New low US Police

Kinharia

So casually reading a few articles when this popped up

"

A Chicago policeman who shot dead a teenager and accidentally killed a neighbour is seeking $10m (£7m) damages from the boy's family.

Robert Rialmo claimed the shooting in Chicago on 26 December left him traumatised.

The officer has now filed a lawsuit against the relatives of 19-year-old black student Quintonio LeGrier.

"

I don't care if that person was an actual threat. To go and sue his family is a fucking LOW.

• Like 3

"A white Chicago police officer..."

Alright that's all I really needed to hear. Fucker's probably an actual honest-to-god asshole, and reading the article just shows that this lawsuit is simply an ill-advised publicity stunt on the side of the defense to show that police officers "suffer damage like anybody else", which while true and somewhat admirable considering the increase in anti-police sentiment in this country, is demonstrated in literally the dumbest and most offensive way possible.

Honestly I think the greatest shame in all this is that the victims (who for once I think may actually be legitimate well...victims) are gonna be lumped in with a bunch of rapists, thieves and wife-beaters that 'DINDU NUTHIN' to act as martyrs for racist, self-serving lynch mobs.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Saxon said:

@PastryOfApathy I agree with your sentiment. It baffles me that, complaining of psychological trauma, a policeman who definitely shot at least 1 person unjustifiably and accidentally, would seek monetary compensation from the family of a teenager he slaughtered.

You would expect that a policeman suffering from trauma would justifiably want his police force to provide him with counseling...but how is $10m going to fix his problem? If you really did feel morally compromised about accidentally killing someone, why would copious amounts of money make things all better?

He just sounds like an opportunistic asshole. 

The 10m I believe is the most they can possibly ask for legally in this case (of course I'm speaking out of my ass here so I'm probably wrong about something if not everything), although it's ultimately irrelevant since the goal is to reach some kind of monetary settlement before anything ever sees a courtroom.

As for why he'd need the money, it's presumably for cost of living while he takes some kind of extended leave and for psychiatric treatment and the fees that go along with it.

Edited by PastryOfApathy

1 minute ago, Luka said:

America's sue-happy culture has always befuddled me.

I'd be hesitant of simply existing near someone the wrong way out of fear of a lawsuit.

Pretty much this. It's such a long and expensive hassle here that you really don't just casually sue someone because i dunno they looked at you funny that one time.

You take them to court when they screw all their staff out of thousands of dollars .... MAYBE I'm still trying to get that through the heads of people i used to work with. Law systems are weird and i don't understand them, I also don't understand why people are afraid to use them correctly but will jump the gun on entirely the wrong issue. Cultural differences between predominantly white English speaking countries!? Bizarre.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luka said:

America's sue-happy culture has always befuddled me.

I'd be hesitant of simply existing near someone the wrong way out of fear of a lawsuit.

Oh but my dear, that's the best way to get rich quick! Sue the fuck out of someone, but if you want that quick BIG sack of cash, sue a company!

You hear about the shithead trying to sue McDonald's under false advertising, saying the cheese in their mozzarella sticks isn't 100% real cheese? He wants $5 million in damages. You can't make this shit up.

inb4 somebody jumps into this thread crying "but-but earlier you guys said cops were good!" 

My opinion of cops hinges entirely on whether or not they do their job, and whether or not they justly use the power given to them. It's "to Protect and to Serve", not "to Bully and Abuse".

• Like 2

Somehow, I secretly feel that suing for court is just a way to divert attention from the fact the cop shot and killed the teenager

But let's be real here. Shooting someone can leave you traumatized. I believe that. But should you sue 10 million dollars from the family of  the killed person? Absolutely NOT! That is downright immoral in my opinion. The cop may have what he had to do as a cop but he has already screwed up bad as a citizen and an individual with the outrageous law suit. And what is 10 million dollars going to get you? Definitely MUCH MUCH more than the real counseling he needs.

Also, a link to the article for the interested

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/02/07/after-killing-college-student-and-55-year-old-mother-cop-sues-for-extreme-emotional-trauma/

1 minute ago, KryptoKroenen said:

I kind of prefer to focus on real world issues that effect the lot of us instead of wasting time sobbing over some random guy who nobody cares about dying.

OK, you go and do that.

OT I kinda feel like if you decide you want to be a police officer, you know what you're getting into. Especially in the US. At some point they know they will HAVE to shoot someone to protect either themselves or another person (or because they're a trigger happy asshole). If you know you can't stand to have to kill someone AT SOME POINT, why go into the profession?

2 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

Technically I'm in a condo. 

Ahem. It's not a real house. It's an imaginary house. The house is an idea, not an actual house. It's a way of saying that someone is here... You know...

God forbid, I would never be in a house with you people. >.>

3 minutes ago, Half-Note said:

Ahem. It's not a real house. It's an imaginary house. The house is an idea, not an actual house. It's a way of saying that someone is here... You know...

God forbid, I would never be in a house with you people. >.>

Yo dis be like Play-doh wit da cave. 

Yikes, it didn't take long for this thread to start jumping off the rails already.

4 minutes ago, Half-Note said:

Truer words.

Never spoken.

Regarding those words... sadly as abrasive and rude our fishy friend can be, he's kind of got a point. I think any sort of violence is equally heinous no matter who it is committed against, especially if that person is innocent. I understand the rational behind getting more up in arms about violence against minority groups, especially since trans people in particular have astounding statistics for violence and hate crimes committed against them, but honestly giving certain groups preferential treatment is no better than treating them poorly in the long run. Everybody should be viewed as equals in the eyes of society and the law.

3 hours ago, 6tails said:

Well, in this case, false advertising is indeed false advertising. If those cheese sticks can be proven to have starch in the cheese, that is beyond what is allowed for the federal classification of mozzarella cheese. Odds are he has a relevant case to make. However, I suspect what will be determined is that some franchise-operated McDonalds got caught using non-standard stuff that had starch as a filler. As far as franchise agreements typically work, you agree to abide by the regulations, procedures, and recipes of the corporate chains. To deviate from that for a given amount of time without Corporate checking/making sure, the fault lies upon corporate for not enforcing their contractual agreements, plus on the franchisee for breaking the agreement.

The only part I think is bullshit is demanding $5mil for damages... what damages? Did Ronald McDonald enter your private property and smash shit up? Did he make fun of your teeny peeny? Did you suffer a catastrophic mental psychosis because you don't think the cheese dicks are legit?

How I turned a $1 + tax purchase into five million dollar profit.

2 hours ago, MuttButt said:

Yikes, it didn't take long for this thread to start jumping off the rails already.

Regarding those words... sadly as abrasive and rude our fishy friend can be, he's kind of got a point. I think any sort of violence is equally heinous no matter who it is committed against, especially if that person is innocent. I understand the rational behind getting more up in arms about violence against minority groups, especially since trans people in particular have astounding statistics for violence and hate crimes committed against them, but honestly giving certain groups preferential treatment is no better than treating them poorly in the long run. Everybody should be viewed as equals in the eyes of society and the law.

In an ideal society, of course. The US is far from ideal in any means. I think Jeff Daniels put it best. 

https://youtu.be/VMqcLUqYqrs?t=1m38s

(merged the two - Lemon)

On 2/8/2016 at 2:07 PM, MuttButt said:

But alas, racial violence against the majority white population is ignored under the pretense of "privilege".

But real talk (1 2 3, you better not fuck with me. That's a song by Fabulous, by the way), I think all groups; crackers, niggers, kikes, ragheads, spics and gooks, deserve equal treatment.

Equal treatment means you have to look past all the race stuff and come to the middle ground of "We're all humans despite your high or low melanin count". That means, everyone benefits from the same thing without bias.

Will that happen? In the future perhaps. Will it happen now? Nope. Tribalism's in our blood. We have to set ourselves apart from "them" in ay way, shape or form. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Equal treatment means you have to look past all the race stuff and come to the middle ground of "We're all humans despite your high or low melanin count". That means, everyone benefits from the same thing without bias.

Will that happen? In the future perhaps. Will it happen now? Nope. Tribalism's in our blood. We have to set ourselves apart from "them" in ay way, shape or form. 

I agree, but despite the white man and the Jew being to blame for many a things many generations ago, a lot of people need to realize that it's not just those that are capable of racist behavior.

38 minutes ago, Alexxx-Returns said:

OT I kinda feel like if you decide you want to be a police officer, you know what you're getting into. Especially in the US. At some point they know they will HAVE to shoot someone to protect either themselves or another person (or because they're a trigger happy asshole). If you know you can't stand to have to kill someone AT SOME POINT, why go into the profession?

Hence why possibility of an emotional trauma should be taken as part of the job and free counseling should be provided in case it does happen. It should not be an exception you sue for, particularly if free counseling is already provided and that that the family which you sue is already a victim before the court trial had even begun

such is life in Chi-Town. people have been doing this for years to get out of trouble so I'm not surprised by this either

Just now, Half-Note said:

But alas, racial violence against the majority white population is ignored under the pretense of "privilege".

to be fair, if a white person is killed due to racial violence, there's a full fledged investigation. the killer is caught, they're tried, and go to jail.
and it's rare that the victim's background is called into question too unless there's insurmountable proof they did something bad. none of this "smoked weed and fought a cop when they were 15. also jaywalks" stuff.

now that's actually privilege

22 minutes ago, willow said:

such is life in Chi-Town. people have been doing this for years to get out of trouble so I'm not surprised by this either

to be fair, if a white person is killed due to racial violence, there's a full fledged investigation. the killer is caught, they're tried, and go to jail.
and it's rare that the victim's background is called into question too unless there's insurmountable proof they did something bad. none of this "smoked weed and fought a cop when they were 15. also jaywalks" stuff.

now that's actually privilege

Well I wish I was black so that I could get a special quote for university/college

Edited by Half-Note
Clarification

26 minutes ago, Half-Note said:

Well I wish I was black so that I could get a special quote for university/college

You have to hold a high GPA in high school before you can get one of those special quotes. 

Not to get too much off track, the fact that the police officer is suing for his "Dun goof'd" moment is hilariously ridiculous. I do hope it gets thrown out. It's like peeing on someone corpse. 

45 minutes ago, Zeke said:

And tribalism will remain in our blood so long as diversity of race continues to exist...it's an evolutionary instinct that helps us to survive and progress.

1 minute ago, Zeke said:

You have to hold a high GPA in high school before you can get one of those special quotes. 

lol, fuck AA... ¬¬

33 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Wait, what?

Okay... Maybe I'll just stop complaining about diversity quotas. =D

Except for those that are actually holding off room for minorities, like in Norway. Ick.

Edited by Half-Note

3 minutes ago, malibu said:

Well damn.  I mean sure America has a history of slavery, barely managed basic LGBT rights with it's constitution, nearly last a war to it's own hillbilly states, has the highest per capita number of imprisoned citizens in the western world, and believes that global warming is 'a test of faith created by sweet baby Jesus', but there's finally something good to say about them; Their McDonalds has cheese sticks.

Instead of draining this with bitcoin, let's detail this with the second amendment. Everyone should have guns, then police will be afraid to randomly shoot people, or cops will be shot back at until they calm down with their abuse of power. Notice how police reacted to the unarmed Occupy protests, vs armed Bundy protests.

31 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I'm like 100% sure that this is already a thing and that that is why this is a thing:
15659971-standard.jpg

.50 BMG says "Fuck You" to those bullet-proof windows. ;) In fact, you could probably buy armor-piercing ammo for your average hunting rifle to make it pierce that thing...er...the windows at least.

Edited by KryptoKroenen

The little one-horse town I live in has a population comfortably around 8000, and somehow our police have an armored truck like that... and a helicopter, and yet we still don't have proper sidewalks.

America gets more confusing the longer I live here

Edited by Eggdodger
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Eggdodger said:

The little one-horse town I live in has a population comfortably around 10000, and somehow our police have an armored truck like that... and a helicopter, and yet we still don't have proper sidewalks.

America gets more confusing the longer I live here

But the police offer free helicopter rides to people who are too drunk to drive home, right???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I'm like 100% sure that this is already a thing and that that is why this is a thing:
15659971-standard.jpg

I thought it was more to justify the US police department's budget which is why they always play dress up as a paramilitary force these days.

3 hours ago, KryptoKroenen said:

.50 BMG says "Fuck You" to those bullet-proof windows. ;) In fact, you could probably buy armor-piercing ammo for your average hunting rifle to make it pierce that thing...er...the windows at least.

I thought those windows were supposed to be rated for taking that type of projectile that being said,

I'm pretty sure the fun police (ATF) has already put a ban on AP ammunition, making your own on the other hand..

Also Improvised shaped charges or IEDs should be more effective however, since it's not designed for that sort of abuse.