Fat People

Brass

Sometimes it isn't their "fault" or decision. I'm chubby and I don't eat much. But my genetics say that I must be chubby, I can't get slim as a super sportive woman. And yes, fat people can have those genetics as well. You can make sports and eat not so much but you're still chubby or fat. 

Just a little information I wanted to say. 

I've been trying to lose weight but nothing really seems to take or it takes forever to see even a little result. and this is coming from someone who walks or bikes practically everywhere daily. I'm highly suspect that it's a hormonal thing though :T

1 minute ago, Draconas said:

let me put like this before I fuck off because commenting here was a major mistake.

why live a long miserable life, when you can live an enjoyable one that might make it shorter? that's my mindset

that's some pretty backwards logic there but okay.

honestly there's nothing inherently wrong with being overweight just like there isn't anything inherently wrong with being skinny. but you still have to be smart about it and not do shit to compromise your health especially with being overweight because heart disease and diabetes aren't fun at all

6 minutes ago, Luka said:

Why does a long life implicate misery? I don't get it.

He has a fetish for being fat, and thinks that being forced to be slim and restrained from food would equate to misery, I suppose. 

Sometimes it isn't their "fault" or decision. I'm chubby and I don't eat much. But my genetics say that I must be chubby, I can't get slim as a super sportive woman. And yes, fat people can have those genetics as well. You can make sports and eat not so much but you're still chubby or fat. 

Just a little information I wanted to say. 

I doubt it when people attribute their weight to their genes, because the number of overweight people has increased so quickly in the West that genetic predisposition cannot explain it all. 

Even if someone had a genetic predisposition, it's still not possible to become over weight without eating sufficient food to lay down fat. :\ 

I think the 'it's my genes' argument is pseudoscientific, and usually propounded by people who haven't even had a genetic test to see whether their idea is right. 

Edited by Saxon

28 minutes ago, Draconas said:

why live a long miserable life, when you can live an enjoyable one that might make it shorter? that's my mindset

because there are plenty of ways to live an enjoyable life that does not involve intentionally harming oneself

5 minutes ago, Therapy Sergal said:

Do you enjoy it when people look away, disgusted by your looks ?

I would like to point out how highly unfucking necessary that even was when you don't even have a single fucking iota of a clue what I even look like, I look like any other typical american, no more, no less.

Edited by Draconas

Just now, Gwen said:

@Saxon

Sure, not everyone can say "it's a genetically thing" but some can do. I know it from my doc and other ones should let test it, too. 

I don't understand why a genetic predisposition to being overweight is meant to be an excuse, either. 

Some people are genuinely genetically predisposed to alcoholism. It doesn't mean that society accepts these people are destined to be alcoholic. 

Lots of people with 'obesity genes' don't become overweight. 

41 minutes ago, Draconas said:

I get where Draconas is coming from.

Can I guess that you have a lot of friends who are also fat lifestylers? A lot of lifestylers, in general, tend to get that way when they're having an existential crisis, are lonely, or going through depression and anxiety. Lifestyle groups can provide a source of identity and confidence. And it hurts to have people argue that your identity is somehow less valid than theirs. It's not about the fat, it's about who you are.

That being said, I feel strongly that these sorts of associations should be temporary, and not take over your life. They can get you out of a slump, but they can also lead you to a dead-end in life. I sincerely hope he finds something other than fat culture sometime in the future to expand his horizons.

1 hour ago, kazooie said:

Purposefully harming your own personal health does ultimately affect those who care about you, and it does ultimately affect *you*.

Smokers who get cancer generally have families or friends who care about them - and I'm sure plenty of them told the person to quit already. "It's what I like and I'm not harming anyone" seems hardly like a solid argument, especially once they/their family/society is paying for the chemotherapy, and their loved ones are worrying for their health.

There are plenty of other fetishes out there - trust me. Don't hurt yourself over something so insubstantial.

Why is being fat more of a problem than, say, not living up to your potential in any other way? Every moment you're not doing something to better the world, you can be said to be burdening it. I'm going to make a wild guess that we're not a bunch of athletes with perfect diction who got straight A's in school so they could become top-tier scientists to solve world hunger.

No? Didn't go to the gym today? I know I didn't. So I guess I'm increasing my chance of heart disease, That hurts everyone around me.

Right now there aren't enough people to serve at the local homeless shelter. I could be there, right now, serving food, but I'm not, I'm posting on a forum for people who are animals. There are people who could depend on me, right now, that I'm not helping.

Long story short, it's hubris to judge people for how useful or unuseful they are unless we are paragons of humanity.

Edited by jcstinks
i spelled worsd wrong
  • Like 1

I'd like to point out that Gwen's claim, that having a genetic predisposition to weight-gain means exercise cannot prevent weight-gain, is demonstrably wrong. 

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/genes-and-obesity/#references

. Andreasen CH, Stender-Petersen KL, Mogensen MS, et al. Low physical activity accentuates the effect of the FTO rs9939609 polymorphism on body fat accumulation. Diabetes. 2008; 57:95–101.

9 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I doubt it when people attribute their weight to their genes, because the number of overweight people has increased so quickly in the West that genetic predisposition cannot explain it all. 

Even if someone had a genetic predisposition, it's still not possible to become over weight without eating sufficient food to lay down fat. :\

eh, it depends because there are certain endocrine conditions that do make it difficult to lose weight. it doesn't always make losing weight impossible but it does make it considerably harder to work for more payoff. but also most people with a predisposition to weight problems at least know they have a problem and try to maintain what they have.

that being said, obesity has become more of an issue because cheap, unhealthy food is not only inexpensive but you get more whereas organic food is way more expensive. at least in the US. and even then our "organic" produce is loaded with shit. obesity is also an issue in schools for the same reason and we even have mandatory physical education.

on top of that, gym memberships are expensive and most people don't live in a place where they can just walk or bike everywhere.

3 minutes ago, kazooie said:

I tried so hard to get you to that YMCA.

You live a literal five minute walk away, jesus christ.

You don't even have to do that. I mean I don't exercise for shit but I maintain my current weight (which is think is slightly overweight but that's pretty normal) simply by cutting down on shit whenever it occurs to me to do so.

I still drink way too much pepsi though but that's another issue.

43 minutes ago, Luka said:

I don't think it's the long life that implicates misery, I think it's the fact that they have to practice some sort of self control to maintain a long life that makes them miserable.

I have to run my dogs every day and eat a healthy diet not to become disgustingly obese. I don't want grilled chicken and vegetables for dinner, I want Burger King.

Just now, PastryOfApathy said:

You don't even have to do that. I mean I don't exercise for shit but I maintain my current weight (which is think is slightly overweight but that's pretty normal) simply by cutting down on shit whenever it occurs to me to do so.

I still drink way too much pepsi though but that's another issue.

jc has a dumpster-bordering trashcan garbage diet, and also exercise has a ton of side-benefits (its almost as if our species evolved to physically move around a lot???)

Also, considering your pepsi intake, I'd guess that your metabolism is pretty fast, so yeah, for your case I can see that. Once that metabolism starts to slow, though, you're gonna baloon, son, if you don't cut down on that shit and if you don't start hittin' the pavement/gym.

1 minute ago, kazooie said:

jc has a dumpster-bordering trashcan garbage diet, and also exercise has a ton of side-benefits (its almost as if our species evolved to physically move around a lot???)

I haven't gotten out of my chair in six hours other than to get a can of spicy chicken soup. It was really good.

18 minutes ago, willow said:

eh, it depends because there are certain endocrine conditions that do make it difficult to lose weight. it doesn't always make losing weight impossible but it does make it considerably harder to work for more payoff. but also most people with a predisposition to weight problems at least know they have a problem and try to maintain what they have.

that being said, obesity has become more of an issue because cheap, unhealthy food is not only inexpensive but you get more whereas organic food is way more expensive. at least in the US. and even then our "organic" produce is loaded with shit. obesity is also an issue in schools for the same reason and we even have mandatory physical education.

on top of that, gym memberships are expensive and most people don't live in a place where they can just walk or bike everywhere.

I think the waters ar ebeing muddied here. Not all endocrine conditions are necessarily genetic, for example a gland that produces hormones might be damaged by an injury. I was discussing people's suggestions about exercise and 'fat genes'. 

Organic food is not healthier than food sprayed with pesticides, just a lot more expensive. I think you're confusing two different debates here. 

Mandatory physical education does not surprise me, all countries should have that in schools. 

17 minutes ago, kazooie said:

Also, considering your pepsi intake, I'd guess that your metabolism is pretty fast, so yeah, for your case I can see that. Once that metabolism starts to slow, though, you're gonna baloon, son, if you don't cut down on that shit and if you don't start hittin' the pavement/gym.

I know, but I'll deal with it when I feel like it.

Just now, Saxon said:

I think the waters ar ebeing muddied here. Not all endocrine conditions are necessarily genetic, for example a gland that produces hormones might be damaged by an injury. I was discussing people's suggestions about exercise and 'fat genes'. 

Organic food is not healthier than food sprayed with pesticides, just a lot more expensive. I think you're confusing two different debates here. 

Mandatory physical education does not surprise me, all countries should have that in schools. 

true. I'm not totally disagreeing though.

and by organic, I mean that it hasn't been modified for some reason. you can still debate whether or not GMOs are actually unhealthy but compared to organic stuff, it's usually cheaper. beef is the other problem.

57 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I'd like to point out that Gwen's claim, that having a genetic predisposition to weight-gain means exercise cannot prevent weight-gain, is demonstrably wrong. 

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/genes-and-obesity/#references

. Andreasen CH, Stender-Petersen KL, Mogensen MS, et al. Low physical activity accentuates the effect of the FTO rs9939609 polymorphism on body fat accumulation. Diabetes. 2008; 57:95–101.

I've said that it's NOT an excuse, it's one of many reasons. 

1 hour ago, Gwen said:

I think you don't understand me. It's not an excuse but it's a reason for some people with more weight than other ones. There are also people which like it to be fat, I know but not everyone. 

I was specifically dismantling your claim that, if you had a genetic predisposition towards obesity, exercise could not prevent it. It can. 

true. I'm not totally disagreeing though.

and by organic, I mean that it hasn't been modified for some reason. you can still debate whether or not GMOs are actually unhealthy but compared to organic stuff, it's usually cheaper. beef is the other problem.

There is no debate about GMO*, because they've been used for decades now, without any study ever revealing any health disadvantages. 

Whether food is organic of genetically modified is not the issue. It is the quantity and type of food people in the west eat. Too much fat, too much sugar, too much meat and too much salt. 

*http://www.aaas.org/sites/default/files/AAAS_GM_statement.pdf

Edited by Saxon

1 hour ago, Luka said:

life is pain waa

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

I do actually feel sorry for people who have a fat fetish, because obviously they haven't chosen that. 

i like the look and feel of fat (to a degree) on other people, but i like average sized people too. doesnt bug me.

i do feel a little bad for feedees though, who actively want to get fat/obese/immobile *guelphs*

1 minute ago, Gwen said:

Sure it can but it's very difficult and for those with healthy problems it's like hell. Many try but it's more difficult than for people without these genes. Do you understand? 

I agree with the bold. The underlined text is not always true, because some studies have revealed that at least some 'obesity genes' have no perceptible affect on active people, compared to an active control group without the gene. 

I don't know if you read the report I referred to. 

Yes, I've read a little bit.

Ok, I didn't know that. I'm telling just from experiences and what I've learned. I do sports like riding horses or taekwondo and I'm still chubby. I don't want to know how I would looking like if I wouldn't do any sports. And I'm not the only one doing so. My friend is chubby as well but he plays ice-hockey and do some other sporty things. He love sports and fitness. But it doesn't make him slim/skinny.

Edited by Gwen
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gwen said:

Yes, I've read a little bit.

Ok, I didn't know that. I'm telling just from experiences and what I've learned. I do sports like riding horses or taekwondo and I'm still chubby. I don't want to know how I would looking like if I wouldn't do any sports. And I'm not the only one doing so. My friend is chubby as well but he plays ice-hockey and do some other sporty things. He love sports and fitness. But it doesn't make him slim/skinny.

He needs to not eat fatty foods and indulge in not being an oinker!

Though, most of us make choices that have the potential to shorten our lives, to varying degrees. Some of these choices are just more subtle or more easily taken-for-granted than others.

For example, even if you're thin and you don't eat junk, leading a mostly-sedentary lifestyle is a huge health risk.

Most of us also cavalierly interact with chemicals, food ingredients, and household items known to be carcinogenic or otherwise potentially dangerous.

It's just easier to point the finger at fat people, heavy drinkers, smokers, and the like.

Obesity absolutely carries significant health risks, especially when combined with other genetic and lifestyle risk factors.

But, if someone has acknowledged the possible risks associated with their choices, has expressed willingness to deal with the consequences of those choices, and has agreed not to dump said consequences on other people, I say, godspeed and good luck to 'em.

After all, my sense is that most fat people endure lectures, sneers, or jeers about their health fairly often, in one form or another. While many people are certainly in denial about their own health or their own health choices, I'd say very few are totally ignorant of the consequences of being overweight in general.

Edited by Troj
  • Like 2

@Draconas I've been looking at your Furaffinity. You were banned? People keep mentioning to leave you alone on your shouts? What the fuck drama did I miss back in 2012?! Oh, looks like you have an ED page...

You were friends with Wolfee Darkfang? Whatever happened to that guy anyway? I forget most of the shit that happened back then.
Damn man, this is rough. Do you still have ED people stalking you?

1 hour ago, Troj said:

Though, most of us make choices that have the potential to shorten our lives, to varying degrees. Some of these choices are just more subtle or more easily taken-for-granted than others.

For example, even if you're thin and you don't eat junk, leading a mostly-sedentary lifestyle is a huge health risk.

Most of us also cavalierly interact with chemicals, food ingredients, and household items known to be carcinogenic or otherwise potentially dangerous.

It's just easier to point the finger at fat people, heavy drinkers, smokers, and the like.

Obesity absolutely carries significant health risks, especially when combined with other genetic and lifestyle risk factors.

But, if someone has acknowledged the possible risks associated with their choices, has expressed willingness to deal with the consequences of those choices, and has agreed not to dump said consequences on other people, I say, godspeed and good luck to 'em.

After all, my sense is that most fat people endure lectures, sneers, or jeers about their health fairly often, in one form or another. While many people are certainly in denial about their own health or their own health choices, I'd say very few are totally ignorant of the consequences of being overweight in general.

I recall you also said you supported people who want to cut their legs off, so...yeah. 

People who don't exercise should also get up and do something about it. That's why I like to walk around town and use an exercise bike. 

Just because one group is unhealthy, doesn't suddenly provide an excuse for a bunch of other unhealthy activities to be safe guarded from criticism. 

1 hour ago, Troj said:

I just made this post.

1 hour ago, Saxon said:

Just because one group is unhealthy, doesn't suddenly provide an excuse for a bunch of other unhealthy activities to be safe guarded from criticism. 

Agreed.

Unlike much of the fat acceptance crowd, I strongly object to gilding the lily about obesity in order to spare people's feelings. Sorry, people, but your doctor is obligated to issue a warning when you fall above or below a certain weight. It's nothing personal, and no, he's not going to stop just because the information offends you.

What annoys me, though, is how fat people are regularly singled out and made into society's whipping boys. I don't like the smugness and the hypocrisy that seem to drive anti-fat sentiment much of the time. It seems like too many people use fatties to distance themselves from their own sins, much like fundagelicals use gays or poor people as scapegoats.

My other point is that most fat people have already been told several times that they're disgusting, unhealthy, and/or going to die, so you're likely not telling them anything new or groundbreaking when you also tell them that they're disgusting, unhealthy, or going to die. At a certain point, you should save your breath and cut your losses.

People also need to stop kidding themselves when their "health advice" to a fat person is actually just thinly-veiled trolling.

Fundamentally, I support people being able to make choices about their own lives, even if those choices are stupid, unhealthy, unsafe, risky, or silly from an external point of view.

Edited by Troj
  • Like 1

• Zeke locked this topic