Endless Deluge of Love Songs

Feelwell

You can always try some instrumental music. 

If you have really good speakers or headphones there is something to be said for classical music, jazz, big band, ragtime, blues, and many other genres played with instruments only. 

It is good to take a break and enjoy something different. 

• Like 3

This is something that annoyed me as a kid

I mean, yeah yeah love is great, sure. Romantic love...yeah.  Its not bad to enjoy those emotions, but it also isnt bad to not have them or not even want them at all, either

But it comes to a point where society is so obsessed with it to the point that each and every song is on the subject of being in love, seeking love, unrequited love, breaking up, etc. 

I agree that there are so many other emotions and relationships to sing about that we can fixate on, life isnt particularly single focus, and its sad when we keep getting messages that we HAVE to be in love or want live.

In the end though society has been screwed up many ways over so I wouldnt put too much stock into societal norms

I suggest just compile a playlist of good songs of varying subjects. Will take more work than pandora thats for sure

21 hours ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

Is it that damn hard to make a song with sad meaning besides a damn love song? There are other emotions you know.

So you want sad songs that don't necessarily have to do with love? Or songs that aren't necessarily sad either but that evoke some sort of deeper emotion regardless? If yes then the songs below might interest you

1: Loneliness

2: Fear/Mistery

3: Terror of the Unknown

4: Nostalgia

5: Regret

6: Indifference/Monotony

7: Defeat

8: Melancholy

9: Closure

10: Sorrow

11: Confusion/Undecidedness/Uncertainty

12: Panic

13: Inevitability

14: Unrest/Mistrust

15: Meaninglessness/Pointlessness/Hopelessness

16: Hope

Hey, if it gets too depressing then hit the emergency button here. Anyway, I hope there will be even just one or two that you will find enjoyable, partner. Cheers

Maybe try Cannibal Corpse.

I'm pretty much sure rape, torture, brutal murder, and necrophilia don't count as love.

Or maybe it does.

In that case, try Cattle Decapitation. "Forced Gender Reassignment" is as far from a love song as you can get.

Love songs are easy to write and they're easily relatable  therefor easy to sell and market. I mean everyone has experienced the warm fuzzies and the occasional broken heart at one point. It really boils down to what people can relate to and love is a universal concept. Anyway, a lot of musicians have to dish out the occasional ballad in order to draw in the general audience's attention. I think it's usually the companies that force them to do so. 

If you want a song that is depressing or sad but isn't about love "Rings by Aesop Rock" is bomb dude. He talks about him losing his passion in art and doubting if it was the right choice to give it up. It's something I can relate to, having self doubt in my own abilities as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Endless/Nameless said:

Just listen to Rush. Period.

1. Moving Pictures
Also 1. 2112
       2. A Farewell to Kings

Oddly enough never could get too into Rush. Something about their lead singers voice and the feel of the music.

Doubly weird since I'm proud they're a Canadian band. 

1 hour ago, Endless/Nameless said:

Just listen to Rush. Period.

1. Moving Pictures
Also 1. 2112
       2. A Farewell to Kings

Every time someone mentions Rush I think of this one comment chain I once saw on Youtube:

"Hey, can someone recommend a good Rush cover band?"

"Yeah, it's called shut up and listen to Rush"

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

Oddly enough never could get too into Rush. Something about their lead singers voice and the feel of the music.

I used to feel the same way actually. So I can understand that.

2 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Every time someone mentions Rush I think of this one comment chain I once saw on Youtube:

"Hey, can someone recommend a good Rush cover band?"

"Yeah, it's called shut up and listen to Rush"

PFFT

15 minutes ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

Ya, Geddy Lee on vocals is a bit of an acquired taste.  But they have some fabulous instrumentals.

And you can't not like Xanadu

• Like 1