Kellie Gator

Something else that bugged me about the movie was when the Otter guy was lumped in with the carnivores. Yea, I guess an otter would be a carnivore, they eat fish, right?

Also, what about whales and dolphins? The city is on the coast of the ocean so I assume there's a section for them. Here's a guide to the areas seen in the movie, at least. Wonder where the deciduous forest area was?

Be careful when you search for Zootpia on google. Went looking for shots from the naturalist scene, got a lot of.... fanart. Lots of fanart.

And then... meme:
zootopiafurcon1.jpg.b8ab4dcfb14ae0c12488zootopiafurcon2.jpg.31fd2e79427d53646a84

We should make this thread into a CLEAN fanart and movie clip thread.

tumblr_o3yjsgqXVR1txsff9o2_500.gif

Awesome cosplay!
http://trustedealcosplayandcostume.tumblr.com/post/141246328483/judy-x-nick-cosplay-zootopia-judy-by

• Like 2

Guys, there are official FAQs out there that answer these questions. Predators eat plants and fish.

Found this article about Shakira's Try Everything song http://fee.org/articles/try-everything-shakira-is-right/ Written just for fun, so don't take it seriously. The song, and movie, really resonated with me. I have a ton of things I could fail with, but also feel like maybe I haven't failed enough to have learned as much as I need to, and don't think I'm trying as many things as I should. Not that I'm not trying a lot of things (musical instruments, languages, martial arts, rearing bees, learning to fly, and being involved in businesses ranging from apps to financial services to food production), but there's just so much to try in the world and so little time to try it all. But I do hope the next generation follows the song's advice too: try everything, fail, learn from it, get up, and try try again. And when you succeed, pick something else and start again.

• Like 2

How on earth did someone write so many words about Shakira? I'm baffled, but genuinely impressed.

6 hours ago, Rassah said:

The song, and movie, really resonated with me. I have a ton of things I could fail with, but also feel like maybe I haven't failed enough to have learned as much as I need to, and don't think I'm trying as many things as I should.

It has a nice message. Fear of failure sucks, I know I could certainly be better at dealing with it.

I do like that about the movie. Judy has her hopes and dreams fall apart as soon as she gets there, and basically everything goes wrong. The part with Nick is the one thing that goes right, and then it turns out she got played like a fiddle. At that point most people would just give up and lose their optimism.

But she doesn't, and she ends up being a hero. It's not just "follow your dreams", it's "follow your dreams and be STUBBORN AS HELL".

• Like 2

On 3/27/2016 at 4:37 PM, Conker said:

I've wondered about some of this stuff too. It's kind of the big problem with working with talking animal people. How do you fill the world up with wildlife, and what does everyone eat?

It's to this day my big problem with Redwall, since some animals can talk and others can't for plot reasons.

It's all a lie!  Soylent green is made out of....

• Like 1

I'm loving how recent Disney films have focused very deliberately on fixing Disney's previous hokey messages, outdated morals, and broken Aesops, starting with The Princess and the Frog.

The awesome thing about "Try Everything" is how it emphasizes the importance of being willing to take risks and put forth your best effort, even if it results in initial failure or disappointment.

Even many Pixar films have glossed over the importance of devoting time, study, or sweat to refining your natural talents and pursuing your life goals. Compare Remy's whole arc in Ratatouille to just the scenes with Judy in basic training.

Nitpickers need to understand that "Try Everything (Except for Meth, Scientology, and Parachuting Off Your Roof With a Pillow Case)" wouldn't have been as catchy a title.

Edited by Troj
  • Like 2

So, guess who's going to see this film now?
Yeah, it's me. Somehow I found another friend who wanted to see it.

Then I can join all you dorks in this thread
Is it true that this film has a plot to be spoiled, or do you all just enjoy it for the visuals?

7 hours ago, DrDingo said:

Then I can join all you dorks in this thread
Is it true that this film has a plot to be spoiled, or do you all just enjoy it for the visuals?

Yes.

To be honest it kind of blind-sided me since I only saw like one trailer and the plot is literally nothing like it.

• Like 2

I saw it this evening and it was so cute. I'm happy it came out good, from one of the longer trailers I watched it looked kind of stupid. I'm definitely pleased that it wound up being awesome particularly since it was hinted at being a "furry" film, or at least catering to a furry audience somewhat.

3 minutes ago, Endless/Nameless said:

It'd make me jealous; would that make it worth it?

Probably not. The 3D at the cinema I visit is fairly shitty. It runs on Active Shutter 3D, is a bit dim, and you can notice the refresh rate. Still, it might be worth seeing provided Zootopia makes good use of the tech.

Just now, Mr. Fox said:

Probably not. The 3D at the cinema I visit is fairly shitty. It runs on Active Shutter 3D, is a bit dim, and you can notice the refresh rate. Still, it might be worth seeing provided Zootopia makes good use of the tech.

I've never seen a movie in 3D, so.... Still jealous.

I'd go for it, might be good.

Just now, Endless/Nameless said:

I've never seen a movie in 3D, so.... Still jealous.

I'd go for it, might be good.

So you've never walked into a store and tried it out?

Damn, man, you been living under a rock or something?

Just now, Mr. Fox said:

So you've never walked into a store and tried it out?

Damn, man, you been living under a rock or something?

The nicest store in my area is quite behind the times; in facts, they recently tore out an entire half of the electronics section. So, no.

And the local theatre's 3D copy of Zootopia was corrupted and unplayable for like, two weeks and I didn't want to wait that long.

5 minutes ago, Endless/Nameless said:

The nicest store in my area is quite behind the times; in facts, they recently tore out an entire half of the electronics section. So, no.

And the local theatre's 3D copy of Zootopia was corrupted and unplayable for like, two weeks and I didn't want to wait that long.

And I thought this country was behind with the times. :/ 

That said, Zootopia 3D doesn't officially air at my local cinema until the 7th.

Edited by Mr. Fox

Wow. So I just saw it.

It was surprisingly heavy. Felt like a kind of political statement.

You could swap out 'Predators' for Muslims, Mexicans, Syrian Refugees.. same kinda deal. It's always going to be topical.

I had loads of moments where I thought "Wow, that guy's a dick". And it surprised me how emotionally invested I was throughout the whole ride.

And the animation.. top notch.

• Like 3

So many layers and lessons in that movie. Discrimination is bad, fight for your dream and don't give up even if you fail, stay away from questionable plants, how to make money by reselling ice cream bars (yay entrepreneurship! I was giddy watching that!)

• Like 2

Just now, Rassah said:

So many layers and lessons in that movie. Discrimination is bad, fight for your dream and don't give up even if you fail, stay away from questionable plants, how to make money by reselling ice cream bars (yay entrepreneurship! I was giddy watching that!)

I was not even sure WHAT laws Nick was violating when he did that, besides the fact he was using a dirty roof to melt his ice cream bar on top of... probably a health code violation there. And he was scamming people by pretending his fennec friend was a baby and he had left his wallet somewhere else. But the actual act of melting an ice cream bar and refreezing it as something else in itself isn't bad. He probably didn't have the proper permits for his ice cream stall.

Another good weekend for the talking animal movie.  ZT is about to become the biggest Disney movie ever in China beating out The Age of Ultron with an extended run. Who would have though that a 'furry' movie would gross almost billion dollars.  Byron Howard, Rich Moore, and Jared Bush must be beside themselves.  If ZT ultimately beats out BvS worldwide I'm going to buy the fandom a beer.

1 hour ago, Strongbob said:

Another good weekend for the talking animal movie.  ZT is about to become the biggest Disney movie ever in China beating out The Age of Ultron with an extended run. Who would have though that a 'furry' movie would gross almost billion dollars.  Byron Howard, Rich Moore, and Jared Bush must be beside themselves.  If ZT ultimately beats out BvS worldwide I'm going to buy the fandom a beer.

Just remember, I like ambers, lagers, and Belgian beers :3

• Like 2

So apparently in Zootropolis anyone can be anything, unless you are Chinese.  Despite being the most success animated movie ever in China, the People's Liberation Army has condemned Zootopia as western propaganda sating "“In a world of cruel reality, it is always a wolf that eats a sheep instead of the other way around. Such a fundamental concept that even a child could understand was turned around by Hollywood.”  So remember Chinese boys and girls, predators are bad, do not try everything, and do not upset the system.  I have a feeling this misplaced criticism will fall pretty flat, even in China.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Strongbob said:

So apparently in Zootropolis anyone can be anything, unless you are Chinese.  Despite being the most success animated movie ever in China, the People's Liberation Army has condemned Zootopia as western propaganda sating "“In a world of cruel reality, it is always a wolf that eats a sheep instead of the other way around. Such a fundamental concept that even a child could understand was turned around by Hollywood.”  So remember Chinese boys and girls, predators are bad, do not try everything, and do not upset the system.  I have a feeling this misplaced criticism will fall pretty flat, even in China.  

Well most Chinese people have never seen a foreigner so I doubt they'd really care either way.

3 hours ago, Saxon said:

The Chinese ban a lot of western cinema. The Chinese people do not notice, because they pirate everything anyway.

I'm just imagining a future news article where Chinese dissidents point to Zootopia as the inspiration for a revolution and use the battle cry 'Remember Nick and Judy!' as they march into Tianamen Square.

13 minutes ago, Strongbob said:

I'm just imagining a future news article where Chinese dissidents point to Zootopia as the inspiration for a revolution and use the battle cry 'Remember Nick and Judy!' as they march into Tianamen Square.

Wait in which part of Zootopia did Nick and Judy violently overthrow the government?

Interestingly, the Chinese represent a HUGE market, such that Hollywood has begun to cater more intentionally to Chinese interests and values. Cracked had a rather thought-provoking article about it a while ago.

As for the state lackeys' bitching about Zootopia, well, it takes a propagandist to know a propagandist. I've heard that a number of brave Chinese bloggers have been having a good laugh at the expense of that weird gripe.

Edited by Troj
  • Like 1

Zootopia-Concept-Art-disneys-zootopia-38

Some of the concept art looks cooler than the real deal...

Supposedly the initial draft of the story was a lot darker, with Nick being on the run or something. Even tho I love the movie as it is, I really would have loved to see that.

Damn, this looks cool.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Endless/Nameless said:

Some of the concept art looks cooler than the real deal...

Supposedly the initial draft of the story was a lot darker, with Nick being on the run or something. Even tho I love the movie as it is, I really would have loved to see that.

Damn, this looks cool.

Idea: What if Disney did a movie that is actually a "real" movie in the Zootopiaverse? Then they could have an excuse to explore the  furry Blade Runner-esque or Demolition Man-ish concept they were toying with originally. The commentary track could be the ZPD watching the film together and commenting on it.

Edited by Troj
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Troj said:

Idea: What if Disney did a movie that is actually a "real" movie in the Zootopiaverse? Then they could have an excuse to explore the  furry Blade Runner-esque or Demolition Man-ish concept they were toying with originally. The commentary track could be the ZPD watching the film together and commenting on it.

That would be very cool, but may not have quite as much broad appeal.  Like Endless said, the darker version of Zootopia they were toying with in production would appeal to a lot of fans, but I think they did this the right way.  By essentially creating an totally new world with highly developed animal characters using specialized animation techniques and making a movie which appeals to a really broad audience and then making a Billion Dollars, you have have proven your concept and paid for all of your initial development.  From here Disney can do just about anything and take way more risks without as much need to worry about the bottom line.   The future could be very interesting for furry fans :)

Edited by Strongbob
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Troj said:

A furry Blade Runner?? I'd think I'd have died and went to heaven........ C:

• Like 1

Well Hell's Bells you guys, the furry movie has done it.  This weekend Zootopia crossed the $900M mark at the box office (and hasn't even opened in Japan yet) and grossed $19M compared to BvS which has grossed $830M with a weekend total of only $15M.  At this point Zootopia will beat BvS handily and will probably become the third biggest "original" movie EVER while making a PROFIT of almost a $1 BILLION for Disney.  Let that sink in a bit.  Nick and Judy will kick the crap out of Batman and Superman and will make a BILLION dollars in the process.  This makes Zootopia sequels and spin-offs almost guaranteed and promises to grow the furry fan base for years to come.  Ho Lee Fuk.  I guess I owe everyone a beer (if you are of legal drinking age).  Cheers!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Strongbob said:

Well Hell's Bells you guys, the furry movie has done it.  This weekend Zootopia crossed the $900M mark at the box office (and hasn't even opened in Japan yet) and grossed $19M compared to BvS which has grossed $830M with a weekend total of only $15M.  At this point Zootopia will beat BvS handily and will probably become the third biggest "original" movie EVER while making a PROFIT of almost a $1 BILLION for Disney.  Let that sink in a bit.  Nick and Judy will kick the crap out of Batman and Superman and will make a BILLION dollars in the process.

Woot! :3 

14 minutes ago, Strongbob said:

This makes Zootopia sequels and spin-offs almost guaranteed and promises to grow the furry fan base for years to come.

Not...so sure if thats a great thing...