Songs Ruined by Bad Lyrics/Other Bad Sounds

Kinare

You know, those songs that you jam along to and then suddenly... something very stupid and irritating passes through your ears, making it hard for you to further enjoy the song. This could be poor lyrics, poor vocals, horrible instrumental part or where it doesn't belong, etc. If you're lucky it's only at the end of the song or once and short so you can listen to the majority of it without being irritated, but if you're unlucky then it's a repetitive irritant.

For me the offender that has me currently very miffed is Dynamite by Gareth Emery. The chick pronounces it Dinomite. Dino. And there's a strong emphasis on the "o" as well, it's not like she says it fast and I'm confusing it so I could easily get past it. Nope. ;-; Until then it's an amazing song, but since it's the damn title you can bet it repeats multiple times, so the entire song is basically ruined... Sometimes I can force myself past it, sometimes I can't.

Off the top of my head, I like Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me a River," but hate the weird random wub-wub-wub that comes in at the end and serves no purpose. What the fuck, Timberlake?

The winner of the Failed Potential Award goes to "We Are Young" by Fun. It's like a failed Bohemian Rhapsody rip-off. At the very start of the song, the tempo is brisk and fun. Then, the breaks screech as we're treated to a dramatic, slow, epic-sounding chorus that the song hasn't fucking earned, and the rest of the song stays in the low-tempo doldrums. I'm getting pissed off just talking about it.

I hate when syllables or beats repeat as if on a skipping record, or when syllables are held out for no reason in particular. Ergo, I hate No Doubt's "Hey Baby," and had to warm up to "Chandelier" by Sia and "Rehab" by Amy Winehouse (but now really like them both).

Another current song that adds a pointless "-haaaah" sound to the last word in the chorus is on the tip of my brain, but now I can't remember it. Damn.

The only reason I don't completely loathe dubstep is because my brain has come to associate it with fursuit dancing. Otherwise, it's irredeemable shit. The Alex Clare song "Too Close" would be even better sans-dubstep.

I love a good mashup or remix, but too many amateurs on Youtube smash together two songs just because they like them, so you end up with a shitty mashup of two songs in two totally different keys.

I know there are songs that bug me because the singer pronounces a word in a weird way, but I'm having trouble thinking of examples at the moment.

I hate when songs feel "over-produced." Sometimes, less is more. There are a lot of songs that would've been a lot more powerful if the main vocalist weren't being drowned out by the background accompaniment and sound effects. I think Katy Perry's "Dark Horse" would be lovely with just an acoustic guitar--and people on Youtube have done exactly that--and without Juicy Jay's shitty rap interlude. (On that note, Jonathan Coulson's acoustic cover of "Hey Ya" hits it right out of the park.)

There's this very nice latino song called ''Odio'' by Romeo Santos featuring some rapper.

...And that's the problem: latino music and rap clash horribly. It would be like putting a spoiler on a classic 60s car, completely out of place other than a sheer eyesore. Well, earsore in this case

I guess you can list in its entirety Iced Earth's debut album. There are some badass riffs on the album, but the vocals are way too rough.

On the other end, King Diamond is one of the greatest singers of all time, but the music part sounds like generic power metal.

Yeah, I hate this. And I honestly feel like it's not even subjective all of the time like there's just irrefutably BAD choices made when trying to "spice up" the music.

A loooot of music in ExciteBots has in my opinion really great beats, but so many of them have the strangest sound effects usually at the beginning that are offputting as fuck. I'm like why would you put those in there? You had a great song, then suddenly digital monkeys going apeshit and incredibly childish Nick Jr-esque sound effects. Why? :l

The actual instrumental and vocal parts of Blurred Lines are nice and catchy, but the lyrics themselves are rapey and awful.

But, they're ripe for parody, at least.

His next album was even WORSE, if you can believe it.

Well, and at least people identified Blurred Lines' icky implications right away, unlike the people who've apparently told Sting that "Every Breath You Take" is their romantic song.

• Like 1

Chemical Brothers - Otter Rock and Otter Rock II.

Not rock.  No otter.  And the electronic otter meep sounds really don't contribute to the light electronica beat anyway.  Its like they used a random work generator for the songs titles.

Also just about anything by AWOLnation.  Love the sound, love the songs, but most include a gratuitous curse that really doesn't need to be there.  Its like he's got Tourettes syndrome.   Whoo!

Edited by Irreverent

Any Deadmau5 song with a slut singing in the background... enjoying the beat of the intro, the rhythm and all that and then "'cuz I'm an attention whore!" starts playing... ugh.  Is it just me or do all the 'dirty' songs have a good beat to them?

• Like 1

I absolutely love most of the song Line of Silver by Machine Gun Fellatio. But around half way through the song there's this 40 second part that doesn't really fit into the song and kind of sucks. I wish I could find a YouTube video of the song so I could show what I mean, but no dice...

I've always hated the "WOOHOO YEEHOO" in Gwen Stefani's Sweet Escape

I also feel the guitar effect or whatever in the chorus of Prodigy's - You'll Be Under My Wheels ruins it. Maybe if it were toned down a bit it would be better? I don't quite like the song as much as I used to anyway, but felt it was worth sharing.

I also hate any songs with weird annoying instrumental noises, like whatever starts here or here

Edited by Phausk