Kosha

So I had an idea in my head of hosting monthly contests in The Art Shack. Give a general theme (ie History, Anime, Video Games) or concept (ie Draw a contest in which there is no winner, Write a story in which a serial killer who kills hitchhikers picks up a serial killer who kills the people who pick him up) at the beginning of the month. People have to submit a piece (and only one piece) by the end of the month. The judges (who the judges will be, I don't know) will pick the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners are and then the next one will start. I also think there should be two different contests: an art contest and a writing contest.

The only problem I can think of is what to do as a prize. I was thinking that you get to choose what the next theme/concept is.

• Like 5

Just now, Endless/Nameless said:

But the judges would just pick their friends and there'd be no democratic process!! And people might make their submissions too many pixels high!!! We're gonna turn into oldFAF all over again, I just know it....  ):  

Maybe we could just have a poll instead of judges. Maybe you have to submit your work the week before the end of the month and on the last week we hold a poll of who we think did the best.

• Like 1

I like the idea of writing contests with prompts and stuff like that :3

Like Lemon said though, coordinating it might be a bit of trouble, though, and not sure how things would be judged at all, whether polls or judges or w/e.

If judges I'd suggest rotating them out or something every month.

Polls sound like they might work, though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LadyRadarEars said:

When it comes down to it, even 'serious' awards like the Hugo Awards are basically just popularity contests flavored and tempered by the tastes of those voting anyway.

It was an attempt at satire, due to recent events. Apparently that didn't come through.... 

This is actually a rather interesting idea and I'm curious to see if someone can make something of it. It could be really fun for some people. 

As far as being hard to coordinate, it seems like a responsibility that could be delegated to someone interested in running it, rather than being strictly the mods concern. 

48 minutes ago, Lemon said:

The person who won the monthbefore would be the judge for the next month

That means the best artists wouldn't be able to compete two months in a row

If they win, they have to skip an entire month and forfeit their right to entry

Which isn't nice

1 minute ago, Rhíulchabán said:

I really like the idea of doing art contests, I would advise having multiple ways to win and perhaps multiple prizes!

Perhaps have a "people's" pick where there is a community vote, and a "judge's pick" where the judge's pick something out. The winner of the community vote gets to be next month's judge while the judge's pick gets to choose the next theme (or switch those around, I dunno).

Having a community vote choosing the next month's judge could allow the current judge to still enter the contest and possibly win by community vote still (but obviously not judge's vote, since they would be picking their own piece).

I feel like that could be a possible middle ground... The one downside is if the community and judge both pick the same person, but then maybe that just means the same person picks the theme and is next month's judge?

I like this idea, but there is a problem: What if the people's pick and the judge's pick are the same person?

1 minute ago, Rhíulchabán said:

I already addressed that at the bottom of my post, if they are the same person, then due to being such an amazing winner they get to be both next month's judge and choose the next theme. It's like a super prize for those who manage to win the judge and the crowd over.

Maybe some people won't like that,  but I think if you managed to win both sides you deserve to get both prizes.

Whoops, skipped over that. :$

Oh hey! Something I can contribute to!

I'm totes all for this idea!!

So what we would do on AceAttorney Online, with our sprite contests, is that people submit something before a certain deadline, and then we had the community vote on it.
Afterwards, the winning person would be given about a week or two to make a new concept for the next contest, and if they fail to, it goes down the line.

• Like 1

You could limit the problem of the popularity contest issue by having only the entrants themselves allowed to vote, in a separate thread, and obviously not for themselves. This way you don't end up with one or two popular artists landing dozens of default friend votes while a newer or lesser known artist gets left with less than a handful.

This would be absolutely awesome! Plus writing contests would get some writing done in the rather dusty and unused Writer's Bloc. Even if not posted in the Writer's Bloc it'd at least have more writing posted to the forums, which is a nice change. Art contests would also be awesome and give people ideas on what to draw/paint/etc.

It'd be a nice thing to get the community involved and maybe even aid growth. It'd add another thing to reasons to join PF.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FlynnCoyote said:

You could limit the problem of the popularity contest issue by having only the entrants themselves allowed to vote, in a separate thread, and obviously not for themselves. This way you don't end up with one or two popular artists landing dozens of default friend votes while a newer or lesser known artist gets left with less than a handful.

That's what we did in AceAttorney Online, where only the people who entered vote.

• 5 months later...

I wondered about this myself a few weeks back and then forgot it all over again.

So, pitch incoming. Would the moderator team have any objections to independent competitions being run on the forums? Meaning they would entirely be organized and managed by the user in question, and participation falls entirely on the users and staff themselves to decide. The forum and by extension staff would be free from any liability or responsibility.

I say this because the idea of competitions is a good one, and since I've paid out my loan the other month I've found myself with extra money to play with. Not a fortune by any stretch, but enough to sponsor a few prizes for a competition here and there.

i heard money.

i like the idea of user-run contests with the freedom to basically be whenever, whatever, however long the user(s) in question decide (within proper limits, yada yada).  not so sure about site-run monthly, though, especially with little to no prize potential

17 minutes ago, Gator said:

i heard money.

i like the idea of user-run contests with the freedom to basically be whenever, whatever, however long the user(s) in question decide (within proper limits, yada yada).  not so sure about site-run monthly, though, especially with little to no prize potential

Of course, details would have to be pretty clearly defined and above all fair.