Rave: Being an adult so I can cook what I want

Ginpanther

I'm not feeling super-hungry tonight but I am feeling peckish and finally I realized I was having a craving for something different than I've made in a long time. So this rave is dedicated to the best part of being an adult: not having to make a complete and balanced meal if I don't feel like it!

I fired up the stove, got it pre-heated to 425 degrees F and have just put in a serving of Ore-Ida Bold & Crispy fries to cook. I love things that have a bit of heat and spice to them, and I grew up on a farm so potatoes were just a standard component of every dinner ever, so these should be awesome. I might be in my mid 30s but it makes me feel like a kid getting his wish come true when I'm able to make a snack like seasoned fries and have to cook nothing else.

What's your favorite snack-like food to cook when you're feeling snackish but don't want to make a "real meal?"

I love cooking pasta shells in a nicely seasoned stock, just watching it simmer away with the spices I put in until its just right for me to pour the pasta in to cook and take in all that flavour.

Then I mix up some sweet chilli and mayo in the meantime instead of doing a full pasta sauce, I put it to one side and then dice up pre-cooked chicken and marinate it in the chilli and mayo mix.

Drain the pasta, then mix in the chicken and the sauce, dish up and then top it all off with breadcrumb like bacon bits <3 <3 <3

I see a few folks after my own (lazy) heart and a few folks with serious passion for cooking. Now I'm thinking of what ghetto creations I can whip together to fuse the two styles.

I encourage y'all to post your creations (lazy and enthusiast alike) here, similar to what 6tails has been doing in his thread. 

On the topic of home cooking, let me share a sizzling anecdote with all of you.

Today, I was asked to watch some cooking pans whilst my parents were making a quick trip out. 
There were two pans piled on top of each other on this hob. And I never bothered to check what was in the one underneath.

It was rice.

It burned. There was smoke and the fire alarm went off.

And I pissed off my dad.

Whoops

I love to cook, and live for weekends when I can create/experiment in the kitchen for my family; usually with a glass of good wine or an old time cocktail at hand.   But if I want something hot, and more than just natchos, its Welsh Rarebit.  Melted cheese on anything, actually.

What's so hard about investing 2 hour of your life to cook something healthy?

What's so hard about investing 2 hour of your life to cook something healthy?

I don't know if this is sarcasm or not.
But two hours is way too long to invest in something that's just going to become shit later.

I could invest in a temporary pleasure, or I could invest in a hobby with a permanent, lasting product.
Only one of these things actually matters to me.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is sarcasm or not.But two hours is way too long to invest in something that's just going to become shit later.

I could invest in a temporary pleasure, or I could invest in a hobby with a permanent, lasting product.
Only one of these things actually matters to me.

It's not sarcasm. You can set up your Lunch/Dinner on the start of the day. Lentil and Cheese Casserole is quick and easy to make

• Like 1

It's not sarcasm. You can set up your Lunch/Dinner on the start of the day. Lentil and Cheese Casserole is quick and easy to make

Two hours is not quick, unless you're saying you would divide those two hours across lunch and dinner. Then it's a bit more reasonable.

Myself? I don't eat breakfast. I haven't been able to stomach it since I had to eat fatty, soggy bacon and donuts every day for two weeks during deer camp in my teens.

Two hours is not quick, unless you're saying you would divide those two hours across lunch and dinner. Then it's a bit more reasonable.

Myself? I don't eat breakfast. I haven't been able to stomach it since I had to eat fatty, soggy bacon and donuts every day for two weeks during deer camp in my teens.

If people feel cooking is such a waste of time, I think it's best to stick with instant. As a chef I don't feel like 2 hours planning and cooking meals is too much. 

• Like 1

Not everyone enjoys cooking. And if you don't enjoy cooking then you are probably going to minimize the amount of time you spend on cooking and related activities. It's the difference between a hobby and an obligation. I'm just always reminded of this fact whenever I see people saying you must spend however much time in the kitchen dealing with food preparation after first purchasing some assortment of perishable ingredients.

Edited by Onnes

If people feel cooking is such a waste of time, I think it's best to stick with instant. As a chef I don't feel like 2 hours planning and cooking meals is too much. 

If I'm cooking for other people~ 2 hours isn't much in terms of planning/cooking a meal.

If I'm just feeding myself though I generally want something faster.

i think 2 hours is a bit of a stretch for regular every day cooking

its not so much about the time you invest so much as it is about technique and knowledge

more knowledge and technique, less time spent efforting at cooking

or the simpler you cook the less time spent

i dunno i just really dont like microwave food, it all tastes the same, too salty and mushy

one of my biggest pet peeves is when people just put their dishes in the sink without rinsing it so it gets all crusty and impossible to clean off later xD

*shudders* While was I staying at the BF's, he lives in a houseshare with friends for University.....I don't know what one of them ate, but when I looked in the bowl in the sink, my bowels turned inside out and I nearly passed out from the smell, no idea what it was but it looked like a congealed.....fetus.....or something.....it was red, green and purple..... ._____.;

I couldn't stop thinking. "Why....why didn't you clean it when you brought it in, why did you just leave it to stew in the bloody sink!?"

A part of me died that day.

• Like 1

I could make delicious grillemcheeses at all hours of the day forever. Sometimes I'll add ham or bacon or heat up a can of tomato soup, just to make it fancy.

Grilled cheese sandwiches are the light of my life.

one of my biggest pet peeves is when people just put their dishes in the sink without rinsing it so it gets all crusty and impossible to clean off later xD

Oh my god don't even get me started. I could strangle someone over this. SOAK YOUR DISHES.

ALSO

DISHWASHERS DON'T WASH. THEY SANITIZE. GET THE FOOD OFF YOUR DISHES BEFORE YOU PUT THEM IN THERE I HATE YOU.

I shall be living alone with my dogs in 3 weeks I cannot fucking wait.

Edited by Lever Puller
  • Like 2

A proper pizza dough at minimum takes an hour to prepare. Home-made sauce? Yea, expect that to go another couple hours if slow-simmered as it should be.

Absolutely worth the time.

At least these things can be done in parallel so that it's not quite the same duration as if done end-to-end.

As for things I make: Too many.

Examples:

562e8d2d5c3e0_https3A2F2F36.media.tumblr

Banana, peanut butter, honey toast with an omelette and strawberry and blueberry parfait.

562e8d384218c_https3A2F2F41.media.tumblr

Strawberry banana oatmeal and blueberry french toast and ham.

562e8d46dfd2f_https3A2F2F40.media.tumblr

Marinated chicken with asparagus and bacon and mashed potatoes.

562e8d5264001_https3A2F2F41.media.tumblr

Beef. Muthafucken. Stew.

562e8d621df02_https3A2F2F41.media.tumblr

There's a ribeye under there, I swear. I like my veggies!

Edited by Lever Puller
  • Like 2