Rant: That "skin crawling" feeling

DevilishlyHandsome49

Nah, no pets but oh my god, that must've been terrible

I think its my fear of bugs crawling on me in the dark and my brain is just constantly pulling tricks on me. Maybe to keep me on my toes for when it does happen?

The medical term is formication. It's a hallucination of sorts. Your brain probably thinks something is actually crawling on your skin, when it isn't. It's not necessarily something to worry about, but if it keeps up you may want to see a doctor. I used to get shit like that because I was afraid of the dark, so my mind would go into overdrive trying to make me turn on the light. I hated it.

• Like 1

Skin crawling symptoms can be an early symptom of other illnesses or side effects of others issues that lead to skin picking, or dermotillomania. Body focused repetitive behaviors have many etiologies. Anxiety, depression, personality disorders, and substance withdrawal (ETOH, Opioids, Tramadol, Meth etc.).

Edited by nurseeyeroll

The medical term is formication. It's a hallucination of sorts. Your brain probably thinks something is actually crawling on your skin, when it isn't. It's not necessarily something to worry about, but if it keeps up you may want to see a doctor. I used to get shit like that because I was afraid of the dark, so my mind would go into overdrive trying to make me turn on the light. I hated it.

Formication... Does this term have something to do with ants? That's clever.

A year or so ago, I kept waking up to super loud noises (tires screeching, cars crashing, explosion noises, etc) that weren't actually there. It was weird. I'd wake up in a panic, and walk out into the hallway to listen and see if the noise woke anyone else up too, but it was all in my head. It was really stressful to wake up like that, but thankfully I don't get that sensation anymore.

• Like 1

Formication... Does this term have something to do with ants? That's clever.

A year or so ago, I kept waking up to super loud noises (tires screeching, cars crashing, explosion noises, etc) that weren't actually there. It was weird. I'd wake up in a panic, and walk out into the hallway to listen and see if the noise woke anyone else up too, but it was all in my head. It was really stressful to wake up like that, but thankfully I don't get that sensation anymore.

I had to look up formication, but I knew it had a medical term. However, what you're describing there is actually known as "Exploding Head Syndrome". This shit fascinates me, which is why I know about it. It's not as scary as it sounds, it's just a peculiar condition. And yep, apparently "formication" comes from the Latin "formicare", crawl like an ant. Which is funny, because the Danish word is "myrekryb", which is really just "ant crawl".

I had to look up formication, but I knew it had a medical term. However, what you're describing there is actually known as "Exploding Head Syndrome". This shit fascinates me, which is why I know about it. It's not as scary as it sounds, it's just a peculiar condition. And yep, apparently "formication" comes from the Latin "formicare", crawl like an ant. Which is funny, because the Danish word is "myrekryb", which is really just "ant crawl".

I'm aware of the name, as I had looked it up when I was feeling the effects of it. I wasn't trying to imply that this was the same thing as formication though, sorry if I was unclear.

Exploding Head Syndrome is kind of a cool name too, I guess. Sounds like a good band name.

• Like 1

I'm aware of the name, as I had looked it up when I was feeling the effects of it. I wasn't trying to imply that this was the same thing as formication though, sorry if I was unclear.

Exploding Head Syndrome is kind of a cool name too, I guess. Sounds like a good band name.

Ahhh, gotcha. I might have just needed a bit of reading comprehension on my part :P