." This not only impinged on my personal life but my personal health - I'd forego regular physicals with my doctor, eye exams for new glasses, medication, dental work, you name it. That changed this January after Ra (my house cat and best companion of 15 years) died; I had sort of a existential crisis wake-up call and started using my PTO days throughout the year. I even took time off for my own birthday! Practically unheard of since 2001. It's been liberating and I've come to realize that I'd much rather "work to live" than "live to work," as I had been during this portion of my career. I think I'm happier for this re-prioritization. In addition to letting me spend time with my girlfriend and my pets, it's given me time to set about the (enormous) task of rebuilding myself on an emotional level. It's helping to ease some of my depression and reduced the frequency of my more negatively-impacting habits. Case in point, I just up and quit smoking. One day I had decided I was tired of coughing and feeling lousy, and I just stopped. Not a cigarette since.

I hope that you are able to find a defining moment of your own and make changes for yourself as well - and hopefully are able to achieve it without any kind of loss as the kindling for that change.

• Like 1

This was exactly me, especially for the last five or six years as I moved into management. I would never take time off and continually ended up with a full vacation/sick bank at the end of the year, then had to roll the maximum time allowed by policy while losing the rest (and getting reprimanded by HR for it). I always had some reason or rationale that ranged from "we have a major project deliverable" to "one of my employees needs the time off to be with their family, so I'll just work through the holiday season and cover for them." This not only impinged on my personal life but my personal health - I'd forego regular physicals with my doctor, eye exams for new glasses, medication, dental work, you name it. That changed this January after Ra (my house cat and best companion of 15 years) died; I had sort of a existential crisis wake-up call and started using my PTO days throughout the year. I even took time off for my own birthday! Practically unheard of since 2001. It's been liberating and I've come to realize that I'd much rather "work to live" than "live to work," as I had been during this portion of my career. I think I'm happier for this re-prioritization. In addition to letting me spend time with my girlfriend and my pets, it's given me time to set about the (enormous) task of rebuilding myself on an emotional level. It's helping to ease some of my depression and reduced the frequency of my more negatively-impacting habits. Case in point, I just up and quit smoking. One day I had decided I was tired of coughing and feeling lousy, and I just stopped. Not a cigarette since.

I hope that you are able to find a defining moment of your own and make changes for yourself as well - and hopefully are able to achieve it without any kind of loss as the kindling for that change.

I have fortunately not hit the roll-over maximum for vacation days just yet. I have the days I'm allotted a year, but haven't accrued all of the ones I'm given in a year (we're allowed to roll over an extra 5 and the fiscal year ends in March I think). I generally manage at least one vacation a year, usually invited by my dad who sets up some trip. Sometimes I get the feeling I ended up just like him and he kind of does it to try to help me.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It really means a lot to me.

So did I. But then again, I don't live in the US.

On the plus side, Steam Autumn sale begins the day before and we all get to enjoy that :B

My gaming habit is in severe decline. I haven't played anything since mid-October and prior to that it had dwindled to once or twice per week for about an hour per session. :|

My gaming habit is in severe decline. I haven't played anything since mid-October and prior to that it had dwindled to once or twice per week for about an hour per session. :|

So is mine. The only game that's really hooked me in the past couple of months is DiRT Showdown, and even then, that's a pretty basic game with limited content.

I need something mindless and fun, with plenty of unlockable content to plunge myself into.