Watcha Playing, Phoenix?

Dr. Doggo

Screenshot_2016-08-01-11-07-04.png

Maximum comfiness.

Spent many hours when I was 7 and 8 years old putzing around under Win3.1 with a shitty midi of RHCP's "Under the Bridge" playing in the background, and now I can carry a small piece of my childhood in my pocket.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Amiir said:

Goddamn. How old are you exactly? Late 20s I immagine

I'm 27.

It's really mind blowing how much things have changed in only twenty years. Back then, if you wanted to listen to music on your computer, you could either put the CD in your drive (if you even had a CD drive) or dial in to a BBS and find a MIDI somebody had transcribed. Of course, you could only do that if you had a sound card installed, like the Soundblaster Pro I probably had at the time (I'd fire up the bundled tech demo every so often -- keep in mind this was pretty hot shit for the mid '90s)...

MP3 had just been invented and almost nobody had computers powerful enough to decode and play the files, or hard drives big enough to store more than a single album at most -- and that's assuming people even knew what an MP3 was. Then a few short years later you had the Dot Com Bubble, Kazaa, the rise of peer-to-peer networking, 3D games becoming the new standard, MMOs, YouTube...

Now, people can wirelessly stream dozens of gigabytes of video data to their phones just about anywhere in the country, and they complain about low quality or buffering, and throw their phone across the room if it's too slow...

I kinda feel like people should have to sit down and use a 486 for a week before they're allowed to use smartphones, to gain an appreciation for the wonders of the modern world...

My 100th run at the Crimson Armory has yielded up another of my target weapons: the S&S Draco. This legendary weapon is very easily overlooked because Gearbox glitched it and never fixed the glitch. The Draco will never spawn with the orange glow, the Draco title, or the appropriate red text on its info card ("Dragon's Fire"). Instead it spawns as a Glorious Massacre or Machine Gun of blue, green, or purple rarity. But there are certain things to look for in order to spot one.

It: a) must be manufactured by S&S and have a color scheme of black and yellow, b) have a strong fire accessory (x2-x4), c) and have a cylinder-shaped accessory under the barrel. Plus its listed stats must fall within a certain range.

A weapon matching all of these traits appeared in a chest during my 100th run. I am now the proud owner of the rarely-found and easily-overlooked S&S Draco combat rifle.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm playing Sonic Adventure DX for the PC. I REALLY wanted to test the "only people who like this game are just nostalgic" theory since I had no prior experience with it. 

And it's pretty darn fun! It's a bit janky at times, but really fun. I've only played Sonic's stages so far tho. I remember Game Grumps saying the controls were shit, but I'm happy to report that those guys couldn't be more wrong, man.

also, I'm soooo glad the dialogue/cut scenes don't make me cringe or want to die. It's simple and to the point so far... yup.

I refunded RedOut and saw Gurumin was only $10. I never played it when it was fresh on the PSP and remembered how painful 3D games were on the PSP, I'm glad this got a freshened up Steam port. At the same time, it reminds me why the PSP was my 2nd favorite handheld. I loved games like this. Nice simple humble games. Nothing grandiose. Just a charming little adventure platformer. Stuff to break. Secrets to find. And surprisingly varied combat (don't fuck with this little girl, holy crap), Ranking scores. Upgrades. All I can really ask for.

This War of Mine

A grim and relatively simple survival strategy game that has an emotional impact on you. The game is anti-glorification of war as it puts you in the shoes of civilians in a war torn city with active conflict going on. You must scavenge and craft your resources and there is always a scarcity of something. You often need to make tough decisions, sacrifices and think about "us or them" 

Available for mobile too. Highly recommended

14 hours ago, SkyboundTerror said:

Been playing the hell out of Destiny. I wasn't expecting it to be so addictive.

People really hate that game it seems. Whenever I mention it people just express an extreme disdain for it.
I thought it was pretty cool.

World of Tanks Blitz. Mobile version of World of Tanks; the biggest differences being teams are 7v7 instead of 15v15, and no artillery.

Kind of a love-hate relationship. It's fun, except when matchmaking completely fucks me over.

Last match built my team out of fucking five Tank Destroyers and two Mediums, while the enemy team got nothing but Mediums and even one Heavy.

Currently playing Fallout 4 again now that some decent mods are out.

Just bought Stardew Valley so looking forward to do that and been playing Destiny and its actually quite fun but nothing something I can just hammer endlessly.

on a side note... Not been around here for like...5 months? xD

Not playing anything quite just yet. Waiting for a port of a game I've been waiting for a YEAR to get here. 30 minutes.

This is the first time I've ever sat on Steam hitting reload waiting for a game to finally be available to purchase on it's store page. Got my card right next to me. Have the info pre typed in a text document so I can just copy and paste it in. Freed space on my harddrive. I am not wasting any fucking time.

• 3 weeks later...

Just started playing STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl. So far it's quite good, it manages to strike a nice middle-ground between the open world of Fallout and the linear path of Metro in terms of level design, and I already like a lot of the minor mechanics.

It's odd; I'm a massive fan of both Fallout and Metro, but I'm only now getting around to playing STALKER, I don't really know what kept me from it previously...

Friend got me dead space for halloween and says they'll give me dead space 2 if I beat it :|

The fucking music with its random dramatic tension in empty, cleared rooms. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Edit: Also started a Byzantium game in Eu4 and decided to use the Ottoman tactic of making all of my neighbors angry with me, but not angry enough to join a coalition against me, by invading the muslim world for a few years, then invading the catholics.

I kinda fucked up though because I ended up feeding some vassals too much, and now both the catholics and the muslims have joined the same coalition because the protestant, reformed, and hussite reformations have pushed the catholic world too far on top of me invading everywhere.

Just finished my game as Tuscany in Crusader Kings II, say hello to the great medieval Empire of Italy:

20161111222754_1.jpg

Now to convert the save over to Europa Universalis IV, and conquer the rest of the world... if only it would let me keep it as an Ironman Mode save after using the converter...

• 3 weeks later...

Somehow decided to return to battle isle 2, managing get somewhere in the map I was stuck on. Then the snow happened and things began turning into a capture fest and went tedious with many half dead units all over, some ran out of ammo and became useless whist others ran out of fuel and became glorified turrets. The only guide I can find is in German which isn't surprising as the game came from there.

Also has to be the only TBS game to have armoured trains and railway guns, likely because Germany had a thing for those at one point. Though there are none in the map I am on currently.

battle2_000.png

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Hux said:

Warcraft III  I'm revisiting the game after a seven year break.

God, I want a Naga campaign so bad. I also miss playing footman wars on battle net. I used to be devoted solely to footman wars.

Only 00's kids remember.

Hero Wars, Dota, Footman Wars, Icegliders and Polar Escape were my childhood

I remember. The game is definitely worth to pick up

• Like 1

This Rocket Knight on 360. This game is so mediocre. wtf?
It's slow as Hell and ugly as sin with garbage music and sound. Holy crap. Like, it's playable? It's just...weak and low energy for a series meant to be bombastic and mind numbing. Just would rather pop in the original or Sparkster. Or Hell, even Pop'n Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures. :c

• Like 2

I've been playing a lot of Stellaris since I got it a few days ago.

It's a lot of fun, with a lot more personality and story than something like Distant Worlds (though, like almost all 4X games besides Distant Worlds, the economy is still Space Communism...), though the excitement of exploring and story events seems to be mostly concentrated in the game's beginning, leaving the middle a little barren of interest other than tech advancements and occasional wars.

However, it has certainly improved since launch in terms of the complaints I had previously heard, and they seem pretty dedicated to releasing significant free content updates in the future, so hopefully the base game will improve significantly with these and the inevitable flood of Paradox DLC in the future.