Musicians are the worst kind of dreamer

Zeitzbach

Even insecure art major waving around their 5-digit useless piece of paper like an autistic child trying to feel good about themselves is a lot more bearable. The sob journal, self-bitch and constant demand for praise cause of their god complex isn't annoying as listening to a person trying to get into music because "ACOUSTIC GUITAR? MORE LIKE... ACOOLTIC GUITAR."

karung karung karung kek kek kek kek bup bup

Hearing them swinging their hand randomly when they make a mistake to restart is fine the first few times. After the 30th time, fuck that. Hearing a certain part of the song you liked is good the first few time. After the 25th fail attempt to play the same part over and over, fuck that. Even mentally disabled tranny rages are a lot more bearable after the 20th time because at least they're funny when they're being stupid.

Unless you live alone, don't dream of becoming a musician. You're making it hell for everyone else while wasting as much time and money as art major doing the same cover over and over while not being creative and original.

One of my good friends is a musician, and he's not insufferable in this way at all. If anything, he needs more confidence in himself since he's kind of depressed all the time.

But then, we're online buds so I only get to hear his finished stuff, not him practicing.

Hearing someone practice music is like looking at someone practice art.

You don't mind the first few pieces for CnC but the 5th piece will start to annoying you.

The differences are that you can choose not to look at art but you can't close your ears to a person playing a guitar 20 steps away from you.

This is why I'm absolutely terrified to play in front of people. 

I absolutely refuse to practice around people. I mess up all the time.

People that overhear say I'm really good, I just don't believe I'm not bothering the hell out of everybody when I play. So I keep it hidden for the most part.

On the plus side, I learned how to improvise on the contingency that I fuck up or forget my part. So that's nice, if I ever feel confident enough to get the chance to fuck up. 

Edited by Bloodshot_Eyes
  • Like 1

You know, you don't do too good a job at representing your major.

Over time he's become more and more of a bizarre caricature. It's kept up long enough that I've stopped assuming it's just trolling and have instead put him in the same category as the person who walks down my street screaming obscenities every morning at 7 am.

• Like 2

Ladies ladies no fighting

We all know 90% of everyone who picks up a guitar sucks at it and just wants vagina credits

However much like the radio, you cpuld always turn it off

Just a swift chop to the carotid artery and most art majors droplike a poorly done portfolio

• Like 2

We all know 90% of everyone who picks up a guitar sucks at it and just wants vagina credits

Just a swift chop to the carotid artery and most art majors droplike a poorly done portfolio

Dey want de pusi b0ss?

Sad part is some portfolio look better closed. Kinda explain why they have to resort to nsfw.

tumblr_nsdohlQiea1rp337xo1_400.jpg

Crikey OP, relax. May I suggest buying a couple of ear plugs to block out this stream of brown notes? That would easily fix the problem. Unless this goes beyond some crappy excuse of music and it's more about hating the person doing the playing. In that case, IDK man

telling people to give up on their dreams because it's causing you a slight inconvenience doesn't really make you a paragon of civility either buddy

You're indirectly killing these people by telling them to chase worthless dream.

If they still suck after a year, it's time to change and learn how to brew great coffee.

You're indirectly killing these people by telling them to chase worthless dream.

If they still suck after a year, it's time to change and learn how to brew great coffee.

Not doing what you love is equivalent to being dead inside imo ¯\_(-v-)_/¯

brewing a perfect  cup of coffee is a pretty good dream to follow too tho

• Like 1

Crikey OP, relax. May I suggest buying a couple of ear plugs to block out this stream of brown notes? That would easily fix the problem. Unless this goes beyond some crappy excuse of music and it's more about hating the person doing the playing. In that case, IDK man

Yeah I second this, but with the added rule of no playing after like 1AM or something. At all.

Not even earplugs could drown out my flatmate's awful singing at 4AM. But it was like, 8 months into renting the place and I was too scared of confrontation to say anything.

• Like 1

You are only allowed to do what you love if you can find the money for it.

The thread has been a laugh a minute, but this one takes the cake! I love the way it subtly suggests that life is all about scraping together enough money to economically justfy your existence. The beautiful way it dismisses leisure activities and the arts in some vain attempt to spit in the eye of a percieved nihilistic existence!

The dismissive pomposity, the ego, the repetitious subject matter! Magnificent! Truly a masterwork of an artisanal troll!

• Like 3

wait hold on i'm a music major! don't stop now, i wanna hear what you think of me, this is entertaining

Not doing what you love is equivalent to being dead inside imo ¯\_(-v-)_/¯

brewing a perfect  cup of coffee is a pretty good dream to follow too tho

i can do both, and you don't even need to pay me!

to your money thing, most people going into a music major know they're going to make very little money, and as a result it's simply a matter of looking at what provides the most stable living and the most satisfying music experience, even if that lifestyle is less than luxurious. i could honestly live in a box, and as long as i have music during my day i'd really be pretty okay with that (of course people have argued that i should probably actually take care of myself (whoops!))

but idunno. you're super mad about something and i'm trying to figure out what. c:

Edited by evan
  • Like 2

lol people still fall for zeitzbait

They fall as hard as when they fall out of the list of people that have potential worth enough to be hired.

The "You're not allowed to dream unless you have money" is a cold hard fact. The world doesn't run on your inner positive garden of roses energy. Have fun pursuing your dream but making a sob journal every month and asking why you're not as popular is why I am forever laughing.

Edited by Zeitzbach

I guess I have to spell it out for you since your brain's been riddled from so much shitposting.

Since you were silent to my question of whether or not you could hang for a year, the obvious unstated answer is 'no.' Therefore, you're just as useless as your roommate.

Actually, more so, because you seem to not understand the concept of effort for self improvement. At least your roommate does.

Now whether or not your roommate has common fucking sense with regards to playing constantly within earshot is another issue in its entirety.

You're asked a very dumb question to a person who can study in the STEM field while learning art on his own in the first place. This applies to everything. Studying, coding, drawing, music. If you can't improve because you don't dedicate at least 15-20 hours a week to practice, your dream is as good as dead.

You dream about making a living from drawing while doing nothing but producing 1 random chibi ass picture every 5 days? Give up unless you do something about that crappy pace.

You dream about becoming a musician but can't even play an actual song after 4 months? You're probably not serious about your dream as a musician in the first place it seems or it just isn't meant to be.

Welcome to reality. No one gives a ratass about E for effort and self-improvement. Everything has a deadline waiting to be crossed. Dreams are no exception. Writing "Although I failed, I tried my best for 3 months" won't earn you a star on the resume.

And don't count actual learning in years. Count it in hours. It's the same thing as people with a job telling you to count your pay in meal instead of in currency. Stop confusing others with this kind of beginner perspective.

Edited by Zeitzbach
  • Like 1

You're asked a very dumb question to a person who can study in the STEM field while learning art on his own in the first place. This applies to everything. Studying, coding, drawing, music. If you can't improve because you don't dedicate at least 15-20 hours a week to practice, your dream is as good as dead.

You dream about making a living from drawing while doing nothing but producing 1 random chibi ass picture every 5 days? Give up unless you do something about that crappy pace.

You dream about becoming a musician but can't even play an actual song after 4 months? You're probably not serious about your dream as a musician in the first place it seems or it just isn't meant to be.

Welcome to reality. No one gives a ratass about E for effort and self-improvement. Everything has a deadline waiting to be crossed. Dreams are no exception. Writing "Although I failed, I tried my best for 3 months" won't earn you a star on the resume.

And don't count actual learning in years. Count it in hours. It's the same thing as people with a job telling you to count your pay in meal instead of in currency. Stop confusing others with this kind of beginner perspective.

should i just go? i feel my current on demand experience isnt relevant to this tangent.

actually funnily enough i dont disagree with you. i just think youre basing your argument on variables that dont really matter in a music profession, but then again i think im supposed to be rolling with the idea that this is shitposting, so i dont know.

if i wanted to i could learn some songs in as little as ten minutes. doesnt prove much.

should i just go? i feel my current on demand experience isnt relevant to this tangent.

actually funnily enough i dont disagree with you. i just think youre basing your argument on variables that dont really matter in a music profession, but then again i think im supposed to be rolling with the idea that this is shitposting, so i dont know.

if i wanted to i could learn some songs in as little as ten minutes. doesnt prove much.

Whole thing wasn't about major to begin with. The thread is supposed to be about musician buddy that suck after a whole year that loves to practice within earshot. It's just that the art majors decided they must take some stance on this and it turned into "You're bashing my major. UNACCEPTABLE!". I just play along because I know they never had any ground to stand on to begin with.

And people will label me as a shitposter anyway because I always use harsh reality instead of rose garden when forming an opinion.

Despite the tone, I do agree with you. People need to practice and throw themselves at their artistic endeavors instead of standing back and dreaming. All of my "writer" friends hardly ever write. They're always thinking about that next big novel that'll make millions, and now and then they even start it, but they never finish it. They never practice. They just dream.

That musician friend I mentioned up top? He tries to put out some kind of song once a week. It's usually just him playing and having a good time, but he's talented enough to make that an enjoyable experience. He's also got a bunch of finished music to show for his efforts. He gives a shit.

So in some respects, I mean, at least your musician buddy IS practicing. That's certainly better than most wannabe rockstars :P

• Like 1

So don't try unless your guaranteed to succeed? Everything must be a bullet point on a resume? PIease! I can't count thenumber of times something I tried and gave up on gave the experience I needed to later succeed at something else. For example: if I hadn't tried, and failed, at being a multiplayer level designer then I wouldn't have had the basic mindset that fed my success in my first programming class. Even today the concepts and lessons I learned in that failure reverberate through my life. If I didn't learn about BPS trees from that game engine, I would be lost on the K-D trees I use with 3D today.

Your not dishing out harsh reality, your pretentiously pushing a small-minded worldview.

Edited by DrGravitas
Fixing bold of mobile

"Writing "Although I failed, I tried my best for 3 months" won't earn you a star on the resume."

Yea, go say that to a bunch of CEOs whom have ruined companies and left with a golden parachute, only to get hired by a Fortune 500 company.

"If you can't improve because you don't dedicate at least 15-20 hours a week to practice, your dream is as good as dead. "

Wrong! Some people can't improve in spite of countless hours of practice, because the tools and education being given to them are the equivalent of Linux MAN pages - missing tons of critical information, poorly-worded and/or documented, failing to explain hows and whys, broken from the get-go, etc.

"You dream about becoming a musician but can't even play an actual song after 4 months? You're probably not serious about your dream as a musician in the first place it seems or it just isn't meant to be."

You very obviously don't play an instrument which requires a great degree of coordination and muscle memory and hemispherical separation, as you are yet again wrong.

In fact, most places that teach guitar don't even teach you songs until your second or third year. Any that do are skipping over important theory, fingerings, positioning, picking techniques, modality, fingering techniques, scales and scale progressions, harmonics, arpeggios, chords, transpositions, rhythm, lead, improvisation, genres, etc. You might learn how to play a song during a demonstration of those techniques and concepts, but ultimately, you aren't gong to learn direct songs until you've been given a thorough run-down of the base concepts and theory.

"Welcome to reality. No one gives a ratass about E for effort and self-improvement."

Wrong again. In fact, in many fields, you're REQUIRED to continue to improve yourself, or you risk your license or degree. ESPECIALLY SO IN STEM FIELDS (like medicine, and HEAVILY in Academia.)

It's a wonder you can even be competent in a STEM field when you're so wrong.

You know what matters more than writing I tried on resume to get hired? Connection, which isn't part of what we're discussing. Connection is the tool to cheat in life even if you fail.

Instruments aren't that insanely hard. My time in Murica showed me that they don't really have a class to teach people in middle and highschool to play instruments. Thai school forces you to play new traditional THai instrument every year ranging from blowing to string and drumming from grade 1 to 12. Because of that, it is possible to pick up and learn a new instrument. I once tried to learn Violin but gave up because I didn't want to lose my time on drawing but a few day of learning was enough to get me used to the muscle memory and already began trying to cover song I like. If you can't learn shits after a few months, you just have to admit you suck at it or is learning at a turtle pace.

Who needs to be taught to play guitar? We have the internet. Use it. Teachers are a bonus now. They may make learning faster but in the modern day, anyone can learn and improve fast if they practice a lot instead of playing games all day.

And even if they require you to continuously improve yourself, you must also SUCCEED and constantly pump out something for them to trust you. No one cares if you think you are improving if you fail 75% of the time. THat's not consistent. Your success will be labeled as luck.

Try being more than a generic "Must get A no matter what" STEM student and hang out with wise people who will teach you the way of life and how he succeed instead.

So in some respects, I mean, at least your musician buddy IS practicing. That's certainly better than most wannabe rockstars :P

If only he will practice somewhere outside instead of next to me.

So don't try unless your guaranteed to succeed? Everything must be a bullet point on a resume? PIease! I can't count thenumber of times something I tried and gave up on gave the experience I needed to later succeed at something else. For example: if I hadn't tried, and failed, at being a multiplayer level designer then I wouldn't have had the basic mindset that fed my success in my first programming class. Even today the concepts and lessons I learned in that failure reverberate through my life. If I didn't learn about BPS trees from that game engine, I would be lost on the K-D trees I use with 3D today.

Your not dishing out harsh reality, your pretentiously pushing a short-sighted worldview.

Nice cut for context simply because you felt it tickled you.

No one talked about not trying unless you will succeed. It's about no one other than yourself giving a damn about failures.

To ourselves, failures are lessons. This is true. However, to others, failures are still failures. If you continuosly fail and don't improve, it's saying something.

Edited by Zeitzbach