Hardcore steven universe fans cause artist to commit suicide

Nova

Did you all heard the story of zamii070 the artist that got bullied by hardcore steven universe fans because of her art style .

She tried to kill herself but she is still alive and in an Hospital. Go on tumblr.

Actually its really sick what happened. And only because of these stupid ass retard bitches.

(I hope you can read what i wrote)

I gotta be honest, all I really see is one kid on the internet arguing about their art style with other kids on the internet, with nothing confirming that an actual suicide attempt too place other than that particular kid announcing 'Going to sleep forever' on Twitter.  Frankly, I'm of the opinion that announcing ones suicide attempt is counter productive to the suicide process.  Telling others tends to cause police and paramedics to turn up and put a stop to it.

• Like 1

I think I need more details on what the hell the artist did that was so damn bad since I don't watch Steven Universe.

But it sounds rather benign, isn't the complaint on par with harassing someone for drawing canonically human characters as furries?

Fuckin' radical leftists man... said the radical leftist.

I think I need more details on what the hell the artist did that was so damn bad since I don't watch Steven Universe.

But it sounds rather benign, isn't the complaint on par with harassing someone for drawing canonically human characters as furries?

They apparently drew Rose Quartz from Steven Universe as skinny, where as the character is about 10 feet tall and curvy.  They also drew Fluttershy as a brown skinned Native American.  ...A HUMAN Native American no less.  How the fuck are you supposed to clop to huuuuuumyns?

Well they harrased her she drew rose quarzt......THIN and then they called her a fatphobic and also they called her racist and more because of other arts.

And they also maked blogs against her like"zamii070sucks" and that is sick to the max to torture her like that.

Edited by Nova

They apparently drew Rose Quartz from Steven Universe as skinny, where as the character is about 10 feet tall and curvy.  They also drew Fluttershy as a brown skinned Native American.  ...A HUMAN Native American no less.  How the fuck are you supposed to clop to huuuuuumyns?

If this was done in a live adaption like how they whitewashed Katniss What's-her-name from The Hunger games I can understand, but... it's just fanart. For fuck's sake. People can draw whatever they fucking please.

Goddamn basement dwellers, someone oughta mow 'em down with an AC-47 at this point.

I don't understand why cyber bullying is a serious issue...block the people or stop crying

Someone doesn't have a fucking clue.

Edited by Kellie Gator
  • Like 1

On one hand, there's a very self-entitled mentality surrounding fanart on the internet, in the name of "representation", which basically amounts to "Draw these things the way I headcanon them or I'm gonna harass the shit out of you."
And it needs to stop.
And I'm glad the creators are like "Haha fuck you guys." about it.

On the other, if this shit was truly taxing her in such a way, and putting such an impact on her mental health that she would be willing to kill herself,
she needs to learn how to separate herself from these situations.
The internet is not like real life.
You can get up, you can walk away, you can hide under anonymity while still participating if you truly put in an effort, you can turn off inboxes and messaging systems.
And people need to realize this.
Most of these types will back the fuck down if you're reasonable but firm with them. If you give them absolutely no room to shove their foot in the door to keep bothering you.
The thing about this mentality is that it relies on having easy victims to bully.

• Like 4

The problem with SWJs in any fandom is that they do not understand the line between open discussion and crit and Bullying. And most of the people who do the bullying are either teenagers or adults who feel the need to intrude and become armchair activists with the "might is right" attitude. Sometimes, they refuse that their actions may harm someone or send someone to self-harm and they do not care. Their opinion is "Well they should've learned anyway, stupid fatphobic/racist/homo/transphobic wastes of flesh" and they think it is a well earned victory, the same way that /b/ in the past saw success with trolling an epilepsy forum and drove people to hospitals with too many flashing GIFs.

Or, just you know disagree with the artist's interpretation of a character and move on.

Edited by Ozriel
  • Like 3

The problem with SWJs in any fandom is that they do not understand the line between open discussion and crit and Bullying. And most of the people who do the bullying are either teenagers or adults who feel the need to intrude and become armchair activists with the "might is right" attitude. 

Or, just you know disagree with the artist's interpretation of a character and move on.

BULLYING IS NOT AN ISSUE JUST BLOCK THEM LOL

I don't understand why cyber bullying is a serious issue...block the people or stop crying

I'm kinda in between on the issue. I used to believe that cyber bullying was a big issue...but now it kinda confuses me. Maybe its just being on the Internet for so long and becoming numb to drama and harrasment, I'm in that same mindset too of "Just leave the computer, phone" or block them. I know it sounds harsh and cold but...I dunno. The whole issue of cyber bullying is just such a minefield that I don't understand still

• Like 2

BULLYING IS NOT AN ISSUE JUST BLOCK THEM LOL

ookay. Thank you for educating me on how I'm wrong. 

I'm kinda in between on the issue. I used to believe that cyber bullying was a big issue...but now it kinda confuses me. Maybe its just being on the Internet for so long and becoming numb to drama and harrasment, I'm in that same mindset too of "Just leave the computer, phone" or block them. I know it sounds harsh and cold but...I dunno. The whole issue of cyber bullying is just such a minefield that I don't understand still

this is exactly how I feel. I don't understand how people can't ignore it or stay away from wherever until the people forget about you or get bored.

ookay. Thank you for educating me on how I'm wrong. 

this is exactly how I feel. I don't understand how people can't ignore it or stay away from wherever until the people forget about you or get bored.

Anita Sarkeesian, Zoe Quinn, Brianna Wu, and many other women would like to have a word with you.

ffs

in b4 zionist conspiracies

Edited by Kellie Gator

Cyberbullying involves a lot of effort to make someone miserable. Like, there's a difference between one anon with "lol kill urself" and taking the time and effort to stalk them across the 'net and/or Dox a person and promoting lynch mob behavior.

• Like 3

here's the key: There is a HUGE difference between getting into an internet shit fit with other people on the internet over your geeky stuff verses other things, like, your entire 11th grade class spamming you on Facebook to tell you to kill yourself, catfishing you with a fake account that looks like that boy/girl you like, getting dick pics out of you, and then emailing them to your pastor and grandmother.

• Like 3

Cyberbullying involves a lot of effort to make someone miserable. Like, there's a difference between one anon with "lol kill urself" and taking the time and effort to stalk them across the 'net and/or Dox a person and promoting lynch mob behavior.

here's the key: There is a HUGE difference between getting into an internet shit fit with other people on the internet over your geeky stuff verses other things, like, your entire 11th grade class spamming you on Facebook to tell you to kill yourself, catfishing you with a fake account that looks like that boy/girl you like, getting dick pics out of you, and then emailing them to your pastor and grandmother.

See, thats the problem. Too many times when cyberbulling is brought up, the more serious cases are always mixed in with the petty Internet fights. Now those are being classified as cyberbullying now and I think thats bullshit. Stuff like IP stalking and everything else  you mentioned, yeah, I can see how THATS the real cyberbullying

• Like 2

See, thats the problem. Too many times when cyberbulling is brought up, the more serious cases are always mixed in with the petty Internet fights. Now those are being classified as cyberbullying now and I think thats bullshit. Stuff like IP stalking and everything else  you mentioned, yeah, I can see how THATS the real cyberbullying

A lot of the harrassers followed her from tumblr and DA to Twitter and facebook to spam her and hell her "how much she is a racist she is".

After looking at her gallery, I can see how changing the "color" of Garnet (to name one) can be Whitewashing and how the depiction of a NA fluttershy is ignorant, but that can be corrected with some tactful crit. What the over zealous lynch mob have done is turn a small thing into a big thing to justify their cyber bullying.

• Like 2

suicide over internet stuff is a bit extreme, but at the same time I still think cyber bullying is a huge problem.

Yes, there are trolls and assholes on the internet and you have to learn to ignore them. But at the same time, the internet existing doesnt give you the right to be an asshole, you should call people out when theyre being assholes, because people like that tend to use "lol well its the internet get used to it" as justification for harassment, name calling, and threats. You wouldnt yell at or harass someone in real life and tell them "lol, thats just life, get used to it"

Its your responsibility as a person to engage in a civil manner; a forum, an internet account, a website are all social platforms where people communicate, just like how people communicate in real life, too. There are real people on the other side and you have to treat them with respect.

Now, if you're the one getting bullied, dont 'feed the trolls', and yes, block them.

People should learn proper internet safety and etiquette over time, and if its that mentally exhausting that they cant 'get it' they shouldnt be on.

Edited by WolfNightV4X1
  • Like 2

Edit: Also, "Just block them" is a nice solution the internet has because in real life you cant shut people up like you can online. However, that only works on one or a few individuals. If you have crowds of people attacking, or even one persistant individal, thats an issue...that might drive them to change accounts or even attempt suicide.

• Like 3

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/steven-universe-fanartist-bullied-controversy/ 

Here's a decent link. 

If I wasn't already so sick of seeing those characters it would be kind of tempting to post a bunch of skinny drawings of it on tumblr just to fuck with them.

My friend did. It was hilarious.

EDIT: 

I'd also like to add that this girl didn't make the smartest choice in that she put her last name, zip code, P.O. Box, and city on her Tumblr FAQ. Considering this has been ongoing harassment spanning a few dozen blogs and various accounts across several websites, I would not be surprised if some of the hate she got was received on her doorstep despite it not being mentioned. 

Not saying she's at fault for some salty high school SJW's slimy actions. But it definitely makes the job easier putting info out there like that.

Edited by XoPachi
  • Like 1

Doxxing I feel is where the "cyber" part of cyberbullying ends, and it becomes real-life harassment, and should be treated as such. Anything that directly impacts a person's real life in such a  manner (aside from their emotional reactions to things done online) is crossing that bridge.
Those two things should not touch each other, except when it's in the aim of putting dangerous people behind bars.

You can create private Facebooks.
You can create private Twitters.
You can isolate yourself.
It is doable.

Catfishing is something I feel should be treated with an amount of caution by the recipient. Would you send nudes to some random person contacting you, who said they were a celebrity?
No?
Then be a little bit more careful. Tell that motherfucker to get on cam chat first. Talk to them for a while. (At least half a year.)
Practice a little bit of personal safety. Don't just throw yourself, ass up, at the faintest silhouette of a person, just because you're desperate for their validation.

It's not just about blocking. It's an attitude. It's a persistence. It's holding your ground, and filtering the bullshit.

Should people be assholes like this? No.
But you also shouldn't be trying to off yourself over things you could avoid, were you willing to put in the effort.

• Like 3

If this was done in a live adaption like how they whitewashed Katniss What's-her-name from The Hunger games I can understand, but... it's just fanart. For fuck's sake. People can draw whatever they fucking please.

Goddamn basement dwellers, someone oughta mow 'em down with an AC-47 at this point.

Someone doesn't have a fucking clue.

Katniss was whitewashed? I dont recall her being not-white in the books. If anything they seemed pretty good at keeping in with the proper race/nationalities of people to me. Im not sure if youre wrong or Im wrong.

Doxxing I feel is where the "cyber" part of cyberbullying ends, and it becomes real-life harassment, and should be treated as such. Anything that directly impacts a person's real life in such a  manner (aside from their emotional reactions to things done online) is crossing that bridge.
Those two things should not touch each other, except when it's in the aim of putting dangerous people behind bars.

You can create private Facebooks.
You can create private Twitters.
You can isolate yourself.
It is doable.

Catfishing is something I feel should be treated with an amount of caution by the recipient. Would you send nudes to some random person contacting you, who said they were a celebrity?
No?
Then be a little bit more careful. Tell that motherfucker to get on cam chat first. Talk to them for a while. (At least half a year.)
Practice a little bit of personal safety. Don't just throw yourself, ass up, at the faintest silhouette of a person, just because you're desperate for their validation.

It's not just about blocking. It's an attitude. It's a persistence. It's holding your ground, and filtering the bullshit.

Should people be assholes like this? No.
But you also shouldn't be trying to off yourself over things you could avoid, were you willing to put in the effort.

I had to do some major cleanup after my mother pissed off some horse people maybe a year ago. She made it worse by lying and then not telling me, but I got it handled. This lady had a shit ton of people harass my mother on facebook, gave them her phone number and address, and ruined her reputation. People kept calling and coming by the house, but luckily I managed to gather enough evidence to take to the police about various illegal activities the woman performed. I blocked every single phone number and set her facebook to private, and filtered out the messages so she didn't have to see them. After going to the police and buying cameras for the house, after about 3 weeks people forgot about her. 

She still has to deal with a soiled reputation, but she didn't really have a great one to begin with. 

This was mainly caused because my mother didn't know how to act online. She didn't understand the ramifications one post a year ago could make, and that screenshots were a viable threat to her. 

I also understand how mentally taxing it was to her, and how unstable it made her. She wasn't able to think logically about the situation, and just kept fueling the flames even when I told her to stop posting and step back for a bit. 

I guess this isn't common sense to some people, I apologize for thinking it was. 

Maybe dealing with cyber bullies could be a career choice :V 

Katniss was whitewashed? I dont recall her being not-white in the books. If anything they seemed pretty good at keeping in with the proper race/nationalities of people to me. Im not sure if youre wrong or Im wrong.

I think it was mentioned explicitly somewhere that she's olive or whatever the right color is called but I haven't read the novel myself so I'm not entirely sure. Just going by what I've heard.

I think it was mentioned explicitly somewhere that she's olive or whatever the right color is called but I haven't read the novel myself so I'm not entirely sure. Just going by what I've heard.

sounds a bit much to get worked up over her being "white washed" simply because the skin tone wasnt slightly darker in tone. If anything, Ive heard of "fans" being shocked that the little black girl character in the movie was black, despite the book explicitly stating African American

If anything, the movie had some other flaws besides character selection, SJW's can put their craziness aside and do some actual analysis.

I don't like your attitude woman. People can call me off and enlighten me. I'll definitely submit but I don't take slight insults lightly

What I said was an insult? ._____.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, gamergaters and similar people have hilariously thin skin, which is also hypocritical to boot. Gotta stand up to the meanie games journalism bullies who hurt our precious feelings by telling us to stop being harassing assholes. :[ :[ :[

For fuck's sake, harassment is wrong regardless of the target and their ideology. I can't believe I have to explain this to some people.

Edited by Kellie Gator

What I said was an insult? ._____.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, gamergaters and similar people have hilariously thin skin, which is also hypocritical to boot. Gotta stand up to the meanie games journalism bullies who hurt our precious feelings by telling us to stop being harassing assholes. :[ :[ :[

I don't take the bait from someone who have shitload of issues. 

Reminds me of an issue regarding a couple of Dragon Age inquisition mods on the DA-Nexus about making Dorian and Sera straight. Do I see a problem with the mods themselves, yes and i disagree with its creation, but what the creators have stated is that it doesn't erase the fact that Dorian and Sera are gay and lesbian respectively. One ignorant person's headcanon isn't going to destroy the canon of the game and people can always make aware tactfully and not use the mod altogether.

Yet, the fans responded to how the creators should do X and Y because they are racist homophobic bigots. 

Didn't the gal who makes those comics get doxxed and harassed to shit, with death threats sent to her mother or something?

Awful bunch.

But remember, you can't defend Anita Sarkeesian despite her receiving the exact same treatment, SHE ruffled too many feathers.

:V

Edited by Kellie Gator
  • Like 2

I still don't get the argument that you're "erasing representation" by drawing fanart / headcanoning characters however the fuck you want.

It changes nothing about canon. It changes absolutely nothing about the fact that that representation still exists in the base material.
Most fanart and headcanons qualify as AU.

An unassociated artist drawing Garnet white does not change the fact that Garnet is heavily black-coded in the show. It does not make black Garnet disappear.
Same thing with skinny Rose or male gems or whatever the fuck.
It literally does not do fucking anything to the canon characters. At all.
You may as well bitch when people don't eyedropper screenshots for their fanart palettes. (Although I'm sure some people do that shit, too.)

• Like 7

the tumblr population isn't known for mental stability

shame because otherwise its a nice site

Shame we can't just take Tumblr
and push it somewhere else. :v

Although I've seen some projects try and fail in that regard.

Edited by Vae
  • Like 2