7 days

Gator

so a few weeks ago, i checked my work schedule to see how many days i'd have the following week.  4 in a row.  i wasn't looking forward to that; usually i have a couple of days off in between and no more than 3 days in a row at a time.  but you know, whatever, i've done it before. 

the following week, my schedule gets updated again, so i check to see what goes on after the 4-day week.  it always goes 4 days in one week, then 3 days the next, and so on, but i don't know which days are work/off days until the schedule gets updated (which happens once a week). 

so i go see... and there are no days off scheduled between the 4 days in a row of one week and the 3 days in a row of the next. 

it's technically still 4-then-3, but they're back to back and i find this shitty job and the shitty people who work there to be really damn exhausting.

3 days in a row is more than enough for me, yo.  what makes it more tiring is knowing that i don't get 7 days off in a row afterward to make up for it (they cleverly slapped a single day in the middle of what would otherwise have been 7 days off just to make sure of it), but while i'm working those 7 days, the other maintenance guy does.  the bastard.  tbh i'm kind of clinging to the tiny little hope that he'll take off one of my work days the following week since i took one of his a couple of weeks ago.  on the one hand, an extra day of money is good.  on the other hand, 8 days off is also good. 

BUT EITHER WAY

i'm tired, my body is sore, it's hot and i have to wear long pants, i hate most of my managers and coworkers, and i have no idea what to bring for lunch because i don't want to cook.  i don't have time to do much of anything on work days, i've been lonely because the SO has been out of town for a month, my feet hurt, and i really need to do laundry but i don't have enough dirty clothes aside from my work uniform so i've just been switching out the shirts and hoping that'll be good enough until the week is out. 

4 days down, 3 left

someone come do my job for me

and i don't wanna hear no "my grandpappy worked 7 days a week every week, barefoot in the snow, just to feed his 38 kids", either.  i'm tired all the time and this isn't helping, so shut up and let me whine.

• Like 1

Variable work schedules certainly can suck, I have had times where i have worked 12 PM-8 PM and then 6 AM-2 PM the next day while working 5 days in a row.. though I don't think I have ever had 7 days in a row though...

it's money.

last job i was on was a 17 day on and 4 day off hitch. 12 hour days with the odd 14-16 depending on what needed to be done at the time.

i took a monday to friday job to be home every day instead of holed up in camp, it's a 128km drive according to google maps and a 10hr shift, but fuck is it nice to sleep at home.

sandwiches are easy to make, buy lots of stuff that you like to put on them and good fresh buns. it's not expensive, super easy to prepare, and you can always do something different when you get tired of eating one thing. make them the night before, too, so you can just wake up and not have a pile of shit to do before you leave home.

the more time you put in, the more money you make, whining about work doesn't get you very far.

I have to work stretches like this on occasion.  It sucks but you survive.  My technique for dealing with it is to choose something you'd like to buy which is somewhat frivolous and you weren't planning on purchasing right away and make that thing your personal reward for sucking it up and getting things done.  Then every time you think about how much you don't want to be at work you just think how cool it will be to have your personal reward and you struggle through.  Never underestimate the power of incentive. 

1 hour ago, Strongbob said:

I have to work stretches like this on occasion.  It sucks but you survive.  My technique for dealing with it is to choose something you'd like to buy which is somewhat frivolous and you weren't planning on purchasing right away and make that thing your personal reward for sucking it up and getting things done.  Then every time you think about how much you don't want to be at work you just think how cool it will be to have your personal reward and you struggle through.  Never underestimate the power of incentive. 

It's funny, just last night I was considering the possibility that a significant amount of discretionary spending is done by people who work too much to do anything fun but exercise their spending power.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Gator said:

but i hate them

It's less about their individual personalities and more about organizing so you can have a say in your working conditions. Individually, you're at the whims of your employer; collectively, you can negotiate for better pay, a safer environment, benefits, ideally the way the work is organized as well (eg. your work schedule).

3 minutes ago, Pignog said:

It's less about their individual personalities and more about organizing so you can have a say in your working conditions. Individually, you're at the whims of your employer; collectively, you can negotiate for better pay, a safer environment, benefits, ideally the way the work is organized as well (eg. your work schedule).

also, people get along surprisingly better when they aren't under garbage working conditions

it turns out not being as exhausted and stressed makes life less exhausting and stressful

Reminds me of working at McDonald's. I normally get either 3 or 4 days a week of work, and the job sucks.

Hope you get a break soon. Working awful busy jobs with no off days in-between is hellish. Those off days are treasured, and your free time for a week has essentially been stolen from you. 

1 hour ago, Battlechili said:

Reminds me of working at McDonald's. I normally get either 3 or 4 days a week of work, and the job sucks.

Hope you get a break soon. Working awful busy jobs with no off days in-between is hellish. Those off days are treasured, and your free time for a week has essentially been stolen from you. 

Do you tell your coworkers you're a furry?

In my experience that's a good way to get people to not want you around.

5 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

Do you tell your coworkers you're a furry?

In my experience that's a good way to get people to not want you around.

>talking to your coworkers

>implying normies even know what a furry is

I'd like to know more about your experience though, if you're being serious. I don't talk to my coworkers unless I need help with something or am thanking them for helping me with something.

1 hour ago, Battlechili said:

I'd like to know more about your experience though, if you're being serious. I don't talk to my coworkers unless I need help with something or am thanking them for helping me with something.

hell no lol

I'd rather die than have my co-workers know I'm a ratfucking weirdo. Hard enough when this is your phone's wallpaper.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This last week I worked seven days. That is just including the Wed to Tues schedule and doesn't account for the attaching days from the previous week. My next day of is Thursday but I'm feeling exhausted so going to see if I can pass off my Friday and have three days off in a row. I bloody deserve it.

On 7/24/2016 at 4:50 PM, PastryOfApathy said:

hell no lol

I'd rather die than have my co-workers know I'm a ratfucking weirdo. Hard enough when this is your phone's wallpaper.

For me it is far too late.

Although to be honest, my obsession over metal vastly overshadows my involvement in the fandom. Metal first, cars second, video games third, then furries.