Officially Livid

Sidewalk Surfboard

Fuck you, Skype. FUCK. YOU. Fuck the fact that you literally REQUIRE Internet Explorer to fucking work properly. Nobody fucking wants internet explorer on their computer. NOBODY. I uninstalled my copy. But no, fucking SKYPE requires it in order to log in. I am livid. I uninstalled Internet Explorer and now I can't even fucking reinstall it because it claims I have the latest copy. I have no choice but to factory reset my fucking computer in order to get Skype and Internet Explorer functioning properly again.

tumblr_mwccysjCbF1qhelj9o1_250.gif

8 minutes ago, Vae said:

If it's saying you still have IE installed, it may either be a registry issue or some files still lingering about.

Try running CC cleaner before you reset your entire system.

Ultimately I think it's about time to factory reset regardless. I've got a lot of junk files everywhere that would take way too much time to find and delete, and I think it'll speed up my system a bit. It's just that Skype's shitty slut relationship with Internet Explorer is a good excuse to do so.

Just now, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Ultimately I think it's about time to factory reset regardless. I've got a lot of junk files everywhere that would take way too much time to find and delete, and I think it'll speed up my system a bit. It's just that Skype's shitty slut relationship with Internet Explorer is a good excuse to do so.

Wish I could help. But yeah, fuck IE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Fuck you, Skype. FUCK. YOU. Fuck the fact that you literally REQUIRE Internet Explorer to fucking work properly. Nobody fucking wants internet explorer on their computer. NOBODY. I uninstalled my copy. But no, fucking SKYPE requires it in order to log in. I am livid. I uninstalled Internet Explorer and now I can't even fucking reinstall it because it claims I have the latest copy. I have no choice but to factory reset my fucking computer in order to get Skype and Internet Explorer functioning properly again.

My skype stopped working a while ago. I use the web plugin instead now, at skype.en 

59 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

You know, instead of just resetting my laptop, I think now is a good a time as ever to upgrade to windows 10. Might as well get it while it's still free.

I don't like windows 10 :C I want to keep 7. 

Edited by Saxon
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Saxon said:

My skype stopped working a while ago. I use the web plugin instead now, at skype.en 

I don't like windows 10 :C I want to keep 7. 

When support for 7 is completely over I'm moving totally to Linux. Windows is nothing but pure butt fuck 

• Like 3

YEAH FUCK SKYPE...seriously though skype has so many fucking bugs right now its unbelievable, like the weird messaging where your message is put before the person that you replied to for whatever reason, slow downs and crashes arent in short supply its all around in a really shitty state right now and it has been pissing me off ALL day

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kazooie said:

once you turn off all the built-in data mining options

Yeah, no fucking thanks. I hope you're aware that you can't actually turn off all of those options. I spent a week digging through win10 and I found nothing that I liked. It didn't even look good. The only reason I run 7 is for super niche software that I need for class. All windows installs for me after this year will be VM instances. 

Why not factory reset your computer and play with Linux, like Ubuntu? Or install it on USB and boot to it to see how it feels? No IE for Linux.

Btw, we use Skype daily for our software dev collaboration and almost daily planning calls, but haven't ran into problems yet. Hope we won't...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rassah said:

Why not factory reset your computer and play with Linux, like Ubuntu? Or install it on USB and boot to it to see how it feels? No IE for Linux.

Btw, we use Skype daily for our software dev collaboration and almost daily planning calls, but haven't ran into problems yet. Hope we won't...

if you going to suggest fagbuntu to anyone at least suggest one of the good off shots like mint or regular xbuntu. 

• Like 5

Why would you try to learn a whole new OS just to get Skype running again?

Brb guys I'm outta paint.
So in addition to having to go and buy new paint, I'm also going to go and learn how to make my own canvas material before I do that for some reason?
Even though I already have canvas right here.
Man, my sense of time management in relation to solving my problems sure is stellar.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

I like this post.

It's a rant about an actual real world practical issue.

8 hours ago, kazooie said:

they probably use IE for the ad frames

Exactly this. A lot of Windows programs will use IE to display web content because it's easy. If you break the IE install then you're hoping that all these programs both have fallback solutions and sufficient error handling.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vae said:

So in addition to having to go and buy new paint, I'm also going to go and learn how to make my own canvas material before I do that for some reason?
Man, my sense of time management in relation to solving my problems sure is stellar.

Never trust a shit poster to help solve any of your problems 

6 hours ago, Rassah said:

39 minutes ago, Onnes said:

Exactly this. A lot of Windows programs will use IE to display web content because it's easy. If you break the IE install then you're hoping that all these programs both have fallback solutions and sufficient error handling.

wow, quoting is really broken on this forum

i believe steam used IE frames on the Windows install for a while

luckily there's pretty much no reason to ever uninstall the program, so...

Edited by kazooie

@kazooie Try Ctrl+RClick on the quote box. It may give you a menu to remove it. Definitely takes some getting used to, and there's some demented cache/storage issue too.

A ton of online game launchers still use IE to display news and updates. You can really tell when the server goes down and you get an IE error page.

switching to ubuntu (or the ones brass suggested that are probably better and I have to check out now) isn't that big a deal. it's designed with desktop users in mind and I found the switch from windows relatively painless. A lot of popular games still run on linux and there are art programs to replace photoshop (GIMP, Krita, probably others...)

i dont know shit about skype tho

9 minutes ago, Pignog said:

switching to ubuntu (or the ones brass suggested that are probably better and I have to check out now) isn't that big a deal. it's designed with desktop users in mind and I found the switch from windows relatively painless. A lot of popular games still run on linux and there are art programs to replace photoshop (GIMP, Krita, probably others...)

i dont know shit about skype tho

Web skype exist and has (improving) call support for linux and windows. You can also adblock the fuck out of it and delete IE. 

37 minutes ago, Rassah said:

I actually switched when Windows 8 preview came out. "That's what I have to look forward to? Heyl no..."

I already did all of my coding in vim/vm so I saw no problem in it. I didn't start using windows again until 8.1 came out-- saw that it was shit, and installed win7 professional from dreamspark. How do people use this shit. I can't change anything to fit my needs. Powershell is all verbose and bullshit. C# looks to be just another java clone.

Edited by Brass

Just now, kazooie said:

C# is Java with better designed polymorphism, superior type support, and tastier syntactic sugars (properties are delicious)

You can sugarcoat a turd as much as you want. I never want to see another line of anything php, or java-like. 

6 minutes ago, Brass said:

You can sugarcoat a turd as much as you want. I never want to see another line of anything php, or java-like. 

uhhh, I think you might be confusing Java with javascript

the object-oriented design philosophy that is the cornerstone of Java/C#'s design is pretty much standard in all modern code design

Edited by kazooie
they're two different languages!!!

4 minutes ago, kazooie said:

uhhh, I think you might be confusing Java with javascript

the object-oriented design philosophy that is the cornerstone of Java/C#'s design is pretty much standard is all modern code design.

that said, C# has also implemented a bunch of functional style support, as of 4.0, I believe

I'm not confusing java with javascript. No one actually makes that confusion. I mean they're hardly even related in name. I'm an OOP purist, so the only thing that even reasonably meets my expectations is Ruby and I guess smalltalk (but does anyone even use smalltalk?). 

Edited by Brass

3 minutes ago, Brass said:

I'm not confusing java with javascript. No one actually makes that confusion.

everyone does

that's why the creator of javascript called it "javascript" in the first place

considering javascript is actual garbage, while Java and C# are both perfectly readable and widely adopted languages, I'm going to go ahead and assume that you actually meant javascript

Edited by kazooie
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kazooie said:

Java and C# are both perfectly readable and widely adopted languages

No. No one who has ever written a line of code has actually made that mistake. I mean it's almost as trashy as jscript but they're not even remotely related. And just because something is widely adopted that doesn't make it good. It's just functionally a cancer. This is coming from someone who willing used Java for three years. 

Edited by Brass

8 minutes ago, Rassah said:

We've been using Java for our software, since we're doing Android, but are now trying to switch to Kotlin. Any opinions on that?

Real talk: My opinion doesn't matter. A programming lang is a tool and you wouldn't hammer a screw. Communicate with your Dev Team. If it has good support for the platform, your dev team is comfortable with it, and it can do the same job as Java (or better) then by all means. I don't know your specific goals and needs so I can't rightly consult you without trying to jam a tesseract into a clinderalic hole.  

13 hours ago, Vae said:

The skype thing might be another reason to do it.