Spiders

FlynnCoyote

I've been photographing spiders that I come across as the weather down here gets warmer.

This guy was at work, up the side of our factory piles of rubbish can build up quickly. As I was cleaning it up I came across this fella. This one was a while ago.
funnelweb_1_by_flynn_coyote-dakrytq.jpg

Aaand this asshole was building his web across the front gate of my house last week when I came home. If it had been much darker I might not have seen him, almost like that scary fucker I made a thread about last year.
orbweaver_1_by_flynn_coyote-dakryxj.jpg

I've got a few more pictures but no time right now. I'll keep an eye out too and see if I can find more. Spiders are adorable.

• Like 4

i dig spiders... as long as they stay several feet away from me at all times.

118.JPG

this was living on the side of our house for a while, a couple of years ago.  came out to have a look at her every day, watched her gain a bunch of weight, then put up egg sacs... and then she was gone.  rip spidermom

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gator said:

i dig spiders... as long as they stay several feet away from me at all times.

Reveal hidden contents

118.JPG

this was living on the side of our house for a while, a couple of years ago.  came out to have a look at her every day, watched her gain a bunch of weight, then put up egg sacs... and then she was gone.  rip spidermom

She was probably insulted you stared at her and thought you were making fun of her for her weight.

Gosh, why were you so mean to her?

• Like 1

This one is from my front veranda facing the door. We get a lot of these cross spiders in the area so as the next few months go I'll probably get more pics of them. This girl was the first this season. She appeared and spun her first web between two of the plants out front.

cross_spider_by_flynn_coyote-daku2v7.jpg

A few days later, I noticed she had a boyfriend. You can see him here, hiding out of her sight by sticking close behind her.

cross_spider_2_by_flynn_coyote-daku2xs.j

Two days I think after I took this picture, he was gone. And about a week after that, so was she. If I had to guess, I'd say a bird has done the swoop and made lunch of her. Sad, but that's how things go.

All your spiders are so colorful. There are only black and brown spiders in a country that is already bleak

But on topic, I don't clear out spider webs unless they're inside the house. Helps to keep mosquito and fly populations in check

It's difficult to see, but about a third of the way up from the twig in the centre of the picture is a tiny green spider with it's front legs spread open. You can see its legs on either side. It was originally on this side, but it spun around to the other side of the twig a split second before I clicked the camera. Obviously doesn;t like being photographed.

green_spider_by_flynn_coyote-dal5pb3.jpg

There's also this redback I found which is much more impressive to look at. The light was kind of shitty, and my camera doesn;t do well with dark things on light backgrounds and vice versa, so it's tough to see the red stripe in the top picture.

redback_1_by_flynn_coyote-dal5pdm.jpg

This was on a piece of old scrap board at work. She started running after I moved it a little to try and get a better shot.

redback_2_by_flynn_coyote-dal5pg3.jpg

I'm sure I've got more spider pics somewhere but I can;t find them at this time. I'll have another better look one day soon and keep my eye out for new photo ops in the meantime.

On 10/12/2016 at 4:41 AM, FlynnCoyote said:

A few days later, I noticed she had a boyfriend. You can see him here, hiding out of her sight by sticking close behind her.

cross_spider_2_by_flynn_coyote-daku2xs.j

Two days I think after I took this picture, he was gone. And about a week after that, so was she. If I had to guess, I'd say a bird has done the swoop and made lunch of her. Sad, but that's how things go.

Just so you know, she probably ate him.