Oh No! 'Rainfurrest' is Might Stop Being a Thing!

PastryOfApathy

git dunkd on kid unless I'm retarded and i've been thoroughly japed by the internet once again

https://twitter.com/ToboeWolfyote/status/648054270525243394

https://twitter.com/shutuptoxxik/status/648059518652256256

That's NOT Taylor Swift...

THIS is Taylor Swift:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=taylor+swift+rainfurrest&biw=1366&bih=617&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoA2oVChMI8rnslLavyAIVwmk-Ch2sGQ--&dpr=1#tbm=isch&q=taylor+swift

Who that appears to be is ILoveCorgies: https://twitter.com/ilovecorgis/status/648640795554156544

That is also probably why ILoveCorgies has changed her name on twitter to say 'Miss Swift' and that's why she's tagged in your photos as well.

Also, please note the lack of TMZ, Gawker, and other tabloid news outlets with headlines that read 'SWIFT CRASHES FURRY CONVENTION!' or something to the like.

Or how about how the videos you linked DON'T have a MILLION furries commenting 'OMG TAYLOR SWIFT!!!' and instead they have a couple of comments each?

Deductive reasoning skills.  Use them.

Edited by AshleyAshes
  • Like 1

THIS is Taylor Swift:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=taylor+swift+rainfurrest&biw=1366&bih=617&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoA2oVChMI8rnslLavyAIVwmk-Ch2sGQ--&dpr=1#tbm=isch&q=taylor+swift

Who that appears to be is ILoveCorgies: https://twitter.com/ilovecorgis/status/648640795554156544

That is also probably why ILoveCorgies has changed her name on twitter to say 'Miss Swift' and that's why she's tagged in your photos as well.

Also, please note the lack of TMZ, Gawker, and other tabloid news outlets with headlines that read 'SWIFT CRASHES FURRY CONVENTION!' or something to the like.

Or how about how the videos you linked DON'T have a MILLION furries commenting 'OMG TAYLOR SWIFT!!!' and instead they have a couple of comments each?

git fukd nerd

• Like 1

THIS is Taylor Swift:

oh, Ashley this makes me sad. It's like telling children there is no Santa Clause.

Let them dream a little longer~ 

Conventions already have that in place in the case of an attendee violating the con rules and regulations and if the law has to get involved. Hotel upper management can issue trespassing notices to said offenderas well.

Exactly my point.  If things are getting out of hand, the Con staff is either incompetent, over worked, or both.   Or possibly complicit.

• Like 1

Create a terms of service and acceptable use policy for the Con.  Register attendees  with IRL verified names and valid picture ID documents.  Badge acceptance is implicit consent to the Con's TOS/AUP.  Identify hotel staff with the legal authority to process trespass requests and have them liaison with Con Ops.  Itinerant attendees are warned.  Persistent itinerant  attendees are banned and trespassed.  Returning bannees are automatically prosecuted criminally and civilly for damages; its a condition of tresspass and the Con is no longer involved.  Problem solved.

This doesn't really solve the problem though.  It's not just that hotels want problems to be dealt with, they want a minimum of problems to deal with in the first place.  Even having to eject members and involving the police if necessary, even if done as procedurally as possible, would garner the ire of the hotel because they'd like these things not to happen at all if possible.  A convention would be wiser to internally deal with 'problems' swiftly while minimizing the need for the hotel to be aware of the problems at all.

This doesn't really solve the problem though.  It's not just that hotels want problems to be dealt with, they want a minimum of problems to deal with in the first place.  Even having to eject members and involving the police if necessary, even if done as procedurally as possible, would garner the ire of the hotel because they'd like these things not to happen at all if possible.  A convention would be wiser to internally deal with 'problems' swiftly while minimizing the need for the hotel to be aware of the problems at all.

Unfortunately, if it involves destruction and vandalism of hotel property, the hotel has to step in. Either way, you bare going to get the ire of the hotel no matter how it was handled. If it is something like a dude walking around naked, save for a diaper and a pup play mask, that's where the con can step in and take care of it before hotel management hears about it.

In a shocking turn of events the most prestigious fetish convention in the world, 'Rainfurrest' might get booted from the hotel that hosts it!

Even after people shit/jerked off into their hot tube, threw used diapers at peoples carsdrilled glory holes in their public bathroomsand let this happen, fucking assholes. Some say fursecution is dead, I say they're dead wrong. We must fight this persecution by showcasing furry pride worldwide and stand united against those who wish to oppress our lifestyle, and our right to furiously masturbate to pictures of dogs fucking in public.

Show your support by tweeting with the hashtag #furrypride2015 and by donating to our kickstarter. Thank you furends! :3c

hah! 

I'll stipulate that the Hotel would rather these things not happen, but the Hotel is used to dealing with this on an operational basis; whether its rowdy furries or drunken Shriners, or Hockey hooligans is rather moot.

That Cons have been dealing with this sort of behavior  internally is probably how it got to this point in the first place.  Sweeping things under the carpet seems to be endemic in the fandom.   Word gets out that Con [name here] is pretty slack; you might get your badge pulled and kicked out, but that's it.

The solution is to charge criminally and prosecute civilly; if not by the Con then by the Hotel.  Cracking down and making an example out of a few bad apples is all it takes.  Word gets out that anti-social behavior is  no longer tolerated.  It wont eliminate the problem, but it will help to minimize the risk.  The Cons are typically NFP corporations and the directors/ops staff have a fiduciary responsibility.

Someone has to drill the glory holes. 

I'll have to add a sawzall to my Con going kit.

I'll stipulate that the Hotel would rather these things not happen, but the Hotel is used to dealing with this on an operational basis; whether its rowdy furries or drunken Shriners, or Hockey hooligans is rather moot.

It's not moot, it's not, fandom conventions really ARE a different animal.  I'm speaking to this from personal experience as staff of an anime convention who on it's first year in a hotel was flatly told that it would not be welcome to return for a second year.  We didn't even have anything really go WRONG (Other than someone stripping the leaves off a rubber tree plant.)  But the hotel did not like it.  We put 1600 young dorks in the building, they didn't just go to the rooms in the convention (This place was apparently very unused to having THAT many people in the hallways of the convention center).  We fill the hallways, fill the fouriers, fill the mezzanines, trapes across the landscaping to get staged costume photos, we bring props that are eight feet tall and, most importantly, we bring young people.  Fandom conventions really are NOT compatible to the other clientele of of convention centers.  We're an entirely different animal.  Even at say, Anime North can't access parts of the Toronto Congress Center (The part up front, if you've ever been, they're too afraid of damages that the TCC refuses to rent that section out to the con because it has a lot of expensive classy stuff in it) because 20 000 nerds is a large hassle.  Some convention centers are understanding, some get that they'll make more money on this weekend than they do from other clients via their ancillary service offersings, but others, if there's trouble, are quick to go '...Oh just FUCK this shit'.

• Like 1

It's not moot,

I'll restate.  Moot in the sense that the Hotel/Venue will have established protocols for dealing with rowdy guests as part of their day to day operating procedures and will know how to handle scenarios that Con staff may not be equipped to deal with.   It doesn't really matter that the rowdies are furries, shriners or even a drunken wedding party.

If the Hotel/Convention Centre/Venue can't deal with this basic operational risk, then the Con Directors/Organizers have a fiduciary responsibility to their attendees to pic a venu that can.

I'll restate.  Moot in the sense that the Hotel/Venue will have established protocols for dealing with rowdy guests as part of their day to day operating procedures and will know how to handle scenarios that Con staff may not be equipped to deal with.   It doesn't really matter that the rowdies are furries, shriners or even a drunken wedding party.

If the Hotel/Convention Centre/Venue can't deal with this basic operational risk, then the Con Directors/Organizers have a fiduciary responsibility to their attendees to pic a venu that can.

Your comparisons are weird. O.o  Weddings are much smaller than fan conventions, what would constitute a 'massive wedding' would be a 'small convention' and are only one evening long rather than an entire weekend.  Shriner's, the Lions Club, and other fraternity like organizations are growing smaller with every year.  Their heights were hit in the 60's. O.o

Further more, losing hotels isn't a good thing either.  Again, with the example of the convention I'd staffed, we had outgrown all the other hotel convention centers in the city, by losing access to the large one that didn't like the clientele we brought we were faced with a decision where each option sucked; Return to a previous hotel and set an attendance cap of 1000, where as at the last year we'd attracted 1600 or fold.  The convention folded.

I just feel like you're saying there's a 'solution that'll work' when that isn't necessarily true.  These are delicate situations and hotels can (Not all, one smaller hotel LOVED us and welcomed us back, but they were too small because of how we'd grown) be fickle to deal with.  You can deal with you attendees, but if they refuse to cooperate, you risk having hotel and even law enforcement involved.  You can involve the hotel but each time you do involve the hotel, you are shortening your rope with them.  If your attendees are going to be a big enough of a problem (And sometimes the 'problems' aren't even behavioral that can be reprimanded).  The hotel and it's convention facilities options in a given city be limited.  Not to mention that in larger cities you have competition for weekends and must also consider your convention's weekend in the region or even the nation.  'So, they have a weekend free for us.  It's the same weekend as Anthrocon!  ...Fuck.'  Sometimes you're just screwed.

...And this is why I don't STAFF conventions anymore.  It's a crazy rush but these days I just want to pay admission and spend money in the dealers room. >_>

Weddings at hotels usually last for two days since they expect guests to arrive, have a pre-wedding dinner, the wedding the next day, and the reception afterwards.

Yes, hotels have protocols for handling "rockstar rowdiness" in the way of destruction of property, vandalism, pulling fire alarms, noise complaints, and theft of patron or hotel property. As delicate things go at conventions, a lot of it rests upon the Convention and its staff, especially if the law has to get involved multiple times. 

It's a shame that Rainfurrest has to move venues due to a handful of furs that treat cons like a college frat party, but lets hope that this is a wake-up call for the con staffers to curb this behavior and potentially share a ban list for furs who have violated both hotel and convention rules in the near future. 

Edited by Ozriel

Furry is a fandom, not a fetish, I swear you guys! Furry is the worst "fandom" ever. I don't know if RF will pass the test next year. Furries are furries, so bad shit will happen.

The more bad press the fetishists get, the better. Maybe in the future it'll be better. Maybe there will be less people who are convinced that "F for Furry" should be added to LGBTQ. Less slutty fratboys who trash everything and are only here for a quick fuck, "to hell with the hotel, my pleasure/drunkeness comes first."

Maybe not. 

Your comparisons are weird. O.o  Weddings are much smaller than fan conventions, what would constitute a 'massive wedding' would be a 'small convention' and are only one evening long rather than an entire weekend.  Shriner's, the Lions Club, and other fraternity like organizations are growing smaller with every year.  Their heights were hit in the 60's. O.o

I'll try to over simplify it some more.  Hotels, regardless of size, have a duty of care to their patrons.  Because of this legal obligation, they will have in place operational policies and procedures to ensure the safety, comfort and enjoyment of their patrons.  This extends to all patrons on the property; regardless if they are attending a third party function that is renting the facility or not.  Con Directors (and by extension, Con Staff) must be prepared to engage and partner with the Hotel staff to resolve issues quickly and promptly.   Con Directors have an additional fiduciary responsibility to their con-goers; they have an obligation to make sure that the con is well run and not shutdown by the Hotel; unless its for reasons beyond their control.

Further more, losing hotels isn't a good thing either.  Again, with the example of the convention I'd staffed, we had outgrown all the other hotel convention centers in the city, by losing access to the large one that didn't like the clientele we brought we were faced with a decision where each option sucked; Return to a previous hotel and set an attendance cap of 1000, where as at the last year we'd attracted 1600 or fold.  The convention folded.

While anecdotal, its not really germane to the topic at hand.  Attendance caps at public functions are the norm, usually governed by an occupancy permit.  So its unlikely that the reason said Con ceased operations due soley to space limitations.  I suspect there may have been other contributory factors.  

I just feel like you're saying there's a 'solution that'll work' when that isn't necessarily true.

There is always a solution that will work; if the Con organization has the intellectual capital and the will to make is so.  It doesn't prevent bad stuff from happening, but it does show lawfully defensible due diligence and risk mitigation when something bad does happen. 

You can deal with you attendees, but if they refuse to cooperate, you risk having hotel and even law enforcement involved. 

Which was actually my point.  You want the Hotel to trespass the offenders (a lawful lifetime ban on attending the property under threat of criminal prosecution), and if necessary involve law enforcement immediately and directly for untoward criminal acts.  Its the adult, corporately responsible thing to do.   And Con directors have an obligation to their other patrons to ensure that its done.

You can involve the hotel but each time you do involve the hotel, you are shortening your rope with them. 

Its a valid risk.  But Con directors need to let go of the "Hide it from the hotel, or we'll lose our Con space next year" mentality and adopt a "We're responsible corporate citizens and we will deal with the problems transparently and openly." mentality.  From the Hotel/Convention Centre's perspective, which is the better response?  "Hey it wasn't us that trashed the parking lot and public washrooms" or "Yes we had some unruly patrons, we've had them removed, charged criminally and they will be paying restitution directly."

The Con's that I attended were all run by Corporate boards of directors.  They may be not for profit (or the US equivalent) but this does not free them from their professional obligations.  If Rainfurrest is in jeopardy, the blame lays 100% with its board of Governance.

• Like 1

"Hey it wasn't us that trashed the parking lot and public washrooms" or "Yes we had some unruly patrons, we've had them removed, charged criminally and they will be paying restitution directly."

And if the response is: "So, I don't like having to explain my bosses, the owners of this hotel, why the police had to show up four times this weekend or explain to them why the legal team now has to sue your ejected attendees for damages.  To avoid this problem from happening again, I won't be signing any more contracts with your convention.  Good luck in your future endeavors."?

I'm sorry, but it's entirely unrealistic and disgustingly idealistic to believe that there is -always- a 'right set of moves' to make to ensure that no matter what goes wrong, a hotel doesn't sour on a convention that it's hosting.  Real life isn't a predictable game where there's an FAQ that you can look up to find the detailed list of every maneuver to make to ensure victory.

Edited by AshleyAshes

Its a valid risk.  But Con directors need to let go of the "Hide it from the hotel, or we'll lose our Con space next year" mentality and adopt a "We're responsible corporate citizens and we will deal with the problems transparently and openly." mentality.  From the Hotel/Convention Centre's perspective, which is the better response?  "Hey it wasn't us that trashed the parking lot and public washrooms" or "Yes we had some unruly patrons, we've had them removed, charged criminally and they will be paying restitution directly."

The Con's that I attended were all run by Corporate boards of directors.  They may be not for profit (or the US equivalent) but this does not free them from their professional obligations.  If Rainfurrest is in jeopardy, the blame lays 100% with its board of Governance.

I agree here quite a bit.
But this is furries we are talking about responsible actions and public don't go together it seems.
Everyone seems to want to goof off and be irresponsible yet thousands are on the line and it takes a eagle eye and nerve.

I don't think there will ever be a Con with real control or punishments till someone loses real money or one makes the investment and they are not a furry so they can run it for profit.

The furry fandom seems to have this identity issue.  Even in the Kink scenes, everyone understands what is and isn't acceptable at a given venue and it's explained pretty clearly.  The furry conventions seem to muddy the things, where they edge into confusing waters like; 'Collar, okay, leash, well, maybe not at AC, oh sure the sandwich place down the street is giving away dog bowls (Really, the sandwich place by AC that eventually closed gave out dog bowls proportionally), no wait please stop eating out of the dog bowl on your hands and knees, oh yeah we have a cub area for the babyfurs, but we've not made anything clear on the rest of the con'.  And the furry cons seem resistant to making their rules clear and defined.  Like, this whole leather pup in a diaper thing oculd have been solved simply with 'Yes, you have to wear some kind of bottom, be it pants, a skirt, kilt, dress, or something that has a definite 'bottom'.'

It's because there are two sides of the furry fandom that only partially overlap: One into anthros (whether that be clean or erotic), and the other, sexuality-based "lifestyler" side here for a quick fuck and a place to share their fetishes with the world. They only may be leripherally interested in anthros, or they are TOO interested in animals. The first group is your standard fandom, weird porn and all. The second group is out-in-the-open fetishists and social outcasts. This group kinda won. 

• Like 2

It's because there are two sides of the furry fandom that only partially overlap: One into anthros (whether that be clean or erotic), and the other, sexuality-based "lifestyler" side here for a quick fuck and a place to share their fetishes with the world. They only may be leripherally interested in anthros, or they are TOO interested in animals. The first group is your standard fandom, weird porn and all. The second group is out-in-the-open fetishists and social outcasts. This group kinda won. 

There's an inherent asymmetry here between (relatively) ordinary people and deranged exhibitionists. No matter how many ordinary people there are around, all it takes is one determined crazy to ruin everything. I think Irreverent has the right idea here that all you can really do is remove troublemakers as early as possible and make sure they can never return.

As a side note: when I think of the population at furry/anime conventions, I don't usually think of stereotypical frat dwellers, and I'm from Florida. Is there some weird university out there where this is a thing?

And if the response is: "So, I don't like having to explain my bosses, the owners of this hotel, why the police had to show up four times this weekend or explain to them why the legal team now has to sue your ejected attendees for damages.  To avoid this problem from happening again, I won't be signing any more contracts with your convention.  Good luck in your future endeavors."?

It is a risk.  Its better that the Con (as an org) take on the rowdies and recoup damages, then to be sued by the renting organization for damages.  Incorporation does NOT shield Con directors and staff from unlimited liability.   It generally  goes badly for you in court  when your strategy is to sweep criminality under the table, instead of showing a rational response  and clearly defined due diligence.  I'd even go so far as to suggest that showing a reluctant renting agency your "lessons learned and risk mitigation stratagies" would go a long, long way to getting back into their good books, so to speak.

I'm sorry, but it's entirely unrealistic and disgustingly idealistic to believe that there is -always- a 'right set of moves' to make to ensure that no matter what goes wrong, a hotel doesn't sour on a convention that it's hos

ting.  Real life isn't a predictable game where there's an FAQ that you can look up to find the detailed list of every maneuver to make to ensure victory.

I think we'll have to politely agree to disagree.  There is always an ethical, responsible, legally defensible set of moves to anticipate problems and have proactive due diligence and reactive plans in place, should things go pare shaped. Its how business works.    True, your best laid plans may not always work, but to throw ones hands up and shout, "shit happens!" in a corporate board room or court room is not the viable solution.  If that were the case, the hospitality industry would cease to exist as we know it. 

Rainfurrest has a problem.  If they get turfed from their current venue and need to go in search of a new venue, having documented due diligence and experiential based plans to deal with issues will go a long way to assuaging the concerns of their next venue.  It may just keep them from getting turfed in the first place.

It is a risk.  Its better that the Con (as an org) take on the rowdies and recoup damages, then to be sued by the renting organization for damages.  Incorporation does NOT shield Con directors and staff from unlimited liability.   It generally  goes badly for you in court  when your strategy is to sweep criminality under the table, instead of showing a rational response  and clearly defined due diligence.  I'd even go so far as to suggest that showing a reluctant renting agency your "lessons learned and risk mitigation stratagies" would go a long, long way to getting back into their good books, so to speak.

I think we'll have to politely agree to disagree.  There is always an ethical, responsible, legally defensible set of moves to anticipate problems and have proactive due diligence and reactive plans in place, should things go pare shaped. Its how business works.    True, your best laid plans may not always work, but to throw ones hands up and shout, "shit happens!" in a corporate board room or court room is not the viable solution.  If that were the case, the hospitality industry would cease to exist as we know it. 

Rainfurrest has a problem.  If they get turfed from their current venue and need to go in search of a new venue, having documented due diligence and experiential based plans to deal with issues will go a long way to assuaging the concerns of their next venue.  It may just keep them from getting turfed in the first place.

I think you and I are half talking about different things now that I read this post.  Certainly, there are BEST courses of actions that should be taken and I don't disagree with you, other than a convention should try to eject it's attendees without the hotel's involvement and only involve the hotel if the attendee refuses or resists to leave.  If your attendee is all 'Shucks, okay fine. :/' and leaves, the hotel was never needed.

However I think you are being needlessly optimistic that EVERY situation can be dealt with in the best possible and the day can be saved and the problem as Rainfurrest put it...

This year’s incidents include two plumber calls, a flooded bathroom that soaked the offices underneath

Flooding the hotel's offices is definitely on the list of things that put your convention, or in seriously risk of being put into, the 'get the fuck out of here and never comeback' scenario.  I mean really, flooded offices, it's a pretty damning thing to have go wrong.

Porn awards convention never gets kicked out of a hotel.

But furries do...

Shameful.

Porn sites never have trouble with commercial advertising networks or processing credit cards. Furry sites get blacklisted without a second thought. Online virtual world selling virtual realistic anatomy also has no problem with those same payment processing companys.

The world isn't really all that fair or rational.

Porn sites never have trouble with commercial advertising networks or processing credit cards. Furry sites get blacklisted without a second thought. Online virtual world selling virtual realistic anatomy also has no problem with those same payment processing companys.

I wasn't talking about websites.

I was talking about hotels and convention centres. 

AVN awards is in Vegas every year. Never gets kicked out and it's packed with pervs. 

Yet furrys can't get a hotel?

Neither Are Furries...

AVN awards is in Vegas every year. Never gets kicked out and it's packed with pervs. 

when's the last time you heard about a porn star shitting in a hot tub at a con?

Edited by evan

Ya know, I gotta imagine that LV, the way it is, the tourism, the casinos, and all of that, those hotels probably have a slightly different standard of what is 'acceptable behavior'.  I mean, I'm sure that they get upset once people start destroying the hotels offices, I still imagine that you can get away with more in LV than you can in Seattle.  Also, to be honest, isn't the AVN more of an awards show and trade show?

Okay, so.. I've worked in porn.

500:1 says they had a contract with the hotel to perform a shoot. See, thanks to a lot of new restrictive condom-mandatory/regulated shooting set laws in Chatsworth and such, a lot of porn filming is moving out of SoCal and heading to Vegas. Subsequently, the porn companies also handle after-cleanup and thus the hotels have zero problems.

See that sounds responsible and sane, very professional
Unfortunately that is definitely not Furries, seems actual ethics and professionalism don't apply to their thinking

• Like 1

Nope. It's a huge marketing self-aggrandizing pay-to-play astroturf spot. Been there, had the titties in my face, got invited to hotel rooms to shoot contract-based amateur.

I understood the later half of what you said, the 'pay-to-play' makes it sound like prostitution is involved and 'AstroTurf spot' is where you lost me entirely. O.o

It's always the 1 fucking loser that ruins it for everybody. It's the same everywhere.

Last job I was on, there were one or a few prick-ass motherfuckers that figured it'd be a good idea to flush paper towel down the toilet in our wash cars on a regular basis. We had several meetings where our client rep would tell us that if it kept up, they'd take them out. The paper towel would jam up all the plumbing and the client would have to foot the bill to bring in vac trucks and folk to clear out all the lines every singe time. Naturally, that pissed them off to the fuck-you point. I was on night shift and whoever the fuck it was on days went ahead and fucked everybody residing under our contract, because they ripped the wash cars out and replaced them with those dirty, junk-ass porta-johns. Whoever that or those assholes were or was went ahead and screwed over about 250 people.

Same thing with the furry community, albeit with a larger concentration of stupid than your standard demographic, all it takes is some inept reject to fuck something over for everybody. The joys of our own natural inclination as a society.

Too bad we didn't just call stupid people stupid instead of the people they are inadvertently associated with.

Edited by Wrecker
little more clarification
  • Like 2