Do furries have crappy lives?

#00Buck

8 hours ago, #00Buck said:

I don't know of any other forums that get people threatening suicide once every four weeks. 

Around here you can practically set you watch by it.

how many social forums do you go on as much as you do this one? and how many of them are as unfocused as this one in terms of why people are there. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

how many social forums do you go on as much as you do this one? and how many of them are as unfocused as this one in terms of why people are there. 

All of them and none of them get the level of suicide threats this one does.  

I'm sure if there was a suicide forum it would have more suicide threats. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Once every 4 weeks? More like every week.

It sure seems like it doesn't it. 

Just now, #00Buck said:

All of them and none of them get the level of suicide threats this one does.  

I'm sure if there was a suicide forum it would have more suicide threats. 

I don't think you know what I mean by saying other social forums do you.

Cause they're is no physical way for you to be on all of them as much as you are on this one simply because there are so many out there. Also whether it's suicide threats or not there's bound to be drama on any social forum furry or not.

1 minute ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

I don't think you know what I mean by saying other social forums do you.

Cause they're is no physical way for you to be on all of them as much as you are on this one simply because there are so many out there. Also whether it's suicide threats or not there's bound to be drama on any social forum furry or not.

I've never seen a suicide threat on any other kind of forum ever. 

I'm on lots of forums. This place is special. 

I don't think it's a generational issue. Some of my acquaintances are in their late 30's and they still can't get their shit together. The only difference is they don't have a "parent's basement" to love in any more. And I agree, furries come from all walk of life, and, despite the loosers and always broke stereotype, plenty of them are successful. We just generally don't hear about them.

So my theory is that maybe it's just this forum.

Oh, my life has been crappy alright.

But I'm fixing it. I mean most've had a rough time, right? I'm just glad I'm able to breathe and make progress at this time. We all have a different background. Some will go through the horrifying experience of once breaking a nail, while others will have it being a routine to get their everyday-beatup from their fathers.

But I think what you make of it makes you. Be it a long line of mistakes or achievement after achievement. You may not have the resources to pull something off, but you have something else called free will, and with that and enough willpower I think you can get the resources needed. It may seem like a lot needs to be done, but if you don't do it, it never will be.

Step by step, you are what ultimately makes yourself.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Luka said:

Fishy , fishy, you're always watching, aren't you?

In your time here, you've always been somewhat diligent about keeping specific tabs on quite a number of things users post here... is it entertaining?

You want to know what my secret notebook says about you don't you?

Edited by #00Buck

I think the squeaky wheel gets the grease in general, and I tend to think that both young people and geeks are often more vocal about their life problems than others often are. 

I remember coming across an interesting study of geeks recently. One of the many things the researchers found was that greater engagement with geek culture appeared to be correlated with greater levels of grandiose narcissism.

My personal theory is that the more likely you are to place yourself at the center of some imagined world, the more prone you may be to drama, histrionics, and taking stuff personally.

Edited by Troj

And there you go, we now have a definitive answer to "do furries have crappy lives?": https://phoenix.corvidae.org/topic/1946-sorry-i-needed-to-get-this-out/

A post that takes the opposite position of the usual I'm suicidal, I cut myself, I am depressed, I have problems at school, I have issues with drugs, I am broke, I am stuck living with my family, and I have abusive parents...

Just comes out sounding weird, gets people offended or jealous, and makes people turn against you and try to bring you down. So, people with normal happy lives just don't post that stuff, for all the above reasons, and the only posts we do see are exclusively from those with problems.

Thank you for participating those of you who have contributed to the other thread.

Edited by Rassah

3 minutes ago, Rassah said:

And there you go, we now have a definitive answer to "do furries have crappy lives?": https://phoenix.corvidae.org/topic/1946-sorry-i-needed-to-get-this-out/

A post that takes the opposite position of the usual I'm suicidal, I cut myself, I am depressed, I have problems at school, I have issues with drugs, I am broke, I am stuck living with my family, and I have abusive parents...

Just comes out sounding weird, gets people offended or jealous, and makes people turn against you and try to bring you down. So, people with normal happy lives just don't post that stuff, for all the above reasons, and the only posts we do see are exclusively from those with problems.

Thank you for participating those of you who have contributed to the other thread.

You know, there are people here who do have happy lives and post about it but don't sound anywhere near as smug, pathetic and dickish as you. There was no point to that thread other than to be a total douche and belittle people who have tough lives. You're the furry with a crap life to stoop so fucking low. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rassah said:

Rassah, you specifically choose language designed to shit on anyone on the forum who's ever posted about having a bad day.  That is why you garnered a negative reaction.  That is why the reaction was unlike all the other positive threads that have ever been posted here.

1 hour ago, Rassah said:

Quit shitting up my thread by trying to pimp your lame ass thread up in here. 

Which by the way is now fully devoted to cute animal and giant spider photos. 

My thread will ride eternal shiny and chrome. 

In a matter of days this thread has become one of the most viewed and replied to in the history of the forum.

Troll-tastic shitposting forum fish supreme has got it on lock. 

Quit trying to ride on my coat tails and get off my dick. 

2 hours ago, DevilishlyHandsome49 said:

You know, there are people here who do have happy lives and post about it but don't sound anywhere near as smug, pathetic and dickish as you.

Well, yeah. But what's the fun in that? Not that it would have made that much of a difference if it wasn't straight up dickish. People here shit on others posting about happy lives too. Did I skew the results? Sure. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? Kittens!

I'm pretty confident that if someone were to post a thread about something genuinely positive, most people would be supportive. (And a few would threadshit, per the usual.)

That thread would also get fewer comments and views than a thread built around some rant or meltdown, for the same reason the evening news is mostly murders, terrorist attacks, and plane crashes.

Of course, wallowing in smugness and schadenfreude isn't the same thing as being happy or having good news.

Edited by Troj
  • Like 1

I don't have a crappy life at all. No college debt, in grad school for a PhD, though I do feel lonely at times being a straight guy in the sausage fest that is engineering grad school.

I think "successful furries" don't talk about their lives...or maybe they left the fandom, lol.

Edited by Calemeyr
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Calemeyr said:

I don't have a crappy life at all. No college debt, in grad school for a PhD, though I do feel lonely at times being a straight guy in the sausage fest that is engineering grad school.

I think "successful furries" don't talk about their lives...or maybe they left the fandom, lol.

You can take the boy out of the furry fandom, but you can't take the furry out of the boy. Mostly because it's stuck up his butt. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Troj said:

I'm pretty confident that if someone were to post a thread about something genuinely positive, most people would be supportive. (And a few would threadshit, per the usual.)

That thread would also get fewer comments and views than a thread built around some rant or meltdown, for the same reason the evening news is mostly murders, terrorist attacks, and plane crashes.

Of course, wallowing in smugness and schadenfreude isn't the same thing as being happy or having good news.

• Like 2

On 2016-01-09 at 7:39 PM, #00Buck said:

I've never seen a suicide threat on any other kind of forum ever. 

I'm on lots of forums. This place is special. 

Something Awful, but they have a few hundred thousand users.

today in my crappy life i ate an entire tin of onion dip, watched a final fantasy lets play, and did laundry for werk tomorrow

I had an infuriating day this week, but I didn't post about it here. (I almost wanted to, though, but I called my parents instead.)

So, maybe lots of people have drama in their lives, but furries just tend to air their dirty laundry more. (But Facebook will show you that furries are hardly alone in this.)

17 hours ago, Troj said:

I had an infuriating day this week, but I didn't post about it here. (I almost wanted to, though, but I called my parents instead.)

So, maybe lots of people have drama in their lives, but furries just tend to air their dirty laundry more. (But Facebook will show you that furries are hardly alone in this.)

Most people I know on Facebook only post good things. 

Also never seen a suicide threat on Facebook either. 

Interesting!

I have some FB contacts who seem to post only good things, some who post mostly complaints and laments, and many who post EVERYTHING, good and bad.

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least three contacts who've threatened suicide on FB, that I recall.

Of the main social circles I belong to on FB, I actually think the general disability social circle is the most drama-filled, followed by we-know-who.

With a few notable individual exceptions, my Satanist friends seem to possess the lowest "drama quotient" overall.

Both my old classmates and my current classmates are pretty much split between people who are always depressed or angry, people who are perpetually cheerful, and people who post all of their moods without reservations. 

Edited by Troj

I know a handful of furry's/have a few close furry friends, and they all seem to have pretty happy lives. Myself included. Most of the people I follow on FA have decent lives and are pretty happy. Even the furry's I folllow on tumblr (hah, yeah) are well off. This seems to be the only place (along with the old FAF) that furries seem to like to let off steam. Though having a bad day doesn't mean you have a shitty life, I just think people are more likely to let something off their chest here than other places.

On January 12, 2016 at 9:07 PM, jcstinks said:

I run support groups for people with autism and mental health issues, and furries are commonplace. I don't know if it's correlation or causation, but dang if it isn't a foxauge fest in there.

I should do an autism poll. 

That should make everyone on the forum upset. 

I can just imagine them posting in outrage...

As they type while rocking back and forth, twitching their fingers, making "yip yip" sounds and spinning plates. 

2 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

As they type while rocking back and forth, twitching their fingers, making "yip yip" sounds and spinning plates. 

An autism poll on a furry forum sounds like the most redundant thing on the planet.

17 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

I would like to see furries spinning plates. And maybe some limbo.