Guy films tornado as it passes through his house.

CETME

6 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Wha? Nowai. You stay inside when possible, and if you can't, you get into the lowest-lying point you can possibly reach, go prone, and cover your head. You never want to be out in open areas with a tornado, even inside of a vehicle. Flying debris can make short work of you and your little mobile cage.

~Texas born and raised.

No house can stand up to a tornado like that, and unless you have a basement you're pretty much fucked.

Just now, 6tails said:

Most bathtubs are affixed thanks to plumbing gong through the foundation. If you can get to that, you're normally okay, it is the least lost house fixture next to the actual foundation itself. If you can't get to there, you go flat as you possibly can to avoid being picked up by the wind.

If you step outside, you run far greater risk of getting nailed and killed by debris or by being blown into the air by past hurricane-force winds. This is why the NWS tells you to get the hell indoors when a tornado hits.

Then what about low bridges and storm drains, still a viable option?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Not sure about storm drains (probably not a good idea just from all the rainfall that generally accompanies these storms), but bridges are a definite no. Bridges actually make things WORSE by channelling the air and creating a wind tunnel effect. You're actually safer lying facedown in a ditch.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

Not sure about storm drains (probably not a good idea just from all the rainfall that generally accompanies these storms), but bridges are a definite no. Bridges actually make things WORSE by channelling the air and creating a wind tunnel effect. You're actually safer lying facedown in a ditch.

Ya, the real problem is that some structures are safe to hide behind (bridges with large concrete beams that you can get behind, low drains that won't funnel wind), but some bridges have no accessible protection and some drains will funnel wind and water.  So some structures may save you and some may kill you.  Unless you know what kind of bridge or drain it is you are running to, you may be making things worse.

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

Bridges are not recommended to hide under, because they act like a wind tunnel.

1 hour ago, Mr. Fox said:

No house can stand up to a tornado like that, and unless you have a basement you're pretty much fucked.

That's why you hide in a bathtub and hold a couch cushion over your head.

3 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Worse ground can actually cause worse conditions due to shitty surface conditions.

Best to stay as high as possible over the water drop level.

I don't mean during the actual occurrence of a tornado. I know you're supposed to get as low as possible for those.

We just have much less of a risk of them, by probability, in those areas.
At least from my experience.

55 minutes ago, Endless/Nameless said:

I have heard that it is a good idea to open your windows in the case of a tornado so that atmospheric pressure doesn't cause your house to implode.

Please confirm, science side of Phoenix

(yes, i just used a dank tumblr meme)

That's a BS urban legend. 

Although it's true that tornadoes have very low atmospheric pressures, the damage done by twisters is because of the high winds, not atmospheric pressure. (For example, if you watch videos of buildings getting demolished by tornadoes, they tend to be "blown away" instead of "blown up".)

Opening windows will only let the 100+ mph winds into your house, allowing them to cause more damage.

SO DON'T DO IT

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Endless/Nameless said:

Which is funny cuz I believe I got that from an ancient NOAA vhs.

Thanks.

I think the window idea used to be an accepted truth and recommend practice but further study has proven this to be a bad idea.  

• Like 1

On 4/26/2016 at 8:20 PM, Endless/Nameless said:

Which is funny cuz I believe I got that from an ancient NOAA vhs.

Thanks.

I saw a documentary about Ted Fujita after whom the Fujita scale is named (but I can't find it again), and he and his team researching tornadoes found that the official recommendation to crack open windows before a tornado hits not only was useless but that it robbed time that could've been spent taking shelter.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, LazerMaster5 said:

"Honey, there's this fucking nasty tornado approaching our house!"

"Fetch me my video camera, I'm going upstairs to film this shit!"

How did this guy even survive?

I've seen so many towns in my area ripped apart by even weak tornadoes where very few people got away without injuries.

Even somebody that does exactly as they should directly in the path of a strong tornado is lucky to get away only major injuries.

I'd assume his wife was in a safer spot, but their fates just came down to random chance. Natural disasters are kind of horrible in that way. There is not much we can do about it.

There are some weird stories associated with tornadoes. 

There are stories of guys getting launched several hundred meters by a tornado and surviving.

Whats even more interesting is that their winds are so strong, they basically can turn sliver wear into bullets, turn wooden beams and pieces rebar into spears.

Many tornado deaths are due to the random crap the tornado throws around. 

2 hours ago, WolfyAmbassador said:

Landspout?

Not quite.  It descended from the cloud above (you can see the descent point if you look), whereas dust devils spawn from the ground up.  It was an EF0, but it was still a vortex of damaging wind.  One of my not-so-close neighbors caught it on video as she was shooting the hail preceding it, but she didn't even see it until it started breaking up.

8 hours ago, ArielMT said:

Not quite.  It descended from the cloud above (you can see the descent point if you look), whereas dust devils spawn from the ground up.  It was an EF0, but it was still a vortex of damaging wind.  One of my not-so-close neighbors caught it on video as she was shooting the hail preceding it, but she didn't even see it until it started breaking up.

Landspouts are tornados, but they don't drop out of a supercell.

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the necro, but that video is amazing. Props to the guy not doing the stereotypical "HOLY SHIT! LOOK A TORNADER! HOLY SHIT! FUCK! SHIT! FUCK! SHIT! FUCK! SHIT!" that's common in amateur and even storm chaser videos. At his age, he probably just didn't give a shit if it took him or not.

On 4/28/2016 at 1:45 AM, ArielMT said:

Oh I've come across that video! Was she stoned? She doesn't even notice it off to the right at 2:30.

For anyone else interested in the beauty of the beasts:

(This one's my fav)

4 hours ago, root said:

Oh I've come across that video! Was she stoned? She doesn't even notice it off to the right at 2:30.

She's in the news story video at the 0:25 mark, talking to the news crew the next morning.  It was still bright enough at the time of the tornado that it's hard to see everything her cell phone screen records when outdoors, except when looking into the darkest clouds.  She was so fixated on the screen that it's no wonder she missed it until she took a moment to look at the scenery.

• Like 1