The Animu Thread

Calemeyr

@Battlechili I wasn't there for Free last semester, but I wouldn't complain. It's not bad. Looks boring to me, though. The girls never get their fanservice shows, but there are far more males than females and a majority speaks during voting.

For NGNL, it's not that the nippes weren't shown, it's how it was handled. Kinda demeaning to the characters. At least the MC could've stripped too. But I guess that would have turned off the otaku.

Patlabour is split into two timelines

Timeline A (Patlabour: Early Day (OVA) > Movies)

Timeline B (Patlabour TV > New Files (OVA))

You can watch and understand it without watching the other one. The difference between the two are timeline A is much more serious than the other one is.

In other news, I'm watching Aura Battler Dunbine. 

Yay Patlabor!

Though I through all of these out before I moved to Toronto because I had no more space for physical media...

479161_10201063043081408_1979115766_o.jp

I have Blu-Ray copies now and didn't even own a VCR, so the VHS tapes and old Manga Ent DVDs were really of no value.

What I Really want to find are some subtitles for the new Live Action series though.  No one seems to be subbing it.  ...Unless I want it subbed in Chinese.

Edited by AshleyAshes

I just started watching this season's anime and so far, there are two anime that has me quite interested. 

First one is Subete ga F ni Naru. Honestly it was quite boring but there are some parts that really gets interesting. I'm still invested enough to overlook the boringness of it all. And ye gotta admit. It is quite a deep anime. Hell. They keep talking about deep shit about life. 

Second is Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru. This one Im liking so far. Detective and crime stuff really interest me. And this anime feels like an anime version of bones. The reuse of animation kinda bothered me but this one has am interesting story so I'll be seeing more of this. 

Just finished watching Yu Yu Hakusho again...damn I love that show.

Now, I must find anime that's not waifu simulator merch tie-in crap and actually has a plot that isn't horribly stupid and convoluted. Anime without underage fanservice, legal fanservice that is blatant and shameless, pretentious names for x feature of plot, dumb MC with girls fawning over him for no good reason, modern harems on general, and all-high school and younger female casts in a seinen (older male) anime. All that crap is a turn off. I think I knocked out most of anime these days with that list, lol.

The problem is, awesome anime was usually quite a risk in the beginning, and fanservicy otaku pandering is a safe bet for disc sales and merch buys. Short series without plot but addictive waifus sell better than creative, boundary pushing shows. It sucks, but that's the way the anime industry works now. Gotta hope the source material is awesome so that the studio will pick it up and make an awesome anime. But then there are even mkre issues with thr industry, such as tiny wages and a declining demographic. It's not really sustsinable under the current model and needs to change.

All that being said, anime has been getting abit better recently. And I got a big back log of shows to watch. I prefer dub (though the weebs at anime club exclusively watch sub). Far too tired to search for titles right now, but there are plenty to choose from. I haven't even finished watching Steins;Gate!

Edited by Calemeyr
  • Like 1

Now, I must find anime that's not waifu simulator merch tie-in crap and actually has a plot that isn't horribly stupid and convoluted. Anime without underage fanservice, legal fanservice that is blatant and shameless, pretentious names for x feature of plot, dumb MC with girls fawning over him for no good reason, modern harems on general, and all-high school and younger female casts in a seinen (older male) anime. All that crap is a turn off. I think I knocked out most of anime these days with that list, lol.

I agree with ye that anime these days focus too much on those stuff. That being said there are a few decent ones underneath all that fanservice.  Here are some anime I found myself enjoying. 

Gangsta

Durarara

Charlotte

Rokka no Yusha

Overlord

Kekkai Sensen

Arslan Senki

Hibike Euphonium 

Death Parade

Game of Laplace 

World Trigger

And a slice of life anime that I forgOt to mention earlier that's really good too. Shirobako. It's an anime about anime. Much like bakuman and sore GA Seiyuu.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched the first movie for digimon adventure tri. So much nostalgia and hype for an actual sequel to 02. I love how good they all matured. The designs for their older selves were quite nice. I have 2 gripes on the movie tho. First. I find the movie too geometric. I mean. A lot of circles and lines during the action scene bother me. A whole lot. It doesn't look..... natural if i say so myself. Secondly,  I'm quite disappointed in the execution. It would've been really good. But I feel like it would work better as a series than 3 movies. I'm honestly wondering what made them change direction since it was announced as a series originally. There was just too much crammed in for a short 1 hr and 20 min movie. 

And as a side note. I find the new evolution animation quite Mahou shoujou-ish which is both a turn off and hilarious at the same time. 

I just watched the first movie for digimon adventure tri. So much nostalgia and hype for an actual sequel to 02. I love how good they all matured. The designs for their older selves were quite nice. I have 2 gripes on the movie tho. First. I find the movie too geometric. I mean. A lot of circles and lines during the action scene bother me. A whole lot. It doesn't look..... natural if i say so myself. Secondly,  I'm quite disappointed in the execution. It would've been really good. But I feel like it would work better as a series than 3 movies. I'm honestly wondering what made them change direction since it was announced as a series originally. There was just too much crammed in for a short 1 hr and 20 min movie. 

And as a side note. I find the new evolution animation quite Mahou shoujou-ish which is both a turn off and hilarious at the same time. 

There's more to come

I feel like watching more anime now that I've taken a LONG break from it, but I lack the knowledge and interest to go through a million titles to find a good one as I'm rather picky. Recommendations are welcome here.

As a rule of thumb, I dislike highschool things. Love sci-fi/anything flying related. I also Gundam style mechas dull, but not mechs.

Shows I can say I loved are Last Exile, Planetes, Ghost in the Shells, Cowboy bebop, Blue submarine no.6, Spice and Wolf, Joshiraku and Ergo Proxy. Sky crawlers was a cool movie too.

Edited by Sarcastic Coffeecup

I feel like watching more anime now that I've taken a LONG break from it, but I lack the knowledge and interest to go through a million titles to find a good one as I'm rather picky. Recommendations are welcome here.

As a rule of thumb, I dislike highschool things. Love sci-fi/anything flying related. I also Gundam style mechas dull, but not mechs.

Shows I can say I loved are Last Exile, Planetes, Ghost in the Shells, Cowboy bebop, Blue submarine no.6, Spice and Wolf, Joshiraku and Ergo Proxy. Sky crawlers was a cool movie too.

don't watch too much Sci if Anime to be able to recommend ye any, but a few good ones I know of and have watched are psycho pass, code geass,  dennou coil, Terra formars, .hack//, parasyte the maxim and summer wars if ye havent already. Cant think of more atm.

There's more to come

march can't come soon enough. The wait is gonna kill me. 

Edited by yell0wf0x

http://imgur.com/gallery/X8gds

That might help :D

KqpaNcn.jpg

• Like 2

I'll pick up the occasional aminee if it peaks my interest but don't really watch any these days (I'm curious about the new Digimon for the sake of nostalgia though). Some great ones I've watched in recent years that I haven't seen posted:

Kaiba -- It's from the same director who did that Ping Pong anime. It's a really weird and dark story set insanely far into the future where memories can be stored in chips, bought and sold, and put into new bodies. The whole thing is beautifully animated and looks like a saturday morning cartoon despite the subject matter. It's also only like 13 episodes long so it's a good, quick watch.

From the New World (Shin Sekai Yori) -- Based on a Japanese novel of the same name, the series takes place 1000 years into the future where humans have developed telekinesis. The animation in this is kinda crappy; apparently it was a new/poor studio that handled the adaptation. But the story gets REALLY good by the midpoint and it's worth sticking it out.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes -- If there was one chinese cartoon I'd recommend to people, it'd be a toss-up between Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, and this. It's another adaptation, this time of an entire series of novels, and is a space opera on the grandest scale you'll ever see put to screen. It's 110 episodes long, plus a few 26 episode side stories, and 2-3 movies. The series was animated over like a decade, between the late 80s and 90s. If you're curious, then check out the two prequel movies "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars" and "Overture to a New War" before diving into the series.

Will there be a third season of Spice and Wolf?

I honestly tried to get into Spice and Wolf a few years ago because someone told me it was about medieval economics. I lost interest after the first 3-4 eps. Does it get better?

@Imperial Impact Looks interesting, I'll def watch it. 

So, more drama at the anime club, when creepy hat guy recommends episode 6 of No Game No Life, and warns us "some nudity". He forgot to mention it was an extended sequence that lasted half the episode. Also there was a  "touching erogenous zones" scene he forgot to mention. For me, worst of all, he said the universe was destroyed in the game when it was just a hypernova. Lame.

(BtW, I get that NGNL is making fun of tropes...but just because you want to make fun of fanservice tropes doesn't mean you should go ahead and do it--it still functions as normal fanservice, studio.)

So the girls at the club were having none of it, facebook drama ensued, club president says "I understand, but you're being hypocritical because you showed Free". So guys get their fanservicey shows at many club meetings, girls complain, president says "we'll try to make this better, but stop complaining." Girls get their fanservice ONCE, beta guys feel creeped out by teh gay, scandal! Yeah...double standard much? Also, I'm pretty sure Free doesn't involve prepubescent boys being stripped of all clothing by a pervert MC and older sister-senpai making out with younger brother-kun.

Creepy hat guy reacted by insulting the girls, saying basically "if wincest triggers your PTSD, anime isn't for you" which tells me a whole lot about creepy hat guy and what anime he likes.

So, what should I do? Should I run the fuck away from this club, despite there being some cool peeps, or should I recommend some manly anime to cure some of the club members of their pedophilia? Thursday is horror week, and I want to show Berserk.

get outta there!! and start your own anime club: http://gunshowcomic.com/ac/

why did god allow anime to happen

anime is the key to triggering third impact

If you liked Cowboy Bebop, you'd probably like Space Dandy if you've not seen it.

How are these two even remotely related?  One should definitely see and enjoy Cowboy Bebop and one might also enjoy Space Dandy, but I don't in the slightest understand how liking one would lead you to assume the person would like the other.

Did you read what Coffeecup stated? He stated that likes Sci-Fi/Space stuff and listed Cowboy Bebop as an example. Space Dandy has many of the same concepts and ideas as Cowboy Bebop, as well as a similar setting, which makes sense because both series come from the same person - Shinichirō Watanabe. Thus, a similar show from the same person would logically be likely to be enjoyed.

Sure they both have spaceships and take place in outer space, but they are comparable in only the most superficial of aspects.  They differ wildly in regards to tone, theme, story, characters and quality.

Cowboy Bebop is an amazing series that gives us scenes such as this that will stick with viewers for years to come if not the rest of their life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bvxVFatmCE

That is beauty.  That is fucking poetry.  That scene is a wonderful display of uncommonly good minimalist storytelling.  Throughout the series the characters, universe, story, their relationships, and the drama that is caused are made to feel real which causes the audience to more easily become engaged.

Space Dandy is absurdist humor at best.  The subject matter and jokes are predominantly of a juvenile nature and nothing in the story or setting even remotely attempts to make sense.

Look people might like Space Dandy and that is fine.  One is entitled to their own subjective opinion in these matters, but in regards to a comparison with Cowboy Bebop the similarities only go skin deep.

Don't bother, He wants a mech show without any mechas.

Well yes, because there's a clear distinction. 

I don't know why you appear to be spiteful because I said that.

The only mecha show I liked was knights of Sidonia thanks to it's cockpit/functions based on need and realism rather than zazz. Bonus points for sound design. Hated the cgi approach though. 

Will give Heavy object a try, though it looks like it has a plenty of fanservice.

Edited by Sarcastic Coffeecup

Well yes, because there's a clear distinction. 

I don't know why you appear to be spiteful because I said that.

The only mecha show I liked was knights of Sidonia thanks to it's cockpit/functions based on need and realism rather than zazz. Bonus points for sound design. Hated the cgi approach though. 

Will give Heavy object a try, though it looks like it has a plenty of fanservice.

Votoms + OVAs/movies (Mellowlinks is good too)

Dougram

Xabungle

Macross + Do you remember love?

Macross Plus

So I'm still chuggin' through Inuyasha on my nostalgia fueled trip of shame. Well, not really shame, but it's been a strange journey of, "oh wow, this really doesn't hold up that well does it?"

That being said, it has some of the best filler in any anime I've seen. Most of the episodes are fucking hysterical (barring a handful from Season 4 which was all filler and that shit got old FAST)

I remember enjoying the action my first time through in high school, but now I'd say the thing that really makes this work is the love-triangle, even if it's a bit "in your face" at points. I at least care enough about the characters to find the Inu x Kagome x Kikyou drama interesting.

Also started Parasyte the other day, and I'm really diggin' that so far. Last few anime I've watched that were new I wasn't super high on, so I'm glad I found one I think is good.

in that case coffee I'm gonna reiterate my suggestion to watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes, at least the first two movies. There's no mecha, it avoids all those bad anime tropes, there's tons of politicking, and the whole thing is as grounded in reality as you can get 1000yrs into the future (it's just human civilizations, no aliens).

Finally watched the new digimans, was good

I started watching One Punch Man the other day and I'm already caught up, it's amazing. I haven't been this jacked up for an anime in almost three years.  It's like the perfect combination of Gurren Lagann/Kill La Kill and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure on steroids, with frikkin' beautifully done animation to boot. It perfectly illuminates how fucking silly some shonen style animus can get, with stupid overpowered characters that keep on getting stronger to the point of absurdity, canned backstories, and ridiculous character designs. 

The protagonist, Saitama is a really great character. He's pretty much a stand-in for every bland, OP anime protagonist ever, so busted compared to everybody else that he's become completely apathetic to the action that's happening around him. I mean just look at his face.

latest?cb=20140324041430&path-prefix=pro

The way they juxtapose him with all of the "normal" characters that take everything that happens super fucking seriously is brilliant. Also let's face it, the intro is hype AF.

I love mecha, but the mecha anime I have the most respect for is Eureka Seven, mainly due to its characters and how it follows a show, don't tell policy for half the series. Its also the perfect hippie anime.

Anyways, I started One Punch Man. I didn't much like the first episode, but the second was a real hook.

Edited by Battlechili

I don't watch a lot of anime, and there hasn't been too many series that I've followed fully. Currently I'm watching One Punch Man and I'm absolutely loving it.

Some of my other favorites are Fooly Cooly and Trigun. I've been meaning to rewatch Paranoia Agent because I never got too far into it when I was younger but I was interested in it.

So this finally happened:

oktruje.jpg

One Punch Man is incredible. It's funny, Saitama is the most OP character ever and I love how he is essentially a parody of every other OP animu character out there.

I can't wait for the full fight against Boros! Spoiler alert for those who aren't following the manga: It's gonna be epic.

At first I didn't like it either. I liked the concept, but the first couple of episodes were too violent for my taste. I don't like over the top violence that serves no real purpose.

I suppose I should check out OPM at some point. I spent a few hours reading the manga one day six or seven months ago and liked the idea, but I'm kinda surprised it's now the next BIG THING! It was clever and amusing, but not much more than that.

Guess i have to see it in motion.

12 hours ago, 6tails said:

The over the top violence serves to parody and poke fun at the typical superhero genre.

Could be. But Attack on Titan started a lot more violent as well, so it might just be a trend in anime right now. 

But OPM definitely is more carefully planned than other animu and mangos. Fun fact, the artist who turns the webcomic into a manga actually wanted to give Saitama a cooler design and hair. But he changed his mind because the plain look with more detailed facial features when he gets more serious fits the concept better.

Oh also, the world in OPM only has one large continent that has the shape of the city Saitama where ONE comes from :3 Apparently the whole show is full of little details like that ^^ 

1 minute ago, 6tails said:

I thought this was because the webcomic creator asked that Saitama remain very plain looking in the first place, as that's the only visual statement of his being incredibly bored with his power, which is the theme of the webcomic.

It's probably a combination of both. 

Finished Parasyte the other day. Super fucking good anime. Last few episodes really knocked it out of the park; very moving. The philosophy stuff in the final ep was...handled pretty alright, though I have some minor gripes here and there.

But otherwise, great series. Been ages since I watched an anime I legit liked like this.