Japanese games vs Western games

VGmaster9

Western games have a very bad habit of not having boss fights in their games, and Western games seem to like the idea of open worldness more than Japan. They also commonly have super realistic graphics. They also have very theatrical music. And unless they're indie, Western games are never visual novels.

Japanese games like fanservice more than American titles, and they tend to be lower budget than Western titles. They also seem to avoid first person shooters in most instances and seem to detest realism, generally speaking. These games typically have more melodic "catchy" music, and they also often use the visual novel format a lot in cutscenes in lower budget games (characters on both sides of the screen talking to each other with text at the bottom)

Japanese games >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Western games

That said I do like my occasional indies.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

Western games have a very bad habit of not having boss fights in their games, and Western games seem to like the idea of open worldness more than Japan. They also commonly have super realistic graphics. American games also have very theatrical music.

Japanese games like fanservice more than American titles, and they tend to be lower budget than Western titles. Japanese games also seem to avoid first person shooters in most instances and seem to detest realism, generally speaking. Japanese games typically have more melodic "catchy" music.

That said I do like my occasional indies.

lol shut up u weeb

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

Western games have a very bad habit of not having boss fights in their games

I'd actually argue and say that this is false. there are very few Western games I've played that don't have at least one or two major fights in them. it's just that they're usually not broadcasted as "Boss fight" or come at the end of some sort of dungeon. but they're most certainly there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Battlechili said:

Western games have a very bad habit of not having boss fights in their games, and Western games seem to like the idea of open worldness more than Japan. They also commonly have super realistic graphics. American games also have very theatrical music. And unless they're indie, Western games are never visual novels.

Japanese games like fanservice more than American titles, and they tend to be lower budget than Western titles. Japanese games also seem to avoid first person shooters in most instances and seem to detest realism, generally speaking. Japanese games typically have more melodic "catchy" music. Japanese games also use the visual novel format a lot in cutscenes in lower budget games (characters on both sides of the screen talking to each other with text at the bottom)

Rareware motherfuckah.

Since you didn't specifically mention RPGs...

The most glaring thing is that Japanese games lack in genre and Western games excel in it. I just looked through a list of 300+ games created by Japanese companies and fewer than 20 could not be labeled as mainly an RPG or an action game. They most obviously lack in things like strategy, but they even miss out on large parts of the genres they dominate.

I dislike most RPGs, so it just looks like taste is the biggest factor in Japanese vs. Western RPGs to me.

• Like 1

I think the Nier games are perfect example of the differences in tastes... same game, different aesthetics for their target audiences.

maxresdefault.jpg

Nier Gestalt for the western release...

Grizzled old man trying to save his daughter.

Neir Replicant for Japan release...

Androgynous animu boy with sister complex that's on quest to save said sister.

Exact same game... but they felt the need to change those two things to suit their different audiences.

I always wanted to see a Japanese studio make an FPS. The only genre I never see from them. Which is a shame because they'd probably make some fun ones. Nothing to top Doom and Turok, but something cool nonetheless. The only Japanese FPS series I can think of is Metroid Prime, but even that was made by Western developers.

The closest thing I can think of (of quality) is Vanquish by Platinum which is my favorite third person shooter that needs a fucking PC port.

5 hours ago, XoPachi said:

I always wanted to see a Japanese studio make an FPS. The only genre I never see from them. Which is a shame because they'd probably make some fun ones. Nothing to top Doom and Turok, but something cool nonetheless. The only Japanese FPS series I can think of is Metroid Prime, but even that was made by Western developers.

The closest thing I can think of (of quality) is Vanquish by Platinum which is my favorite third person shooter that needs a fucking PC port.

There actually are a few FPS games made in Japan, but they aren't on the same level as Western ones. I think the best example would be Outtrigger on the Dreamcast/Arcade. It's basically a simple arena shooter just like Unreal Tournament, but you can fight against AI opponents too.

I think Japan should make a new FPS game, it could be along the lines of something like Overwatch.

37 minutes ago, VGmaster9 said:

There actually are a few FPS games made in Japan, but they aren't on the same level as Western ones. I think the best example would be Outtrigger on the Dreamcast/Arcade. It's basically a simple arena shooter just like Unreal Tournament, but you can fight against AI opponents too.

I think Japan should make a new FPS game, it could be along the lines of something like Overwatch.

Japan likes to add this flair and style to their action games usually. Can be gratuitous sometimes, but if they made something like how Shadow Warrior 2 is looking with that Devil May Cry/Bayonetta/Final Fantasy 15 looking action I'd buy it. If they could make it work. Obviously not an emphasis on melee and AS ridiculous as those games, but just comparable in style.

On 8/27/2016 at 6:19 AM, XoPachi said:

well I know splatoon isn't fps but it's still a shooter and way more interesting than any of the other shooters currently out there right now.

4 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

well I know splatoon isn't fps but it's still a shooter and way more interesting than any of the other shooters currently out there right now.

I mean if we're counting 3rd person shooters there's plenty to choose from. Besides that, there's Vanquish, Lost Planet 1/2, Resident Evil 5/6, MGS4/5, EX Troopers....

I think in recent years the Japanese game market has completely fallen out of touch. It seems like most games that come out of Japan these days are complete garbage, with some diamonds in the rough. The only Japanese developers I really trust anymore are Nintendo, Platinum, and Kojima.

Japs mostly do RPGs

and their RPGs always have a railroaded story and pre-designed main character

this totally defeats the purpose of RPGs, I want to actually roleplay in them

step it up Japan

The only dev I really care about over there is Koei for their sweet, sweet Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition series.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zerig said:

Japs mostly do RPGs

This for fucking days. It's why for all the complaints of Elder Scrolls being "barren" I was engaged in them far more and far frequently...except Skyrim. And it was immediate too. They were far more open ended. I could actually be the ROLE I wanted to be and play it how I wanted. When I first played Oblivion back in middle school, that was the first game where I had a choice to be evil, a choice to assassinate people, and the choice to do it how I wanted (magic/archery/a trap/stealth/melee).  

Kingdom Hearts? NOPE! You were some meek DeviantArt shota with goofy combat and linear on-rails "progression". It's like if Afterburner were an RPG. haha 

BUT they seem to actually be stepping it up lately. I cannot wait for FF15 and shockingly Kingdom Hearts 3.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zerig said:

Japs mostly do RPGs

step it up Japan

The only dev I really care about over there is Koei for their sweet, sweet Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition series.

• Like 2