The Outer Ring

Terminal7

Recently, I've been feeling 2 things:

The first being that the forums have felt a little slow, and very uuh... unrewarding. It almost bores me to stay here. Having no mainsite sorta makes everything incredibly slow.

The second being that strong feeling of being unappreciated here. I'm sure other users have it worse than me, but I'm coming closer and closer to leaving the forum which kinda sucks

Unless I'm convinced otherwise, this is most likely going to be my last week here or I'm just going to lurk here from time to time(something I didn't do on FAF) & just come in for FurriesRuinEverythingTV.

/end

TL;DR: Forum too slow + self conscience = me attention whoring

It's just something that's been on my mind lately, that's all.

If you want to stay but you're not getting enough content, you could always start some threads of your own. If everybody just sat down at their computer, spammed refresh on the unread content page, and said "alright phoenixed, entertain me!" then the forums would die pretty darn quick.

Advertising it somewhere might also be a good plan, maybe in some of the other furry sites and communities you frequent.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Terminal7 said:

Recently, I've been feeling 2 things:

The first being that the forums have felt a little slow, and very uuh... unrewarding. It almost bores me to stay here. Having no mainsite sorta makes everything incredibly slow.

The second being that strong feeling of being unappreciated here. I'm sure other users have it worse than me, but I'm coming closer and closer to leaving the forum which kinda sucks

Unless I'm convinced otherwise, this is most likely going to be my last week here or I'm just going to lurk here from time to time(something I didn't do on FAF) & just come in for FurriesRuinEverythingTV.

/end

It's sometimes hard to gauge on a forum what people are thinking, because they might enjoy your comments and ideas but will that doesn't mean they will respond back or click the like button. Me personally it's hard for me to ask people I admire on this thread if they will friend me or see if they would like to chat.

You've been part of the community for some time, I wouldn't want to see you leave, but you gotta do what you feel is best.

Edited by Maug
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Maug said:

It's sometimes hard to gauge on a forum what people are thinking, because they might enjoy your comments and ideas but will that doesn't mean they will respond back or click the like button. Me personally it's hard for me to ask people I admire on this thread if they will friend me or see if they would like to chat.

You've been part of the community for some time, I wouldn't want to see you leave, but you gotta do what you feel is best.

Exactly what Maug said

3 hours ago, Terminal7 said:

[...]

Yeah, I've been feeling the same lately

Try to be a more active presence here. As Mutt suggested, maybe make a thread or two yourself. Also post more. Many times I erased comments (sometimes threads) I had spent enitre minutes writing because I was worried people would see my shit as stupid and stuff. The few times I didn't, however, I just threw myself and was able to start an enjoyable conversation. In the end it's really up to you. 

I think this needs to be spontaneous. Forcings tend to make things awkward and unenjoyable so maybe go for a while then come back when you feel refreshed. Just know that to my eyes you aren't unappreciated. Perhaps you just need to expose yourself more. This thread is a good start. That way you won't be a stranger and people might be able to relate to you more. You're a decent dude

Edited by Guest

Forum posting isn't a job.

If you feel bored, that's fine. Do something else for a bit. Do something more fulfilling. Work on a hobby. Do stuff on other sites. Engage other groups of people.
Come back to it when you want to.

It doesn't mean you have to quit the site, nor does it mean that you have to shackle yourself to it and force your involvement.
Interests shift.
And that's completely normal.

• Like 1

I honestly don't know what to do right now. Sites devoted to specific subjects suck and others don't have many regulars, leading to just shallow 'bonds' (At that point I'm not myself)

Likes and responses are important to me since I know that it just didn't get ignored and buried or better yet, I wasn't making shitty posts and being a nuisance. It's like medicine for my thoughts and worries here. 

@Amiir

You probably listed my greatest fear on this forum: the fear that you'd type something that might be considered stupid. After I got some flak for the first time, I avoided posting anything  thought members would think was stupid. It had me close to : "Don't want to fuck around with those guys lol".

@KryptoKroenen

My emotions are pretty mixed up at the moment, mainly because senior year feels like shit (HS). There's a thousand other things going on but that's easier to handle.

@Sarcastic Coffeecup

Are you being sarcastic, Sarcastic?

@Rhíulchabán

I guess it was pretty repetitive, wasn't it? But man, it seems like all this talk about politics, morality and religion will never stop. Sometimes I feel like the minority because of conflicting beliefs and whatnot. Feeling like a melting snowflake isn't fun either. 

@Clove Darkwave

Nothing... Putting in nothing... 

Unless the pink sweater means warmth and love, posting I guess. 

@Vae

My old hobbies feel like work to me now and man, getting invited to every type of MLP group gets a little chaotic. I want to get my old kik group back but we all parted ways over the summer. 

Time to go get a job!

3 minutes ago, Terminal7 said:

I didn't forget your post, if that's what you're thinking. 

But I don't really know. 

I just couldn't figure out to say at that moment. I added something right after you responded. sorry.

Edited by Maug

3 minutes ago, Maug said:

I just couldn't figure out to say at that moment. I added something right after you responded. sorry.

Nah, it's fine. 

I never noticed that, but it's certainly throwing me off. Like I said something wrong that nobody told me about. 

It feels really odd being so low down there by comparison to everyone else.  I'm overthinking it.

40 minutes ago, Terminal7 said:

@Rhíulchabán

I guess it was pretty repetitive, wasn't it? But man, it seems like all this talk about politics, morality and religion will never stop. Sometimes I feel like the minority because of conflicting beliefs and whatnot. Feeling like a melting snowflake isn't fun either. 

I know this isn't really my place to put in too much input, but I feel like it's mostly talked about a lot because literally no matter where you are those things have a huge part in your life. As for conflicting beliefs, just take them for what they are, just an opinion.

But honestly, maybe taking a break would be good, and come back when you're ready. While I do personally enjoy the slower atmosphere, I almost never come out of Genchat and Forum Games, so I usually don't know what other people are on about at times.

10 hours ago, Terminal7 said:

You probably listed my greatest fear on this forum: the fear that you'd type something that might be considered stupid. After I got some flak for the first time, I avoided posting anything  thought members would think was stupid. It had me close to : "Don't want to fuck around with those guys lol".

I usually just assume that everyone in the forum (save for a few people) is a socially inept nerd, just like me :v. That gives me that bit of needed courage to reach out. The SAS' motto is ''Who dares wins'' and I agree with it. Almost a year ago I joined FAF (holy shit I can't believe so much time passed already) and have made a few buddies along the way. Sadly I can't say we're like bffs or something since I'm always so reclusive but these guys and gals understand me, I know that they somewhat appreciate me. I would have never gained their appreciation had I remained in my shell. I know it's a scary thing at first but if you don't give it a shot you risk to miss out on the good stuff that can earn you. 

Personally I think you got what it takes dude. Not that I would really know since I'm a socially inept nerd but I didn't see you posting stupid shit nor making a nuisance of yourself. I can't remember exactly what for but you left me the impression of being a smart guy for some reason. So don't worry, your fears are thankfully unfounded

Maybe someone should start a religion thread or a pro-business thread. That'll get the people up and at 'em :P

I've been kinda feeling the same way in regards to there not being very much conversation or interesting topics going on. Hm. Perhaps we should make our own, then? I mean, aside from Religion and Pro-Business threads. I want something that'll be entertaining and meaningful, and watching people whip out the same drivel they always do in regards to those two topics is about as fun as watching a pool dry out. 

5 minutes ago, NikoLinni said:

Maybe someone should start a religion thread or a pro-business thread. That'll get the people up and at 'em :P

I've been kinda feeling the same way in regards to there not being very much conversation or interesting topics going on. Hm. Perhaps we should make our own, then? I mean, aside from Religion and Pro-Business threads. I want something that'll be entertaining and meaningful, and watching people whip out the same drivel they always do in regards to those two topics is about as fun as watching a pool dry out. 

Yeah, man. I'm about to start using that piece of advice to just make more threads, and relevant threads at that. One thing we don't need are piss bottle threads, so I guess it's a good idea to avoid something too controversial. It does get tedious reading the same thing over and over anyway.

Also, when did you get here? Glad to see you again!

Toy Bonnie's bastard cousin has always been here. Actually I poked in here after you commented on my YouTube channel about it, then I forgot about it (My memory REALLY sucks), and then I remembered it a few weeks ago and have been lurking ever since. 

Also Berry really isn't Toy Bonnie's cousin. I don't do fanfic like that. I just picked that picture because at the time it was the only decent blue and white rabbit I had on my PC xD

Well...he's actually a hare but same difference 

3 minutes ago, NikoLinni said:

Toy Bonnie's bastard cousin has always been here. Actually I poked in here after you commented on my YouTube channel about it, then I forgot about it (My memory REALLY sucks), and then I remembered it a few weeks ago and have been lurking ever since. 

Also Berry really isn't Toy Bonnie's cousin. I don't do fanfic like that. I just picked that picture because at the time it was the only decent blue and white rabbit I had on my PC xD

Well...he's actually a hare but same difference 

Seems like you have a very low digital signature over here. It's good to know you got the message.

Y u no posty-posty?

Your avatar is perfectly fine. I mean, it can't get worse right? (I think it's beyond decent)

1 hour ago, Terminal7 said:

Seems like you have a very low digital signature over here. It's good to know you got the message.

Y u no posty-posty?

Your avatar is perfectly fine. I mean, it can't get worse right? (I think it's beyond decent)

I don't post 'cause I don't really find much to post about. Also I was kinda just joking about the avatar. 

I've been feeling pretty much the same lately. When I originally started posting on FAF it was because I was told furries are friendly and I should try to get to know some... I feel lied to. Most of the people that posted on FAF were crabby about nearly everything. Needless to say, I had a very low post count there because I had the same feelings you do. Those same feelings have leaked over to Phoenixed, but less so. It's a much smaller group (especially when the transfer started), so that alone helped me in my efforts to try to force myself in. However, because I try not to be a dickwad, I still don't fit in very well around these parts because you pretty much have to have some sort of dickishness in you if you're going to participate often. I have realized something lately though, and that is that it's not that most people here are dickwads, it's just that the nice ones tend not to post as much as the mean ones so it's easier to not see nice. You seem nice, so I do hope you decide to stick around.

Anymore I just abuse this forum when I have nothing better to do. I don't check the site very often on my days off, some days never. When I'm home I'd rather play Rainbow Six, watch streams or a TV show and nap, ya know? Rather than trying to think of ways to fit into another community. It's exhausting trying to be likable and I can't figure out how, so I just do what I do and hope for the best.

Edited by Kinare

We all have our slowdowns. Just think of it like the Star Trek Voyager episode "Night" where they entered a region of space with no stars or systems.  Everybody on the ship was bored, irritable, or depressed, but things picked up again.

I found that in the old forums, it seemed busier, but really it was the same topics over and over again, so I lost interest, which is what Rhíulchabán said. I found myself talking about the same four or so episodes of star trek over and over, because that's all people were giving me. It was almost as bad as the Star Trek The Next Generation episode "Cause and Effect" with the enterprise being destroyed again and again...   I'm not sure what can be done to avoid that sort of thing. In the old forums, there were some stickies of the most common topics that helped a bit to avoid duplicates, but then they ended up with more than a thousand replies, which I feel is too big a thread to get into if you're not already.

I think these forums are satisfactory at present, but I don't know about being rewarding. There were times that I myself didn't feel appreciated, with people talking about how they set me to ignore, and were irritated to see my quotes from others, or just the fact that I posted because even if they couldn't see my post they know it was about Star Trek which bothered them for some inconceivable reason, but I just kept posting anyway. Some things just need to be said.  Kinare has the right idea there.  

4 hours ago, Kinare said:

I just do what I do and hope for the best.

4 hours ago, Kinare said:

However, because I try not to be a dickwad, I still don't fit in very well around these parts because you pretty much have to have some sort of dickishness in you if you're going to participate often. I have realized something lately though, and that is that it's not that most people here are dickwads, it's just that the nice ones tend not to post as much as the mean ones so it's easier to not see nice. You seem nice, so I do hope you decide to stick around.

You speak as if this forum operates in extremes. Don't you think it's a bit impolite to think so when there are plenty of us who are more in a middle ground that post often enough?

1 hour ago, Clove Darkwave said:

You speak as if this forum operates in extremes. Don't you think it's a bit impolite to think so when there are plenty of us who are more in a middle ground that post often enough?

Maybe I just post at the wrong times, but I seem to see a lot more rawr and a lot less nice/middle ground. You're a good example of that, actually. :P This is one of the few posts I've seen from you without some sort of snarky attitude attached to it (you call yourself a snarkling ffs, it's bound to be something you do a lot) and that can be off-putting to anyone who isn't trying to upset people and just happens to get some snarky replies if they differ with others.

12 hours ago, Kinare said:

Anymore I just abuse this forum when I have nothing better to do. I don't check the site very often on my days off, some days never. When I'm home I'd rather play Rainbow Six, watch streams or a TV show and nap, ya know? Rather than trying to think of ways to fit into another community. It's exhausting trying to be likable and I can't figure out how, so I just do what I do and hope for the best.

Same, but that could all change if things got more interesting around here. It's okay to go into other communities, but when it takes all the might you can into making yourself more likable, it just begins to defeat the purpose.

7 hours ago, Brazen said:

If we had a front page, what kind of front page would you want? What sort of content would keep you coming back?

I can't say what I would want on the first page, but something interesting or strange would make me return. Cringe worthy topics don't really allow for much conversation, but it's nice to have them every once in a while.

It should be fun and relaxing with some seriousness here and there IMO.

13 hours ago, Kinare said:

Maybe I just post at the wrong times, but I seem to see a lot more rawr and a lot less nice/middle ground. You're a good example of that, actually. :P This is one of the few posts I've seen from you without some sort of snarky attitude attached to it (you call yourself a snarkling ffs, it's bound to be something you do a lot) and that can be off-putting to anyone who isn't trying to upset people and just happens to get some snarky replies if they differ with others.

Is that what you think? Alright then.

Reminds me, "Snarkling" was an affectionate slang for Goth from someone I used to respect a lot. I suppose since that respect faded...

25 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

Is that what you think? Alright then.

Reminds me, "Snarkling" was an affectionate slang for Goth from someone I used to respect a lot. I suppose since that respect faded...

It's hard for me to say anything objectively since I know you so well and see the metaphor behind most of the sarcasm but yes you do come off like that at-a-glance at times without getting too much into the rhyme and reason.

@Terminal7 It's hard for me to give much input as my social presence is not at all like it was years ago on FAF, but I'm also of the similar mentality that you get out what you put in. Doesn't mean I don't sympathize with the feeling of feeling under-appreciated though, it's a natural response. Have you tried to personally reach out to certain forum users that you know that you've talked to here and there and share the same tastes as you do? I've found that the few times I "clicked" with other members in the past was casual chatting outside of the public forum medium, which also had a positive impact on my interactions in the forum itself.

At the end of the day though, don't try to put on a face that you think will garner more attention to the forum as a whole, just be yourself and carry on as you do, and perhaps that will bear fruit in time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sparkyopteryx said:

It's hard for me to say anything objectively since I know you so well and see the metaphor behind most of the sarcasm but yes you do come off like that at-a-glance at times without getting too much into the rhyme and reason.

@Terminal7 It's hard for me to give much input as my social presence is not at all like it was years ago on FAF, but I'm also of the similar mentality that you get out what you put in. Doesn't mean I don't sympathize with the feeling of feeling under-appreciated though, it's a natural response. Have you tried to personally reach out to certain forum users that you know that you've talked to here and there and share the same tastes as you do? I've found that the few times I "clicked" with other members in the past was casual chatting outside of the public forum medium, which also had a positive impact on my interactions in the forum itself.

At the end of the day though, don't try to put on a face that you think will garner more attention to the forum as a whole, just be yourself and carry on as you do, and perhaps that will bear fruit in time.

Lies and slander, you don't know me!

But seriously, Sparky nailed it on all of that stuff Terminal.

On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 8:38 PM, Clove Darkwave said:

But seriously, Sparky nailed it on all of that stuff Terminal.

Yes,  and I'll give credit for that. 

So about a week later, I decided to stay.  But I'm not going to forget why I made this thread,  and why I commented on it more than 3 times probably even more) in less than one year. 

Truth of the matter is,  no matter how much you try to soften up steel,  it's still steel.

I'll face it, me and this community doesn't mix very well.