Windows 10 and Bosses

Clove Darkwave

So by now it's common knowledge that Windows 10, in regards to playing nice with programs you already had installed, can be completely terrible. So let's get straight to the story's short and bitter version.

Clove: [Boss], I need to make you aware of Win10 attempting to install itself on the computer that runs our PoS system. I stopped it this morning. I'll inform staff to keep an eye out for it. I could also take precautions to make certain it doesn't sneak by.

[Boss]: Why wouldn't we upgrade it, I did it on my office computer. It only took 5 minutes.

Clove blank stares for a moment, knowing that [Boss]'s computer is in fact currently running Win. XP

Clove: I don't think that's a good idea. Windows 10 is known to have compatibility issues with programs, I'm concerned that the PoS system won't function properly.

[Boss]: Well just hold off for now and let me call my brother about it.

[Boss]: Okay so go ahead and update the system on Monday.

Monday comes

Clove: After having had to wait on boss to return from going out to lunch for an hour and a half and not bothering to answer phone. So what I warned about has happened, the PoS system is unable to process any transactions and is giving these errors here. I've pulled up System Restore and we can just revert it to Win 7 with your go ahead.

[Boss]: Let me call a Tech Support service (This service costs $100/hr apparently, by the way)

Later

[Boss]: I'm leaving for the day (After """working""" for like 45m-1hr as usual) I told them to ask for you if they call back for more information since you know more about computers than I do and would know what to do.

tl;dr Fuck Win 10 and people who don't listen but then pretend they do.

Hades Heat.gif

• Like 4

Is it not possible to go through the updates downloaded/installed and delete the one that demands being upgraded to 10?  It was a while ago when I did it, but on Win 7 it worked regarding getting rid of the pop-ups/logo at the bottom right.

Your boss sounds really incompetent and inefficient. If he really trusts that you know what you're doing with computers, why would he still call tech support?

On another note, I've found Windows 10 to be a fairly pleasant experience overall, although I mostly use my PC for gaming and most of the games I've played thus far are newer so that's probably why. If anything, its at least a step up above 8 which had that awful smartphone UI outside of the desktop and a poor search function.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Feelwell the Rabbit said:

Windows 10 isn't the worst...

I mean it's not the best but it's not the worst.

I mean, it's not a Mac.

So that's good.

Mac user since the Apple IIC.

The ghost of Steve Jobs dumps on your Windows 10. 

• Like 2

All of our computers at work self installed windows 10. IT sent out emails several times saying our POS system and account management systems did not work with Windows 10 and not to upgrade yet.

The computers upgraded themselves.

The computers are taking over. Skynet is here.

(We rolled everything back. Luckily we were only down for an hour.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DevilBear said:

All of our computers at work self installed windows 10. IT sent out emails several times saying our POS system and account management systems did not work with Windows 10 and not to upgrade yet.

That is terrifying, losing all of this data I only have one copy of due to windows updating.

I should kill the update with fire

3 hours ago, DevilBear said:

If you keep close with your administration team, I believe there's a group policy option that prevents Windows 10 from installing, but I could be wrong.

What were the errors you were getting? Actually no, you shouldn't post that since they could reveal a security vulnerability which *any* bug has the potential to become. It is, by definition, an unknown. My hunch is this POS (point of sale, or possibly piece of shit) application is something either custom-made for your work, or a customizable third-party application. Especially in the first case, it's often a slow and painful process, and an expensive one, to upgrade it for the next version of Windows. I've known banks that were using unsupported versions of Windows where security problems are no longer fixed for that reason.

That said, it could be a very simple thing like permission changes, where the user the program is running under no longer has the permissions it needs to process those transactions. That would be a simple setting that needs to be changed. Alternatively, it could be caused by some change in a native API and without code fixes and recompilation, you are very unlikely to be able to resolve it on your own.

In case the error message is useless, you could try using a debugging tool:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff551063(v=vs.85).aspx

1 hour ago, Endless/Nameless said:

I suppose it can only be attributable to human error. :V

This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been due to human error.

1 hour ago, Ricky said:

What were the errors you were getting? Actually no, you shouldn't post that since they could reveal a security vulnerability which *any* bug has the potential to become. It is, by definition, an unknown. My hunch is this POS (point of sale, or possibly piece of shit) application is something either custom-made for your work, or a customizable third-party application. Especially in the first case, it's often a slow and painful process, and an expensive one, to upgrade it for the next version of Windows. I've known banks that were using unsupported versions of Windows where security problems are no longer fixed for that reason.

That said, it could be a very simple thing like permission changes, where the user the program is running under no longer has the permissions it needs to process those transactions. That would be a simple setting that needs to be changed. Alternatively, it could be caused by some change in a native API and without code fixes and recompilation, you are very unlikely to be able to resolve it on your own.

In case the error message is useless, you could try using a debugging tool:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff551063(v=vs.85).aspx

End users of an application, especially if it's a turnkey solution or distributed like a multi-terminal POS application, should not have to become debuggers.  That's what vendor support is supposed to be for.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Carenath said:

Microsoft trying to be "friendly" with its error messages, when I'd much rather a STOP error I can search in a few minutes and get an explanation for it.

To be fair, windows 10 was meant to be idiot friendly. Any sort of error message would defeat this purpose.

11 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

To be fair, windows 10 was meant to be idiot friendly. Any sort of error message would defeat this purpose.

Except they've gone so far in treating users like fault-tolerant know-nothings that they've all but completely destroyed end users' ability to have tech support fix what's broken in a timely manner.  This mindset, enshrined in Windows for 9 years now (15 years if you count XP's default auto-reboot on informative but brief BSOD), is what causes people to believe all computers are inherently broken and unfixable, and it lets people get away with believing risky upgrades won't cause more problems than are already uncorrected.

Edited by ArielMT
I can words, honest.

I gotta say, even with Microsoft going in a lot of good directions with the win10 UI as compared to 8, it has literally never looked uglier. 

I was gonna say it hasn't looked this ugly since 3.1, but......I googled some pics of 3.1 and frankly it looks better