I want to write a children's book about a gay

jcstinks

Not something like, "Heather Has Two Mommies," where you're learning that gay people exist. Children already know that there are gay people. They don't need to be told that any more!

Something like, "Grandpa's Gay and You Might Be Gay Too!" Something that opens the possibility to the reader that he might actually be a gay, rather than establishing gayness as something that exists on some other plane.

Animal children come into a kindergarten class for career day and a mouse wants to be the first lesbian astronaut who gets married on the moon and eat moon cheese with her lovely lady friend. And then all her little mouse friends decide they want to be gay astronauts, too.

• Like 3

Your silly hypothetical shows that one becomes gay to be cool, because who is even straight anymore? Moral of the story kids lets all choose to be gay

Anyways youre missing the real hard-hitting best seller that @Kazooie read for us, "The cow who milked itself". Now all we need is an artist and we have ourselves a childhood classic

Honestly, it sounds like a bad idea. How young are we talking, here? And the whole "you might be gay too" and "I want to be gay!" statements are...very inappropriate things to have in a children's book. 

Edited by Ieono

4 minutes ago, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Well if we're serious about it.. it would be beneficial for children to be exposed to gay, it could lower down the number of homophobes

I don't think that's really an issue necessarily. Kids nowadays are exposed to a disproportionately large amount of faggotry, and the only places it's not are like in Mississippi which has been a racist shithole for literally over 200 years. Without the parents (and by extension society) ramming their beliefs down their kids throats, they'd probably not really care nevermind hate gay people.

12 hours ago, Ieono said:

Honestly, it sounds like a bad idea. How young are we talking, here? And the whole "you might be gay too" and "I want to be gay!" statements are...very inappropriate things to have in a children's book. 

Any worse than "you might be a straight?" I didn't know love was so inappropriate.

• Like 1

Ya know, that's where the money is at - kids books. Forget about Sci-Fi and Novels, the money is kids books. Kids seem to be particularly rough on books, making book purchase in their reader demographic kind of high, compared to other genres.

However, don't limit your reader base by making 'gay' the major focus of the book. Keep in mind it's the parents that buy the books. If you write a book that has two femmes or males that hang out together, that's one thing. Just about all parents would buy that, especially if it has good cover art. If it strictly a gay manifesto, only gay parents are going to buy it, seriously limiting your reader base.

Just my $0.02 USD worth. YMMV. Only one coupon to a customer. Void where prohibited.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kellan Meig'h said:

Ya know, that's where the money is at - kids books. Forget about Sci-Fi and Novels, the money is kids books. Kids seem to be particularly rough on books, making book purchase in their reader demographic kind of high, compared to other genres.

However, don't limit your reader base by making 'gay' the major focus of the book. Keep in mind it's the parents that buy the books. If you write a book that has two femmes or males that hang out together, that's one thing. Just about all parents would buy that, especially if it has good cover art. If it strictly a gay manifesto, only gay parents are going to buy it, seriously limiting your reader base.

Just my $0.02 USD worth. YMMV. Only one coupon to a customer. Void where prohibited.

I will be the first to tap into the ambiguously gay children market.

• Like 1

How about just letting kids be kids, and leaving the sexuality stuff for when they're older? If you want to include gay adult characters, that's cool and all, but something rubs me the wrong way about portraying child characters as gay, straight, or whatever.

On 2/21/2016 at 10:30 AM, Mikazuki Marazhu said:

Well if we're serious about it.. it would be beneficial for children to be exposed to gay, it could lower down the number of homophobes

if people want to sincerely put in an effort to reduce homophobia, then they have to start treating it like something normal that doesn't make a big impact on everyone around it.  have characters who just happen to be gay without drawing extra attention to it.  don't rock the boat.  just take a damn seat in it and go fishing like everybody else.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2016 at 2:25 PM, Gator said:

if people want to sincerely put in an effort to reduce homophobia, then they have to start treating it like something normal that doesn't make a big impact on everyone around it.  have characters who just happen to be gay without drawing extra attention to it.  don't rock the boat.  just take a damn seat in it and go fishing like everybody else.

You can't go fishing with gay people! The minute you mention putting worms on hooks they just start staring at your crotch like a dog staring at a treat on the other side of a window. 

• Like 1