Those obscure games you like and/or are interested in...

TrishaCat

4 minutes ago, Mr.Kumquat said:

Old Starship Troopers game based more on the books, rather than the movie. Real good squad-based game, would recommend if you can find it and get it to work on PC.

The graphics sorta remind me of the platoon game of the same squad type thing. Looks nifty!

1 minute ago, LadyRadarEars said:

The graphics sorta remind me of the platoon game of the same squad type thing. Looks nifty!

It's good times. Later in the game you get basically power armor, and psychic abilities. Also there are nukes. I was surprised it wasn't more popular back when it came out. 

39 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I've talked about it before, but the obscure game I like is Monster Rancher, specifically the 2nd game. It's like Pokemon mixed with a Tamagotchi.

I remember that game, I went through so many game and music disc getting all kinds of monsters.

• Like 1

So now that htol#NiQ: The Firefly Diary has actually come out it turns out its really, REALLY slow, and some of the puzzles are unnecessarily tedious. Its still a decent enough game, but its not something I can play for long periods of time while still enjoying myself. It takes too long to make progress since you can only really walk. There's no running, really. One thing that's kinda neat though is that enemies attack your shadow to kill you, not you specifically.

firefly diary pc screenshot.jpg

2 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I've talked about it before, but the obscure game I like is Monster Rancher, specifically the 2nd game. It's like Pokemon mixed with a Tamagotchi.

I love Monster Rancher. I played a demo of it a while back and had a terrible time raising my monster, but it was really neat. The idea of getting monsters based on what music discs you put in was pretty rad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Imperial Impact said:

But isn't that Cybots?

CyberBots yeah. I just learned it had a US release a few hours ago myself. I thought it was Japan only and I only have the Japan version in MAME. I don't like beat em ups, but this one's cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Urban Assault, a 1998 RTS/FPS hybrid from German company Terratools. You create your armies in fairly typical RTS fashion, but then take direct control of any vehicle and personally lead your drone troops to victory.

• 1 month later...

Codename: S.T.E.A.M. was an original Nintendo IP for the 3DS that was a fun third person shooter/ turn based strategy hybrid. However, it got mixed reviews due to alien animations taking too long, which a patch a few weeks after launch fixed. The game did not sell very well, and it is quite underrated and unknown by many.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LazerMaster5 said:

Codename: S.T.E.A.M. was an original Nintendo IP for the 3DS that was a fun third person shooter/ turn based strategy hybrid. However, it got mixed reviews due to alien animations taking too long, which a patch a few weeks after launch fixed. The game did not sell very well, and it is quite underrated and unknown by many.

I've been meaning to check this one out. Sounds like a glowing endorsement to me!

The arcade game, 'Tempest'. And yet, you need that heavily weighted rotary controller things to make if 'feel' right. Maybe I need to build a MAME set-up; I miss that game, and some others. Have played it using other controllers, but never has that same 'feel'. 

I know this may have been getting less obscure what with planetary annihilation drawing people to this but I used to play total annihilation a lot when I was younger.

Very impressive looking for a top-down RTS (having a orchestrated soundtrack and decent graphics at the time) but was forgotten about quickly when starcraft came out a year later. It may be familiar to those who played a lot of RTS games though.

1970-total-annihilation-windows-front-co

• Like 2

Battlezone II: Combat Commander, another first person RTS/FPS hybrid. Sequel to the 1998 game Battlezone, which was related to the arcade game in name only. Had a lot of really neat ideas that took advantage of the unique genre hybrid, like a multiplayer game mode where one player on a team was the Commander and everyone else were Pilots. Still maintains a small but active community with continuing development, including some of the original game devs.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, XoPachi said:

Sonic might be popular, but even he has games people have forgotten about. Sonic Battle is one of them. It's a small Power Stone style fighter, but I always found it fairly impressive for a GBA game of this nature.

I remember playing that game a bunch.

It was okay.

Just now, PastryOfApathy said:

I remember playing that game a bunch.

It was okay.

Yeah, Ok is pretty fair. The story mode was really grindy and at times tedious, but the 4 player multiplayer and the amount of moves for Emeril (and amount of characters in general) was pretty cool. The sprite work and sharp art style was nice too.

Just now, XoPachi said:

Yeah, Ok is pretty fair. The story mode was really grindy and at times tedious, but the 4 player multiplayer and the amount of moves for Emeril (and amount of characters in general) was pretty cool. The sprite work and sharp art style was nice too.

Emeril was OP as shit, but I never had friends so RIP.

• 2 weeks later...