Final Fantasy

aeroxwolf

as a wee babe i used to think cid being an angry old man was silly since he was like 30-something, but im only a few years away now and about as bitter a human being, so good job square a+ research

The ye old japanese concept of once you are over the age of 25, you are considered old =p

The main character of Final Fantasy XII was 36. Still had a lot of life in him.

3931675-7591100840-hufud.jpg

It pleases me that you say this because in truth him and Ashe were the main characters and Tagalong Kid #2351 and Desk Lamp were just ugh.......as much as I loved FF XII, the things it could have been. I honestly wish they didn't do fake protag pull with Reks because honestly he would have had a much stronger conflict with Basch and the whole "betrayal" and his motivations to help the kingdom would have been stronger.

Whereas is Vaan just "Raaaaaaaarrr I want revenge, also I want to be a skypirate." and Penelo is just....a slight conversation starter with Larsa and then an animated object for the rest. 

and nanaki is 47 if I'm not mistaken.  

@yell0wf0x If you think of it as Dog and Human years.

He's 45-48 but still a teenager by his species standards

Edited by Naesaki

I hear they've made FFVII Episodic, now.

Leave it to Squeenix to take something good and rip it to shreds with fucking episodic content.

What, am I going to have to spend $20 to get Vincent to join my party? $14.99 to get Yuffie? $100 to keep Aerith alive?

They already fucked up the combat system and now this nonsense. I was hype, no longer. It's a clear money grab of the worst kind.

Aren't you jumping the gun a bit and assuming the worst possible outcome? Unless they want to commit company suicide they wouldn't do those "microtransactions type of deals."

Honestly they'll probably split it the same way its originally spit on PSOne, if they want to get in the amount of content they have planned, honestly condensing it into one game, they would need to cut a lot of corners, I mean there is no denying that this is a money grab as well but eh I'm reserving my judgement until we have more information.

As for the combat system I honestly never expected them to return to turn based so I honestly don't mind and I enjoyed Crisis Core and KH's combat so if its a blend of the two them I'm fine with that, we can switch who we control in combat on the fly and they seem to have plans for a combo like system so knowing when to switch to which party member to get the most out of them as well seems like it could be quite entertaining.

Edited by Naesaki
  • Like 1

it's actually human years. He was born 48 years ago but as ye mention, in his species, 48 is still considered as a 15/16 in terms of maturity. 

I think Bugenhagen calls him a child a lot as well and that he's still got a long way to go, to be like his mother and father.  I'm rather intrigued to what he'll look like and whether they still having him on his floating green ball as a kid I used to assume he didn't have a lower body and the orb was his replacement so he could still be mobile xD

22 hours ago, Naesaki said:

I think Bugenhagen calls him a child a lot as well and that he's still got a long way to go, to be like his mother and father.  I'm rather intrigued to what he'll look like and whether they still having him on his floating green ball as a kid I used to assume he didn't have a lower body and the orb was his replacement so he could still be mobile xD

I actually thought he was another species. xD

3 hours ago, Toshabi said:

it was either make it into episodes or turn it into the delayed shitfest that is Kingdom Hearts 3.

I think the episodic direction is the better choice. Ffvii was a big game and having to remake everything would mean making it an even bigger game. Just hope they don't go all lazy like and shit. I'm also hoping there'd be physical copies of all the episodes.  I don't think I can handle more downloading.  It'll take ages. That said, I'm curious how'd se would go about this.  

I WAS DEAD WRONG

Final Fantasy XIII's pc port is annoying. The cutscenes are ugly since they're from the 360 port and for some reason I keep getting random framerate drops for no good reason.

Please tell me there's a fix for at least the framerate drops ;_;

It pleases me that you say this because in truth him and Ashe were the main characters and Tagalong Kid #2351 and Desk Lamp were just ugh.......as much as I loved FF XII, the things it could have been. I honestly wish they didn't do fake protag pull with Reks because honestly he would have had a much stronger conflict with Basch and the whole "betrayal" and his motivations to help the kingdom would have been stronger.

Whereas is Vaan just "Raaaaaaaarrr I want revenge, also I want to be a skypirate." and Penelo is just....a slight conversation starter with Larsa and then an animated object for the rest. 

While I agree with your sentiment, Vaan wasn't completely useless. If it weren't for him, Ashe would've went down a path of senseless vengeance.

Edited by Battlechili

1 hour ago, Battlechili said:

I WAS DEAD WRONG

Final Fantasy XIII's pc port is annoying. The cutscenes are ugly since they're from the 360 port and for some reason I keep getting random framerate drops for no good reason.

Please tell me there's a fix for at least the framerate drops ;_;

While I agree with your sentiment, Vaan wasn't completely useless. If it weren't for him, Ashe would've went down a path of senseless vengeance.

The problem is Vaan and Penelo were added very late into development and I honestly think the role of setting Ashe on the path away from vengeance could have gone to Basch or even Larsa as he would have made a great permanent party member I think.

Though there was originally a plan to have Vaan and Ashe be brother and sister but they decided to forgo this dynamic and went the route we ended up with.

I think its quite fun to think about these things really.

14 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII on PC requires you to be online at all times in order to play it.

why Square

why

Most likely cuz of the outerworld services. That always took so much time syncing when I was playing it on my ps3. It also requines facebook. Then again, ye don't need to be online all the time back then and since i dont have facebook, i didnt really need that. 

I could never bring myself to finish Lightning Returns because about halfway through the game I got bored of it just being one massive side-quest with a few important cutscenes every few days or so. The combat was fun and all but it just got dull running around the same boring areas grinding for a certain amount of a specific material or talking to one random person to begin the next quest, most of which were a waste of time because the reward was shit.

The Schemata system seemed interesting at first but after a while that just basically became a thing where it was necessity to have at least 1 damaging class, a buff/debuff and something along the lines of a Ravager from the earlier titles.

7 minutes ago, Battlechili said:

There are a large number of users in the Steam forums defending this too.

Its scaring me.

Everything seems so inconsistent in the artstyle, its like 3 different artists came together and plopped all their ideas down on the page.

37 minutes ago, Pignog said:

it's a couple steps removed from building a game around Microsoft Word clipart

With it being on steam I wonder if someone could actually mod it so it looks more like the PSX version etc or better yet just make it all look consistent.

Any of you guys seen footage for the Dissidia 2015 version? It's only out in Japanese arcades right now but they're testing it on PS4 to see if it could be ported. It looks awesome! The graphics are absolutely stunning and all the characters look perfect, watch some gameplay on YouTube, there's plenty on there but it's all in Japanese.

• Like 1

I liked X, and I liked 12.

Haven't really bothered with many of the others, because I'm really not a JRPG person. (I like Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Cross / Trigger, Legend of Legaia, and Persona 4, and that's about it.)

I wouldn't mind running through X again, though.

Edited by Vae

24 minutes ago, Vae said:

Haven't really bothered with many of the others, because I'm really not a JRPG person. (I like Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Cross / Trigger, Legend of Legaia, and Persona 4, and that's about it.)

X and XII are by my favorites too, I liked 13 quite a lot of as well but the combat system didn't feel as fun. 12's MMO style was a nice change of pace and I LOVE turn based combat systems, just a shame a lot of the more recent final fantasy titles seem to be drifting further away from it :(

7 hours ago, Foxxy said:

I play Final Fantasy Tactic A2: Grimmor of the rift for the Nintendo DS. Its kinda old but still a good one.

I really got into A2 at first, but I'm a completionist so I had to do all the side missions. At some point I realised I had put 100hrs+ into the game and was nowhere near the end. I put it down to focus on studying but then sold all my DS stuff. Kinda wanna finish it but I got no time for gamin these days

44 minutes ago, Vae said:

Trigger and P3/4 are probably some of the best RPGs of all time. Throw in FF4/6/7/T and you've played all the good JRPGs.

How many of you have played SHADOW MADNESS? Ted Woolsey, the translator of the early FFs, left Square in the late 1990s and founded his own company. It's a complete knockoff of FF7 but the dialogue is ridiculous. I found it used a while ago for like $10, worth every penny.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2016 at 8:18 PM, PastryOfApathy said:

But it is the final Final Fantasy XV.

XV-2 will happen, just you watch.

X had X-2. XI had expansion packs. XII had Revenant Wings. XIII had XIII-2 and Lightning Returns. XIV had expansion packs. You better believe XV won't be the last we see of XV.

Edited by Battlechili

1 hour ago, Battlechili said:

XV-2 will happen, just you watch.

X had X-2. XI had expansion packs. XII had Revenant Wings. XIII had XIII-2 and Lightning Returns. XIV had expansion packs. You better believe XV won't be the last we see of XV.

I guess that goes to show how much I pay attention to dead game franchises.

OH SNAP

18 minutes ago, Half-Note said:

Bleh. I messed up the titles.

Its fine. They're kind of related anyways. Kingdom Hearts has plenty of FF stuff in it.

12 minutes ago, PastryOfApathy said:

KH makes me sad. So much wasted potential.

There are a lot of things it could have been. A lot of people especially wish that Disney stuff had more focus instead of it being more based on original content these days. I like the direction its gone in but I understand where people are coming from when they say stuff like that.

26 minutes ago, Half-Note said:

It wasn't profitable enough. Let's form a lynch mob to hang Disney's CEO for being capitalistic.

I'm not sure what you mean.

KH games do fairly well from what I understand sales wise.

• Like 1