And On This Holy Day Of Easter, We Must All Come Together...

Cingal

13 minutes ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Like why we have santa clause for Christmas when the holiday should be about the birthday of jesus christ

In my country, Santa was historically referred to as "Father Christmas." Something about a vicar or similar who would give gifts to the children in his neighborhood or something like that(?)

I didn't look too much into it. But he used to be depicted as a big fellow wearing green. The Santa Claus people know today is a sort of meme from the Coca Cola company.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

I just recently had a discussion with Yell0wF0x about easter

I can't understand the significance of the bunny to the actual religious holiday

Like why we have santa clause for Christmas when the holiday should be about the birthday of jesus christ

They need to make the birth and death of some 2000 year-old Arab appeal to children somehow.

Bunnies and eggs are used for Easter because they represent newborns and new life.

5 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

In my country, Santa was historically referred to as "Father Christmas." Something about a vicar or similar who would give gifts to the children in his neighborhood or something like that(?)

I didn't look too much into it. But he used to be depicted as a big fellow wearing green. The Santa Claus people know today is a sort of meme from the Coca Cola company.

Saint Nicholas was the guy.

He was a monk who gave wooden toys to children.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

I can't understand the significance of the bunny to the actual religious holiday

Apparently the Easter bunny was originally a German tradition from the 1600's and he just came to give good kids gifts

Just now, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Like why we have santa clause for Christmas when the holiday should be about the birthday of Jesus Christ

A good chunk of Christian holidays are hijacked pagan holidays.

Bunnies and eggs are symbols of fertility, it's a celebration of the return of spring. 

Winter is seen as metaphorical death. Spring begins a new cycle of life.

Edited by Bloodshot_Eyes
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Sir Gibby said:

Sounds like Saint Nicholas? (greek 4th century bishop and saint)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus#Predecessor_figures

4 hours ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Bunny

It's wiki, grain of salt and everything... but that symbols part! "The hare must be a hermaphrodit... That means it can procreate without losing virginity... LIKE MARY!"

4 hours ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Originally it was about a saint (Saint Nicholas) and on a different date. Luther didn't like that and moved the date to christmas and tried to replace Saint Nicholas (with the "Christkind" -> Christ child). Then the whole coca cola thing gibby mentioned happened.