Rant: Valley Girls

Sidewalk Surfboard

I thought they were a stereotype and didn't actually exist.

They're the reason I stay 102938212 feet away from stereotypical femininity as it is known in the olden culture.

I would cry internally if I met someone like that.

My school is full of them. They don't even do schoolwork. They just sit there on their phones and talk to one another, and one of them keeps slamming their fists down and snapping. Snapping scares me, and I know I can't ask them to stop because they'll just keep doing it.

Girls got a right to be however they want man, just cuz you don't like their personality doesn't mean you're superior to them. 

I understand the annoyance, but it's the kind of thing you gotta trick yourself out of otherwise you'll end up a very hateful and bitter person. Don't make other girl's your enemy, we get torn down by society enough as it is without pitting ourselves against each other. You just gotta look at it this way:

Instead of "Ugh, that fucking annoying girl is on her phone again"

Think of "Wow, she's doing something she enjoys, I hope her day goes well." 

It takes time, but soon you'll be thinking the secondary thing instead of the first, and you'll find your outlook becomes more positive as a result. 

TL;DR: Be less terrible to others, you'll end up cooler. 

• Like 4

It's okay to dislike them regardless of gender if they're annoying.

I wasn't trying to say it's not okay to dislike them, sorry.

I only meant that it's easier if OP would try to be pleasant towards them in the long run.

Like this kid who hangs out in my little group of friends, he gets right under my skin. But I still make small talk with him when he talks to me. The only time I've been mean was when he was being rude and wouldn't let me read my book. It's totally okay to check their attitude sometimes, but try not to be hateful about it. They're still trying to flesh out their personalities, same as OP.

I wasn't trying to say it's not okay to dislike them, sorry.

I only meant that it's easier if OP would try to be pleasant towards them in the long run.

Like this kid who hangs out in my little group of friends, he gets right under my skin. But I still make small talk with him when he talks to me. The only time I've been mean was when he was being rude and wouldn't let me read my book. It's totally okay to check their attitude sometimes, but try not to be hateful about it. They're still trying to flesh out their personalities, same as OP.

Me? Pleasant? You're funny.

Me? Pleasant? You're funny.

See I was exactly like this. You know where it gets you? Friendless. Or friends with assholes. You wanna know what happens when you're friends with assholes? When you need something, they'll fuck you over. They'll use you. Wanna know why? Cuz they're assholes. 

There is one thing that valley girls have always done. I am old enough to remember them in the 1980's with "Gag me with a spoon." and all those other stupid phrases too. 

That being said the thing they do that I CANNOT STAND is when they end their statement sentences with an inflection that increases towards the end of the sentence. In English, that is an inflection reserved exclusively for asking questions, NOT MAKING STATEMENTS! I really love it when I see these girls, who think it is cute, say it to a judge or other authority figure and they sharply ask them "Are you asking a question?!"

Edited by Skylar Husky
  • Like 1

:(

Indeed. And I'm older than you. Maybe I should avoid any future "what's your age thread" haha

OP, yeah valley girls are annoying. Especially when they come to visit Alaska and have no clue what they'll find and expect everything to be the same as home. Why they think that and still insist on leaving home is beyond me. But I digress, their money is as good as anybody's. ;)

Honestly, why care? If you have a problem with some of their individual behaviors that cause anxiety or something (and they aren't just pointless nitpicks on your part, like them being on their phones), and they won't stop, ask a teacher about it.

I've been considered that "type" before (despite living nowhere near California), as well as many, many other things.
I've been a cheerleader, I've been a tomboy, I've been "well-off", I've been dirt-poor, I've been a goth, I've been pastel, I've been everywhere in-between.
The older you get, the less you care about such trivial horseshit.

• Like 2

Girls got a right to be however they want man, just cuz you don't like their personality doesn't mean you're superior to them. 

I understand the annoyance, but it's the kind of thing you gotta trick yourself out of otherwise you'll end up a very hateful and bitter person. Don't make other girl's your enemy, we get torn down by society enough as it is without pitting ourselves against each other. You just gotta look at it this way:

It takes time, but soon you'll be thinking the secondary thing instead of the first, and you'll find your outlook becomes more positive as a result. 

TL;DR: Be less terrible to others, you'll end up cooler. 

Thishi

TL;DR: Be less terrible to others, you'll end up cooler. Tis I agree, I only refer to fake weird ideas human culture has somehow come up with. "Valley girls" as depicted in media tend to be airheaded, rude, and overly vain. The girly girls I would see in real life wouldnt actually be like this, because despite being pretty or liking dance they still have their own way of being intellectual.

This I agree with, I was referring to to "valley girls" as depicted in media. These were often shown as airheaded and dumb, rude, and overly vain. I dont normally find this to be true with actual people, as even the girliest of girls who like makeup and dance have their own brand of intelligence one way or another, can still be nice, and are just beautiful because they can be.

Granted due to stereotype I disliked certain girls a lot when I was a kid though...which I now see as dumb. Im not fond of it myself but I no longer mind if a girl is girly and actsas such, we just probably wont get along if our interests vary too muchG

• Like 1

Honestly, when people decry the stereotypical habits of women and girls, my brain just immediately goes back to that "Other girls / Me" shit you see all the time on the internet.

You know what I'm talking about.

tumblr_mfmfykK2Hk1qafrs1o1_1280.thumb.pn

Edited by Vae
  • Like 1

See I was exactly like this. You know where it gets you? Friendless. Or friends with assholes. You wanna know what happens when you're friends with assholes? When you need something, they'll fuck you over. They'll use you. Wanna know why? Cuz they're assholes. 

Going to disagree with you here. This is not entirely true, like all things it depends on how you handle yourself and how you choose to interact with others. I find a lot of people very irritating for one reason or another. This does not stop me from conducting myself politely and enjoying myself, they are after all nothing more than a brief flash to be forgotten. The only time this backfires is when people mistake that for liking them, but that's because they are socially inept. If people want to portray themselves in such a loathsome manner, to be so incredibly unaware of themselves and how much they disturb others then to be looked at with disdain is the correct course of action.

I pick and choose who I associate with and cut out the rest. You know where it got me? With a small handful of some of the best people I have ever known, who are intelligent and empathetic beings that I love nothing more than being in the company of.