Tyranno

So you know, as I lay in bed about a year ago, completely sick to the point of barely being able to move, I thought "why can't I just let people enjoy what they enjoy?".

But some enjoyments its like... people don't enjoy things for those things, they just made up attributes about those things in their head and convinced themselves they were true.

Or some kind of Nerdluminati are going around saying, "this is a quasi-religion now, that's a quasi-religion now".

Case in point, How to Train your Dragon and Digimon

First off, they say one man's junk is another man's treasure. So like, if I think Michael Bay's Transformers sucks, the attributes that make it terrible to me cause other people to find it enjoyable or whatever. But here its like a case of people picking a particular strand of grass in a lawn to praise the virtues of, and if I asked them about another, they'd say "are you mad man, thats just a piece of grass".

I swear, if people fap to Toothless, those are the fairly rational ones. I mean, there's at least a clear reason for them to enjoy the intellectual property. It's ev en understandable they'd say they enjoy the franchise because they're embarrassed to fap to a cartoon dragon.

But the problem is, its best accentuated if compared to the maligned Alpha and Omega. That movie is something, and to apparently the majority of people, it's something bad. But How to Train your Dragon is two hours of nothing. If it didn't fail, its because it didn't try.

As for Digimon,its fans often mention about how "deep" and "original" it is... compared to Pokemon. If there's been any depth or ambition in Pokemon since the initial concept, I'm not aware of it. 

When people speak of Digimon being deep, I assume they mean the games. Because from what I gather, the mechanics of them can get pretty complex. As for HTTYD, I found the first one a pretty enjoyable film. Never saw the second one. Alpha and Omega looks kinda crappy just from the animation alone...

Obviously I think we all feel that some other people have frivolous interests...but so what?
I also find it confusing that some people try to defend their interest in a pass time or show that I'm not interested in.

People have previously tried to explain the brilliance of my little pony and doctor who to me, when I confessed I was not interested in them, as if they need my approval to enjoy their favourite TV show. ._.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Saxon said:

People have previously tried to explain the brilliance of my little pony and doctor who to me, when I confessed I was not interested in them, as if they need my approval to enjoy their favourite TV show. ._.

Speaking of which, people in high school get bullied for stupid reasons, and sometimes to avoid being picked on would bring up how "dark" and "serious" [insert show here] is thinking if its less "childish" it can justify it... but some of people are still doing that, years after leaving that crowd.  But by now they just sound like their mental ageing stopped at fourteen.

Just now, Tyranno said:

Speaking of which, people in high school get bullied for stupid reasons, and sometimes to avoid being picked on would bring up how "dark" and "serious" [insert show here] is thinking if its less "childish" it can justify it... but some of people are still doing that, years after leaving that crowd.  But by now they just sound like their mental ageing stopped at fourteen.

If I am perfectly honest, if somebody told me how dark and serious a show was then I'd probably be less interested in it; as though I want to fill my entertainment time with adolescent angst! x3

How to train your dragon is good, man >:C IDK what your talking about

For one, its been a damn long time before they had dragons in animated film, and they did a good job with them. They also did a good job with the dorky human characters, giving them personality and whatnot. It was a beautiful movie and well done. And for the record, the movie itself was merely based on a book, which, probably in its own right told the story better than the movie itself. However, few know of the book

/rant

Im not going to argue about a movie you dont like because thats probably the grass you are referring to.

But I can think of worse things than HTTYD and digimon, even if people fawn over it as the best thing ever

• Like 1

I feel sorry for Alpha and Omega. Its animation was pretty crappy and its acting wasn't the best, but it had its moments and one or two genuinely cute and/or funny parts. The sequels on the other hand are vile abhorrent trash - which is something I'd say of any movie with a 'smart kid' that repeatedly starts sentences with the words 'I calculate' PEOPLE DON'T TALK LIKE THAT! KIDS REALLY DON'T TALK LIKE THAT! But the original, I have a quiet fondness for.

I did enjoy HTTYD and I'd say it's fairly clever for a children's movie, but I have never, ever seen a movie that was so drastically, ludicrously different from the original book series on which it's based. In the books, Hiccup remains an unregarded loser until the last two or three books, Toothless is both actually toothless and about the size of a house cat, Fishlegs is a thin flimsy ball of intelligently observed sarcasm with asthma, Snotlout is little short of a celebrated hero, and the rest of the characters... let's just say they kept some of the names and threw the rest away. Also, Vikings had been training dragons for centuries in the books, and the dragons can talk but hardly anybody speaks their language. Totally, utterly different.

The second HTTYD is actually pretty good by the way, assuming you liked the first one, although like many kids' movies it is quite predictable.

Personally, I'm happy to respect anyone's opinion on any subject so long as it's clear they've considered it rather than just bowed to peer pressure.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Saxon said:

NO SAXON YOU MUST UNDERSTAND THOSE TWO THINGS ARE GREAT LET ME EXPLAIN *deep breath*

• Like 3

I honestly enjoy fleshing out the environment, the backgrounds of characters, what little things could mean more than they do in a piece of media. I find a lot of fun in overanalyzing mad max, for example. It makes watching the movies over and over and finding new things that could mean this and that really fulfilling. 

Buuuut it's just a hobby, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

because thats probably the grass you are referring to.

But I can think of worse things than HTTYD and digimon, even if people fawn over it as the best thing ever

A better analogy, then - it's like they decided to fawn over something, and just drew something out of a hat.

1 hour ago, Faust said:

Personally, I'm happy to respect anyone's opinion on any subject so long as it's clear they've considered it rather than just bowed to peer pressure.

That kinda hits the nail on the head really - people enjoying stuff is fine, people enjoying stuff illogically is bizarre.

In the cases of Digimon fans, they sometimes c"justify" their fanship (like what Saxon mentioned), except their "justification" doesn't make sense.

I do enjoy some children shows taking on some mature matters that many other shows reject. Like death, or instance. Every kid may have a grandparent, friend, parent, or other family member die in their young lifetime,and it is an uncomfortable truth. That's how the third season of Digimon covered a few episodes of it. I wouldn't call it "deep".

If it becomes agnsty for just ratings with no sound reason, then it gets boring.

• Like 1

With Digimon, I wonder of nostalgia is involved somewhere. I know I watched the show when I was really young, like elementary school, and was pretty floored by how good it was. But that's when I was, you know, eight or something. I haven't seen it sense.

However, I bet I'd still have a fondness for it simply because I remember really liking it way back when. I'd at least be able to overlook some flaws :P

I think the real problem is that people don't want to admit that the things they like aren't always amazing. You can like stupid shit and be fine with that. I love Inuyasha but that anime is far from good. It sometimes hits good, like a handful of episodes do, but it's mostly not good. It's fun though, and I like the characters so who gives a shit? Plus its' also nostalgic which helps.

14 hours ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

I mean if you want to talk Alpha and Omega...

@DevilishlyHandsome49 and probably @shiy0.

i'm still the opinion (and that cant be called out enough) that they shouldve took the secondary couple consisting of emo-wolf and mr handsome and made them main. i wouldnt have bothered at all to see more of those two but nah. rather give the main douches who got together under stockholm syndrome (wich seems to be kinda a thing these days with badly animated movies) these hellspawns of puppies (wich will haunt your dreams) and make another 15 parts with them in wich they never grow up because they are dead and all those just cover up theyre afterlife.
awoohooh...

• Like 1