Weird Shit You Do in Videogames

Victor-933

Odd habits you have developed or picked up.

I'll start. I do a bunch of weird shit in the X games regarding naming my properties.

I use a code system for naming stations and their attached freighters: XXXX-YYYY ZZ, where X is a four-letter abbreviation of the sector the station is sited in, Y is a four-letter abbreviation of the station type, and ZZ is the station number (for multiple stations of the same type in the sector). Each freighter takes the name of its parent station, with the addition of "TS##" (TS being the ship class for freighters; ## being the ship number).

I also use different naming conventions for my larger ships, depending on their class.

• Utility tugs are named after US states
  • Superfreighters (for building stations; I sometimes hire them out for NPCs build requests too) take their names from the five Great Lakes
  • Corvettes are named after national capitols
  • Patrol frigates are named after sovereign nations
  • Capital ships (destroyers and carriers) are named after continents

Most of this started in X2 because its less-intuitive interface made tracking things harder.

20 hours ago, Tsuujou said:

I like to be really weirdly nice and encouraging in Overwatch.

Every match...

"We're going to win. I've never seen a better group of star players in this game."

"This is the greatest team in the galaxy. Defeat is 110% impossible."

Thats exactly like it in csgo. I have to be the friendly face to remind teammates that we wont loose and dond give up.i may thing someone did an awful job in a round but you just dont say tgey are a noob like people do. You say aww badluck, goodtry ect. Just keeps players positive. 

Edited by phaolfal

I like to name all my guns in Fallout 4 some variant of "[adjective] girl". Ex 10 mm is Small Girl, fire damage laser rifle is Angry Girl, etc etc. I also use this naming scheme on my Pokemon when possible even when they're male. Insert shrug emoji here lol. 

I also won't play online games (overwatch/TF2/LoL/whatever) unless someone is nice to me in a practice round. :P 

I hold the SNES controller by curling my index finger over both the A and X buttons. Middle goes to bumper. Thumb goes to B and Y.
I've always done this because it makes running and dashing while shooting a fuck of a lot easier in Super Metroid and Megaman X. It just kind of hurts after a while.

I never name my Pokemon unless I'm trading them.

I always get the warp whistles in Mario 3, but I never actually use them.

I never talk to the villagers in Animal Crossing unless I'm returning a lost item.

I don't do multiplayer games, period, in general.

17 minutes ago, Vae said:

I hold the SNES controller by curling my index finger over both the A and X buttons. Middle goes to bumper. 

Claw grip. This is actually how a lot of pro Melee players similarly hold their controllers to get as high an APM as possible. 

jyjvwHd.png

• Like 1

In contrast to @Vae, I always name my Pokemon, unless I'm trading them. If I can't think of anything, I'll name them something stupid/the first thing that comes to mind.

In more recent games, I also try to catch only one of each Pokemon if I can help it (unless there are male/female differences or other variants).

Also, in any Zoo Tycoon game I've played, I'll always name one tiger Tybalt if I get any. (Strangely, Tybalt has also always been the one to escape his enclosure/kill other animals...)

In Skullgirls, I taunt every time I win a round/match. Not because I'm trying to gloat/annoy my friends, but because I think Beowulf's dumb howl is funny. :v

In Minecraft... I rarely mine, or even build much aside from simple houses and animal pens. Most of my time is spent farming food, wood, and other supplies. Most times I'll settle in near a friend's base/house, set up operations there, and keep their storage chests stocked with supplies in return for stone and iron. What do I use those for?

...Making tools to farm more supplies with. Of course.

I also inevitably try to get one sheep in every color (you can dye them, there's 16 colors), even if I rarely use their colored wool for anything.

In games that permit you to customise your character, I always play a female character first. If possible they will also be non-human. I tend to pick the options that give me the prettiest armour set.

I always feel like being a bad guy would be the most fun, but I end up being the nice guy anyway.

If I'm told by an NPC that a mission is really important, and has to be done RIGHT AWAY or someone might DIE, I generally procrastinate over starting that quest as much as possible to see if they're telling the truth.

I rarely play online multiplayer, but when I do, I refuse to talk to other players with VOIP. There is a small reason for this in that US games tend to group players based on whether they are in America (80% English, 15% Spanish, 5% other) or Europe (13% English, 18% German, 12% French, 57% some other language I don't even speak a single word of). Honestly, wouldn't it make more sense to segregate your servers by dominant language? Yes, I KNOW closer servers are going to be faster but surely they could be sectioned?

Not super weird, but in RPGs that let you customize your characters appearance via armour and stuff, I tend to get attached to something I find early on, and sometimes find myself playing a self-imposed Hard Mode due to my refusal to switch their equipment for better stuff that actually increases their stats -_-

Also, in Pokemon I have a tendency to play "Gym Leader style" and only play with Pokemon of the Water type. Not too bad later on when you can catch dual-types like Lanturn, but can sometimes lead to a bit of a struggle near the start - especially with Sun/Moon which didn't have many great ones near the start...

2 hours ago, Cham said:

Not super weird, but in RPGs that let you customize your characters appearance via armour and stuff, I tend to get attached to something I find early on, and sometimes find myself playing a self-imposed Hard Mode due to my refusal to switch their equipment for better stuff that actually increases their stats -_-

I do this too. I often find myself agonizing over potential upgrades because they look stupid as shit.

Also, when I played WoW on private servers I would never use purchased equipment or quest rewards. Everything I wore was self-crafted. I did this because I could never make myself work on trade skills otherwise. I would always hit level walls and shit, where I couldn't train anymore because I was ten levels too low or the next trainer was in some area ten levels higher than me (I played vanilla, so you had to go elsewhere for higher level training).

When I played TF2, after every victory and during the "seal clubbing" phase where all enemy players are stuck in 'cower' mode, I would haul ass to the enemy spawn and do High-Five emotes with any survivors I found.

CastleVania: Dawn of Sorrow's Puppet Master has such a deep, sinister voice. Every time I fight Puppet Master in Harmony of Despair, I find myself immitating his DofS voice. His HofD voice doesn't sound the same. It's not as deep or demonic. It's still pretty sinister, I just like the DofS voice more.

Every time I move against a Pirate raiding party (or anything else hostile) in X3, I call them up and demand their surrender before the fighting starts.

None of them ever do, though; NPCs are programmed to not bail until their shields are already down, and their probability of bailing out is based on how quickly their shields and hull health are dropping. More often than not even if they do opt to surrender there's still so much ordnance headed their way they're dead already and just don't know it yet.

A lot of them talk mad shit to me because clearly their one-man light fighter is more than a match for the 1km long light carrier (with two wings of ten OP-as-fuck fighters) that I'm flying.

On 10/12/2017 at 7:20 AM, Cham said:

Reminds me of a racing game I played once (Midnight Club 2, I think).

I got attached to the beginner car you get to choose at the start of the game, and basically used it for every race. I only switched it up for the races that required you to use certain types of cars.

12 minutes ago, Alexxx-Returns said:

I've started playing XCOM 2 recently and I ALWAYS reset my save if one of my soldiers gets killed because I've become attached to them all.

Love the fact that I'm not the only one who does this xD

• Like 1

Just now, Cham said:

Love the fact that I'm not the only one who does this xD

Oh yeah, I've got my own naming system for my soldiers too. I keep the first name as whatever it was, but I either rhyme or alliterate the last name and make it something badass. E.g, Jane Insane, Khaled Kickass, Boris Ballistic.

The only one who doesn't follow this trend is Dick Kickem, but he doesn't need to.

• Like 2