If the tech worked well it can be nice.
But then would be creepy knowing a Basement dwelling babyfur is talking to me with a cute avatar

I have the same concern with anyone on the forums sometimes. Someone potentialy living in a basement of there mom hidden behind a cute profile photo...

If it actually works as advertised, I'd buy it.

Its effectiveness depends on a few things. Your camera, the lighting in your room (it can make a HUGE difference), and how well you calibrate it. There IS an "Auto Calibrate" option, but it's nowhere near as good as manually adjusting everything.

yeah...that don't look as good as advertised.

Nothing ever does. As @DVir mentioned, it depends on the settings used.

It really isn't a "plug and play" program. If you want it to work really well, then you need to have a good camera, very good lighting, and do a LOT of calibration tweaking to make it work as advertised... But even without that, it still works quite well, honestly.

..A fair disclaimer: I may be SOMEWHAT biased, being one of their moderators and all.. /humblebrag

• Like 1

off topic comment.

can someone on staff alter my Username to Dvir rather than DVir.....?

I dont have a clue how the V got capitalized....

Back on Topic.

Chaos, i have a question, does the program allow for photorealistic texture & mesh use?

Back on Topic.

Chaos, i have a question, does the program allow for photorealistic texture & mesh use?

I'm not sure, honestly. They've only pushed the program so far, but I BELIEVE it'd depend more on your hardware than the software itself (don't take my word as law, though. I only keep an eye on their forums, I'm no developer). Textures should be absolutely fine, but if you're getting models over 100k verts pure estimate, then you may run into frame rate issues.

I actually bought this program a while back, hoping there would be the ability to make custom avatars for it someday. Some people seem to have succeeded, so that's cool.
I can't run it on my old dinosaur of a computer though, so I'll have to wait until I get a new PC.

to run it with some high rez (photo-realistic) level graphics you are likely looking at quite a bit of gpu horsepower...

the next build I am planning would have enough (Extreme Gaming workstation Build), but as things currently stand it's going to be quite some time until I have the spare cash with everything else I have going on just now (business stuff mostly but also vehicle repairs).

• 2 weeks later...

The basic idea seem good, but you have to use a "good" web cam and this and that. Well no thanks. I will not was money on stuff that I don't use.

I have a old web cam and some problem with my com. beside I have not use the webcam in years, well just the microphone but that's all.  

Nah, you don't need a good webcam - you just need enough lighting levels so that the webcam can maintain a solid framerate and so that the software can pick out facial features and sync with them. I used a webcam I ripped from a 10 year old laptop and soldered on a regular USB cable. Works like a charm.

The trick to good lighting - two light sources behind the camera illuminating you, then a light behind you almost off-scene.

It works fine with my GTX260 and looks pretty good.

with higher end webcams you don't need to be as paranoid about lighting.

ive bought it and used it extensively without issue 95% of the time, doesn't track my eyes well but there's a function to disable eye tracking and have it follow the camera and auto blink.

Ive seen people buy it, not even bother setting it up correctly, then bitch that "it's broken" or "it's shitty" 5 minutes later

ive bought it and used it extensively without issue 95% of the time, doesn't track my eyes well but there's a function to disable eye tracking and have it follow the camera and auto blink.

Ive seen people buy it, not even bother setting it up correctly, then bitch that "it's broken" or "it's shitty" 5 minutes later

Those people made up something like 40% of the posts on the forums that we had to respond to on launch. People can't follow instructions and they tend to expect everything to just.. work. Even if their face is almost impossible to see I:

Nah, you still have to be paranoid about lighting even with higher-end webcams. Their aperture is incredibly small and their sensor size (and pixels) is incredibly small, which makes for noisy low-light picture capture and interferes with Facerig when you get any appreciable distance from the camera.

I've got about 18 webcams of varying makes and models, from low-end to high-end. I've tested them all with facerig and other things (multiple-angle guitar demos, multiple-angle kitchen broadcasts, etc.)

um, just have an IR capable webcam, use its nightvision mode & lighting issues no longer apply.

All webcams are IR capable. Open the lens assembly and remove the green IR filter behind it.

That usually makes things worse - Facerig uses color levels for Principal Components Analysis for detecting facial features, among other detection algorithms.

ah, did not realize that, assumed it used shadows and shapes.