"Falling" into a black hole?

Nova

16 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

And this is of course assuming the forces involved don't rip you to pieces before you fall in, and you're still alive after being basted in enough radiation and high energy particles to turn a continent into molten slag :D

• Like 3

I'm sure you would probably die just before you even get sucked into a black hole. I mean, the vacuum of space alone is enough to boil the saliva off of your tongue. Now the noodle effect that the users above have mentioned, I'm sure that would be terrifying to see. My question is, where does a black hole go to? 

4 hours ago, Nova said:

I wondered that the whole time.

Is falling into a black hole like falling from a building on the ground or is it like slowly moving towards the event horizon.

Falling is always said in video about black holes  but never explained in details.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Falling is always falling, in the vicinity of a black hole you move exactly as you would towards any gravitational body until you near the Event Horizon. At that point relativistic effects become important, but gravity works in the same way. Since time dilates as you get near the singularity, it would appear to take an infinite amount of time to fall into a black hole, but from your point of view you would simply fall in.

About the singularity, that's likely a mathematical artifact. Matter resist occupying the same space as other matter due to Quantum effects. General relativity is unable to handle point sources, however. If you try you get Infinities everywhere.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Theoretically, if we could survive the spaghettification and the other weird space stuff then...

I would say it'd be closer to slowly moving towards the event horizon.

What's happening on the event horizon? I wonder, any good bands playing, some kind of festival maybe, pagan rituals, decent drugs?I think they need to plan these events on the horizon better, maybe a few parties, throw a BBQ, maybe serve spaghetti, have an open bar, set up carnival rides. If there's events on the horizon, I'd like a full schedule, so I know what ones I wanna attend. Maybe they can even have a fur con. Sometimes I have to conclude these scientist sorts just haven't got the common sense to think of the things most people would wanna know about!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nova said:

Is falling into a black hole like falling from a building on the ground or is it like slowly moving towards the event horizon.

Both.

In both cases you're being pulled toward the center of gravity, just at different rates of descent.

And no matter which angle you approach a black hole from, you'll still encounter the event horizon. It is a 3D, spherical force, not a 2D drain-like one as portrayed in media.

• Like 2

Just now, Pignog said:

i read a choose your own adventure as a kid where i fell into a black hole. i died on the first choice and it fukin sucked. there was a pic of my space shuttle w/ my skull inside a space suit i think

Hey, i think I read that too

I don't recall what happened tho

1 hour ago, Pignog said:

i read a choose your own adventure as a kid where i fell into a black hole. i died on the first choice and it fukin sucked. there was a pic of my space shuttle w/ my skull inside a space suit i think

1 hour ago, Endless/Nameless said:

Hey, i think I read that too

I don't recall what happened tho

I also read this book and made that mistake. I feel like the choice might have preyed on childlike tendencies so that most people would get to see that cool picture of a tattered spacesuit with a skeleton in it. Probably was a choice whether to press a button or not. Of course a kid would press the button by instinct.

It's actually very interesting on a lot of different levels. It also depends on the point of view! From the point of view of someone watching you fall in you technically never even fall into it. Lemme explain :P

When you travel towards a black hole from your point of view you just get closer and closer. Sooner or later you will be pulled to shreds by the gravitational forces or utterly destroyed by the superheated material in accretion disk. You probably won't even survive long enough to reach the event horizon.
But assuming that you did survive the trip to the event horizon something weird would happen. There is a region around the black hole where photons actually orbit it. It's called the photon sphere. In it you could see the back of your own head because the photons can travel from there to your face!
Your perception of time would also change. As you travel towards the hole the light gets blueshifted more and more and as a result you will be able to see all of time all at once! But shortly after that you would still be toast. As you cross the event horizon you are no longer part of the known universe. Judging by our current knowledge about physics you simply stop existing.

It's easier to explain this from the perspective of someone watching you falling in.
As you approach the black hole you travel faster and faster. However, because of the effects of time dilation the person who is watching you will see you fall in slower and slower. The moment you reach the event horizon you will stop moving entirely from the perspective of that observer because you reach the point of infinite time dilation. And as the light that is being reflected by your body loses energy as it tries to escape the black hole it gets redshifted, so you slowly turn red until the light is redshifted into the part of the spectrum we can't see and then you just disappear.
A black hole is defined as the sum of all events that happen beyond the event horizon. No information can escape a black hole. Because of that from the point of view of the observer you actually never cross the event horizon!

• Like 1