Rave: looking at old art and realizing you got better

Vallium

I filed through a huge pile of my old things. Sketchbooks and drawings and the like. I have a looooot of things that I've hoarded drawingwise because of the fact I once threw away notebooks filled with comics I drew as a young child because the art sucked. I wish I had it now because it was the idea I loved, and I'd look back at the awful 8 year old scribbles fondly.

So yeah, surprisingly this stuff is only...what...three/four years old? Back when I was in high school.

I thought I was a good artist back then. Dang...what the heck was I thinking? I got quite a couple good laughs from perusing my old archives. Some of whichI'd really want to redo sometime because I'm such a clever bastard

Even my younger sister, who's twelve years younger than me and a total brat, apparently copies my love of drawing. I found a couple of old scribbles from when she takes my sketchbooks and draws little scribble dogs in them (which did and still does irritate me to no end), and surprisingly, she's eight now and I can say those fuzzy dog-shaped scribbles have actually improved.

So yeah, tl;dr improvement is possible no matter the age. It helps if you delude yourself into being proud of shit art that you will later be ashamed of and snicker at.

This is a feeling I absolutely love. I can't wait until I get around to doing the "draw it again" challenge. I feel that that sort of thing gives the best opportunity to see HOW one has improved over time.

This is a feeling I absolutely love. I can't wait until I get around to doing the "draw it again" challenge. I feel that that sort of thing gives the best opportunity to see HOW one has improved over time.

18 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

I never get that feeling since I always end up deleting all my old stuff periodically out of embarrassment.

Don't be embarrassed, it's all the signs of improvement. At least your old stuff doesn't look better than your new. Now that's an embarrassing feeling.

Yeah, I threw out all my old drawing and stuff I did up through high school out of embarrassment.  I just have some scans on FA and dA to remember them.  While I recognise I have improved, sometime I feel like I haven't improved as much as I should have in all this time. ;_;

First furry drawing ever about seven years ago:

1268234899.brachyurus_pirate.jpg

My current shit:

1446852207.brachyurus_fancysmall.jpg

Edited by Chrysocyon
lol spoilers seem kinda broken.
  • Like 2

I'm coming up on a year of drawing in the furry fandom, I can't wait to do a before and after, I feel as if I have come a long way!

Here is the first piece I made of Crunchy

1420372592.crunchybat_bat.thumb.jpg.6fcc

And this is the first fury drawing I ever made!

1420376719.crunchybat_hawaiian_dance.png\\

I feel as I have grown greatly, it is really an amazing feeling to do what you love and see improvement, draw every day and you will succeed!!!

me now:

a lil nsfw.. but it's just balls :V 

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/18398180/

Edited by Crunchy
  • Like 2

improvement is inevitable. even if you tell yourself it doesn't matter in the end your perfectionism slaps you on the head and makes you do improve automatically. and in my case it seems that i slowly get back into it. need to focus on background in the next drawing though those are always a little ridiculous looking cuz i wanted to focus on the bodys first.