Mini Rant: Bad Parenting

Sidewalk Surfboard

Oh boy, this could get people mad. I don't care. Bad parenting is probably the biggest epidemic in my area, judging how the middle schoolers behave around here. Specifically today, I'm talking this one girl on my bus. She's bald, so we'll call her B. B is very, very loud. I mean extremely. To the point that her screaming and yelling made me have a panic attack on the bus yesterday. And you know what the worst part is? If you try to politely tell her to be quiet, she will start screaming "SHUT UP" to everyone and start hitting and kicking her seat like a fucking toddler. She's also violent. She tried to throw a fucking shoe at me for asking her to be quiet. How the fuck does a parent mess up this bad? This girl is in middle school. How the fuck did she even get out of the 1st grade? Her parents quite obviously don't give 2 shits about how she behaves, because no sane parent would allow this kind of behavior.

Oh boy, this could get people mad. I don't care. Bad parenting is probably the biggest epidemic in my area, judging how the middle schoolers behave around here. Specifically today, I'm talking this one girl on my bus. She's bald, so we'll call her B. B is very, very loud. I mean extremely. To the point that her screaming and yelling made me have a panic attack on the bus yesterday. And you know what the worst part is? If you try to politely tell her to be quiet, she will start screaming "SHUT UP" to everyone and start hitting and kicking her seat like a fucking toddler. She's also violent. She tried to throw a fucking shoe at me for asking her to be quiet. How the fuck does a parent mess up this bad? This girl is in middle school. How the fuck did she even get out of the 1st grade? Her parents quite obviously don't give 2 shits about how she behaves, because no sane parent would allow this kind of behavior.

So...

What about your parents?

So you assume and judge the parents ability to raise their child based on the behaviour of the child? That's very ignorant. Maybe the girl has a mental disorder and cannot help the way she acts around other people. If that's the case, then the parents aren't necessarily at fault. 

Consider the alternative possibilities before you pass judgment.

So you assume and judge the parents ability to raise their child based on the behaviour of the child? That's very ignorant. Maybe the girl has a mental disorder and cannot help the way she acts around other people. If that's the case, then the parents aren't necessarily at fault. 

Consider the alternative possibilities before you pass judgment.

A mental disorder isn't an excuse for behavior like that. You are part of the problem.

• Like 1

A mental disorder isn't an excuse for behavior like that. You are part of the problem.

I didn't say it was excuse. I was explaining how it may not be the parents fault for how she acted. Mental disorders variety in complexity and severity. Some people with conditions know right from wrong and act accordingly. While others cannot grasp the social norms and behaviours. And finally, there are those (with or without mental disorders)who act outrageously because they can. Some people are just the way they are. You can't blame the parents, the disability or the person until you know which factor is at play.

I didn't say it was excuse. I was explaining how it may not be the parents fault for how she acted. Mental disorders variety in complexity and severity. Some people with conditions know right from wrong and act accordingly. While others cannot grasp the social norms and behaviours. And finally, there are those (with or without mental disorders)who act outrageously because they can. Some people are just the way they are. You can't blame the parents, the disability or the person until you know which factor is at play.

If she had a mental disorder that severe she would have been put on the special needs bus at this point. She's just a shitty brat.

Still, it ain't down to "bad parenting" if that's the case. Maybe parents who mean well, but are at the end of their limits trying to raise an incredibly difficult child, and lack the knowledge or resources to correctly deal with the specific problem or the kid's behaviour.

Yeah, I'm not saying that if that was the case, they wouldn't be in the wrong for not TRYING to find out how to deal with it. But, it's possible that some parents really do lack the means. Time constraints, financial, etc.

So many double negatives >.<

If she had a mental disorder that severe she would have been put on the special needs bus at this point. She's just a shitty brat.

What are the criteria? Does it require a diagnosis? There are issues I've had my entire life that were only diagnosed at around ~20 because at that point I felt that I'd actually kind of like to know and decided to cooperate.

Also if you're American I guess her family might just be poor. I swear it's like every other American I know should have sought medical advice far more often than they can actually afford to.

Haha are you kidding me? Let's assume the girl DOES have a disorder. Do you have any idea how much health care costs to properly raise non-neurotypical kids on a severe side of the spectrum? If you're in a low income area, she probably never got raised "right" because her parents couldn't afford to treat her right. She's bald for definitely a reason, dude. 

And even then, do you blame a kid who has downs that he sounds like an idiot? Mental disorders can explain the behavior, but obviously not condone it. Someone in her life can't afford the therapy she needs. Seriously, assuming bad parenting just because someone's a shithead is a dick move. Besides- its middle school! People are shitheads by default, independant of their parents. 

Wait. How old are you? In middle school I was.. 11 to 14. 

Haha are you kidding me? Let's assume the girl DOES have a disorder. Do you have any idea how much health care costs to properly raise non-neurotypical kids on a severe side of the spectrum? If you're in a low income area, she probably never got raised "right" because her parents couldn't afford to treat her right. She's bald for definitely a reason, dude. 

And even then, do you blame a kid who has downs that he sounds like an idiot? Mental disorders can explain the behavior, but obviously not condone it. Someone in her life can't afford the therapy she needs. Seriously, assuming bad parenting just because someone's a shithead is a dick move. Besides- its middle school! People are shitheads by default, independant of their parents. 

Wait. How old are you? In middle school I was.. 11 to 14. 

My age doesn't matter here. Everybody so far has told me that I'm the bad guy when all I did was politely ask her to be quiet. I'm frustrated, and tired of arguing with people.

I'm asking your age because my answer to a grown ass adult who should know better is different for a kid just barely getting their perceptions in life started, you combative donut. 

How old are people in 'middle school'?

In other parts of the United States, Middle Schools are called Junior High Schools. Typically students in the 6th, 7th and 8th grades go there so students aged 11-14 years old.

It is just young enough that perhaps there are signs of mental handicaps but maybe not everything will be done right away so that parts of the brain where the cognitive functions are allowed to develop first.

I knew a guy in my Boy Scout Troop, we can call him Nick, who was on Ritalin and several medications for his problems. He liked to say outrageous, wacky and off the wall things, do strange things, even going as far as stripping his pants down and making loud noises, screaming and babbling while running through the campsite after dark. After one trip without his mother, the troop committee decided one of his parents had to be present with him on every outing or he was not allowed to go. It was too much for the adult members to deal with without the authority to make him obey them when he was in trouble. He is someone who goes to my church.

He was even an altar boy for a couple of years when I was an altar boy at my church.. It was sometimes hard not to laugh at him acting weird. I even caught the priest chuckle quietly one time. I grew up knowing him. I knew his parents. His parents are good people. (His father passed away last year, sadly)  Nick has grown up to be a responsible, mature  and healthy adult. I am sure he takes medicine for whatever else makes him tick, but for the most part he is normal human being. It is likely this is the same case with B.

After the streaking incident at camp, all the leadership of the troop had a meeting with Nick's mother. Nick's mother told us not to react to him. He was doing the things he was doing because he wanted attention. It is easy to say that but harder in practice when he was running almost buck-naked through a campsite, but eventually we all got it, quit reacting with shock and horror to him and he stopped acting like that for camping trips.

It won't be easy but stop reacting to B and maybe B will stop being such a demon on the bus.

Edited by Skylar Husky

One, I think you care far too much about what other people are doing. Given your age that's not surprising, but really you ought to focus on your studies and your hobbies. Fuck your peers you don't need 'em, worry more about yourself. They, and you, aren't even going to be the same person ten years from now. You make a lot of these topics and middle school kids are notoriously the shittiest bracket. Just old enough to have a poor attitude and just young enough to have no idea how to use it. Find something to immerse yourself in and ignore kids, preferably something that stimulates your mind.

Two, don't waste your time getting up on a soapbox and decrying bad parenting unless you yourself are a bad parent. While it's true you can make those observations without being a parent, there's so many factors that go into a child's behavior it universally makes you look like a grumpy, ignorant asshole to do it even as an adult. It's really just not something worth wasting your thoughts on.