Super Lesbian Animal RPG

TrishaCat

So Tumblr, furries, Earthbound fans, My Little Pony fans, and everything in between got together one night at a party. They got drunk, and they fooled around for a bit. Nobody used protection, and someone got pregnant. That child soon to be born is this game.

Super Lesbian Animal RPG. 

Originally starting out as a shipping oriented My Little Pony fangame, the developer eventually decided to replace some of the characters and assets so as to not upset Hasbro. Its supposed to be an Earthbound-like RPG, at least in how combat works and how silly some of the dialogue is, however otherwise it appears to be made in RPGMaker, but with mostly if not completely original assets. I'll post examples of these assets after making the thread, since I feel it'll just blot out this post.

Anyways, for more information, to quote the developer:

That’s right! Instead of letting SLHRPG’s status as a fangame that Hasbro doesn’t approve of force it into obscurity forever, I’m doing what I always said I would do: replacing all the copyrighted characters with original ones, giving me more creative freedom both on this game and with potential future projects involving these characters. And while I’m at it, I’m expanding and improving upon every aspect of the game. A refined story, improved graphics, a bit more player choice, new areas to explore, the works

And these are the game’s new main protagonists:

• Melody is a kindhearted trans fox who lives out in the woods. She recently became a paladin so that she could keep her girlfriend healed while out on dangerous adventures, but she’s worried that her anxieties will keep her from being as helpful as she’d like. She’s just gotta try and stay positive. Melody’s doing her best, okay?
  • Allison is an adventurous and strong rabbit who’s dating Melody. She just wants to fight monsters and hang out with her girlfriend. She can be a little overbearing, and people say she loves the sound of her own voice, but she’s always reliable when it counts. She also depends on Melody a lot more than she’d like to admit
  • Claire is a trans cow and the leader of the bunch. She has extensive knowledge of witchcraft–possibly too much for her own good. In spite of her sometimes intimidating know-it-all persona, she’s trying to prove she’s a good friend. Unfortunately, building dangerous, monster-filled dungeons to test her friends’ skills doesn’t really help her case

The game will be releasing sometime in 2016, and until then I’ll post regular updates on my blog in the #SLARPG tag

Anyways, while it sounds strange in idea, I'm actually really impressed with the pixelart in this game. At the very least, the game's assets have a lot of detail and effort put into them. The dialogue also based on the speech bubble in that one screenshot makes me think that it might be kind of cute too! As such, I'm...well, excited.

What do you guys think? Does it look good to you?

Dev blog for those who are interested

Screenshots:

Jb3fFeB.png

tumblr_nzs5uxxDGO1qi3fato3_r1_1280.png

1454001786807.png

(the last one is an example of a battle background)

Edited by Battlechili

I can't really say if I'm interested or not the game looks good but is clearly just an artist rendition and may not look as crisp plus the fucking character descriptions make think this game is marketed towards tumbletards 

I like how they used "is a kind hearted trans fox/cow" instead of is a fox/cow and chose to emphasize how special snowflakes these are. Don't mention it and it could be whatever the fuck people want it to be. I know I wanted to be a plantkin trans wolfafoxbuttress, is that too much to be asked?

This is just gonna be tumbr the vidyagaym and I think I'll skip it.

• Like 1

I like the art style (it kind of reminds me of a GBA Harvest Moon game) and feel that this has the potential to be a pretty good game, but what really irks me about how people go about adding queer characters to games is that I feel it's done solely for the sake of pleasing a certain audience and to get them to play it. not because the developer wants to or feels it's necessary. when I see it being introduced like this, it makes me feel think the game itself isn't going to be that  good or that these characters are only going to be nothing more than their queerness. especially when you introduce the characters before the story. 

like one of the cool things about Undertale that I really liked was that they showed you the characters were queer rather than flat out told you. Steven Universe did the same thing and it was awesome. unfortunately after all of those reveals, the fandoms latched onto those tropes and reduced them to Queer Character #500, but that's a different rant

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

I like how they used "is a kind hearted trans fox/cow" instead of is a fox/cow and chose to emphasize how special snowflakes these are. Don't mention it and it could be whatever the fuck people want it to be.

That's not really true.  If you don't in some way demonstrate that a character is LGBT or some other unusual life choice people are going to assume its the cultural default which in western society is going to be straight and cis gendered.  By deliberately including LGBT characters you help to demonstrate to society that these are regular people.  It also helps to normalize the phenomena and remove some of the cultural stigma that surrounds them. 

However I want to make a point to say that I agree with Willow here.  Its always going to be better to show rather then tell.  The way this feature is simply pushed into the bio in the first line without any context to surround it really just gives the feeling that the creator is just trying to hammer these concepts into place rather then allowing them to grow organically from the characters as the story unfolds.

12 minutes ago, Derin Darkpaw said:

That's not really true.  If you don't in some way demonstrate that a character is LGBT or some other unusual life choice people are going to assume its the cultural default which in western society is going to be straight and cis gendered.  By deliberately including LGBT characters you help to demonstrate to society that these are regular people.  It also helps to normalize the phenomena and remove some of the cultural stigma that surrounds them. 

However I want to make a point to say that I agree with Willow here.  Its always going to be better to show rather then tell.  The way this feature is simply pushed into the bio in the first line without any context to surround it really just gives the feeling that the creator is just trying to hammer these concepts into place rather then allowing them to grow organically from the characters as the story unfolds.

This is an assumption as well. In the end it's actually a poor choice to make them be a minority, a fact game devs very well know and get a lot of bad rap for it even though I think it makes perfect sense. By making the player character ambiguous you allow your own self to take over since generally you do get immersed in it and feel as if you were the character to a degree. But if you want to make a specialized plot that's all fine by me, and I agree that it's better to show than tell...although given it's furries I'd rather they tell it :V

Jokes aside it's simple marketing and lets be honest here, not that many people can relate to a transfox or trans anything in general, and making these characters appearance flamboyant and stereotypical (pink trans character with a wardrobe full of heart clothing? Really?) is counterproductive if you want to drive the agenda closer to mainstream.

Edited by Sarcastic Coffeecup
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

This is an assumption as well. In the end it's actually a poor choice to make them be a minority, a fact game devs very well know and get a lot of bad rap for it even though I think it makes perfect sense. By making the player character ambiguous you allow your own self to take over since generally you do get immersed in it and feel as if you were the character to a degree. But if you want to make a specialized plot that's all fine by me, and I agree that it's better to show than tell...although given it's furries I'd rather they tell it :V

Jokes aside it's simple marketing and lets be honest here, not that many people can relate to a transfox or trans anything in general, and making these characters appearance flamboyant and stereotypical (pink trans character with a wardrobe full of heart clothing? Really?) is counterproductive if you want to drive the agenda closer to mainstream.

I feel like we mostly agree here but we differ slightly in opinion on a few subjects related to this topic.

First I off I don't think it is necessary to have a character that the player can relate to or project themselves onto.  I feel that games can be used to allow a person to step into the shoes of a point of life different from what they normally experience.  By allowing the player to see things from a perspective different from their own they can gain insight into the life experiences of others.

Secondly to claim that this is marketing feels disingenuous to me.  If it was simply a matter of marketing then it would make more sense to just market to the masses.  This is why most media in the U.S. has straight white male characters as its leads.  Most media, again in the U.S., do not deal with topics such as LGBT characters or when they do the characters are frequently displayed either as a joke or as some how wrong.  If marketing was the primary motivation for the creation of the characters in this game then the creator would have much better success making the main character male with a female love interest.

Do I feel like this is going to be a good game that will tackle this issues in a respectful and thought provoking manner?  I am not sure.  Its too early to really tell, but my initial opinion from what we have seen is that the game will probably be disappointing on several levels.

• Like 1

Since I guess we're talking about this, if you want to "further LGBT rights" or something by having trans/gay/whatever characters in it just do what Undertale did. Just have legitimately good characters you actually give a shit about who just so happen to be total queers.

I mean, most trans people don't run around screaming "HEY DID YOU KNOW I HAVE A COCK" so I dunno why people feel like trans characters need to. Of course this is the same place that brought us the godawful "Gen Zed" so I dunno why I'm treating it like it's an actual thing.

25 minutes ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

I'm more interested in the pony-fighting game that also had to get changed because hasbro.

But that's like...an actual video game. I don't see any trans llamas you fuckin' shittlord.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, WALFTEAM said:

They really need a better title, otherwise people will just mistake the game for some kind of satire.

Dunno... least this way people know exactly what they're getting

I've played the MLP version. It's pretty good. Don't see any reason to get the furry version now tho. The writing was like, surprisingly good, for an RPGmaker pony game. Have no idea how they're going to make it original and still good - a lot of the pony game involved exaggerated character traits from the show, so I don't think that will necessarily translate well to OCs. 

Which is also a weird thing to critique probably because I haven't been in the pony fandom for like uuuhhhhhhh 3 years? Jesus how has it been around so long. The original game also had the benefit of a lot of tongue-in-cheek RPG meta jokes that I think might be muddled in an OC focused game. Anyways it's some weird little RPGmaker game that turned out weirdly good but there's no point in remaking it now.