BREXIT

Brexit Poll  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brexit a good idea?

• Yeah
    • Nah

How not to win a vote:

Call the other side racist and compare them to nazis whilst claiming they're on the "wrong side of history".

I'm not sure yet if Brexit will be a good thing. I expect it'll take a while for things to calm down, but, I'm hopeful we'll do well outside Europe after an initial period of difficulty.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cingal said:

How not to win a vote:

Call the other side racist and compare them to nazis whilst claiming they're on the "wrong side of history".

I'm not sure yet if Brexit will be a good thing. I expect it'll take a while for things to calm down, but, I'm hopeful we'll do well outside Europe after an initial period of difficulty.

I see you're wearing the UK with much pride on your profile today!

Just now, Sir Gibby said:

St. George's flag with a familiar little red dragon in the middle would look nice!

St. George's flag with a familiar little red dragon in the middle would look nice!

So nice you said it twice I guess. ;3

I don't really think the English would put Wales on center stage like that. Unless it was a sheep instead of a dragon. :V

My family wants me to sign the petition asking for a second referendum. lol

I mean I would have voted remain if I was able to vote, but the result is what it is. Getting salty that Remain didn't win and pleading for a second referendum isn't the way to go. Looking forward and hoping the UK ends up in the best situation possible when it does eventually leave is the thing to do, not sign a petition for a referendum that will never happen. 

Seeing as we're in Scotland the best thing to do would be to sign the petition asking for a second independence referendum, as Scotland does have a genuine excuse for it now that we voted almost two-thirds for remain. Asking for another UK-wide referendum is dumb and undemocratic.

Also I find it ironic that with all the young people around my age complaining about older people voting Brexit and "not considering our future", only 36% of 18-24 year olds voted in this referendum (according to Sky)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sutekh_the_Steak said:

Also I find it ironic that with all the young people around my age complaining about older people voting Brexit and "not considering our future", only 36% of 18-24 year olds voted in this referendum (according to Sky)

reminds me of people voting for Bernie here.

A lot of them are that age, and a WHOLE LOT of them bitch that he didn't get the nomination...

but barely any of them voted.

1 hour ago, FenrirDarkWolf said:

Because I'd rather not live in a state where progress will go back to like, the 1850s

It might go the other way. Cosider that a lot of tech startups are escaping from California into TX, and things like Uber, Lyft, and Airbnb were just banned in the entire state of New York. I think things may actually be regressing up here.

38 minutes ago, Sutekh_the_Steak said:

I mean I would have voted remain if I was able to vote, but the result is what it is. Getting salty that Remain didn't win and pleading for a second referendum isn't the way to go. Looking forward and hoping the UK ends up in the best situation possible when it does eventually leave is the thing to do, not sign a petition for a referendum that will never happen. 

Seeing as we're in Scotland the best thing to do would be to sign the petition asking for a second independence referendum, as Scotland does have a genuine excuse for it now that we voted almost two-thirds for remain. Asking for another UK-wide referendum is dumb and undemocratic.

There's a lot of 'remain salt' and 'remain tears' or whatever you want to call it.

But the same would have happened even if we had voted to remain. There would be even more tin-foil hat conspiracies about the UK's democratic system being a lie and that the election was rigged. There'd probably also be calls for a second referendum, too.

• Like 2

I'd like to see this become our new national anthem.

I give you a toast Ladies and gentlemen,
I give you a toast Ladies and gentlemen
May this fair land we love so well,
In Dignity and freedom dwell.
while worlds may change and go awry,
Whilst there is still one voice to cry!---
There'll always be an England,
While there's a country lane.
Wherever there's a cottage small
Beside a field of grain
There'll always be an England
While there's a busy street.
Wherever there's a turning wheel
A million marching feet.
Red, white and blue
What does it mean to you?
Surely you're proud
Shout it loud
Britons awake!
The Empire too
We can depend on you.
Freedom remains
These are the chains
Nothing can break.
There'll always be an England
And England shall be free
If England means as much to you
As England means to me.

8 minutes ago, Toshabi said:

Can we just have a flag with Toshabi on it taking a piss all over the letters "EU"? I wanna be popufur.

Sorry, but it should really be a pro-leave politician to do such a thing.

You can always get popufur by e-whoring yourself out!

Now that the second day of independence is coming to an end, I'm going to (somewhat) stop my obnoxious dick-waving and drinking, and ask, what should we do now?

Should we be having a Brexit re-vote? Should the Scots be having a second go at seceding from the UK?

I would say 100% no on the Brexit re-vote, but I'm biased for obvious reasons. But I really do think the Scots should have a second referendum and not because I actually hate Scots, but I think that this referendum is another example of how different our demographics choose to vote.

Generally speaking, Scot voters and representatives like to support the opposite of what the English want. On the topic of the EU specifically, when the proto-EU started, the English wanted in, the Scots wanted out. Here, we wanted out, but the Scots wanted in. Scots also like more and more "free" things that the English tend to pay for, and also want other things like more mass immigration, but those immigrants flood lower-to-middle class English locales much more so than Scottish ones (ye racist tory coonts, etc.). I think Scotland should "leave" the UK. I think we should stop affecting each other so closely but I really, really don't think the Scots should join the EU, and that's for their sake.

Ultimately, they're going to have to make a choice if they want to benefit from the EU or the UK, because they're not going to be able to have their haggis and eat it too.

TL;DR we should continue a union but on new terms.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

Now that the second day of independence is coming to an end, I'm going to (somewhat) stop my obnoxious dick-waving and drinking, and ask, what should we do now?

Make that a permanent thing, it suits you well.

16 minutes ago, Sir Gibby said:

Should we be having a Brexit re-vote? Should the Scots be having a second go at seceding from the UK?

A re-vote would be appropriate if there was a significant fact change OR there is reasonable doubt about the validity (i,e, it is not just tinfoil hats assuming cheating, maybe for for participation so bad that one can question if that vote really was representative)

Brexit? Not heard a good reason for a revote.

Scots? Should have another one. Brexit is a significant fact change.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sutekh_the_Steak said:

Let 'em have a second referendum. Then once 'leave' wins again, watch as they find another desperate way out of the inevitable.

Also more salty EU tears.

vZ88QcL.png

byIJUcO.png

eLLpqbj.png

0RfQnsh.jpg

cmj8YOn.png

Yyckiz6.png

66d65UE.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Gibby said:

if vapid city boys wanted us to remain so badly, they should have stopped virtue signalling to go and actually vote

meanwhile i spread leaflets all over the place whilst donating over the past year

"I won't bother voting since 'Remain' is a shoe-in to win."

That's how democracy works boys. If you don't vote, you can't bitch.

• Like 1

Would be pretty funny if Scotland voted to get out, but then EU refused to take them and their issues in.

What is this future that all these people are lamenting that they've lost? And isn't England, like, "white people?"

FB_IMG_1466906202159.jpg

13 minutes ago, Rassah said:

Be like Switzerland, guys.

FB_IMG_1466907851417.jpg

That is a nice meme you got there. It is also similar to the product of bovine digestion...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland–European_Union_relations

These negotiations resulted in a total of ten treaties, negotiated in two phases, the sum of which makes a large share of EU law applicable to Switzerland. The treaties are:

Bilateral I agreements (signed 1999, in force 1 June 2002)

Free movement of people; Air traffic; Road traffic; Agriculture; Technical trade barriers; Public procurement; Science;

Bilateral II agreements

Security and asylum and Schengen membership; Cooperation in fraud pursuits; Final stipulations in open questions about agriculture, environment, media, education, care of the elderly, statistics and services.

The Bilateral I agreements are expressed to be mutually dependent. If any one of them is denounced or not renewed, they all cease to apply. According to the preamble of the EU decision ratifying the agreements:

The seven agreements are intimately linked to one another by the requirement that they are to come into force at the same time and that they are to cease to apply at the same time, six months after the receipt of a non-renewal or denunciation notice concerning any one of them.

"adopts 0% of EU Rules" nope.

Free movement of people... I have a hunch that the brexiters wouldn't like that.

(But i know, speaking against memes is the sin of "nerd essay")

The decision makes me wonder about a few things though.

1. What happens to the UK people who live abroad in continental Europe? Are all those retirees in Spain and southern France going to have to move back to Slough? And what of the workers who are from other EU nations? Will they have to return home?

2.  If most of the young people support remain (and as the older "leave" voters die off)...isn't it likely England would try to rejoin the EU in a matter of decades? A lot of people in London voted to remain...isn't London a major financial center in England? Seems like delaying the inevitable. 

3. Nigel Farage backtracks on the promise of Leave to guarantee that the 350 million that would be sent to the EU would be spent rather on the NHS. That's deceiving. (But not unsurprising from politicians I guess) http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-result-nigel-farage-nhs-pledge-disowns-350-million-pounds-a7099906.html Do any people who voted "leave" feel cheated?

1) Such a statist question. It's sad it needs to be asked. People should just be able to live anywhere someone is willing to sell them a house or rent them a flat.

2) Assuming EU is even around in ten years... London is also a major government center, so people there are both more used to and more dependent on governments 😞(working for, not welfare).

1 hour ago, Toboe said:

That is a nice meme you got there. It is also similar to the product of bovine digestion...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland–European_Union_relations

"adopts 0% of EU Rules" nope.

Free movement of people... I have a hunch that the brexiters wouldn't like that.

That would be the "Has it's own tailored EU deal." Meme is still sound.