I'm tired of superhero movies

Elric

Superhero movies are so saturated nowadays that I am actually getting tired of them. It's not like they are all the same, but each of them have similar tropes that start to become old (the origin story, the revenge story, etc.). I think it would help if the directors of Marvel movies would actually have more creative freedom. Apparently Ant-Man had two directors, and the original left because of "differences in their vision of the film". Ant-Man was more of a heist movie with supernatural elements that a traditional superhero movie didn't have. However, Marvel continues to shove the idea that everything is connected with the characters now. Plus, there have been so many movies that they have stopped becoming standalones and just fillers for other more important movies (avengers infinity gauntlet). 

Comicbook movies coming out in 2016: Captain USA: The Spiderman Copyrights War, Batman Vs. Superman Vs. Wonder Woman Vs. Aquaman Vs. Darksied Vs. Cyborg Vs. Doomsday - Do You Bleed?, Doc Odd, Ninja Turtles, Jared Leto and the Sewage Squad, X-Men "We Swear This is the Last One Guys, Seriously," and X-Men Again - The Againing: Electric Gambit Edition.

• Like 1

The thing is even those "filler" movies are still good, at least all the ones done by marvel. It doesn't really matter that they're all superhero movies when they are also all really good movies. also you forgot Deadpool in that list of superhero movies that have come out this year, which is a notable deviation from the standard of superhero movies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Conker said:

I mean, you don't have to see them. I've skipped all the superhero movies I didn't think looked good and haven't been struck by lightning or anything.

Basically this.

I haven't watched like 90% of Marvel movies because they either don't interest me or I'm too lazy to sit down and watch them (pls release winter soldier on netflix plox).

1 minute ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

OP is still allowed to be sick of hearing and seeing ads about them and such

I don't think it's all that hard to avoid though. I didn't care about BvS and basically saw so little about it that nothing ever stuck. Anything I wanted to learn I went and found myself.

Less TV and a good adblocker kinda solves some of the saturation problem.

53 minutes ago, Conker said:

I mean, you don't have to see them. I've skipped all the superhero movies I didn't think looked good and haven't been struck by lightning or anything.

I like superhero movies, it's just disappointing that there seems to be a lack of creativity when Marvel keeps shoving a continuity down everyone's throat. 

1 hour ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

The thing is even those "filler" movies are still good, at least all the ones done by marvel. It doesn't really matter that they're all superhero movies when they are also all really good movies. also you forgot Deadpool in that list of superhero movies that have come out this year, which is a notable deviation from the standard of superhero movies.

Just like the case with Ant-Man, I wonder if the full potential of the movie was missing because the original director left due to creative differences. What made superhero movies like The Dark Knight (in my opinion), a good movie is because they didn't force connection in a "universe" of superheroes. Continuity has just become a gimmick to make people watch the other movies to completely understand what's happening in the movie. A big example of this is Civil War. Even though it is a Captain America movie, if you haven't watched the second Avengers movie some people may become confused on what happened. I think this is a problem for someone who doesn't want to watch all the movies to understand all of it. You mentioned Deadpool, which is one of the few exceptions besides Guardians of the Galaxy that doesn't shove continuity down the audience's throat and is actually a standalone movie. 

7 minutes ago, Elric said:

I like superhero movies, it's just disappointing that there seems to be a lack of creativity when Marvel keeps shoving a continuity down everyone's throat. 

They're doing what the comic books do: tying everything together into one giant, mess of a knot. It's by no means new.

Hell, I quite like it. Having Ant Man show up in Civil War was fucking awesome!

I disagree on the lack of creativity, but I'd probably give Kevin Fiege a monster blowjob at this point, so I'm clearly biased on the matter.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Conker said:

They're doing what the comic books do: tying everything together into one giant, mess of a knot. It's by no means new.

Hell, I quite like it. Having Ant Man show up in Civil War was fucking awesome!

I disagree on the lack of creativity, but I'd probably give Kevin Fiege a monster blowjob at this point, so I'm clearly biased on the matter.

Fair enough. My only real concern is twisting all of it until someone has to watch one movie to understand another. 

57 minutes ago, Elric said:

Fair enough. My only real concern is twisting all of it until someone has to watch one movie to understand another. 

I went to see Civil War despite not seeing (or really at all following) the Avengers 2 and tbh it is actually a legitimate problem, since the movie sort of assumes you already know who everyone is.

Granted, once the movie starts going you pick up on everything you really need to pretty quick, but spending the first 20 minutes saying "who the fuck is that" kinda sucks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elric said:

Believe Marvel have already said they're done looking to new audiences and will now go forward assuming everyone has seen all of--or most of--the previous movies. It's good for hardcore fans but a real bitch for those who only want to watch the superheros they like.

I give no fucks about Dr. Strange, but I'll be catching that movie in the theater because I'm afraid to miss it and then be lost when the next flick rolls around.

I have no problem with superhero movies.

I do have a problem with people who go and see the movie four times in a row on opening day and then won't shut up about how it is the most awesome thing they've ever seen since the last time they watched some other superhero movie four times in a row. 

J

The superhero genre was one of my favorites as a kid, imagining those humans with powers unobtainable by mere people and how they got them (lightning strike, lab experiment, radioactive contamination, the works)

Its overplayed because for children (and adults alike) its the easiest sold and marketed, so if you never let something die, you have more to keep selling. How many boys toys, clothing, toothbrushes, diapers, and toilet paper are are sold with marvel themes? (Im still fucking salty I lived a childhood forced into Disney princess because superheros are only for one gender or some shit)

That said, what Marvel directors and Disney directors have in common, sadly, is they follow a formula. And that isnt me making it up I really did see a documentary where a storyboard artist clear as day states such. They follow the success of the past because no one wants to branch out into unknown territory. They want to keep selling and keep the highlights of a franchise so younger generations have the same things to always fawn over.

But really, superhero movies are basically awesome, I blame how the content is carried more than the content itself

How about a superhero movie based around a brand new superhero? It would be a harder sell, but at least we'd get to see something different rather than another retread.

Or better yet, how about a movie based on slice-of-life furry comics instead? No bias there :V. The superhero genre is somewhat limiting, in my opinion.

I grew up reading superhero comics. Hell, before furries turned me gay I had a crush on many female X-Men characters, ranging from Jean Grey to Mystique. I loved it all, X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic 4, Spiderman, Hulk, Iron Man. The recent resurgence of superhero movies is kinda nostalgic to me.

I hate the fact that most of the marvel villains are evil because they lost something like their wife or something.

Thats totally cliche.

I want to see once a villain who is evil not because he lost his wife , i want to see a villain who is evil because he has a sadistic personality and enjoys hurting people.

I also hate the "my parent got killed so i become a hero" cliche and that stupid revenge thing . I want something new in superhero movies.

15 hours ago, Nova said:

I hate the fact that most of the marvel villains are evil because they lost something like their wife or something.

Thats totally cliche.

I want to see once a villain who is evil not because he lost his wife , i want to see a villain who is evil because he has a sadistic personality and enjoys hurting people.

I also hate the "my parent got killed so i become a hero" cliche and that stupid revenge thing . I want something new in superhero movies.

Ultron. Thanos. Apocalypse. The Winter Soldier. Abomination. 

Quite a few more villains in Marvel movies who don't have that cliche. I would say it is more common in heroes. I would also say that this is more of a critique of comic books in general than movies. 

On 5/26/2016 at 5:00 PM, Elric said:

(the origin story, the revenge story, etc.)

You forgot the "Superheroes fight each other" story.

Which was pretty much the entire plot of BVS and Civil War. Civil War did it pretty well for the most part, BVS did it pretty poorly.

But I'm getting sick of movies where the entire point is to make Superhero A fight Superhero B because the 400 pound fatass neckbeards of the comic world demand it, because it gets their tiny dicks hard. "My favorite hero would kick that hero's ass blah blah blah" I don't care!

• Like 2