Russian Parlaiment Legalises Domestic Violence

Kinharia

https://www.ft.com/content/e523d036-e482-11e6-9645-c9357a75844a

So the Russian Parlaiment had a vote back on the 27/01/17 and it was simply, legalise domestic violence. It was approved 380-3 in the Russian Parlaiment.

"The bill’s authors, led by Olga Batalina, Mr Volodin’s protégé and former doctoral student, say their aim is to close a supposed loophole in a bill passed last summer that downgraded battery to a misdemeanour, but made domestic violence a criminal offence."

"Under the new bill, first-time assault of a close family member is a misdemeanour that carries a fine of up to Rbs30,000 ($500) or 15 days of community service. Repeat offenders face criminal charges only if further domestic violence is reported within the following year."

So in Russia you can legally beat your family members once every year.

Alternative Links/News Sources:
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/2017/01/russia-votes-to-decriminalise-domestic-violence.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/01/27/russian-parliament-decrimiinalizes-domestic-violence/97129912/

http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/01/russia-voted-to-decriminalize-domestic-violence.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/25/russian-mps-back-plan-partially-decriminalize-domestic-violence/

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-01-27/russian-politicians-approval-to-bill-decriminalising-some-domestic-violence/

I feel sort of hopeless about this, because obviously Russia has laws against things like torture and rape, and that hasn't stopped widespread sexual abuse of new recruits in the Russian Military, or widespread torture in the Russian judicial system.

Even if Russia had the toughest rules against domestic violence, would it actually make any difference to real Russians?

Interestingly, as you point out, the precise legal reason that this odd softening of the law regarding domestic violence has been introduced is because Russia successfully introduced laws a while ago that installed harsher penalties for domestic abuse. Opponents realised that this meant a neighbour who beat somebody's child would face a smaller penalty than a parent who beat their own child, and they used that as the leverage to make this law change.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-38767873

So...the Russians have softened laws against wife beating, because it was unacceptable that the law implied beating children was wrong.

Fucking charming, isn't it?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

I don't get the idea why you'd beat your wife/husband if they misbehave.

It's about as smart as keying your own car if it runs out of fuel.

I've seen some get angry enough at their possessions to start kicking and hitting them. They aren't the most rational people.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

I don't get the idea why you'd beat your wife/husband if they misbehave.

It's about as smart as keying your own car if it runs out of fuel.

Same reason people beat their children when they misbehave, I imagine.
Same reason people punch people in the face for angering them.

It's cathartic to hurt the things that hurt or anger us.

If you've never felt a flash of anger and wanted to bust someone's teeth out for doing something, if only for a second, you're lying to yourself.
Some people just have less control over that urge. Or just don't want to exercise it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vae said:

Same reason people beat their children when they misbehave, I imagine.
Same reason people punch people in the face for angering them.

It's cathartic to hurt the things that hurt or anger us.

If you've never felt a flash of anger and wanted to bust someone's teeth out for doing something, if only for a second, you're lying to yourself.
Some people just have less control over that urge. Or just don't want to exercise it.

Actually no, I have not had the urge to punch someone's teeth in or hurt people. To claim otherwise would be to lie. I have wanted to punch a /thing/ or two, yes, and I have, but never a person.

Don't call others violent towards other people when you don't know who they are. Maybe it's your upbringing but I wasn't raised to punch the people I didn't like.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

Actually no, I have not had the urge to punch someone's teeth in or hurt people. To claim otherwise would be to lie. I have wanted to punch a /thing/ or two, yes, and I have, but never a person.

Don't call others violent towards other people when you don't know who they are. Maybe it's your upbringing but I wasn't raised to punch the people I didn't like.

There's a large amount of difference between feeling and action. I'm not talking about action, specifically.
Urges do not a violent person make, unless they act upon them. Do not mistake this difference.
They can, but they do not automatically.

Also if you feel that strongly, you are certainly in the minority about it. So yes, I will assume this about the general public as it does apply most of the time.

53 minutes ago, Sarcastic Coffeecup said:

Not everybody has these urges, just like not everybody has a blood lust for watching dogs fight each other. Gamedog was amazed, for example, when I told him that I genuinely didn't have any interest in watching animals getting torn to pieces and that the thought of it made me actually feel sick.

Unfortunately a lot of people do have those kinds of urges though and some people don't appreciate those urges are wrong. :C

9 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

Being fined and getting a misdemeanor doesn't sound like legalization to me

They're not legalising it no, they are simply softening the law a great deal. Previously if you were beating your wife 'without causing injury' you would have had a harsher sentence.

The actual detail of the law is probably irrelevant, because I don't think there's much enforcement. The greater risk is that it indicated an even more lenient attitude towards domestic abuse could prevail- some people might interpret the law change as a license to keep being abusive.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Vae said:

There's a large amount of difference between feeling and action. I'm not talking about action, specifically.
Urges do not a violent person make, unless they act upon them. Do not mistake this difference.
They can, but they do not automatically.

Also if you feel that strongly, you are certainly in the minority about it. So yes, I will assume this about the general public as it does apply most of the time.

I did say "urge" did I not? Telling me about the distinction when I already made it is pointless.

Yes of course majority of people want to take a hands-on approach to people, I don't, and that makes me a minority I know. But to generalise that everyone wants to use physical violence to other people, that's BS.

(I don't mean I haven't gotten angry, I just find other outlets for it than violence)

3 hours ago, Saxon said:

They're not legalising it no, they are simply softening the law a great deal. Previously if you were beating your wife 'without causing injury' you would have had a harsher sentence.

The actual detail of the law is probably irrelevant, because I don't think there's much enforcement. The greater risk is that it indicated an even more lenient attitude towards domestic abuse could prevail- some people might interpret the law change as a license to keep being abusive.

I don't really understand; it sounds like they just wanted to correct an inconsistent law giving harsher punishments on lighter crimes than harsher crimes, instead changing it to be more consistent with the severity of the actions committed.

I don't think this encourages abusive behavior either; there's still punishment involved, and thus its still seen as a crime and something undesirable. I don't think anyone wants to put $500 out of pocket or do community service.

7 hours ago, Battlechili said:

I don't really understand; it sounds like they just wanted to correct an inconsistent law giving harsher punishments on lighter crimes than harsher crimes, instead changing it to be more consistent with the severity of the actions committed.

I don't think this encourages abusive behavior either; there's still punishment involved, and thus its still seen as a crime and something undesirable. I don't think anyone wants to put $500 out of pocket or do community service.

It's not registered as a crime; it's technically decriminalised.
"The legislation would define first assaults which cause less serious injuries as administrative - rather than criminal - offences."
By 'less serious' they mean 'does not require a stay in hospital'. Punishment is not guaranteed- it is simply guaranteed that the punishment for the first offense will not exceed a fine or community service.

Repeat abuse will be considered criminal, though, but what are the odds anybody will ever report it anyway, realistically?

This is the report to the UN on the treatment of Women in the Russian federation:
http://tbinternet.ohchr.org/Treaties/CEDAW/Shared Documents/RUS/INT_CEDAW_NGO_RUS_46_9974_E.pdf

"The Commission is extremely concerned that law enforcement officers still do not regard such violence as a serious crime, believing it, rather, to be a ‘private matter’ which belongs to the family sphere, or a personal problem of a particular woman. The key reason for this is the lack of specific legislation to combat violence against women"

The report indicates that 1 in 4 families are violent, so this is a pretty widespread problem which the police have just be turning a blind eye to for the longest time.