The Voice singer, Christina Grimmie murdered on stage

VGmaster9

18 minutes ago, VGmaster9 said:

never heard of her

Indeed. I wonder if this could be a publicity stunt? Occam's Razor sort of precludes an elaborate scheme to assassinate a barely known musical artist in a public venue such as this, in front of a whole audience full of witnesses ... >.>

:V

9 minutes ago, Wax said:

I don't think this is a good time to make jokes, even if they're lighthearted.

It's always a good time to make jokes!

A singer I haven't heard of was shot. That isn't exactly a reason to put the flags at half-mast, either.

The sick part is I was making jokes specifically about her death.

I felt it's better than jumping on the pity bandwagon for random strangers who were shot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ricky said:

It's always a good time to make jokes!

A singer I haven't heard of was shot. That isn't exactly a reason to put the flags at half-mast, either.

The sick part is I was making jokes specifically about her death.

I felt it's better than jumping on the pity bandwagon for random strangers who were shot.

It wasnt a random expected death, a successful and bright person with a future ahead of them was needlessly murdered...in front of a lot of people that adored her. Its a tragic occurrence and you dont even need to know the person to realize that's a fucked up situation.

At the least when stuff like that happens you can just shut up about it.

There's lighthearted humor in the face of tragedy, and then there's callous humor that waves off a stranger's death as 'meh'

Yours is the latter

Ive been told you were kind of an awful person and I didnt believe it since I cant judge you off of someone else's words but by yours, but yeah, youre kind of a dick

• Like 3

5 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

Ive been told you were kind of an awful person and I didnt believe it since I cant judge you off of someone else's words but by yours, but yeah, youre kind of a dick

At least they were honest about it *shrugs*

You are taking things I say too literally. I'm simply using hyperbole to make a point. Of course it isn't a good thing when anyone dies, but posting every obscure death and expecting people to be affected by it personally is ridiculous. Most people who gave responses probably don't care as much as they appear to, but rather want to show everyone how nice of a person they are, caring about one specific death while not knowing the person at all. When everyone else makes extreme arguments in one direction, I make another extreme argument in the opposite direction just to help balance shit out to try and get to some vague resemblance of normalcy.

With that much said, I think we should honor all the Syrians too, one at a time, 20 who were killed just today in an attempt by the government to force them to starve to death.

There will be many, many retroactive threads for this one :V

Also,

5 hours ago, WolfNightV4X1 said:

It wasnt a random expected death, a successful and bright person with a future ahead of them was needlessly murdered...in front of a lot of people that adored her. Its a tragic occurrence and you dont even need to know the person to realize that's a fucked up situation.

... how does that make her life any more valuable than the old indian dude?

I'd understand this a lot better if the people who were saying this stuff were actually these fans you speak of, which isn't the case.

4 hours ago, Ricky said:

Also,

... how does that make her life any more valuable than the old indian dude?

I'd understand this a lot better if the people who were saying this stuff were actually these fans you speak of, which isn't the case.

in the case of christina grimmie, a lot of people respected her music, went to shows. in the context of the modern era this poses a different type of emotional attachment than the kind that is a result of individual bonding. her person as a whole still had value to people who did not know her personally, and the fact that christina grimmie in some way affected others in a larger-scale sense. while the op isn't someone who fits this category, he is still able to understand that there will be a basic level of empathy and acknowledgement from those who did follow her work. this is why individuals who did not end up in a position of media attention tend to fall under the radar; their deaths mattered to their personal circles, whereas musical artists had sweeping spheres of influence that affected people in a way entirely different from the individual sense. 

the indian dude is tragic, validly. but the problem is that we have no context of his life whatsoever and we aren't theoretically involved in it. this isn't true of grimmie, because her media positively affected a wide number of people and for her to be removed from the world means that the art that she had the hopes of sharing in order to positively affect others is now gone.

in either case, basic empathy can be practiced, as a sign of accepting that there is some level of appreciation for what she did, even if the one mourning her death did not  get a chance to experience it.

if it was someone who had no published works, no public performances, no collective following, i wouldn't then hold this opinion, however i wouldn't then turn my back on the person at hand. at any rate, the inability to acknowledge every individual death does not then justify an egalitarian kind of apathy to what is brought to our attention.

5 hours ago, Ricky said:

Hide contents

When everyone else makes extreme arguments in one direction, I make another extreme argument in the opposite direction just to help balance shit out to try and get to some vague resemblance of normalcy.

You and I both know this doesn't create normalcy, but instead fuels discourse. That's just a way of sounding noble about trying to get a rise out of people.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, evan said:

her person as a whole still had value to people who did not know her personally, and the fact that christina grimmie in some way affected others in a larger-scale sense. while the op isn't someone who fits this category, he is still able to understand that there will be a basic level of empathy and acknowledgement from those who did follow her work.

So, they feel bad about the fact that the other people feel bad about it?

People had no context with her either, they didn't know who the heck she even was until they read about it.

That seems pretty misdirected and I think it's only fair if we let her entire fanbase mourn her death, and channel our attention to the more obscure events otherwise forgotten.

8 minutes ago, evan said:

in either case, basic empathy can be practiced, as a sign of accepting that there is some level of appreciation for what she did, even if the one mourning her death did not get a chance to experience it.

Empathy isn't learned, aside from early on, as a very small child.

I still fail to see how someone writing music that many people like should make me care more when they get shot.

People have gotten shot just a few blocks from me here in Seattle, two of them died.

It's something I would never want to happen to anyone, but also something I don't care enough to mourn over if I don't even know the one in question.

Does that make me a bad person, or simply honest? Or both?

2 minutes ago, evan said:

You and I both know this doesn't create normalcy, but instead fuels discourse. That's just a way of sounding noble about trying to get a rise out of people.

That's not my intention. I wasn't trying to get a rise out of people but it didn't surprise me it happened.

There are usually two sides to an argument and unless one side is completely retarded (not the case here) then the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

12 minutes ago, Ricky said:

So, they feel bad about the fact that the other people feel bad about it?

my point is that people are able to understand what this event means for those who do care. 

People had no context with her either, they didn't know who the heck she even was until they read about it.

and i was in the same position for the indian man you posted. once i did, i did feel a certain level of empathy for him. it was an initial reaction because its lack of discussion doesn't invalidate its tragedy. some people have inherent reactions to negative situations. this much shouldn't be hard to misinterpret.

That seems pretty misdirected and I think it's only fair if we let her entire fanbase mourn her death, and channel our attention to the more obscure events otherwise forgotten.

which is a fine decision, but no reason to criticize the act of actually caring seeing as this whole event of this thread transpired over what, a day? it would be very easy to then set aside the time to at least, did it seem necessary, acknowledge current events that fit what you say. and for that matter who's to say that nobody isn't doing that? 5 bikers died in kalamazoo just two days ago. it affected me personally because it's so close to where i live and it affected our community. someone probably died in chicago this week. i have no ability to feel for them but i understand that there are family members who are probably going through something awfully difficult right now.

I still fail to see how someone writing music that many people like should make me care more when they get shot.

People have gotten shot just a few blocks from me here in Seattle, two of them died.

It's something I would never want to happen to anyone, but also something I don't care enough to mourn over if I don't even know the one in question.

Does that make me a bad person, or simply honest? Or both?

this is again one of the roadblocks. you're attacking this from a very personal perspective. you don't care and that's fine, but then you think nobody else should care. for me as a musician i inherently have a devoted interest to people whose art i've come to appreciate, and after looking at her music i care a lot about that kind of situation. even small situations make me feel something that i do care about. but i also don't expect every person to share this, because that would be absurd, however for me or those who do have that perspective we do choose to embrace this as an event that should be acknowledged for us at least. someone did so it was.

it makes you honest with yourself. but being honest with yourself and criticizing others because your idea of internal honesty is different is the issue at hand.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ricky said:

That's not my intention. I wasn't trying to get a rise out of people but it didn't surprise me it happened.

There are usually two sides to an argument and unless one side is completely retarded (not the case here) then the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Generally that just makes two annoyed and opposite extremists, so I'd at least encourage you to see why what you didn't intend was way closer to what happened.

Just now, Ricky said:

How am I criticizing anyone by not acting like a Care Bear?

Didn't you say you were deliberately being extreme to normalize perspective? Doesn't that then mean there's a great deal of positions to take other than the 3dgy blunt sarcasm?

Choosing not to wear your emotions on your sleeve is not equitable to immediately being critical in as demeaning a way as possible.

• Like 3

Just now, evan said:

Generally that just makes two annoyed and opposite extremists, so I'd at least encourage you to see why what you didn't intend was way closer to what happened.

I said it wasn't my intention, but I also wasn't surprised that it happened.

Cause and effect don't elude me but the best approach to something doesn't always entail avoiding conflict.

Besides, who cares? Sticks and stones, and all that.

1 minute ago, Ricky said:

I said it wasn't my intention, but I also wasn't surprised that it happened.

Cause and effect don't elude me but the best approach to something doesn't always entail avoiding conflict.

Besides, who cares? Sticks and stones, and all that.

If your goal is social alienation, be my guest.

Also, again. You and I both know there's more than one way to create conflict, and you deliberately choose the most aggressive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, evan said:

Didn't you say you were deliberately being extreme to normalize perspective?

Yeah, and that's not being critical of anyone here as much as shifting the apparent norm.

1 minute ago, evan said:

If your goal is social alienation, be my guest.

Lol, from a furry forum?

Trust me, there are rumors spread all over Seattle about me after being here four months.

I think I can handle you furries just fine <3

Ricky does have a point, even if he said it very bluntly. But Evan also has a point... I'm not really sure who I agree with. Damn you logic intertwined with emotions!

As for my thoughts, this reminds me of the Dimebag Darrell murder. Crazy shit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Yeah, and that's not being critical of anyone here as much as shifting the apparent norm.

Lol, from a furry forum?

Trust me, there are rumors spread all over Seattle about me after being here four months.

I think I can handle you furries just fine <3

more than anything to most of the people here it's just kind of being an edgy fuck. if you expect your point to be taken seriously once you start being serious, it's gonna most of the time not happen and if anything people are going to enforce their beliefs that contrast yours. they may argue with you but they're coming from a fundamental belief that you're wrong, deliberately inflammatory, and probably stupid. kinda undermines your valid points, doesn't it?

i don't expect you to care about people liking you. but the fact that you broke character tells me you want to at least be taken seriously when you have serious opinions, which frankly, the more you go about this way, the less it's going to happen exponentially.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, root said:

Ricky does have a point, even if he said it very bluntly. But Evan also has a point... I'm not really sure who I agree with. Damn you logic intertwined with emotions!

As for my thoughts, this reminds me of the Dimebag Darrell murder. Crazy shit.

Except he was shot during the performance, not after.

1 minute ago, evan said:

more than anything to most of the people here it's just kind of being an edgy fuck. if you expect your point to be taken seriously once you start being serious, it's gonna most of the time not happen and if anything people are going to enforce their beliefs that contrast yours. they may argue with you but they're coming from a fundamental belief that you're wrong, deliberately inflammatory, and probably stupid. kinda undermines your valid points, doesn't it?

Nope. Just look at how much of the thread is now dedicated to my point.

You helped it become that way, and I thank you for that <3

3 minutes ago, root said:

Ricky does have a point, even if he said it very bluntly. But Evan also has a point... I'm not really sure who I agree with.

I'm quite sure that this thread was created with the intention of spreading the news reguarding the tragic death of a young and aspiring individual. The fact that they are both trying to settle a dispute on the topic of the deaths of random strangers based on their own biased opinions, is unnecessary.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, LucidLynx said:

I'm quite sure that this thread was created with the intention of spreading the news reguarding the tragic death of a young and aspiring individual. The fact that they are both trying to settle a dispute on the topic of the deaths of random strangers based on their own biased opinions, is unnecessary.

The only dispute was when people told me I should care more, which I still dispute :V

10 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Ok, it doesn't matter if you didn't know who she was before this happened, it's still tragic that she was shot in front of her fans out of nowhere by some fucked up dude. You don't have to act like some holier than thou asshole because you personally don't care about it.

It's even more tragic that some guy in Africa was killed and nobody even knew about it, since it never made the papers.

Of course, I don't have any details but you can be sure it happened somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

It'd still be tragic, but you'd get edgelords saying they were happy about it because "DAE JUSTIN BEAVER LE SUX XDXDXD"

Do you really think people would be genuinely happy about that? 

Some girl I don't know with a beautiful talent was shot and killed by a crazy guy. That's sad. Much respect to her for what she accomplished in life and to her family for losing her. Special mention for her brother who tackled the guy.

As for the points brought up in this thread? It is rather sad that only people with fame are the only ones who are pitied. That's just life though. Oh well.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ricky said:

LOL, I was gonna mention this and then I forgot.

I'd imagine the overwhelming response would be a positive one.

The fact that he died or the emotional support from beliebers?

Either way, it would be interesting to see the fights between beliebers and everyone else.

7 minutes ago, VGmaster9 said:

The debate above has got me thinking, what would the reactions be if it was Jusitn Bieber who suffered the same fate?

I think most people would openly mock his death with no social repercussions whatsoever.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

It'd still be tragic, but you'd get edgelords saying they were happy about it because "DAE JUSTIN BEAVER LE SUX XDXDXD"

I love these stupid cop-outs implying anyone with a differing opinion is doing it to try and be edgy.

As if I'd try and prove this by posting controversial opinions on a furry forum. Yeah, okay... yeah :V

Walter White has nothing on me, and he also sucks at Chemistry.

4 minutes ago, Ricky said:

I love these stupid cop-outs implying anyone with a differing opinion is doing it to try and be edgy.

As if I'd try and prove this by posting controversial opinions on a furry forum. Yeah, okay... yeah :V

Walter White has nothing on me, and he also sucks at Chemistry.

Being happy that a singer is dead isn't a "differing opinion", it's fucking psychopathy

2 minutes ago, root said:

Yes.

Lmao.

I used to be one of those Justin Beiber haters when he first came out as an artist - but it wasn't something that I would take so seriously that I would get off from him dying.

Maybe that holds some relevance^

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Falaffel said:

It is rather sad that only people with fame are the only ones who are pitied

I think it is more a matter of how many people. Everyone has someone to pity them, such as relatives and friends (exception made for those unlucky enough to not have neither). People with fame are just going to have more folks mourning them, so I'd say it's inaccurate to assume they're the only to be pitied. Less known people simply don't get all that media coverage but almost surely they too have someone to cry their death

Just now, Amiir said:

I think it is more a matter of how many people. Everyone has someone to pity them, such as relatives and friends (exception made for those unlucky enough to not have neither). People with fame are just going to have more folks mourning them, so I'd say it's inaccurate to assume they're the only to be pitied. Less known people simply don't get all that media coverage but almost surely they too have someone to cry their death

This is more what I meant. I could have explained it better, I apologize. Thank you for clarifying me ^^

Just now, Falaffel said:

This is more what I meant. I could have explained it better, I apologize. Thank you for clarifying me ^^

Ain't nothing you have to apologize for bro. And you're most welcome!

17 minutes ago, Sidewalk Surfboard said:

Being happy that a singer is dead isn't a "differing opinion", it's fucking psychopathy

Oh, wow. Who was happy about it? That's a pretty shitty thing to do.

14 minutes ago, Terminal7 said:

I used to be one of those Justin Beiber haters when he first came out as an artist - but it wasn't something that I would take so seriously that I would get off from him dying.

Maybe that holds some relevance^

I'd literally cum buckets :V

No, seriously I wouldn't be happy about that either, but I'd probably laugh if everybody else was.

Lets steer it back to the topic going forward, guys. 

On this topic, though.. that'd be brutal to see in front of your eyes. Someone you looked up to, just gone like that? Like other users mentioned on the thread, its reminiscent of lennon or dimebag darrel (except that was on stage and scared the hundreds there)