Memorial

Rassah

10 minutes ago, #00Buck said:

I think the whole idea of a headstone is to show respect. 

That's why people mark graves. 

A lack of respect would be an unmarked gave.

It just seems a bit tasteless. But I don't get furry social norms. You guys uh, do you I guess. 

34 minutes ago, Crazy Lee said:

I think it a bit odd to place someone's fursona on their headstone.

Who financed this? Or should I even ask... and just assume you used your fortune in sweet sweet bitcoin to finance it.

Where is this located? Where she was buried? How does the family feel about it?

I vaguely remember some people from here wanted to finance a memorial for her. I could be wrong though

The headstone was bought by Red's mom, and all of this was done by her. I only found out about it today when she messaged me. Originally the stone was supposed to have been red marble with her avatar icon engraved on it, but her mom said it wouldn't show up on the red background, so she switched to grey plain color. The art is hand painted, is curing, and will be shellacked so it stays on permanently. I had nothing to do with this. This is just her family honoring her how they feel best.

https://goo.gl/maps/on4Wt4STeUH2

It was explained to me that Hunter Thomson was her favorite author, and I guess that was one of her favorite quotes. It was written on her refrigerator. Those who knew her and what she went through would appreciate it I'm sure. I'll visit the site later in March and take some more pictures.

Edited by Rassah
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, Rassah said:

The headstone was bought by Red's mom, and all of this was done by her. I only found out about it today when she messaged me. Originally the stone was supposed to have been red marble with her avatar icon engraved on it, but her mom said it wouldn't show up on the red background, so she switched to grey plain color. The art is hand painted, is curing, and will be shellacked so it stays on permanently. I had nothing to do with this. This is just her family honoring her how they feel best.

https://goo.gl/maps/on4Wt4STeUH2

It was explained to me that Hunter Thomson was her favorite author, and I guess that was one of her favorite quotes. It was written on her refrigerator. Those who knew her and what she went through would appreciate it I'm sure. I'll visit the site later in March and take some more pictures.

If the above is true and I have no reason to doubt it there is nothing "tasteless" about it. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

which, as it turns out, isn't just painted on, but engraved. All the black outlines are carved 1cm deep grooves, then the engraving is colored and laminated. Her ashes are under the round thing on the side.

20160423_105242.jpg

A pretty good and fitting memorial for her I think. The thing that scared me most back then was that she would just end up an urn on some shelf, or worse, have her ashes scattered, and her no longer being anywhere on this world, with only things left being her writings. I'm glad there's something concrete, and so nice that exists to represent her.

• Like 2

The whole fursona-on-the-gravestone thing is a bit strange but considering how she was known to people as this persona its not odd to have some kind of personal significance in a symbolic and imagery sense, outsiders arent going to see it as a furry thing and insiders will understand the whole story behind these symbolic characters of herself. 

...I really do respect her transformation from C.C to R.S and I find a lot of personal connection to that feeling...but thats a thing that neednt be elaborated, I guess.

Thanks to whoever chose to make that, furry or not its an apt remembrance

Finally got a chance to unlock Red's computer and phone (her mom knew the phone password, but didn't know where to find anything). So, a melancholy and somewhat depressing weekend finding many more of her stories, writings, and lots and lots of goodbye messages from so many people who loved her. Found she had a Reddit account at https://www.reddit.com/user/Out-ofmind 

Also, a short while before the incident, she apparently also joined http://forums.katbox.net/threads/hot-damn-this-place-is-pretty-snazzy.11725/ She apparently read a few of the comics there, and maybe was looking for a new place after FurAffinity forums imploded. So, more internet tracks to read up on for those who care.

Apparently she also wrote a bunch of stories on her old typewriter. Her mom has a portfolio of them. I guess I can see why she liked the typewriter over a PC: all her mistakes, corrections, and notes are visible, giving them a bit of character and grit. Those I didn't read - besides skimming one page - since I knew if I started, I'd be doing it all weekend, so I saved that project for another visit (and as an excuse for another visit), where I'll also bring my scanner, so I can digitize them all as they are.

Oh, and for what it's worth, on her phone in Skype Grimes was the only person in her favorites, so I guess that was the person she wanted to have the most convenient accesses to have a chat with.

Red's dog Ozzie (the Pawprints of Darkness) is doing well. Very active and excitable, and was hanging out all over me every chance he got. Probably cause I was giving him so much attention. He's getting a bit grey around the back and butt though, so I guess he's getting old. Red's mom is OK too, at least health wise. She lost a lot of weight since I saw her in September, so that's good, and she seems to be in an OK mood. At least they were all happy for the company. Her little brother seems to be OK too, but seems to be looking for an escape, so mostly spends his time online, or lost in videogames, spending most of the weekend fighting his Pokemon against his friends' Pokemon. He also spends a lot of time in Minecraft, and still draws art, so I thought I'd give him an incentive to put his art and 3D building skills to use, and get him to learn some professional 3D design software, and bought him a 3D printer. We spent part of Saturday setting it up and doing test prints of Pokemon figurines. So if you want something 3D printed, please bug him. He needs work :)

My next trip over will probably be late fall, when the Texas Bitcoin Conference happens in Austin.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Head said:

Who's Red?

Why does everybody REALLY seem to like this person?

in a nutshell, she was a forum member on FAF who a lot of people here were really close to. She helped a lot of other forum members too. And her posts were always insightful

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, willow said:

in a nutshell, she was a forum member on FAF who a lot of people here were really close to. She helped a lot of other forum members too. And her posts were always insightful

She's on FAF? That's why I couldn't ever find her... I kept assuming she was on pheonix...

Now that I've found her... Time to see what she was like. I'm really curious.

On 4/24/2016 at 3:00 PM, Rassah said:

Oh, and for what it's worth, on her phone in Skype Grimes was the only person in her favorites, so I guess that was the person she wanted to have the most convenient accesses to have a chat with.

Grimes/Brass/Bazen/EverSleep I've got a box full of usernames.

There's really no point in me going into any detail (I'm sure you've seen enough) but we had a lot in common and she was always awake at night to keep me company. A lot of people lost a very supportive friend. She was definitely my favorite. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 27/04/2016 at 9:10 PM, Brazen said:

Grimes/Brass/Bazen/EverSleep I've got a box full of usernames.

There's really no point in me going into any detail (I'm sure you've seen enough) but we had a lot in common and she was always awake at night to keep me company. A lot of people lost a very supportive friend. She was definitely my favorite. 

Yeah, I miss Red. I knew her mostly on Steam. She was a real sweet person, she really liked building up other people.

• 2 years later...

Thank you, Rassah, for making this thread. For anyone who might bother moderating here anymore, I know necroing is frowned upon, but this is important to me. Besides, it seems appropriate since I’m in a cemetery.

So, yesterday was the 4th anniversary of the deaths of Red Savage and Milo. I couldn’t make it because of work. I got here as soon as I could. 

Maybe this is a big waste of my time and nobody cares, but I feel good about it.

AF10769A-A42A-4A98-81C0-832A918F7DCE.jpeg

Multi-posting because of file size limit...

3620DF91-20B5-4DC6-A063-7EA8B131FB0E.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/26/2019 at 8:23 PM, Llamapotamus said:

So, yesterday was the 4th anniversary of the deaths of Red Savage and Milo....

Wow, 4 years... So much has happened and changed since then, and so much I wish I could've shared with her over these last few years, but it's like she's frozen in time, never to move forward from that night... Always young and beautiful I guess.

Thank you for sharing. It's been a while since I visited. I still keep her in my memories though. Especially with the events of the last month, which would have never happened if it wasn't for her.