"Real" furries?

Mr.Kumquat

As I am fairly new to the fandom, and don't have a fur suit or a fursona, I have run into people on the interwebs that insist I'm not a "real" furry. My first crush was the Robin Hood character from the Disney movie when i was in 3rd grade for crap sake! Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has a similar story and what they did about it. Or if you have your own definition of what a furry is. 

Everyone has different and personal standards concerning what makes or what doesn't make a person "furry", and looks like you haven't met their standards; some even argue that most of the animal cartoon characters you see in TV or in comics aren't bona fide furries, because they're not been conceived with the fandom in mind. So screw everything and make up your own rules for it! If you feel that you'd like to refer at yourself as a furry, I don't think you need other people's approval. Go for it. =D

I remember years and years ago someone labeled me as a "fan" and not a "furry" because the rule 34 art doesn't interest me. I never bothered to counter his beliefs, it never seemed like an argument worth fighting for. xP

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Valery91Thunder said:

So screw everything and make up your own rules for it! If you feel that you'd like to refer at yourself as a furry, I don't think you need other people's approval. Go for it. =D

I remember years and years ago someone labeled me as a "fan" and not a "furry" because the rule 34 art doesn't interest me. I never bothered to counter his beliefs, it never seemed like an argument worth fighting for. xP

I like it :). I mostly say furry because I'm not really attracted to other people. Haven't been on a date in years :/   

There's also the fact it's easier to just say you're a furry than whatever branching-off form you see yourself as, I'll normally go with saying I'm a furry when I see myself as a scaly, it saves me explaining the difference to every Tom, Dick and Harry.

• Like 1

From what I understand, a furry is anyone who is a fan of anthro creatures in any form. There's super crazies out there though who make it an entire lifestyle and are level 9001 furries, but that doesn't make the person who is just a fan of anthro art not furry just because Mr. 9001 comes along and says such and such guideline is required to enter the fandom. You might not be level 9001, but level 1 is something! The same exists for any other fandom though, the crazies make rules forbidding not crazies from labeling themselves as fans so they get to feel special or some shiz. "You don't know this crazy trivia fact that even the creators of that don't know? You haven't invested your life savings into purchasing super rare collectibles from that? Wow, what a scrub!"

• Like 4

it doesn't really make that much sense nor do I particularly care so it doesn't bother me if someone wants to say I'm not a real furry for not doing X, Y, and Z.

1 hour ago, Mr.Kumquat said:

But those are really expensive :( 

that's why you buy from the adoptables :P

(no seriously)

4 hours ago, Mr.Kumquat said:

As I am fairly new to the fandom, and don't have a fur suit or a fursona, I have run into people on the interwebs that insist I'm not a "real" furry. My first crush was the Robin Hood character from the Disney movie when i was in 3rd grade for crap sake! Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has a similar story and what they did about it. Or if you have your own definition of what a furry is. 

You don't need a suit or a fursona to be a furry. I was most likely a furry back in 2009 when I discovered everything, didn't have a solidified fursona til 2011 and a suit til 2015.

I consider anyone who's a fan of anthro's or talking animals to be a furry, if they label themselves as such. I know some people don't like the title "furry", even though they have a fursona and draw anthro art, so I mostly take it as a personal thing.If you want to call yourself a furry, then you're a furry.

• Like 1

i dont consider myself a furry despite shitposting here nonstop and drawing anthropomorphic cat comics in my spare time, cognitive dissonance is a hell of a thing

3 hours ago, #00Buck said:

Irrelevant.

The only question that matters is have you been turned gay by yiff? 

this is inevitable, the yiff comes for us all

21 minutes ago, Pignog said:

i dont consider myself a furry despite shitposting here nonstop and drawing anthropomorphic cat comics in my spare time, cognitive dissonance is a hell of a thing

this is inevitable, the yiff comes for us all

It is only a matter of time. 

I can only hope this happens when I am in the old age home and too feeble to fight back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saxon said:

I sort of expect that if you drew a space with different interests positioned in it, that the furry interests would be very tightly clustered, and you could draw a ring around them and say 'that's what the furry is'. 

This is already done in music, actually, and the different styles emerge as tight clusters. 

Ask 7 furry folks what the fandom is to them; get 8 answers. 

10 minutes ago, TheGreatFanatic said:

Well mine was probably Jenny Wakeman, can't remember. I didn't exactly write it down.

I never understood people who remember this shit. Like I literally never had one, then again I was a weird kid. Or maybe that makes me a normal kid? Hard to say.

Now as an adult though that's different seeing as I'm a creepy weirdo pervert.

Edited by PastryOfApathy
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, willow said:

the adoptions section on Bad Dragon's website has a bunch of stuff that you can sometimes get for cheap

Perhaps i will keep that in mind. And by that i mean "probably check daily"

4 minutes ago, funky3000 said:

"Real furries" is a concept that only works on isolated lab simulations run by quantum computers. They tried bringing the concept to the real world but it ended up becoming an amalgamation of yiff and fur and fetishes.

I for one welcome our cybernetic overlords.

3 minutes ago, Half-Note said:

Why would you even care about the standards that others set? Up to you wether or not you define yourself as a furry, since it's only you that can really tell.

It's not that I feel the need to be accepted by anyone or anything like that. I figured i was into this sort of thing years ago, but only now am i reaching out to others. So, naturally I'm curious about some things :)

2 minutes ago, Mr.Kumquat said:

It's not that I feel the need to be accepted by anyone or anything like that. I figured i was into this sort of thing years ago, but only now am i reaching out to others. So, naturally I'm curious about some things :)

Just dont get TOO curious..it gets..interesting pretty fast

3 hours ago, Mr.Kumquat said:

I recommend you search up anal vore or diaperfur on FA. That stuff is... Well, furry fandom at the deepest levels.

What is the deal with vore, period? To each their own, but I surely do not get the appeal of being eaten, and I don't quite get how that becomes a fetish.

Was looking for the Batty Rap from Ferngully on Youtube the other day, and someone had uploaded the goana lizard's rap under the title of Ferngully Vore Scene.

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY.

(Tone Loc rules, btw.)

On 1/26/2016 at 5:52 AM, PastryOfApathy said:

Anyone who seriously runs around labeling people as "true" furries is demonstrably retarded and not worth listening to.

So you're saying all the dog dicks I sucked to get this Certifurcate of Furchievement were for nothing?