Ever get jaded with furry art?

DevilishlyHandsome49

I like it better to just look at what comes my way. 

Stuff that get shared on forums/discord, the occasional "you might like this" suggestion, the random nice piece that ends up on the front page...

Go and try to sift through it all manually and you'll have a bad time.  

• Like 2

I've grown tired of certain styles when they're overdone, but furry isn't a style in and of itself. In fact, it can be drawn in just about any style under the sun. Try to not limit yourself to the most popular art styles. They're fun, but there's sooooo much more to anthropomorphic art. I only follow maybe one of the current big name artists, but that's because I started watching them maybe 10 years ago... and frankly, their work is less likely to wind up in my favorites than submissions by others who are fantastic in their own ways, yet relatively unknown.

Dig around a little. Better yet, look into who other artists are watching. You might be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 6tails said:

Figure out what you CAN draw. I can't draw bodies. I can do schematics and tribal designs all fucking day blindfolded.

Well first of all, that's a bad mindset for an artist to have. Hobbyist or otherwise.

Second of all, a lot of it has to do with medical issues and the fact that I've been going through a horrific withdrawal as the byproduct of being deprived of my medication for close to 3 months now.

6 hours ago, 6tails said:

Figure out what you CAN draw. I can't draw bodies. I can do schematics and tribal designs all fucking day blindfolded.

Terrible, terrible mindset you got there. If I thought that way, or really if any artist did, we'd all still be drawing stick figures. Terribly out of proportion and broken stick figures...

Anyways, I don't really browse arts. When I see artworks, then it's probably showing up on my twitter feeds from friends or artists that I follow.
I also don't get bored of seeing furry arts, as it's all very different. As an idea and concept, it can be brought out in an endless amount of interesting ways. To say it all is the same is quite silly...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Well first of all, that's a bad mindset for an artist to have. Hobbyist or otherwise.

Second of all, a lot of it has to do with medical issues and the fact that I've been going through a horrific withdrawal as the byproduct of being deprived of my medication for close to 3 months now.

I could actually help you with that >.>

The overall quality is rather low it can seem. And the people who make good content are far less frequent. But once I find someone, it's all good.

I HAVE gotten jaded with specific artists a lot though. People who plateau because they have tons and tons of views and followers and think they don't need to improve because of it. There's an artist on FA that is ludicrously popular with 1000+ images and he draws like shit. Hasnt changed in nearly 10 years either. It's mind boggling how he just doesn't put in effort because he's one of the kings of the furry castle. This is so common.

I'm stunned what numbers and statistics on a website does to artists online, excluding Pixiv. Pixiv artists don't fucking play. 

17 hours ago, 6tails said:

Naw, gonna have to side with Hewge on that. Not the most optimal advice for the simple reason that you practice what you're not good at. Hands took me years to get comfortable with because I studied them rigorously. You can draw anything, you just need to put forth the effort. Not just practice, but specific practice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 6tails said:

Tell that to my permanently-broken wrist.

There are paralyzed people from the neck down using computers to draw master works with their eyes, buuut that's a bit of an extreme and not the point, I guess.

But I figured it would be obvious I was talking about people at full health. If it's a legitimate medical issue then I can't blame you. I assumed you were speaking for perfectly functioning people to only draw certain things if they're not good at something else since neither you nor Pastry mentioned any injuries impeding drawing until after Pastry responded the response I quoted. My error.

On 7/15/2016 at 10:35 AM, 6tails said:

Uh, no.

If you can't figure out how to do something, you teach yourself how to. If you draw horrible people, you study anatomy.
The ability to understand and process art doesn't just "poof" into existence. That's acquired knowledge through a fuckload of practice and observation.

No one starts out good at anything.
It's just matter of where you want to prioritize. And if you want to be a good artist, that means prioritizing time and effort into learning your craft.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 6tails said:

I'm not sure that's always applicable. 

Just because you study it doesn't mean it will necessarily stick.

That raises a simple question. Who's to decide when concepts are supposed to actually stick though?

It's frustrating to know that some 16 year olds can already draw on the level of Xia Taptara, while someone at 27 is still stuck on proportions and shading. But that's just how the cookie crumbles. Some people have to work harder at subjects. Some people just get it like its 0+0. 

Ultimately, if someone -cares- about a trade to try and make it their bread and butter, they'll cut the excuses, get over their perceived inhibitions, and find a way to improve.

More on-topic, I find myself getting a little bored of furry art. Mostly because most furry artists draw in some kind of contemporary quasi-anime/quasi-disney style. Not that I dislike those at all, but I don't see enough inspiration from odd styles that keep me interested. I liked Ricket's work a lot but he/she moved off of FA onto Tumblr or something.