Is tracing ok

Nova

Tracing can help you learn/understand concepts of art like proportion, perspective, foreshortening, etc. but what will help you more in the long run is drawing from references to create your own art. Print out some pictures of real life animals (or find furry art that you like-- don't copy it completely, just use for inspiration) and try to draw them in your own style.

Also, if you do trace, don't claim the art as your own, and don't upload it to the internet.

• Like 2

I think tracing should be embraced as a way to STUDY art, especially with subject matter you have a dificult time with, most commonly hands, feet, or facial structures. However claiming that tracing is your art isn't really a valid idea, since art is a creation, your creation, tracing is just a copy. But I think tracing is a wonderful way to help your mind wrap around things you just cant seem to draw from reference or mind, however drawing from reference or still life will allways help with your technique more than tracing, mainly because its harder, and you really HAVE to study what your drawing. maybe next time try drawing a photo or piece with out tracing, just by looking at it.

Yes! Tracing is definitely an ok thing to do when starting off! It will help you get a feel for forms and such. 

There's nothing to feel bad about since tracing can be seen as a learning tool. As it's already been stated, don't trace something and claim it as yours. Simple as that.

Edited by Vaer

My parents used to shame me for tracing when I was little.

I think of it as a way to practice hand movements and pencil control. Like playing tabs to learn how to play a guitar. Yeah, I'm tracing their songs, but so is my dexterity, muscle memory, and pattern recognizing software. Now I have a pretty strong grasp of playing by ear (drawing by sight), or just playing my own songs (free drawing). 

To me, tracing is like training wheels. It helps keep your pencil lined up, until you have the skills to line your pencil up on your own. 

• Like 1

It's okay as like a learning tool, so long as you aren't just like tracing shit and calling it your own work. Although I'm sure someone with like actual artistic talent will tell me I'm stupid and wrong so forget everything I just said.

On an unrelated note does anyone want to see my sonic oc? His name is Phonics the Hedgehog He's purple and has a katana.

Edited by PastryOfApathy

I remember tracing very little over photo references when I was first starting out with the draws. It's slightly useful-ish kinda.

I find drawing on your own and not tracing will be remarkably more useful for you, in the long run. And in more ways than just with drawing in-itself too; it will train your hand and wrist to be looser and draw in your own way, instead of conforming with what's already on the paper. Also, it naturally strengthens your ability to think and see creatively. More so, drawing something freely on your own will feel more rewarding and increase confidence/motivation levels + + +

While tracing is a fine method of "practice", you will probably get a lot more out of that time you'd spend tracing by just drawing a bunch of shapes, lines, or pretty much anything instead.

Edited by Hewge

I thought he ment tracing from real life animals and photographs..

Depending on your beliefs, some could call that plagiarism.

The point is, tracing another artists work is a big no-no. I feel, unless the artist is totally okay with you doing this, it should be avoided. If you aren't too sure what they think - just ask them! The easier solution is to find line-art templates that the artist made for tracing over. Yeah, it may look less original - but here's the thing. Many artists would prefer the visual reference when drawing characters instead of a novel of description.

Edited by Sar
typo

• 4 weeks later...