Adopting avatars

Snagged

Definitely no. And no Alex, the art, and the design is protected by creative commons. You NEED to ask the original artist AND the person who designed it.

That's not a question of yes or naah, it's just how it goes.

For me, it's definitely art theft

• Like 3

In a community based so heavily around original content, I could see it as a bit disrespectful to run around as a character someone else created to represent themself (themselves?), but that's about it. No need to throw copyright law at some random nobody who's just fucking around on the internet for fun.

A small personal character? No. Those are privately owned, and usually used solely to reflect the person who made them.

Stealing art of the character? Speaking as an artist, myself, double no and a hardy "Fuck right off with that."
If you're gonna use someone else's character, the least you can do is draw the art, yourself.

• Like 3

Absolutely fucking NOT. Its BULLSHIT person can't go without a character without stealing someone elses. and yes, I consider it stealing. I don't care if you say the character isn't yours. You're a shitty person if you use art another artist did. 

I honestly don't see the issue so long as you give proper credit and ASK. Like I don't really care if someone uses my art or characters so long as I know about it and it's not being attached to like, some weird fetish thing.

Seems like some people are a bit protective though so whatever.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joshi said:

Definitely no. And no Alex, the art, and the design is protected by creative commons. You NEED to ask the original artist AND the person who designed it.

That's not a question of yes or naah, it's just how it goes.

For me, it's definitely art theft

Definitely art theft.

I CAN'T STAND people like that.

They are all just a bunch of low life thieves :V

5 hours ago, Ricky said:

Definitely art theft.

I CAN'T STAND people like that.

They are all just a bunch of low life thieves :V

I'm not 100% informed about the legally side, pretty sure design and art are protected by copyright laws if CC0 not specified.

And completely appart from that. It's just wrong to do that. I couldn't live with myself when I'd shamelessly use other people's avatar.

If somebody asked me if they could use it and gave me credit it'd be fine, unless I learned they were using them for things I didn't approve of. I'm not going to freak out and say "NO YOU CAN'T USE MY CHARACTER YOU FUCKING ART THEIF PIECE OF GARBAGE REEEEEEEEEE!!!!", even if they did take my art without asking. The simple thing to do is report them/ask them to take it down or whatever, and if they refuse, contact the website.

My answer is no, but I get it.

It's unoriginal, and potentially misleading. However, this is a fandom. They're fans. Not all fans are creative. In the world outside of the fandom, even fewer avatars are created by the user. Imagine "adopting" a Bugs Bunny avatar. Most Loony Toons fans would just go ahead and use a Bugs avatar without much thought. They might see our OCs in a similar light.

4 hours ago, Joshi said:

I'm not 100% informed about the legally side, pretty sure design and art are protected by copyright laws if CC0 not specified.

And completely appart from that. It's just wrong to do that. I couldn't live with myself when I'd shamelessly use other people's avatar.

Yeah, if anyone did that to me I would SUE >:c

I'm pretty sure that it is illegal.