Why Do People Hate Dissonant Music?

axelthefox

I like dissonant notes when used well,
but taste is different.
Some people like harmonious elements. Some people like clashing elements. Some people like both.
Some people will order a salt and caramel latte for the taste, and others can't stand it.
This is like anything, really.

So you may as well ask yourself why people like or dislike anything.

I was enjoying a nice shower here on my campus when someone came in and started playing some form of rap/hip hop music that was dissonant. It was probably one of the most annoying, unoriginal, things I've ever heard. It was like someone went into some music program and just put a bunch of random notes and just said whatever lewd words came into their mind. 0/10 wouldn't listen again

4 minutes ago, Astus said:

I was enjoying a nice shower here on my campus when someone came in and started playing some form of rap/hip hop music that was dissonant. It was probably one of the most annoying, unoriginal, things I've ever heard. It was like someone went into some music program and just put a bunch of random notes and just said whatever lewd words came into their mind. 0/10 wouldn't listen again

You have rap music in the shower?

12 minutes ago, Astus said:

Rap. An acronym:

Retards. Attempting. Poetry

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

Noun

dissonance ‎(plural dissonances)

1. a harsh, discordant combination of sounds

2. (music) conflicting notes that are not overtones of the note or chord sounding

Its kind of in the definition of the word.  Its like asking why people don't like ugly art or disgusting food.

Notice that the first definition uses harsh, but the musical definition avoids this adjective. The thing is what you're saying fundamentally lacks a theoretical truth to it; "Dissonance" is actually present in any piece of music we write that doesn't use the pentatonic scales, which is any and all Classical, Romantic, and Baroque music. In fact the only "consonant" intervals that exist (according to the Greeks) is the "Perfects"; Perfect fourth, fifth, and octave. Three notes. This was PART of what made the original non-functional church modes, which if you listen to them, lack any tendency or direction. This is due to a lack of a critical dissonance that exists in the leading tone. In fact, the entire point of dissonance is to make common practice music make sense and create the western concept of musical direction. On top of that, dissonant chords are what are used for powerful moments. Any opera before 1800 used the diminished seventh chord for the most dramatic moments, you know those really exciting and interesting ones. 

And even then, dissonance exists naturally elsewhere without having to behave in theoretically sound functions. In fact, if we assess a majority of the music used today, a large chunk of it uses dissonant structures, which by strict definition starts with seventh chords. Hans Zimmer's "Time", ALL of Snarky Puppy, Kendrick Lamar, the list goes on. Arguing down dissonance fundamentally ignores the entire history of how music has come to functionally work.

Now; you might be referring to purely dissonant music, such as Iannis Xenakis, John Cage, Boulez, etc. Do you have to like this music? No, not necessarily at all. But then this is where music gets complicated; while the dissonance is hard to enjoy fundamentally, the purpose actually exists very differently. If you watch a horror movie, almost any of them are likely influenced by Xenakis' music, who led to innovations in phonics and exploring heterophony/polyphony etc. Is this pleasing to the ear fundamentally? No, because it is the absolute most dissonant form of music that exists, however it should then make it clear that this music is not for conventional aesthetic pleasure. But once you apply it to a given purpose, it suddenly has a usage and an effective one at that, yeah? And then, looking at John Cage, he basically invented the idea of percussion ensemble, but lacked tonal aspects at all. Funnily enough, he also wrote this piece which is, by theoretical definition, dissonant. While these composers existed in a time where the goal was to be as dissonant and escape aesthetic consonant beauty as much as possible, it still influenced and informed the course of music as a whole.

My point in saying this is that a lot of people take this approach about music and art and it ignores how dissonance inherently exists in every piece of music we call beautiful, and that if we accepted the terms of "consonance" at the surface level, we would only have three notes. There are some levels of dissonance that lack the ability to be latched on for most listeners, but even despite this, accepting dissonance is the way we create new music in the first place, and it causes the next generation of listeners to change the definition of dissonance from a listener-based standpoint.

And this has scientific truth; here is a piece that is considered the most scientifically relaxing to modern humans, which features, you guessed it, harmonic dissonance.

Just had to put that out there.

Edited by evan

3 hours ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

Rap. An acronym:

Retards. Attempting. Poetry

And other slogans on Hot Topic t-shirts circa 2003.

Brought to you by other such statements as "Labels are for soup cans", "The voices in my head tell me I'm fine", and "Black isn't dark enough."
Now available at your local mall for $25.99.

• Like 2