That New Forum Smell

Caretaker

I vote that insults = fine, harassment = bad. I like that grey area between socially acceptable and legally acceptable that allows societies to self-police to some extent.

I'll agree with this to a point: Insults in the vocative should be streng verboten or, at the very least, viewed as extremely corrosive to the social fabric here. It's wildly inappropriate to call an individual any sort of denigrating, derogatory names in any context. In fact, the way I was raised, it was viewed as permissible to use words like Scheiße and verdammt with conviction as long as you did not call anyone names in this manner.

„Es gibt so viele Scheißlieder im Radio“ There are so many shitty songs on the radio? Perfectly okay.

„Deine Idee ist wohl Scheiße.“ Your idea is probably stupid (read: shit)? Also okay.

„Frau Hoffmann ist eine verdammte Kackschlampe.“ Mrs. Hoffmann is a fucking bitch? Not okay.

Similarly: „David, du Wichser, was hast du hier denn gemacht?“ David, you wanker, what have you done? Nope, not okay.

• Like 1

That just seems pointless to me. You can still be just as much of an asshole by saying things like 'your idea is fucking stupid', even if we can claim it technically isn't directed at a person. And then rather than say 'you are an asshole, fuck off' everyone has to play the same silly game to call them out on it. It changes the wording slightly but leaves the intent just the same, and I think if we can deal with one—or not—then the same is true of the other.

I would rather it just be the same as in life. If someone is going out of their way to target someone and make them miserable, then it is harassment and they should be banned. If they argue in a thread and somebody gets called a fuckwit then it's just a social matter for us to react how we wish.

I would rather it just be the same as in life. If someone is going out of their way to target someone and make them miserable, then it is harassment and they should be banned. If they argue in a thread and somebody gets called a fuckwit then it's just a social matter for us to react how we wish.

Ah, but therein lies the distinction: In the vocative pejorative, it becomes harder not to construe what was said as harassment. Going against the abstract or against inanimate objects also leaves things open for legitimate argument, even if the same or similar message as the vocative pejorative can be conveyed through the abstract as an actor. It's just more defensible.

I should probably specify that when I say 'harassment' I mean in the persistent sense, not just hostility in general.

In any case I've just never found that to work very well. People still feel the same range of emotions and when you take away some phrases they will use the next best means of expressing it that they have: everyone else knows they're doing it and will understand what they mean. Rules like that mostly just seem to catch people who get angry too fast to moderate what they say, rather than the ones who are intentionally cruel.

Not that it really matters much because, like I said, it's not hard to express the same things. I personally just prefer to be active in places where I can say what I think without having to make sure it's technically acceptable, even if most of what I think is technically acceptable anyway. It's like when a cop follows you and suddenly you have to micromanage your driving even if it was fine before that.

It took a little getting used to but it's very sleek, is there any way to not have a bold signature though?  I did try saving it with the text set to bold/non-bold much to no avail.

The text in my signature isn't bold o-O... I have no idea what you've done. Have you tried just selecting the text and toggling "bold" a couple of times to see if it changes (as in, five or more times at once, in case one click doesn't fix it)

The text in my signature isn't bold o-O... I have no idea what you've done. Have you tried just selecting the text and toggling "bold" a couple of times to see if it changes (as in, five or more times at once, in case one click doesn't fix it)

Hmm, how odd... and it was bold by default and after clicking it the once it did change on my end in the window.  I'll try bullying the bold button though!

All was lost....

This light theme.....

Can't see anything...

Why???.....

d0f640df9d93876ba7ea0164f54aacbf.jpg

Edited by Vitaly

Yes, like Sylver mentioned I'd like something like the lil' ''Something users are currently viewing this thread: foxcum21, redrocketzzzz, bigdildo14'' and so on and so forth

It would also be nice to have numbered posts (a small ''Post #X'' attached on every post) and the ability to see how many posts there are per page and in total

Yes, like Sylver mentioned I'd like something like the lil' ''Something users are currently viewing this thread: foxcum21, redrocketzzzz, bigdildo14'' and so on and so forth

It would also be nice to have numbered posts (a small ''Post #X'' attached on every post) and the ability to see how many posts there are per page and in total

https://phoenix.corvidae.org/online/

Why limit yourself to a thread? Stalk to your heart's content.

• Like 1

whats it like being a newfag

newfag

Exciting! Now I finally have absolutely no excuses to keep visiting this fucking place.

Is your screen really bright? There's a line there as usual but it's pretty faint.

I'm not a smart person.

But hey finally a non-stupid way to quote multiple posts! There had to be a bright side to this butt ugly design.

Edited by Corto

Summing up:

Pro:

- I love that we have a mobile site now. So comfortable

- I like the new beginning

- I like the HTML5 support and the design in general

Contra:

(- Post counts *sniff*)

- All the old threads and archived threads are gone :(

Cant think of much more atm

[20:19:32] <Kaedal> "You are only allowed to give reputation 10 times per day. You cannot give any more reputation today."
[20:19:34] <Kaedal> THIS IS OPPRESSIVE

I feel oppressed. It's bad enough that my wallet is limited, but my rep is too?! What is this authoritarian no-fun regime?! :v

Summing up:

Pro:

- I love that we have a mobile site now. So comfortable

- I like the new beginning

- I like the HTML5 support and the design in general

Contra:

(- Post counts *sniff*)

- All the old threads and archived threads are gone :(

Cant think of much more atm

The old content should mostly be available over at archive.org so there is that.

Post Counts can be edited.

I will take all feedback into account and adjust/tweak settings and search for useful plugins. On the shopping list is a dark skin, so not everybodies eyes get burned by bright backgrounds. Also on my list, raising the post-edit timer.

^ Edit

Would it be possible to add an IRC plugin to the site somehow? So it could act as a shoutbox. That'd be awesome!

Eh, I'm a dummy and would prefer a legit chatbox. IRC feels convoluted. Don't wanna download anything. 

• Guest unpinned this topic