I got fired!

AshleyAshes

And it's the best news ever.  Officially for 'no cause', unofficially we all know it's because of the unionization, being outspoken about wages of lower paid departments, openly critical of management, clashing with PayRoll every time they couldn't pay me correctly.  You know, dangerous things like that.  But you see, I was getting poached... And they apparently didn't know about that so a WEEK before I was going to QUIT and get nothing but my unused vacation days cashed out, so they offered me a nice big severance to leave quietly without asking challenging anything.  They were like "Do you want to go over this with a lawyer first?  You can take it home, go over it, and fax it back in signed later" and I'm trying not to burst out laughing while I'm all "Oh no, let's just sign this now."

It's like HR robbed the company and gave me the money.  Ah ha ha ha. :D

This also validates my opinion that management was incompetent.  They basically set money on fire. :D

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2017 at 11:26 PM, Butters said:

I imagine you must be great at interviews since you turn negatives into positives quite easily. 

I'm on a two week vacation between jobs and getting stupid crazy money for this two weeks.  And I was quitting for this new company ANYWAY.  Where's the negative? :P

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

One year, it's the 4K Pro model which was only released in Nov 2016.  I waited for the Black Friday price drop cause, well, MRSP is for suckers.

It's still, at its core, a four-year-old system though, with the exact same game library.
We got one of the originals during its holiday release. Lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tosh already owns one of those.
A ton of people already do. Semantics and irrelevant bullshit between last-minute cash-milking "revivals" aside.

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

At this point I'm probably just showing off my consumerism because it upsets Toshabi.  I literally bought the PS4 for Persona 5.

I doubt he'd care. Buying a video game console most people here own (in some facet) isn't really anything to brag about to someone who's preparing to comfortably make a much larger and critical financial investment. 

1 minute ago, Tsuujou said:

I doubt he'd care. Buying a video game console most people here own (in some facet) isn't really anything to brag about to someone who's preparing to comfortably make a much larger and critical financial investment. 

Dunno, he seems invested in any post I make in this thread. :o

Just now, Tsuujou said:

It's no different from any time he's made fun of someone over the years, honestly. Not really a unique case here.

In all seriousness though what I'm really considering is a nose job.  But while some holiday splurging is one thing, rhinoplasty is more like $5K.  It's not that I don't have the cash for that but it's that with the rough math right now, I only have sufficient cash reserves to last about 12-14 months of unemployment.  (At least I think, I need to make a more thought out spreadsheet for that)  So I feel like before dumping money into something cosmetic like that I should increase the savings to cover 24 months first.  Though there's certainly a lot more financial freedom since I paid off my student loans on Nov 1st and I can increase savings a lot more rapidly now that I'm now paying off my debts to the government.

14 hours ago, Socketosis said:

Weeeeeeeb!

GI5eBca.jpg

I mean, I -did- buy a PS4 purely to play Persona 5 so I think 'Weeb' was already declared.  I primarily play on PC, including my HTPC/Steam Machines, the PS4 is basically for Japanese exclusives.

Also, ha ha, some theme on those DVDs.  Gakuen Heaven: BL series.  Haunted Junction: Has a female character with a 'shota complex' who wants to make cute young boys into her 'little sisters'.  Here Is Greenwood: Super fem character Shun Kisaragi.  Kashimashi: Honest to god boy transformed into a girl by aliens.  Otoboku: Boy crossdresses to get into girl's school.  Princess Princess: All boy's school selects the prettiest boys to dress as girls and be 'princesses' to improve school moral. :P

26 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I mean, I -did- buy a PS4 purely to play Persona 5 so I think 'Weeb' was already declared.  I primarily play on PC, including my HTPC/Steam Machines, the PS4 is basically for Japanese exclusives.

Also, ha ha, some theme on those DVDs.  Gakuen Heaven: BL series.  Haunted Junction: Has a female character with a 'shota complex' who wants to make cute young boys into her 'little sisters'.  Here Is Greenwood: Super fem character Shun Kisaragi.  Kashimashi: Honest to god boy transformed into a girl by aliens.  Otoboku: Boy crossdresses to get into girl's school.  Princess Princess: All boy's school selects the prettiest boys to dress as girls and be 'princesses' to improve school moral. :P

What other anime do you have?

52 minutes ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

What other anime do you have?

To be honest the only other anime I have as physical media is just the other three discs there, the blurays.  Re-Life, A Silent Voice, and Your Name.  ...The server on the other hand currently has 6.6TB of anime series, OVAs and movies on it. :)

11 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

To be honest the only other anime I have as physical media is just the other three discs there, the blurays.  Re-Life, A Silent Voice, and Your Name.  ...The server on the other hand currently has 6.6TB of anime series, OVAs and movies on it. :)

I'll admit some of the titles you mentioned are now on a watch later list ^^

What can you recommend from the server?

>weeb posting

>but not inviting me

IMAG0144.thumb.jpg.fcae6488389958f7dcc589aa4c492e18.jpg

Behold my powerlevel

My full collection is at home at the moment so this is all I have on hand, but Gurren Lagann, Panty & Stocking, and Durarara!! are the best series I have in my collection anyways so the most important stuff is in here.

2 hours ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

some of the titles you mentioned are now on a watch later list

Make extra sure that Your Name is on that list. You very likely wouldn't regret it.

Gakuen Heaven: BL series.  Haunted Junction: Has a female character with a 'shota complex' who wants to make cute young boys into her 'little sisters'.  Here Is Greenwood: Super fem character Shun Kisaragi.  Kashimashi: Honest to god boy transformed into a girl by aliens.  Otoboku: Boy crossdresses to get into girl's school.  Princess Princess: All boy's school selects the prettiest boys to dress as girls and be 'princesses' to improve school moral.

I'm noticing a trend here. I seem to recall you playing Akiba's Trip not too long ago too.

42 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

Behold my powerlevel

My full collection is at home at the moment so this is all I have on hand, but Gurren Lagann, Panty & Stocking, and Durarara!! are the best series I have in my collection anyways so the most important stuff is in here.

I've actually got some of that stuff already :o

43 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

Make extra sure that Your Name is on that list. You very likely wouldn't regret it.

Sure is on the list old sport!

5 hours ago, QT Melon said:

Pfft, No Satoshi Kon. Fail.

No the server holds a good number of Kon's works.

10 hours ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

I'll admit some of the titles you mentioned are now on a watch later list ^^

What can you recommend from the server?

...Lemme check, there's 282 anime series on the server. >_>;;;

Genshiken Second Season with Hato the seemingly transgender club member is good. (It's actually overall a good ANIME too)

Wondering Son is... The only 'serious' trans anime I've seen and by serious I mean 'Oh, this'll make you cry'. o_____o

Love Stage, BL anime with some crossdressing themes.  Himigoto, might as well be a crossdressing hentai anime if all the sex scenes were missing.  'High School Life Of A Fudanshi (Male Yaoi Fan)' is literally self explanatory. Kiss Him, Not Me, it's about a yaoi fangirl who doesn't want the boys to be interested in her but for them to be interested in each other.  

15 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

No the server holds a good number of Kon's works.

...Lemme check, there's 282 anime series on the server. >_>;;;

Genshiken Second Season with Hato the seemingly transgender club member is good. (It's actually overall a good ANIME too)

Wondering Son is... The only 'serious' trans anime I've seen and by serious I mean 'Oh, this'll make you cry'. o_____o

Love Stage, BL anime with some crossdressing themes.  Himigoto, might as well be a crossdressing hentai anime if all the sex scenes were missing.  'High School Life Of A Fudanshi (Male Yaoi Fan)' is literally self explanatory. Kiss Him, Not Me, it's about a yaoi fangirl who doesn't want the boys to be interested in her but for them to be interested in each other.  

Some of those are now on the list ;D

You might like Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, it doesn't explore those themes as much but it' sweet and does have an episode where a certain character dresses up as a magical girl.

To Love Ru is also good, explores many different themes. Be sure to watch the OVAs.

10 hours ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

Some of those are now on the list ;D

You might like Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, it doesn't explore those themes as much but it' sweet and does have an episode where a certain character dresses up as a magical girl.

To Love Ru is also good, explores many different themes. Be sure to watch the OVAs.

I do watch lots of other anime but you seemed interested in a particular theme.  :P

12 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I do watch lots of other anime but you seemed interested in a particular theme.  :P

It's a theme that I haven't seen much of before, but after seeing what you had my interest perked up.

Therefore, it's all your fault that I've now got a whole bunch of similarly-themed anime on the list ^____^

On topic: congrats on getting fired and blowing money on things.

• 2 months later...

Good news everyone!  Last week the company canned 80 people!  This week they announced that 150-200 more will be fired by Friday!  They're nearly entirely shutting down operations and moving them to India and literally hundreds of people will get nothing more than the bare minimum that the law guarantees as they exit!  Hurray!

...Seriously the survivor's guilt eats me alive. D:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Now EVERYONE got fired! Amazing right?  You think it was maybe that India thing?  That may not even be sustainable now.  The owners basically ran the place into the ground.  I'll spare you the details and sum itup in one sentence; "Never, ever, ever, EVER disappoint The Walt Disney Company or any of it's subsidaries."

And here's the thing, NO ONE is ready for this. What the fuck?  The firings have been from the bottom up so it was the most highly skilled individuals, who didn't already jump ship, who were let go this week.  I've targeted a few of them to poach to my employeer, we moved to a new office and these people have years of experience worth grabbing up.  ...None of the even have demoreels ready.  They have literally spent two months watching the company disintegrate around them and no where in that time did they prepair the necessary materials to begin the search for other gainful employment in the industry.  Like, what the fuck?  This isn't new either.  I've seen this thread all over this.  While a minority jumped ship, the majority were content to never look farther ahead than the next day ahead of them.  Nothing prepaired for likely long term scenarios.

It's only convinced me of one thing; Millenials are screwed.  Seriously, most are not ready for life in the 21st and they're going to let it kick them around and abuse them at every turn.  No matter how much they cry about how unfair anything is, the majority will never take any meaingful action to better things.

@AshleyAshes Look at it this way: if everyone made preparations and started looking around early you would've had much more competition for your new job, and unless an entire company's worth of similar jobs magically popped up most of them wouldn't have gotten the equivalent of their old jobs anyway.

At least with the way things turned out you had an easier time getting out early.

1 hour ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

@AshleyAshes Look at it this way: if everyone made preparations and started looking around early you would've had much more competition for your new job, and unless an entire company's worth of similar jobs magically popped up most of them wouldn't have gotten the equivalent of their old jobs anyway.

At least with the way things turned out you had an easier time getting out early.

Well, no, you're a bit confused in the timeline.  After much unsuccessful shitdisturbing for management, I sought work elsewhere and secured an offer before getting fired.  But my firing was one of event at the end of OC.  The mass firings came at the end of this winter, in three waves over the last month.  I was already WELL ahead of the curve.

14 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Well, no, you're a bit confused in the timeline.  After much unsuccessful shitdisturbing for management, I sought work elsewhere and secured an offer before getting fired.  But my firing was one of event at the end of OC.  The mass firings came at the end of this winter, in three waves over the last month.  I was already WELL ahead of the curve.

Alright lets rephrase then: if all of them jumped ship two months ago most of them wouldn't have gotten the equivalent of their old jobs anyway unless an entire company's worth of similar jobs magically popped up. At least this way the minority that jumped ship early had an easier time.

I'm not sure about Canada, but in USA and Australia the percentage of college/university graduates securing jobs applicable to their degree has been shrinking over the years. And don't give me that "maybe they've all started studying gender equality" crap either, there's plenty of people with practical degrees but the jobs for them are simply not there. Hell in one of the banks I worked at my friend told me before he left that they started to employ engineers to do the same job that he was doing and he only received high school education.

I don't think the minority that left your company early would've been thankful if everyone else had the same idea as that would've just made it much harder to secure an equivalent job elsewhere.

12 hours ago, WileyWarWeasel said:

Alright lets rephrase then: if all of them jumped ship two months ago most of them wouldn't have gotten the equivalent of their old jobs anyway unless an entire company's worth of similar jobs magically popped up. At least this way the minority that jumped ship early had an easier time.

I'm not sure about Canada, but in USA and Australia the percentage of college/university graduates securing jobs applicable to their degree has been shrinking over the years. And don't give me that "maybe they've all started studying gender equality" crap either, there's plenty of people with practical degrees but the jobs for them are simply not there. Hell in one of the banks I worked at my friend told me before he left that they started to employ engineers to do the same job that he was doing and he only received high school education.

I don't think the minority that left your company early would've been thankful if everyone else had the same idea as that would've just made it much harder to secure an equivalent job elsewhere.

I concede that, the biggest advantage to those who jump first is the simple fact that a bunch of others jumped second, third, fourth, and some around 15th are looking at the building on fire and going 'Should... Should I do something now or will this just solve itself?'

Similarly that goes for the "maybe they've all started studying gender equality" sort.  There ARE jobs in those fields are there are any field, but in some there are really not a LOT of jobs, so if you only thought that field was 'pretty cool, I guess I'll do that job' you will NEVER win out against the insane, super dedicated go-getter who racked up volunteer hours at places you never even heard of, made connections, and impressed the right people.  And that's also kinda what I did, I'm not in the most competitive field, but even in college some thought I was 'crazy' buying police uniforms and dumping my savings into production value to do a police shoot out and other nonsense that looked GREAT on a college graduates demoreel.  But this is why I've literally worked on Marvel movies where as some former classmates work the register at Michael's.

We for sure don't live in the world where the equation is as simple as 'Diploma = Job'.  There's competition and we as a society ill prepare people FOR that competition.  You never had your guidance councillor say 'You can be anything you want to be when you grow up.  ...But some of that shit will be cut throat, so you better be ready to stab a few people in the back to get there.  Are you ready to do that?  If not, I have this nice pamphlet from Starbucks for you to read instead.'.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My old employer is cleaning house and selling the office furniture.  So I'm literally going to pick the bones of that company and buy my old desk chair back, it retails $469 USD and Imma get it for $100 CAD. :D

Also my CURRENT employer is pleased that I used my contacts so they can pick the bones themselves and furnish our expansion for cheap.  Bwa ha ha ha. :V

• 3 weeks later...

So there I am, at my old employer's location, riding down in the elevator with my purchases and who gets in the elevator with us?  The supervisor who I'd literally not seen since I was in the board room with her as I was fired in October.  "What are you doing here Ashley?"  "Uhh... I'm just buying the office furniture. ^^;"  So that was fun.

And, ya know, I did spent 2 years sitting in these models of chair for up to 14hrs per day so I know it's a chair that I find perfectly comfortable to sit in.  So to pick these two up for what actually turned out to be $125 CAD each, as opposed to the new price of $469 USD, yeah I'm very pleased with that.  Not to mention the pleasure of getting to pick the meat off the bones of the company that fired me. :)

IMG_20180419_173849.jpg