TrishaCat

We've gone too far into the abyss. There is no turning back from the hell that has been unleashed.

http://imgur.com/a/UWMs3

qbLaoeH.jpg

http://amagicrobot.tumblr.com/post/139520237623/in-case-you-didnt-believe-me-earlier

WE WILL FERMENT IN LOVE'S PICKLE BARREL ALL OF OUR DAYS

In all seriousness though, I've grown increasingly disillusioned with Nintendo of America these past few months and my opinion of them keeps lowering lower and lower the more information I find out about their localization decisions.

Several years ago, there were minor things going on. In Fire Emblem Awakening, bonus DLC for Tharja's outfit was edited to cover up her butt, as she was in a bikini and the camera view showed it. A relatively simple change, and perhaps slightly bothersome, but no biggie, right? Something similar happened with Bravely Default. Several characters had skimpy outfits replaced with less skimpy outfits since the characters look childlike. Okay, a simple change and potentially bothersome, but understandable right? Fast forward to 2015. Fatal Frame 5 is being localized. Sweet, people were worried this wouldn't come over. But before I explain that one, there needs to be a bit of context given. Currently, Wii U's either have 8 gigabytes of space or 32 gigabytes of space. The trick is that games don't need to be installed on a Wii U, so this is great news. But NoA decided to bring it over digital only. The game's file size is in the teens, so now only people with certain Wii Us can play it. But that's not all. Several bonus outfits that were rather skimpy in nature were removed and replaced with Nintendo character outfits. Fatal Frame is a horror game, and the new outfits in question don't really fit the game's story. And these edits extend to the story, as several cutscenes showing the main character posing in front of a camera in skimpy outfits were edited to make them less skimpy. This might make a bit of sense, but the thing is, is that the game is already rated M for mature, and to add to that, Fatal Frame's story is about an idol who's uncomfortable with how she's treated and feels like she's being used. By changing this content in the cutscenes, it weakens the uncomfortableness of the scenes in question and thus weakens the story. 

But that's not all. Shortly after Fatal Frame 5's release, Xenoblade Chronicles X came out. But a few things were edited and changed from that. Several skimpy outfits were removed for both male and female characters, with special focus on Lin, the youngest character of the group to ensure she isn't sexualized. To add to this, a breast slider in character creation screen when you start the game was removed, thus removing some level of character customization. Fairly small changes, but still potentially annoying, if understandable.

And finally, the mother of all localizations is about to come out. Fire Emblem Fates. Oh boy, where do I start....

The first and most quickly discovered changes for Fire Emblem Fates were first that a scene where a character slips a magic powder that makes women appear to be men into a lesbian girl's drink in order to help her overcome her fear and discomfort around other girls. This could be seen as drugging someone which is a HUGE nono so that's been edited to not work out that way.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/41814/fire-emblem-fates-changes-controversial-support-conversation-in-western-regions

And the second most quickly discovered change being that minigames or "skinships" as they're called, that allowed the player to use the touch screen to rub other characters' faces/heads for periods of time and get a whole bunch of related dialogue were cut down in size tremendously and now disallow the player from actually "petting" said characters so to speak.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-16-fire-emblem-fates-face-petting-mini-game-removed

But that's not all. A little while later on, it was discovered that in Fire Emblem Fates' English release, there will not be dual audio, despite the fact that Fire Emblem Awakening featured dual audio.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/5/10925232/fire-emblem-fates-japanese-language-dual-audio-western-release

Then recently a bunch of weird dialogue changes were discovered that significantly change character personalities from their original versions to more jokey, memey dialogue. And example of such can be seen above, although its hardly the only example of it. Another:

SQPvrPV.thumb.jpg.53e12a25338ff1d4dd6c0f

And then someone managed to dig into the in-game files and discovered something alarming: The original Japanese version of the game had a total of 3196 audio files. The NoA version has 1208 audio files in it, meaning a total of 1988 audio clips are totally cut from the game as can be seen in the imgur link up at the top of this post. That's a HUGE amount of content. 

And it doesn't just stop with Fire Emblem Fates. People are starting to find out information of the upcoming release for Bravely Second. For example, an outfit that was supposed to be an "Indian outfit" was replaced with a cowboy one, and one of the characters who had this class was given a southern accent to seem more cowboy like. I don't know if this is censorship of fear of cultural appropriation, or just done because NoA thought it fit better (the character uses a gun), but at the very least its a strange change.

Long story short, NoA has been making a lot of edits, content cutting, and changes to video games that I don't like on almost exclusively video games that I was previously excited for and interested in, and they're doing so with no sign of stopping and many people even encouraging such practices. I really, REALLY hate Nintendo of America and can't bring myself to buy any of these games I was previously excited for (at least not new anyways) since I can't support this kind of localization. But it just keeps happening! :(

Edited by Battlechili

LolDidntRead01.gif.dccbb84dc029ac77000d2

Ok, maybe I actually did.

I don't really agree there is much of a problem with some of those localization choices; especially the outfits and the choice of how to release it (they honestly can't expect strong sales for niche products) but dear lord that dialog set in the first picture is awful!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DrGravitas said:

Ok, maybe I actually did.

I don't really agree there is much of a problem with some of those localization choices; especially the outfits and the choice of how to release it (they honestly can't expect strong sales for niche products) but dear lord that dialog set in the first picture is awful!

I just...The niche audiences these games are aimed at are the sorts that already know and understand that the games they are playing are Japanese and that the Japanese culture isn't the same as the US one. A lot of these changes seem unnecessary to me, and I can't see it doing much good except for alienating some fans away from the series. I certainly don't see the changes bringing in more fans at least. If anything, even while potentially discomforting, none of the content that's been removed/changed is illegal or anything that'd even push up the age rating on these games. Plus I just hate the idea of cut content and censorship in general, as I feel it sets a precedent for other companies to follow and discourages content creators while making it seem as if NoA thinks it knows better than the original developers. I like really strict extremely accurate translations and seeing changes like this infuriate me.

Edited by Battlechili

a character slips a magic powder that makes women appear to be men into a lesbian girl's drink in order to help her overcome her fear and discomfort around other girls.

the protagonist gives a lesbian a drug that de-lesbianifies them and makes them fall in love with the protagonist.

it was pretty weird

Edited by kazooie
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

I've been hearing about this over the months.

You know the solution, OP. Stop buying games from those whose practices you disagree with. Or just don't buy the particular game.

Of course! I certainly haven't been buying them, and I've even gone so far as to send NoA emails explaining why I haven't. I just wish more people wouldn't buy them, because if after all these months and all the complaints that have happened they're still doing this sort of stuff I feel like nothing will come of it and it'll just keep happening to all the games I've been looking forward to. I resent NoA for this.

the protagonist gives a lesbian a drug that de-lesbianifies them and makes them fall in love with the protagonist.

it was pretty weird

I mean, it was weird yeah, but should it really have been removed?

Edited by Battlechili

Just now, Battlechili said:

Of course! I certainly haven't been buying them, and I've even gone so far as to send NoA emails explaining why I haven't. I just wish more people wouldn't buy them, because if after all these months and all the complaints that have happened they're still doing this sort of stuff I feel like nothing will come of it and it'll just keep happening to all the games I've been looking forward to. I resent NoA for this.

Hey that's fine, I'm glad you're on board. There's a few games I refused to buy and a few publishers I refuse to buy from. I have and will continue to have a poor opinion of Nintendo until they release another decent Metroid game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clove Darkwave said:

Hey that's fine, I'm glad you're on board. There's a few games I refused to buy and a few publishers I refuse to buy from. I have and will continue to have a poor opinion of Nintendo until they release another decent Metroid game.

Hey, at least you have this! /s

*cries*

Edited by Battlechili
  • Like 1

The only reason that came to mind as to why we didn't get dual audio for the game is because they couldn't get / pay the licensing for the Japanese VA who did the singing for Azura. Japan has some really crazy licensing shtick over there when it comes to any of their singers or really top of the line VA's who charge ridiculous amounts for their voice to be used or will often just not allow their voice outside of Japan.

Same reason as to why  when it came to dual audio, the japanese opening for Tales of Zestiria became an instrumental for that exact reason, Namco couldn't afford the cost to make it justifiable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Battlechili said:

Isn't it possible that, you know, some people still buy the games because they enjoy them?

Other people are allowed to have fun.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Naesaki said:

The only reason that came to mind as to why we didn't get dual audio for the game is because they couldn't get / pay the licensing for the Japanese VA who did the singing for Azura. Japan has some really crazy licensing shtick over there when it comes to any of their singers or really top of the line VA's who charge ridiculous amounts for their voice to be used or will often just not allow their voice outside of Japan.

Same reason as to why  when it came to dual audio, the japanese opening for Tales of Zestiria became an instrumental for that exact reason, Namco couldn't afford the cost to make it justifiable.

No, Namco was too lazy to re-buy the rights for the song.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Luca said:

memes need to be stopped, anywhere and everywhere.

I hate how prevalent internet memes have become in almost every form of media. What could have been otherwise meaningful and original dialogue and text becomes vapid and kitsch. I find myself investing lesser and lesser in contemporary media for this reason....

I've been playing the game for a few hours, It's not a horrible cringe fest at least 5 hours in. The dialogues not terrible. Really. I'm sure some lines will suck, but really people have been cherry picking this issue for weeks.

I want an ideal localization team as much as the next person, but the people boycotting this game don't realize the more likely outcome of this game not selling... they could not give us the next one. Capcom doesn't localize game that WOULD sell here for am profit. Localization isn't cheap and they could honestly interpret this as a means to just keep future games in japan and save money doing it. I honestly think this will happen instead of the problems we have now getting fixed.

Edited by Luca
  • Like 3

OP why are you still complaining about this you done this before in another thread and the same reasons have been given out. I've played games that are censored. To be honest some games are far better censored out. Example Mugen Souls. The humor is still there with the censorship.

Edited by RTDragon

I could understand if the issue was they drastically changed a character's dialogue or completely changed an arc to avoid controversy, but most of the complaints I hear about the localization of this game are...weird. especially since a lot of the complaints stem from the fact that people can't pet characters which is pretty creepy tbh.

I'd also like to throw out that localizing games and retaining the original context is really hard.

• Like 7

Those all honestly seem like very nitpicky things, like if those minor changes can ruin a game for you, you must play an exceptionally high quality of games to have to focus on such minor things. Actual worthwhile things to complain are unplayable ports of games because shitty frame rate or optimization. Compared to those actual issues, complaining about not seeing Muh Bikini Butt and being unable to pet your allies is pretty trivial. 

Honestly the petting game would alienate way more people who just got into the series/ people who like the series because of the strategy than taking it out does. Not everyone who plays the fire emblem games wants or expects a visual novel esque petting game in their fire emblem. American culture as a whole still finds this bizarre and strange, kind of like how the level of violence in american things can be seen as too extreme in other places. Some things aren't meant for all audiences and heavy petting is one of those things.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2016 at 4:13 PM, Luca said:

I've been playing the game for a few hours, It's not a horrible cringe fest at least 5 hours in. The dialogues not terrible. Really. I'm sure some lines will suck, but really people have been cherry picking this issue for weeks.

I want an ideal localization team as much as the next person, but the people boycotting this game don't realize the more likely outcome of this game not selling... they could not give us the next one. Capcom doesn't localize game that WOULD sell here for am profit. Localization isn't cheap and they could honestly interpret this as a means to just keep future games in japan and save money doing it. I honestly think this will happen instead of the problems we have now getting fixed.

But if the game was never localized by NoA in the first place, wouldn't other companies that touch smaller titles get a chance to bring it over then? Like, I know Pandora's Tower and Last Story are both technically owned by Nintendo, but XSeed brought it over in the West since NoA didn't (despite that NoE brought them both over to Europe). I figured if NoA stopped bringing these games over, someone else would do the job. I mean a hell of a lot weaker less unknown series get brought over all the time.

I will admit that such is speculation though, and like you said, Capcom has refused to bring some neat titles over (I wanted to play E.X. Troopers :( ). I just don't think such would happen with FE.

On 2/20/2016 at 11:00 PM, AlastairSnowpaw said:

Those all honestly seem like very nitpicky things, like if those minor changes can ruin a game for you, you must play an exceptionally high quality of games to have to focus on such minor things. Actual worthwhile things to complain are unplayable ports of games because shitty frame rate or optimization. Compared to those actual issues, complaining about not seeing Muh Bikini Butt and being unable to pet your allies is pretty trivial. 

Honestly the petting game would alienate way more people who just got into the series/ people who like the series because of the strategy than taking it out does. Not everyone who plays the fire emblem games wants or expects a visual novel esque petting game in their fire emblem. American culture as a whole still finds this bizarre and strange, kind of like how the level of violence in american things can be seen as too extreme in other places. Some things aren't meant for all audiences and heavy petting is one of those things.

Well its not really about the quality of the game to me. These changes could objectively improve the game and I'd be upset. Its more about the principle of the thing to me. I hate innaccurate translations and cut/changed content. If I'm not playing the exact same game the people in Japan were, but in English, it bothers me. Its also because of things like this that I'll even actively go out and buy BAD games if I hear that they were censored and later got an uncut re-release (Monster Monpiece is soon to have this in its PC port, for instance) I fully expect that even now Fire Emblem Fates is a fantastic game, as are all the other games I mentioned in the OP. At least with poor quality ports, updates can fix those issues. I'm sure Tales of Symphonia for instance won't always be so shoddy after the fact.

And I get that the content might make people uncomfortable, but things such as the petting mini-game were optional to begin with. Players never had to participate in such content anyways. Plus, I figured that a lot of people playing Fire Emblem are probably already well aware that the game is a Japanese title, and as such I think it'd be strange to expect such a title to always adhere to Western norms. Is it not possible to play something with the context of knowing its a Japanese game and being able to appreciate and respect that something is from a different culture from one's own?

I just feel like these sorts of things do harm to the overall industry, and that the content itself is more important than how consumers and/or localization companies feel about the content.

I keep speaking on my own feelings on the issue, but I want to re-iterate that I believe that cutting content like this sets a precedent for other companies to follow, that they might look at this and be like "Well, these guys got away with cutting this so I guess we can do this". Also that its allowing companies to decide for its consumers what they think consumers might find discomforting or not. Wouldn't it be better if people had a choice? They could actively avoid content they don't like or accept it, but instead there aren't options with these sorts of localizations since they choose to cut stuff out in the first place. Plus I think its disrespectful to the original creators, as if publishers are saying that they know better than the original creators on what sort of content belongs in a game or not. I see this all as hurting the industry as a whole, not just FE Fates or Xenoblade or any others in particular.

Edited by Battlechili

4 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

But if the game was never localized by NoA in the first place, wouldn't other companies that touch smaller titles get a chance to bring it over then? Like, I know Pandora's Tower and Last Story are both technically owned by Nintendo, but XSeed brought it over in the West since NoA didn't (despite that NoE brought them both over to Europe). I figured if NoA stopped bringing these games over, someone else would do the job. I mean a hell of a lot weaker less unknown series get brought over all the time.

I will admit that such is speculation though, and like you said, Capcom has refused to bring some neat titles over (I wanted to play E.X. Troopers :( ). I just don't think such would happen with FE.

The difference being how close to Nintendo Intelligent Systems is. The studios for those are two games aren't near or as dear to Nintendo. I'm only assuming that Nintedo funds a lot of their projects but that would mean the translation company would have to be someone Nintendo would have to approve of and mostly likely pay for.

Nintendo is still a business that monitors sales and makes risk/reward decisions, but I don't really trust Nintendo to get into the details of why people didn't buy their games. They're still really out of touch and I don't doubt for a second they could just pull future Fire Emblems from the west rather than fix the problems we had with it.

1 minute ago, Battlechili said:

Is it not possible to play something with the context of knowing its a Japanese game and being able to appreciate and respect that something is from a different culture from one's own?

I just feel like these sorts of things do harm to the overall industry, and that the content itself is more important than how consumers and/or localization companies feel about the content.

There's a difference between respecting something and wanting to partake in it, and the majority of potential audience this is the case. There is also a sliding scale of how much someone would want to respect another culture. Just because someone likes Kimino's and Cherry Blossoms and enjoys seeing those in games, it doesn't mean they want to play dating simulators where you can pet the person you're dating. It's not as simple as either loving every small niche thing of japan culture or thinking japan is disgusting and it's culture is awful, there's a very big grey field there. Also even if it's optional it can still turn people off of the game, it's hard to see this when you love that culture but that is the case. 

Killer is Dead is a perfect example of how keeping something like this in can hurt sales. Killer is Dead had an optional mini-game called gigolo mode. The main character gets hired by different women to take them out on dates which consist of him oggling them until he fills up his guts meter to give them a gift and eventually fills up their attention meter thing. Guess what feature of the game was considered one of the biggest flaws of the game and ultimately one of the reasons it sold poorly in the states, Gigolo mode. While that's a more extreme example because that's an M rated game while FE is rated T . People may respect other cultures (though the majority don't respect this stuff and just find it creepy) but this type of thing is still a bit too extreme for american culture and the average american.

This type of thing is really just marketing and has been done well before NoA and before video games and has not lead to any sort of harm for any industry that has done it, the potential loss of sales would hurt them way more than removing a minigame and translating it to be slightly different in some aspects. Things are always going to be lost in translation that's just how languages work, with big works of literature it becomes impossible to make an "exact" translation because lots of words have multiple meanings and there is also very different grammar in languages so translators have to adjust to that as well. Also just quickly googling it these small changes really didn't stop it from becoming a great selling game that is highly rated as well.

• Like 2

NoA have been doing this for years

This isnt some new Revelation

even SoA does that...

Often time its content that wouldnt really fly outside of said area the game originated from, or will become lost to people if said folks are exposed to it, or finally "have on real relevance on the game"

Using the fire Emblem thing on the drugging, the character after drugging the lesbian character reveals they did indeed drug her...and she wasnt very happy about that. Whats weird is that if you go female you cant get with that character...

Edited by Deskai

23 hours ago, AlastairSnowpaw said:

There's a difference between respecting something and wanting to partake in it, and the majority of potential audience this is the case. There is also a sliding scale of how much someone would want to respect another culture. Just because someone likes Kimino's and Cherry Blossoms and enjoys seeing those in games, it doesn't mean they want to play dating simulators where you can pet the person you're dating. It's not as simple as either loving every small niche thing of japan culture or thinking japan is disgusting and it's culture is awful, there's a very big grey field there. Also even if it's optional it can still turn people off of the game, it's hard to see this when you love that culture but that is the case. 

Killer is Dead is a perfect example of how keeping something like this in can hurt sales. Killer is Dead had an optional mini-game called gigolo mode. The main character gets hired by different women to take them out on dates which consist of him oggling them until he fills up his guts meter to give them a gift and eventually fills up their attention meter thing. Guess what feature of the game was considered one of the biggest flaws of the game and ultimately one of the reasons it sold poorly in the states, Gigolo mode. While that's a more extreme example because that's an M rated game while FE is rated T . People may respect other cultures (though the majority don't respect this stuff and just find it creepy) but this type of thing is still a bit too extreme for american culture and the average american.

This type of thing is really just marketing and has been done well before NoA and before video games and has not lead to any sort of harm for any industry that has done it, the potential loss of sales would hurt them way more than removing a minigame and translating it to be slightly different in some aspects. Things are always going to be lost in translation that's just how languages work, with big works of literature it becomes impossible to make an "exact" translation because lots of words have multiple meanings and there is also very different grammar in languages so translators have to adjust to that as well. Also just quickly googling it these small changes really didn't stop it from becoming a great selling game that is highly rated as well.

Well I didn't mean exactly loving certain aspects of the culture. Just understanding that its a different culture rather and being accepting of that, even if one doesn't personally like it. I will admit though that I'm sure certain aspects of Japanese culture and strange things in games can be a turn-off for some, though.

I don't think Killer is Dead is a fair comparison. I get what you're trying to say, but Killer Is Dead sold abysmally even in Japan, and actually wound up selling significantly more in the West than in Japan. While there were complaints about gigolo mode in it, I'm not so sure that that equated to the low sales. It was in general an extremely strange game with a very non-linear form of storytelling.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/07/this-week-in-sales-killer-is-really-dead/

http://www.destructoid.com/killer-is-dead-launches-to-tepid-sales-in-japan-259793.phtml

And in comparison, the number of owners on Steam (not even including console sales):

http://steamspy.com/app/261110

But yes, you're right that translating and localizing a game can sometimes be difficult, and not everything translates well between languages. Changes are understandable to a certain degree I guess.

I can't personally appreciate what NoA has been doing however.

EDIT:

(there was a conversation about assassinations and murder in the Japanese version for this support)

Oh super robot wars. Now this is a game that has a very good reason to not be translated besides the original ones.

Welp

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/super-robot-wars-og-moon-dwellers-ps4-english-version-announced-asia

Edited by Battlechili

1 minute ago, RTDragon said:

Battlechili did you pay attention to Imperial Impact screenshots. That's from the crossover game versions which is very popular to the original generation. The one i mention a nightmare to get.

I saw them. Although admittedly I don't know much about the Super Robot Wars series, so I wasn't aware. I just thought when you said original game you meant that early games in the series were easier to understand or something. My bad. x_x

4 minutes ago, Mentova said:

I have no problem with them removing gross creepy fanservice alt-costumes, especially ones for underaged characters. 

Most of the people I've seen are more irritated with characters personalities being rewritten to include various memes and other random things. Like that video Chilli linked, the conversation in Japanese was to do with them talking about their kill counts and stuff or something along those lines and it seems NoA took that as. "Lets make them really stoic and silent Ninja's who merely glare at each other."

22 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

I saw them. Although admittedly I don't know much about the Super Robot Wars series, so I wasn't aware. I just thought when you said original game you meant that early games in the series were easier to understand or something. My bad. x_x

No, Those are the "classic" games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars:_Original_Generations

55 minutes ago, Naesaki said:

Most of the people I've seen are more irritated with characters personalities being rewritten to include various memes and other random things.

I heard about that but the majority of people I've seen are upset that the petting minigame isn't going to be in the NA version. I think Kotaku even wrote an article about it

11 minutes ago, willow said:

I heard about that but the majority of people I've seen are upset that the petting minigame isn't going to be in the NA version. I think Kotaku even wrote an article about it

I guess I'm drawing a distinction between those angry at censorship and those angry at NoA butchering the localisation. :3

• Like 1

On 18/02/2016 at 5:04 AM, Battlechili said:

as I feel it sets a precedent for other companies to follow and discourages content creators while making it seem as if NoA thinks it knows better than the original developers. I like really strict extremely accurate translations and seeing changes like this infuriate me.

As someone who likes Japanese culture (real Japanese culture, not "odd things Japanese nerds did" )and is actually learning Japanese, using real means of learning language, not fansubbed anime (westerners who use "ore" or "boku" to mean "I" give the Japanese an endlessly regenerating means for xenophobia)-

The "everything the Japanese company did is art, everything adaptors do is blasphemy" attitude is very annoying.

Keeping Japanese cultural things can be done without alienating anyone who doesn't understand the culture.

Also, keeping the line "I'm very happy we're going to be together" or whatever it was,  in English makes the character sound outright retarded. Nobody speaks like that.

Likewise, in Japan its not really proper, if you know the subjects name, to use "you", "he" or "she". In an English-speaking country, avoiding those words would be a trait usually associated with a very small child, or someone whose mental growth stopped as one.

Edited by Tyranno