Gawker Has Filed For Bankruptcy

Victor-933

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-gawkermedia-bankruptcy-idUSKCN0YW1YP

Guess we now know what people do when Hulkamania runs wild on them.

I love that Hulkster's legal team was bankrolled by Peter Thiel -- who Gawker outed as gay (pro-LGBT media, my ass). Between that and the shitshow with Hulk (which I remind you included Gawker explicitly refusing to comply with a court order, as well as the "four year old" quip from one of its chief editors), this is pretty amazing.

• Like 4

"Media company Ziff Davis LLC has entered an agreement to buy Gawker's assets for a little less than $100 million, according to people familiar with the matter, but that may be only the initial bid in a court-supervised auction likely to take place at the end of July."

As it turns out

https://www.destructoid.com/ign-s-parent-company-buys-kotaku-publisher-367341.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

http://operationrainfall.com/2016/06/10/ign-buys-kotaku/

It appears the owners of IGN bought Gawker

1 minute ago, Battlechili said:

Gawker Media was bought out by IGN.

http://operationrainfall.com/2016/06/10/ign-buys-kotaku/

Not quite. GMG is up for auction; Ziff Davis (owner of IGN) made an opening bid of $90m, but it's all still tentative. Gawker ain't getting out of this that quickly.

http://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/gawker-declaring-bankruptcy-will-be-put-up-for-auction-1465578030

Plus, even if they do get bought up by Ziff Davis I doubt they'd tolerate the shit Gawker has been pulling for very long.

21 minutes ago, Victor-933 said:

Not quite. GMG is up for auction; Ziff Davis (owner of IGN) made an opening bid of $90m, but it's all still tentative. Gawker ain't getting out of this that quickly.

http://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/gawker-declaring-bankruptcy-will-be-put-up-for-auction-1465578030

Plus, even if they do get bought up by Ziff Davis I doubt they'd tolerate the shit Gawker has been pulling for very long.

Ah, I see. I don't really want to see Gawker bought and/or live on in some manner. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Battlechili said:

So does this mean the site will die finally or are they somehow going to keep it alive?

Evils such as Gawker never truly die. They simply pull themselves back together and come back stronger and more powerful.

After all, the disgusting journalistic parasites the make up Gawker, Buzzfeed and its ilk need to go somewhere.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sylver said:

Some people are 'antifragile' which basically means that instead of breaking, they grow and develop from the experience; it improves them. In other words, a lesser character is supposedly killed, then after the anime time-skip he comes back as this unbeatable high-level boss.

Is 'invincible' the word you're looking for?

:V

I, for one, am also overjoyed by the fact a multi-billionaire who said female suffrage was the worst thing that happened to democracy and that democracy is a shit concept anyhow, and his pet virulent racist dealt a severe blow to the freedom of press with this act.

Oh, you haven't heard Hulku-san's lawsuit was bankrolled by Peter Thiel? Welp, don't let me rain on your parade. Please, do celebrate this new milestone in the ongoing transformation of our society into a corporate dystopia.

49 minutes ago, Gryphoneer said:

I, for one, am also overjoyed by the fact a multi-billionaire who said female suffrage was the worst thing that happened to democracy and that democracy is a shit concept anyhow, and his pet virulent racist dealt a severe blow to the freedom of press with this act.

Oh, you haven't heard Hulku-san's lawsuit was bankrolled by Peter Thiel? Welp, don't let me rain on your parade. Please, do celebrate this new milestone in the ongoing transformation of our society into a corporate dystopia.

Uhh.. I pointed that out in my OP when I made this topic. You're starting to show a real lack of reading comprehension.

And, as also pointed out in that post, Thiel was a closeted homosexual until Gawker outed him in 2007, without his knowledge or permission.

Gawker is not a hill worth dying on in defense of freedom of speech.

• Like 3

Thiel sounds like your typical silicon valley libertarian neckbeard, which is pretty much the only type of person working in Silicon Valley nowadays.

I heard he's supporting Donald Trump. Not sure why someone libertarian would support Trump when Gary Johnson is a much better choice, but whatever.

Thiel may not be a great person himself but I have no love for clickbait and pseudo-news internet sites like Gawker especially if they out people without their permission. And "first amendment..." means the government cannot censor you. Says nothing about you being sued by another party.

I was actually going to mention Thiel's support of Hulk in the old Gawker suit thread but couldn't find it.

• Like 1

Bwahahahaha Schadenfreude.

Of course, I realize Gawker Media is only the most visible or easy-to-pick-on symptom of a larger disease. Clickbait media will live on and continue to perpetuate itself in some form or other.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

Yes

I don't entirely understand myself, but mainsite gawker is vanishing, so that's comforting at least.

Wow...

Is this like some bizarre form of self-satire? Is this the machination of a sad, broken man losing his fucking mind as his business actively crumbles before him?

This shit is borderline Shakespearean fam.

9 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Wow...

Is this like some bizarre form of self-satire? Is this the machination of a sad, broken man losing his fucking mind as his business actively crumbles before him?

This shit is borderline Shakespearean fam.

"The politics of sitting down to pee"

• Like 1