I feel ashamed...

TrishaCat

So recently I was asked what my top 5 favorite western RPGs are, and I realized something: I've barely played any WRPGs. The only traditional WRPGs I've played are Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. And I only really like Morrowind and Fallout 3. Not really a fan of the others and/or haven't played them enough for it to mean anything.

I felt bad that I couldn't give a proper answer; I basically told the person games like Oneshot and Undertale which are American indie RPGs often called JRPGs due to their gameplay, and Guild Wars 2, which is an MMO. I haven't really played anything. I felt so ashamed....

So basically, I wanted to ask if you guys could recommend me some WRPGs without naming:

-Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (I own it and will play it)

-The Witcher/2/3 (I plan to try this series out already)

-Borderlands (I don't like it)

-Mass Effect (I plan to give it a try later on)

Citizens of Earth is really good, if you haven't heard of it (chances are you have).

Breath of Death VII and Cthulu Saves the World are often bundled together on Steam for less than a dollar, and the former has a rather interesting battle system in which you're healed after every battle (being a party of undead characters), but you have to recover mana manually. It becomes a game of "how far can I go before turning back?" Besides that, the monsters get progressively stronger the longer you take to defeat them, and you only have to do so many random encounters per area before it then becomes optional to fight in that area, making weak enemies much less annoying after you've sufficiently level ground.

Deus Ex the original you can get it on steam for 7$.  The game has absolutely stunning amounts of choice in it and it still puts modern games to shame.  There so many legitimately different solutions to every single problem the game presents you with it is insane.  Also its set in a very interesting dystopian cyberpunk future with an excellent story and characters.

There is also the newer one Deus Ex Human revolution which isn't as good on the whole, but it does have much nicer graphics and the social encounter "boss fights" are unmatched by any other game I have ever seen especially if you get the mod for them.

Deus Ex

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (make sure to get WESP patch)

Neverwinter Nights 2 (one is optional, its nowhere near as good)

Dark Messiah Might and Magic (greatest kicking sim of all time)

also Knights of the Old Republic 2, since you only said not to mention 1, and 2 is much superior

- Gothic I and II. Great climate and original setting.

- Fable. Not even explaining why. Absolutely unique game.

- Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. TES: Oblivion, but ten times better.

- Planescape: Torment. Best story in the history of gaming. Unique, original world, with it's own mythology

- Risen. A great take on reviving Gothic I and II spirit.

- Baldur's Gate. No further questions, the most important classic of them all. Icon

- Icewind Dale

- Bard's Tale - again, unique

- Evil Islands

- Shadowrun. The only cyberpunk on that list

- Arcanum. The only steampunk on that list

I'm perfectly sure I forgot about something.

Edited by Ayattar

You guys reminded me that Deus Ex: Human Revolution was my most hyped for game before its release and then I forgot about it after it came out. I should really jump on one of those sales and get it along with the original games.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (make sure to get WESP patch)

I've heard SO many good things about this. People have constantly said its one of the best games out there. What's it like?

Why feel ashamed tho? If ye havent played much, ye haven't played much. No big deal about it. I don't play a lot of wrpg cuz they just don't strike my fancy. 

Anyways tho. Go try out southpark stick of truth. I still call it jrpg cuz reasons but it's western made so yeah. 

Because I can't even properly name 5 WRPGs I like but I'm so far down the rabbit hole with JRPGs I play games like Hyperdimension Neptunia and am super excited for games like Tokyo Xanadu.

Citizens of Earth is really good, if you haven't heard of it (chances are you have).

Breath of Death VII and Cthulu Saves the World are often bundled together on Steam for less than a dollar, and the former has a rather interesting battle system in which you're healed after every battle (being a party of undead characters), but you have to recover mana manually. It becomes a game of "how far can I go before turning back?" Besides that, the monsters get progressively stronger the longer you take to defeat them, and you only have to do so many random encounters per area before it then becomes optional to fight in that area, making weak enemies much less annoying after you've sufficiently level ground.

Thanks but I'm looking for more traditional WRPGs. I mean, some people would go and define those as JRPGs due to how they play.

Edited by Battlechili

I've heard SO many good things about this. People have constantly said its one of the best games out there. I should give it a try.

Honestly if you only played one from my list, it should be VTMB

my first playthrough was some of the most fun I've ever had with a videogame

just make sure to pirate it and not give money to Activision, they are mostly to blame for killing Troika, the devs

Edited by Zerig

Deus Ex: HR is pretty decent, I need to finish it up before getting the newest one.

Definitely recommend Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor. Lots of people will probably tell you it was over-hyped, but I really enjoyed it. I actually still need to finish that too... Gah, too distracted by other games to finish anything. 3x