Rant: College Costs

FenrirDarkWolf

[Moderator removed go-fund-me link for privacy purposes. Things that happen during PM I have no idea about]

Really though, if I don't get my fees paid off by next month, I'm going to get kicked out of school.

It's just.. frustrating that it costs so much and this is STILL one of the cheaper four-year colleges in Texas.

Aaaaannnnddddd this is why I've pretty much decided to forego college and try to make it on my own with my writing. It's too damn expensive and is nothing but money grubbing at this point. Have you taken out loans? I did that, but they still didn't cover the needed amount, which I'm going to guess is the boat your in.

Anyways, I'm saving for a lot of pretty expensive things right now, but I'll see how my funds are looking after all my bills are paid off this week and see if I can do anything for you <3 I might not want to go to college, but might as well support those who do.

3 minutes ago, GamingGal said:

Aaaaannnnddddd this is why I've pretty much decided to forego college and try to make it on my own with my writing. It's too damn expensive and is nothing but money grubbing at this point. Have you taken out loans? I did that, but they still didn't cover the needed amount, which I'm going to guess is the boat your in.

Anyways, I'm saving for a lot of pretty expensive things right now, but I'll see how my funds are looking after all my bills are paid off this week and see if I can do anything for you <3 I might not want to go to college, but might as well support those who do.

Yeah, that's exactly how my life it. 9500 dollars in loans already ;n;

Thanks for that <3

Honestly, I'm really questioning if it's going to be worth it, mostly because of the costs, but I'm hoping it is.

Edited by FenrirDarkWolf

Just be an orphan and have the state pay for your education. Or drop out and apprentice to a trade. I don't understand why people don't put in the research before going into school, and pick a major or apprenticeship that they enjoy and will have a pay off. 

Edited by Brazen
  • Like 1

Just now, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Honestly, I'm really questioning if it's going to be worth it, mostly because of the costs, but I'm hoping it is.

Geez, almost 10k in loans? I seriously hope you're close to finished ;-; I guess since your degree is in Business that it would prove more worth it than, say, a degree in Journalism or English, which is what I wanted. If I was you I'd look at the average salary for the degree you want and then how much you're going to be paying back in loans for how long. Generally the government will work with you on a good payment plan that fits your budget, but interest is a bitch and no one wants to be stuck paying something back for literally their entire life. I only have about 4k in loans right now and I'm groaning at paying it off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GamingGal said:

Geez, almost 10k in loans? I seriously hope you're close to finished ;-; I guess since your degree is in Business that it would prove more worth it than, say, a degree in Journalism or English, which is what I wanted. If I was you I'd look at the average salary for the degree you want and then how much you're going to be paying back in loans for how long. Generally the government will work with you on a good payment plan that fits your budget, but interest is a bitch and no one wants to be stuck paying something back for literally their entire life. I only have about 4k in loans right now and I'm groaning at paying it off.

...I'm a second semester freshman.

6 minutes ago, Brazen said:

Just be an orphan and have the state pay for your education. Or drop out and apprentice to a trade. I don't understand why people don't put in the research before going into school, and pick a major or apprenticeship that they enjoy and will have a pay off. 

Well, when you fuck up the audition for the major you originally wanted, and that major wouldn't have gotten you a lot of money anyway wellll :V

6 minutes ago, GamingGal said:

......yeeaaahhh....I wish you the best >.< Just be careful alright? It's super easy to drown in that shit.

Yeah... I'm trying to avoid any more loans as I can.

3 minutes ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

May want to consider getting 2 year degree at a community college then transfer back to this school to finish BA as a means of cutting cost. Doing the full four years at those places are insanely pricey.

I might, it's been on my mind...

3 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Yeah... I'm trying to avoid any more loans as I can.

I might, it's been on my mind...

If I was you, I would absolutely do my first two years at a community college. Those classes, as I'm sure you know, are going to be just your cores and stuff. You won't get to your main stuff until the last two years, so no need paying extra for classes that are literally the same everywhere.

1 minute ago, GamingGal said:

If I was you, I would absolutely do my first two years at a community college. Those classes, as I'm sure you know, are going to be just your cores and stuff. You won't get to your main stuff until the last two years, so no need paying extra for classes that are literally the same everywhere.

The thing is... I've already taken almost all my core classes. I've been doing major classes mostly.

I took a lot of my core classes with dual-credit in HS.

How's your part time job situation? I know its tough, but there's a lot of ways to chip away at the total cost. Its still a horrifying debt to stomach. :/ 

--

Mod note: Personal information that includes where you live, first and last name and a picture of you aren't good ideas on places where you know what sort of folks have access to places like Phoenix or really anywhere in the furry fandom. I removed it publically just to be cautious, but if you're interested you can PM and such. Please understand I'm not removing because I'm an asshole, but because personal information is incredibly important to keep under wraps on the internet. 

1 minute ago, Lemon said:

How's your part time job situation? I know its tough, but there's a lot of ways to chip away at the total cost. Its still a horrifying debt to stomach. :/  

I've been trying to find, but there's just not a whole lot in town. Most of them are in the towns over and I can't drive and my two friends who can drive have things of their own they have to do.

43 minutes ago, Brazen said:

But apprentices are from ye old medieval times. I really do like the idea of working under someone for years/life and mastering a craft by process of doing.

Probably the only thing they dun right way back when since that plague shit sucked and all

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Yeah, that's exactly how my life it. 9500 dollars in loans already ;n;

Thanks for that <3

Don't worry. Wait until you finally have that degree in gender studies.

That's when the cash starts to roll in. 

• Like 2

by the end of of my undergraduate degree i will have to pay an estimated 56K in loans... and my whole college is paid for by my baseball and academic scholarship, that's just the loans for my meal plan and my housing :/ Luckily my parents have enough money to help out a bit, especially since i was hospitalized and have to pay that like 5k dollar bill >.<

13 hours ago, GarthTheWereWolf said:

May want to consider getting 2 year degree at a community college then transfer back to this school to finish BA as a means of cutting cost. Doing the full four years at those places are insanely pricey.

a lot of people have been doing this at my university and the payoff is huge in multiple ways.

edit: just saw the post a few above, i'm a fool~

Edited by evan

1 minute ago, evan said:

a lot of people have been doing this at my university and the payoff is huge in multiple ways.

I did my first two years at community college. Zero debt and the classes were a lot smaller in size.

Actually, I know a number of graduate students who started with community college.

There's no shame in starting at a community college. I have a friend who did the whole 4 years at a university, and she's over 40k in debt, or something nuts like that. I didn't go to college since I interned and worked my way up, but school sounds so hard. I can't imagine the stress you must be going through. I wish you luck.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Onnes said:

I did my first two years at community college. Zero debt and the classes were a lot smaller in size.

Actually, I know a number of graduate students who started with community college.

all of this only further proves to me that a lot of students get ripped off when their high school tells them to skip community college and that they have to get out into uni as soon as possible. it's just not realistic financially.

Edited by evan

12 minutes ago, evan said:

all of this only further proves to me that a lot of students get ripped off when their high school tells them to skip community college and that they have to get out into uni as soon as possible. it's just not realistic financially.

The only problem is, as I said, I'd mostly be finishing up basics at the community college in my hometown.

...And I finish basics this year.

In fact, it's not even tuition that's expensive. It's fucking room and board.

53 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Applying to study in Germany, as an outsider, is actually pretty difficult. For example, as far as I know, the integrated master's I'm earning wouldn't be recognised in Germany, because German Universities often require you to take a specific format of qualifications, so I would be forced to take a separate course before I could apply to for a PHD in a German University. 

Well we do have more and more international graduations :D

Just a matter of time

do you apply/qualify for the FAFSA? sometimes you can get your entire year covered for free if you apply early enough.

I honestly hope that one day something will happen to make university either cheaper or you know, free. it's so unfair that everyone has to worry about how they're going to pay for it on top of the actual stress of school itself. and people wonder why over half of the adult population is uneducated :/

this is also why I legitimately considered doing my masters at Uni Salzburg. it's not 100% free but it's an 18 Euro activity fee on top of rent, which is still not even half of what I pay for school now...

Edited by willow

32 minutes ago, willow said:

do you apply/qualify for the FAFSA? sometimes you can get your entire year covered for free if you apply early enough.

I honestly hope that one day something will happen to make university either cheaper or you know, free. it's so unfair that everyone has to worry about how they're going to pay for it on top of the actual stress of school itself. and people wonder why over half of the adult population is uneducated :/

this is also why I legitimately considered doing my masters at Uni Salzburg. it's not 100% free but it's an 18 Euro activity fee on top of rent, which is still not even half of what I pay for school now...

I did, but I ended up applying late so I didn't get quite as much as I could, sadly enough =n=

not reading this thread AT ALL but im gonna chime in any way with my rightass opinions. here they are: college is bad. its bad and you should fire a friggin pbazooka strait into the registrars office... blast those financier"s records sky high., then watch the flaming forms and bureaucratic mumbo jumbo punch cards as they descend on the grassy plains of harvard or wherever... like lovely red cherry blossom pedals in you're favourite anime. i think if we all work tofether and do this we'll bring about real substantive change.well this has been another good post, good luck friend

25 minutes ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

I did, but I ended up applying late so I didn't get quite as much as I could, sadly enough =n=

ah, I see then. could you possibly look up scholarships? you may be able to find something to help you out since it's still pretty early in the semester

16 minutes ago, Pignog said:

not reading this thread AT ALL but im gonna chime in any way with my rightass opinions. here they are: college is bad. its bad and you should fire a friggin pbazooka strait into the registrars office... blast those financier"s records sky high., then watch the flaming forms and bureaucratic mumbo jumbo punch cards as they descend on the grassy plains of harvard or wherever... like lovely red cherry blossom pedals in you're favourite anime. i think if we all work tofether and do this we'll bring about real substantive change.well this has been another good post, good luck friend

now that's what I call edgy :v

3 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

In fact, it's not even tuition that's expensive. It's fucking room and board.

Do you have to live on campus? If not, get the hell off campus and into a cheap apartment with roommates. It's literally way less expensive and a more bang for your buck type of situation.

What do you plan on doing with your degree anyways? Could you possibly take a year or two off to start working on climbing that proverbial ladder?

49 minutes ago, GamingGal said:

Do you have to live on campus? If not, get the hell off campus and into a cheap apartment with roommates. It's literally way less expensive and a more bang for your buck type of situation.

What do you plan on doing with your degree anyways? Could you possibly take a year or two off to start working on climbing that proverbial ladder?

Freshman and I believe Sophomores HAVE to live on Campus, I'll have to look into the Sophomore one, but I know Freshman who live past a certain distance away IE me, have to live on Campus.

As for my degree... Hopefully land myself a job with a nice company and, as you say, climb up the proverbial ladder.

1 minute ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Freshman and I believe Sophomores HAVE to live on Campus, I'll have to look into the Sophomore one, but I know Freshman who live past a certain distance away IE me, have to live on Campus.

As for my degree... Hopefully land myself a job with a nice company and, as you say, climb up the proverbial ladder.

Ah, that ole joke >.> 

I say maybe consider looking for an externship or something. Not that college is a bad idea cause it is awesome for some people.

19 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR STUPID SYSTEM IS WRONG. D:  However it explains some more about all those college movies that I don't understand!

Also I live two hours away and I literally knew nobody here PARDON ME MA'AM.

But I digress, if I make to next semester, I'm considering moving into my friend's apartment if I have a job and/or money.

24 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR STUPID SYSTEM IS WRONG. D:  However it explains some more about all those college movies that I don't understand!

Everything in our system is wrong. : (

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

As odd the forced arrangement may seem, it does do a lot to teach young adults how to live independently and responsibly. Many of them have never lived away from their parents before and it provides a degree of structured freedom, sheltering them from certain difficulties while opening them up to other that they must learn to cope with.

Edited by DrGravitas
Word choice

1 hour ago, DrGravitas said:

As odd the forced arrangement may seem, it does do a lot to teach young adults how to live independently and responsibly. Many of them have never lived away from their parents before and it provides a degree of structured freedom, sheltering them from certain difficulties while opening them up to other that they must learn to cope with.

I'd say young people today are the least independent people I've ever seen. 

Ability to cope = zero. As evidenced by the need for "safe spaces" and other such weak ass bullshit. 

Minimizing the costs once you are already in is difficult, but keep your GPA up, carry your ID when you go off-campus, and try to get and hold a part-time job with a large company.

You can still get scholarships once you are in, having your ID could save you money in stores if they offer student discounts, and large companies often help pay for their employees' education. The key to all of these, though, is that you have to look for them and ask.

17 hours ago, #00Buck said:

I'd say young people today are the least independent people I've ever seen. 

Ability to cope = zero. As evidenced by the need for "safe spaces" and other such weak ass bullshit. 

That sounds familiar...

Their lives are mainly spent not in memory but in expectation; for expectation refers to the future, memory to the past, and youth has a long future before it and a short past behind it: on the first day of one's life one has nothing at all to remember, and can only look forward. They are easily cheated, owing to the sanguine disposition just mentioned... They have exalted notions, because they have not yet been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things, and that means having exalted notions. They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning... They are ready to pity others, because they think every one an honest man, or anyhow better than he is: they judge their neighbor by their own harmless natures, and so cannot think he deserves to be treated in that way.

Oh yeah. The same thing is said in Rhetoric - a 4th century B.C.E. treatise.

People have been claiming that the youth were dangerously sheltered, emotional, and inclined towards excessive justice since before written history.

I'd like an estimate as to when we will truly have the least independent youth that will ever exist. That point has to be coming soon; thousands of years of youth being disastrously so should result in youth that cannot function at some point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MalletFace said:

Minimizing the costs once you are already in is difficult, but keep your GPA up, carry your ID when you go off-campus, and try to get and hold a part-time job with a large company.

You can still get scholarships once you are in, having your ID could save you money in stores if they offer student discounts, and large companies often help pay for their employees' education. The key to all of these, though, is that you have to look for them and ask.

That sounds familiar...

Oh yeah. The same thing is said in Rhetoric - a 4th century B.C.E. treatise.

People have been claiming that the youth were dangerously sheltered, emotional, and inclined towards excessive justice since before written history.

I'd like an estimate as to when we will truly have the least independent youth that will ever exist. That point has to be coming soon; thousands of years of youth being disastrously so should result in youth that cannot function at some point.

Usually people say crappy stuff about the youth right before Rome burns to the ground or the village gets raped by barbarians. 

People tend to smarten up after reaping the consequences of their stupidity. 

1 hour ago, MalletFace said:

I'll look around, but, as I've said before, most of the jobs are at least a 10-20 minute drive away in Greenville or a 30 minute drive to Sulphur Springs or Rockwall and I can't drive.

4 hours ago, #00Buck said:

Usually people say crappy stuff about the youth right before Rome burns to the ground or the village gets raped by barbarians. 

People tend to smarten up after reaping the consequences of their stupidity. 

Classical Greece into Hellenistic Greece is not exactly Rome burning down.

Alexander the Great and those that would run the states he left behind in death were the youth being talked about in Rhetoric. Contrary to what Aristotle would have thought, these men - and women in the case of the Ptolemaic Kingdom - helped to expand trade, knowledge, and culture across the West.

Eratosthenes and Archimedes would not have been the men they had without that youth of Hellenistic Greece having exactly the qualities Aristotle denounced, for example.

4 hours ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

I'll look around, but, as I've said before, most of the jobs are at least a 10-20 minute drive away in Greenville or a 30 minute drive to Sulphur Springs or Rockwall and I can't drive.

Not even something like a big-name convenience store nearby? Even though it may not be a lot, they have some of the most underused benefits for students.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2016 at 2:11 PM, FenrirDarkWolf said:

But Im getting a Bussiness Analytics major

What's a Business Analytics?

On 2/4/2016 at 8:05 PM, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Nooooooooooooo! Why do people think that way all the time 😢 (I mean, I know why, but I wish we'd stop brainwashing people into thinking that way)

I'm all about business. There's not much you can learn from it in college that you can't learn outside of college, though college does give you a more structured curriculum. But, the most important things about business you won't learn in or get from college anyway. I'd even suggest actually reaching out and trying to see what you can get in your desired field right now, even if it's just finding someone who does the same things and befriending and learning from them.

But then, I still have $65k of student debt left (and got a Bachelors and Master's in business) so maybe I'm not the guy to listen to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rassah said:

What's a Business Analytics?

Business Analytics is the analysing of huge amounts of data, and organising them in such a way that it can help figure out how to make a business grow stronger.

1 hour ago, Rassah said:

Nooooooooooooo! Why do people think that way all the time 😢 (I mean, I know why, but I wish we'd stop brainwashing people into thinking that way)

I'm all about business. There's not much you can learn from it in college that you can't learn outside of college, though college does give you a more structured curriculum. But, the most important things about business you won't learn in or get from college anyway. I'd even suggest actually reaching out and trying to see what you can get in your desired field right now, even if it's just finding someone who does the same things and befriending and learning from them.

But then, I still have $65k of student debt left (and got a Bachelors and Master's in business) so maybe I'm not the guy to listen to.

Well, there's not many other students that major in it here, as it's a relatively new field of study for the school. I'll see what I can do, and I'll look around for some businesses, but there's not a lot in town.

...YEAH why should I listen to you, you should just throw your money at me >:V

• Like 1

On 2/3/2016 at 0:30 AM, GamingGal said:

My ex girlfriend had 60k in student loan debt. That isn't why we broke up, but I'm glad it's somebody else's problem now.

Edited by Xaende
  • Like 1